Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

For everyone liking questions...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For everyone liking questions...
    Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 16:27
I am in a little search for Kings and Queens (from any time, place or origin).

Now, if I give you descriptions, anyone care to show his knowledge and earn gratitude?Tongue

1) a queen... wished to remain unmarried but after being threatened with losing power, married (VII)

2)
a king who greatly enjoyed watching stars and learning the lore... (V)

3)
a king who unlike those before him greatly funded the use of sea and enjoyed sailing (VI)

4) a king.. lived to high age. brought prosperity and wealth to the kingdom. (I)

5) a queen... had power but didn't like ruling... enjoyed music and other pleasures... his husband ruled instead.. (XVI)

6) a king who banned foreigners from entering.. (XXIII)

7) a king.. revered nothing...tortured and persecuted those who were secretly against him as none before had done.. (XXIII)

8) a king... driven into the borders of insanity... perished when he committed an assault along with the entire force of the kingdom against an enemy impossibly strong (XXV)

9) a king... returned to the old ways... opened the lands.. (XXIV)

10) a king... gave rule over to his successor very soon... practically right after coming to power... held the throne for a limited period of time.. (II)

11) a king... great leader... loved the sea... was fond of fleets and sailing.. (XVIII)

12) a king... he favoured breaking away from traditions in secret.. (XIV, XIII)

13) a king.. extremely greedy.. exercised heavy tributes from his conquered people.. (XII)

14) a king.. voyaged far and wide... greedy.. conquered many peoples.. (XIII)

15) a king... spent his rule waiting for ancient things to happen... and hoped for old allies and friends to reenter the scene.. (XXIV)

16) a king... received power cause no brother or sister of him wanted it... was third in line of succession and yet got the throne... (IX)

17) a king... married late.. gathered legends and lore.. wrote books.. [favoured seagoing..] (IV)

18) a queen... in secret opposed the ways of her husband, the king... her heart was with the opposition to the king's power... beautiful... (XXIII)

19) a queen... only successor... was forced to marry... and by that gave away her power... (XXV)

20) a king... loved silver above all other things... (XV)

This is all. Anyone who knows anything, please post. You will be of great help.

Many thanks,

EDIT: I don't have specific answers for these. I'd just like you to know who the descriptions resemble to you...

NB! King/Queen is in a loose term, meaning any ruler...

Edited by rider - 19-Jul-2007 at 16:42
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 07:36
Either of 3 and 11 could be Peter the Great, no?

Edited by gcle2003 - 14-Jul-2007 at 07:36
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 08:27
5) Maybe Kristina Waza from Sweden but I don't know if she was married. I've heard She was homosexual.

Very tough questions, maybe You would give some more clues...
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 11:42
Well. I was more directing them like...

I don't know who they are. I only have the descriptions (but I can elaborate on a few). I'd just need you guys to pull off a few connections and find if any of these would fit a King/Queen/Ruler that you have heard of...

Pretty much like the battles topic I did 1.25 months ago... I'll describe it and you'll name things that were like it.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 19:11
4) a king.. lived to high age. brought prosperity and wealth to the kingdom.

-Could be Augustus/Octavian? The longest period of peace that Rome had ever had?

10) a king... gave rule over to his successor very soon... practically right after coming to power... held the throne for a limited period of time.

A shot in the dark, but Murad II? Firstly he took the throne, abdicated- gave it to his son Mehmet I, who screwed up the coinage and started a Jannisary revolt. Then Murad came back to rescue the Ottoman empire, scolded his son (we can assume :D ) and was promptly killed at the battle of Kosivo Polje. Mehmet I comes back as Mehmet II (the conquerer) and invades Constantiople in 1453, ending the Roman empire and killing the last emperor Constantine IX diogenes.

Murad was quite old when he took over and knew that he could not keep it up for long, so it seems a plausable one.

2) a king who greatly enjoyed watching stars and learning the lore...

...Septimus Servus? That African liked Astronomy and Eastern Mysticism. Gibbon says that he loved reading horoscopes and destinies.

9) a king... returned to the old ways... opened the lands

Frederick the Great of Prussia? The elector who declared himself king in the early 18th century? He wanted to return to the old middle-ages courts of Prussia rather than be a vassal elector of the Holy Roman crown. He "opened" the lands, allowing Calvinists to migrate to his tollerant and prosoperous state, encouraging a great surge of religious refugees to enrich his nation.

1) a queen... wished to remain unmarried but after being threatened with losing power, married

I'm thinking...Mary Queen of Scots who married Philip II of Spain to aid her pro-Catholic cause?

6) a king who banned foreigners from entering

Enver Hoxa of Albania- the Soviet Puppet who completely shut out his nation from the outside world, or Franco, the fascist Spanish leader of the Falanj who closed the boarders to France, Portugul and Gibraltar?

