Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AmericasWheel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AmericasWheel
    Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 09:32
There is an strange collection of wheels in the Americas done by the mormon church in here:

Some interesting a real picture of that site follows:

Just don't believe everything. However, the second picture makes me think

Pinguin

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 19:38
I shudder to look, Pinquin. Most archaeological stone objects, once removed from the original site become useless and are virtually worthless for telling what they were used for in the past. The robbing of sites to carry off what could have been valuable has become a very serious problem
elenos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 21:36
Well, the second picture is a toothed wheel, isn't?

Yes, I know it is very unlikely that it belonged to an ancient clockwork, but just the image make dreak of advanced devices

Pinguin

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 22:12
Without being found on properly recorded site where the surrounding evidence shows the item was truly of American making, it becomes impossible to determine who made it, when and what for. Once removed from its culteral setting it becomes just another bit of mysterious junk that could have been anything stored in a Mormon church or wherever else.
elenos
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 23:03
Originally posted by elenos

I shudder to look, Pinquin. Most archaeological stone objects, once removed from the original site become useless and are virtually worthless for telling what they were used for in the past. The robbing of sites to carry off what could have been valuable has become a very serious problem

So what makes you think these weren't properly excavated.  Where did anyone say they were looted.

Eleos, I think you've misread pinguin.  The photographs were collected by the Mormon church, not the items themselves.

The second photo I have seen before.  There's almost no doubt in my mind that those items were used as sprockets or gears of some type.

Edited by red clay - 22-Jul-2007 at 23:13
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 23:08

As far as I found out, the "tooth wheels" of the figure 2, above, it was common in the Peruvian civilizations. They where, indeed, mace heads used in battle. They existed in several cultures, included Moche. However, it is still amazing how closely look to a piece of machinery. Just a strange coincidence and nothing more

Pinguin

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 23:24

Without being found on properly recorded site where the surrounding evidence shows the item was truly of American making, it becomes impossible to determine who made it, when and what for. Once removed from its culteral setting it becomes just another bit of mysterious junk that could have been anything stored in a Mormon church or wherever else.

They were afik, from proper excavations.  And why would you question if it was made in the Americas if it wasn't.   Odds are you wouldn't question something Egyptian if it hadn't been "properly recorded" Museums and private collections are loaded with looted objects.  Or is this a case of, It's too advanced, it couldn't have been made in the Americas"?Stern%20Smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 23:36
Originally posted by pinguin

As far as I found out, the "tooth wheels" of the figure 2, above, it was common in the Peruvian civilizations. They where, indeed, mace heads used in battle. They existed in several cultures, included Moche. However, it is still amazing how closely look to a piece of machinery. Just a strange coincidence and nothing more

Pinguin

Ping, I'm not sure.  If you read my post I said "almost".  I've seen the same information.  The object on the right could possibly be for that.  There isn't much care given to the form or placement of the "teeth".  The object on the left is just opposite.  The teeth are well made and well placed.  If you had dimensions you could probably calculate ratios.
Also, knowing how humans are, what would stop a warrior type from seeing something like this being made and see it differently from it's original use?
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 23:36
Other methalic "toothed wheels" identified as maces

From Vicus Culture Peru (200 BC-600AD)

Prehispanic Maces of Southern Peru and North of Chile

Maces Cuspique and Inca

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 23:46
Compare the object on the left of the second photo with these new photos. Look at the relative precision with which the teeth are made compared with the new objects.  It's what sets it apart from all the others.
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 23:52
Pinguin, to switch gears a little[ pun intended]  Do you remember discussing the potter's wheel in another thread?  There is a direct reference to Henry Mercer in the article you posted here.

Henry C. Mercer, while conducting the Corwith Expedition for the University of Pennsylvania in 1895, observed a true though simple potter's wheel in operation among the native potters of Merida, Mexico.  Although this could have been a tool resulting from the Spanish influences, its peculiar mechanism and mode of operation distinguish it from any similar clay-molding wheel thus far known, in ancient or modern times, from any part of the Old World.  The natives even call the device by a Mayan name, Kabal.  Mercer is convinced from his studies, which have been confirmed by others, that this device is indigenous to ancient Yucatan.4

Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 23:53
Yes. It is getting interesting. I saw a page plenty of calculation on physic about the dynamics of the Peruvian mace. It was a methalic weapon that rotated during the attack, and the momentum of inertia produced an effect similar to a sword.

Here another Vicus piece:

And this one is Moche

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 23:55

KABAL!!! Great Red Clay. We have a name and a refference now. Good way to start a research.

By the way, ending with the topic of maces, those peaces show Peruvians were quite good metalurgists as well. A point to consider.

Pinguin

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 02:10
I read what pinquin said "There is an strange collection of wheels in the Americas done by the mormon church in here" and took the phrasing  to mean the objects existed inside the church. Sorry if I'm wrong. Then I have opinions about this, so far as I'm concerned (and many governments) any unauthorized removal of objects from a site is looting.
elenos
Yaomitl View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Yaomitl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 07:22
Trying not to get too sidetracked here so very quickly:

Thanks for that information, Yaomitl, that may suggest that only the richest places could afford such labor intensive work, would that be correct?

Er... apparently not. I think it was just a case of some people using one method of architectural construction and others using a different one. Now I think on it, what's left of the Templo Mayer in Tenochtitlan ... er Mexico City (can't get used to these new fangled names) seems mostly small stone brickwork, exceptiing the larger objects such as sculptures and stone altars.

The Spanish left no record of how the game was played, they systematically wiped out all records of the native religion to replace it with their own.  Illustrations on Mayan pottery, the ball fields and reports by independent explorers provide insights. In one version, a smaller ball was hit with a stick, in another it was thrown through an overhead hoop. Sacred music accompanied these ritual events.

