Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New findings of Thracian Archeology

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New findings of Thracian Archeology
    Posted: 18-Jul-2007 at 06:15
Two days ago Bulgarian archeologists Georgi Kitov found new golden mask and new ring/seal in the Valey of Thracian Kings in Bulgaria. here are the findings:

Note that actuall inscription on the ring should most likely be read in mirror reflection.

Edited by Anton - 18-Jul-2007 at 06:18
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2007 at 19:07
Anton, this is what i have been looking for lately! Clap

I'm reading about Phrygians nowdays. Some linguists believe that some indoeuropean invaders of the balcans sharing a common language way back separated and created different linguistic groups like Greek, Phrygian and Armenian. While some entered Greece and together with the natives resulted the Greek language, others passed through Thrace and resulted the Phrygian language. Anyway, Thracian is a good point to start such a research!

I flipped the coin and read the following Shiysha Tiritos (ΣΗΥΣΑ ΤΗΡΗΤΟΣ). That is how you read the text on the coin. Doesn't make sense at all in Greek but I guess that is the name of the guy depicted.

Do you have any other material where the Thracian Language is written with Greek letters? It would help me a lot.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2007 at 06:38
I found only this online:

But you probably know it. From the discussion in Bulgarian forum I understood that Tiritos have meaning in Greek. But I might be mistaken.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2007 at 06:50
In addition to Duridanov's book in Kroraina there is also a book of Dimiter Detschew entitled "Die thrakischen Sprachreste" where you can find a list of all known Thracian words with the texts (mostly Greek) in which those words are met. That is very good reference book.
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2007 at 07:34
BWT excavations are 15 km away from my hometown Sliven in a village called Topolchani where i've been many times.Soon the findings will be exhibited in Sliven History Museum.There were also found many other small items including two rhytons and few golden cups.According to proffessor George Kitov the treasure is unique because all items excluding the golden mask are unique and never were found similar models.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 08:02
Originally posted by Anton

I found only this online:

But you probably know it. From the discussion in Bulgarian forum I understood that Tiritos have meaning in Greek. But I might be mistaken.

Thanks!
I visited kroraina a long time ago. Very good site. Had forgotten about it.

The closest equivalent to tiritos would be the verb tireo/tiro which means eather "I take care" or "I watch over". We also say in some parts of Greece "ti tiras?" which means "what are you looking at?".

However, i think in the case of the coin the name is some thracian word. As for Shiysa (ΣΗΥΣΑ)...We never use the combination ΗΥ which are two 'i' sounds together. Y next to a vocal becomes short F or V. However, that vowel can never be H. So obviously they use the vowels differently. Maybe, Y has a completely different usage/sounding in Thracian that it has in Greek.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 10:34

Well, the way of painting doesn't remind me Greek either.  By the way would you read it as Shiisa or Ziiza? Can it be read as Ziuza or Shiusa? What I wonder is where are the papers this seal stamped on? What was written on them?

Edited by Anton - 21-Jul-2007 at 10:36
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 10:38
Originally posted by Krum

.According to proffessor George Kitov the treasure is unique

According to Kitov, everything he finds is unique Wink
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 18:11
Originally posted by Flipper

The closest equivalent to tiritos would be the verb tireo/tiro which means eather "I take care" or "I watch over". We also say in some parts of Greece "ti tiras?" which means "what are you looking at?".

You are probably right "tirit-os"=tireo/tiro ="I take care" or "I watch over".
It makes sense even in albanian "ti rrit"= I take care" or "I watch over".
when smb takes care of you until you are grown up
We say "Ti ritsh femijet"=to take care for a child until grown up and become a man

About SIISA we have in albanian the word "sisa"=feeding with breast
the "I" is a long one.
But I dont think  this is the right explanation in this case, most likely is a coincidence.
This script must be a person name.

I think Illyrian+thrakians+greeks=1 race

Edited by ZEUS10 - 22-Jul-2007 at 21:23
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 04:33

Well, the way of painting doesn't remind me Greek either.  By the way would you read it as Shiisa or Ziiza? Can it be read as Ziuza or Shiusa? What I wonder is where are the papers this seal stamped on? What was written on them?

Not Shiusa for sure (ypsilon is I not U)...The question is how they used the vowels. I can't answer to that. Obviously the Y has a different grammatic usage in their language.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 09:11
There is a proposition from Bulgarian linguists that it is a variant of "Sevt (Seuta) son of Tiritos"
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 11:58

There is a proposition from Bulgarian linguists that it is a variant of "Sevt (Seuta) son of Tiritos"

So the Greek Ita (H) was read as E? Interresting.

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 19:53

Looks like they are suggesting that this might be a Seuthes.  "Tiritos" looks quite a ways like Teres, the founder of the Odrysean Kingdom, and we know that Seuthes I was the son of Sparadocus, and grandson of Teres.   
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 03:45
Indeed the genitive form of Teres (Teris) would be "Tiritos".

In Greece (and I suppose in many other places) no surname was used, so one was known by his name and the name of his father plus the city he was coming from.  Therefore here: Seuthes, (grand)son of Tiritos.

Seuthes obviously wants to make the connection with his grandfather, who was more of an important figure that his father..

Edited by Yiannis - 24-Jul-2007 at 05:54
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 05:14
And that's how a mystery is being solved Smile

Good job guys... 1 piece of information here, 1 piece there and voila!

Edited by Flipper - 24-Jul-2007 at 06:32

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 07:43

Yes, it was my mistake, son of Teres of course.

Post Reply Post Reply