Now what could they be worshipping at such places, the gods? Worshipping gods is a Near East phenomena. To me it sounds like the worship of rubber tree and being praised as the source of their power. Why? Perhaps the use of rubber products played a part in the way they built their cities without wheels.

Can the trunks of rubber trees bend without breaking and how slippery are they to use? But why waste the trees, when the sap could be used on other substances to give them a coating? The sap could be also used to make rubber mats that when treated properly would be like slippery plastic, some water or perhaps oil and the heaviest stones would slide along. The rubber could be also used to make heavy duty slings and such.

Er... rules of play seem to have varied from one region to another (as you said) and it's astonishing how many ball courts there were - hundreds of them from Guatemala right up to SW USA (good book for this is The Mesoamerican Ballgame edited by Scarborough & Willcox - University of Arizona Press) and I think the general consensus of opinion is that the ball game was a ritual enactment of the sun travelling through the sky and/or the underworld (especially the Mayan variant). Not come across any specifically rubber Deities though, which isn't to say there weren't any of course. Rubber treated as a slippery medium is an interesting idea, one with possibilities I'd say but I don't know enough to comment really. I've not come across anything to suggest it was used in this way, but a I said, that doesn't mean it wasn't.

Right sorry. The wheel. Not much to add here except that those photos Pinguin posted were pretty damn exciting. Nice work!
"For as long as the world shall endure, the honour and the glory of Mexico-Tenochtitlan must never be forgotten."
- Chimalpahin Quautlehuanitzin
<a href="http://www.theotherconquest.com
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 09:05
I'm tossing around the rubber theory, could be a degree in it for someone if they want to take it up, hey it's free as a gift from me! They did play with the balls, but as stated the rules are unknown. Could it be they were exercising with the balls to become experts in handling them? Could the reward be that they became overseers of building sites where the rubber balls were used to move around heavy weights?

I have seen much the same principals used in modern technology. I wish people would drop this silliness of viewing them as el locos who sacrificed virgins on Saturday night and holidays and filled in the rest of their week  by forcing teams of slaves to build their elaborate buildings.

Of course the balls had other purposes. They could mean all sorts of things if you bring in religion. They probably still are laughing their ass off about the stupid way in which the invaders are so strung up on things that have nothing to do with loving the earth as our partner. What the balls were really used for and the way they were used wouldn't survive for rubber is biodegradable yet always replaceable if needed. It could be used for a whole range of purposes but became too expensive a long time ago.   

Edited by elenos - 23-Jul-2007 at 09:08
elenos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 10:02

I'm tossing around the rubber theory, could be a degree in it for someone if they want to take it up, hey it's free as a gift from me! They did play with the balls, but as stated the rules are unknown. Could it be they were exercising with the balls to become experts in handling them? Could the reward be that they became overseers of building sites where the rubber balls were used to move around heavy weights?

I have seen much the same principals used in modern technology. I wish people would drop this silliness of viewing them as el locos who sacrificed virgins on Saturday night and holidays and filled in the rest of their week  by forcing teams of slaves to build their elaborate buildings.

Of course the balls had other purposes. They could mean all sorts of things if you bring in religion. They probably still are laughing their ass off about the stupid way in which the invaders are so strung up on things that have nothing to do with loving the earth as our partner. What the balls were really used for and the way they were used wouldn't survive for rubber is biodegradable yet always replaceable if needed. It could be used for a whole range of purposes but became too expensive a long time ago.   

Well, as far as I know the game was not forgotten. It is still played in Mexico and Guatemala for some fans. You have to have thick skin, though, because the rubber ball leaves the marks of the impact on it. There is another thread in this same section that describes the ball courts.

Well, natives used rubber not only for balls but also to have waterproof cloths, and perhaps other applications I am not aware of.

And yes, the game has other purposes: gambling. Somewhere in a source I can't recall now I read that gambling was as important for the game as any sacred ceremony.

Pinguin

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 18:56
The Roman games started every morning with blessing to the gods and were asked that every death be pleasing to them. The, the Romans bet huge sums on the outcome of the contests in imaginative ways, how long they would last before they  die, how many wounds they would receive and so on. Sacred games of death are well known and the Old World and the New, that is if you can get hold of the details. I have got some books because I'm fascinated by ancient rituals, but most people don't want to know because it freaks them out. Once you get past the stage of having nightmares it's quite an interesting topic and much the same the world over, but you still can run across those that make your stomach churn.

Now that you have told me of the betting and how they still play the game (not like they have the Roman games anymore!) the similarities are more amazing. I did see one article of known instances of the original natives using rubber webbing to hold large items and a kind of rubber rope. You don't mean "Jai alai" as a ball game do you? (sure I spelt that wrong) What size balls are used in the present games?

Edited by elenos - 23-Jul-2007 at 18:58
elenos
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 19:27
Pinguin's pictures have hurt my brain.

They are even more frustrating and maddening than the toy alone.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 19:41
Originally posted by edgewaters

Pinguin's pictures have hurt my brain.

They are even more frustrating and maddening than the toy alone.

Why so? Well, I have seen in local museums wonders of the Peruvian metalurgic. Besides, we are a mining country so we have colections of those items as well. Natives produced bells of the size of the used in old schools, also bells for llamas, axes, weapons, coins, pins and lot of things in metal. In pottery they were even more skillful because, as I mention one time, they made portraits in pottery like westerners had paintings.

Even more, they had wind furnaces that worked continuosly and authomatically channelling the mountain winds to melt metals.

So, those objects don't surprise me at all.

Pinguin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>