12) a king... he favoured breaking away from traditions in secret

Again, it could be Augustus/Octavian, or any of the earlier emperors who had to pretend that they were nothing more than extra ordinary magistrates and citizens of the Roman "Republic" to hide from the people the new emerging Pseudo-Monarchy in Rome. Every 10th year they would declare that they would hand back executive power to the senate and commita (as Augustus promised), rather Ironic considering Augustus abolished the meetings of the Comita. They pretended that the senate still had their ancient authority, adhearing to old traditions.

7) king.. revered nothing...tortured and persecuted those who were secretly against him as none before had done..

...Could be Cambyses of Archenimid Persia, the Roman emperors Caracalla and Domitian, Ivan the Terrible - Czar of Russia are some possibilities...

8) a king... driven into the borders of insanity... perished when he committed an assault along with the entire force of the kingdom against an enemy impossibly strong

The elector of Bavaria, Maximilian, in the wars of the Spanish succession - he tried with France to defeat the holy Roman empire, Britain, Holland and the German states- that was a stupid move and apparently he was a tad nutty - that's a long shot, I know, but that's my first answer

...urmmmm....

Hitler's operation Barborossa against the USSR is an obvious one

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 19:19
Oh, amazing. Thanks, a great lot. As I said, there aren't definitive answers... but you've been of great help.

Although I would've thought that Hideyoshi or whoever closed Japan to foreigners would get a mention... Good that I remembered it now. The same with the Meiji Restauration. And with China.

Thanks Aster.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 19:23
I know next to nothing about the history of those peoples and - I'm not being ignorant, or rascist or anything like that - I don't really care much. It's just never interested me to the same degree as European and Ancient Near Eastern history (although all history interests me). I've got a book about the history of china called - "All under heaven" by an Afrikkaner called Wayne Kruger but have just never got around to reading it- it just doesn't interest me.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 20:50
It seems I edited the original and added #18 and #19.

Edited by rider - 14-Jul-2007 at 20:51
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 23:06
14 - genghis khan?
13 - attilla the hun? tamerlane?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 04:53
18) Alexandra, Queen of Judea - fits all the criteria listed, except rather than keeping her opposition of her husbands actions completely secret, I believe she told the public, as it gained her popularity among the masses
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 05:28
15) a king... spent his rule waiting for ancient things to happen... and hoped for old allies and friends to reenter the scene

...Could be one of the Macedonian kings in the Roman-Macedonian wars? They were waiting for their diodachi "brothers" to help them, but their help never arrived in the end. - basically, could be Perseus and Philip V
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 08:07
Hmmh. Earl Aster, I am fairly confident this sounds familiar:

I have heard of some Greek or whatever king like that but can't remember his name..
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 14:05
That could either be Croesus, king of the Lydians or Midas, king of the Gordians. Both were obsenely wealthy and were both, according to ancient sources, very greedy. They both ruled prosperous empires which were decendents of the Urartians and Neo-Hittite empires, giving a unique blend of cultures from their ancestors and the Greeks of Asia minor. Midas supposedly asked the gods to turn everything that he touched into gold - naturally, this meant EVERYTHING! His wife, his kids, his property, even his food! Croesus watched as Harpagus's army marched across Cappodocia. He went to the delphic oracle of Apollo and asked the Pythoness if he should cross the river Halays. The pythoness's translation said "If you cross the river Halays", you will destroy a great empire. He crossed the halays and guess what? The empire he destroyed was his own. He said to Aristotle that he was the happiest man in the world, to which Aristotle obviously did not agree.

11) a king... great leader... loved the sea... was fond of fleets and sailing..

That could be any of the Athenian archons from the time of the Pelopennesian wars and perhaps, but less likely, the Persian wars. In the Pelopennesian wars that were to be the destruction of Athens, almost the entire Athenian offensive was carried out by sea. They sent one fleet to destroy Spartan allies on the Aegean Islands, one for their protection, one under Phormio to blockade Corinth via Naupactus and one to ravage the Spartan costal lands by use of marines. These were in the whole highly successful (Sparta's agricultural abilities were highly damaged) and Phormio manged to push of many Corinthian fleets until a relief came. The abilites of these archons to deliver strike forces behind the Spartan lines was devastating, but they did not have a backup plan and when the Spartan army marched up to Attica, the power of the Athenian navy could not do much.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 18:22
Nothing in particular with silver? I am fairly confident there was someone... but still can't be sure. I know the legend of Midas... quite cool (not for him obviously).

Now, (and you too Earl Aster), I've still been left with a few loose ends... perhaps you could (and all others) try revisiting the following questions:

Originally posted by rider

2) a king who greatly enjoyed watching stars and learning the lore... (V)

5) a queen... had power but didn't like ruling... enjoyed music and other pleasures... his husband ruled instead.. (XVI)

7) a king.. revered nothing...(XIII)

8) a king... driven into the borders of insanity... perished when he committed an assault along with the entire force of the kingdom against an enemy impossibly strong (XXV)

10) a king... gave rule over to his successor very soon... practically right after coming to power... held the throne for a limited period of time.. (II)

16) a king... received power cause no brother or sister of him wanted it... was third in line of succession and yet got the throne... (IX)

17) a king... married late.. gathered legends and lore.. wrote books.. [
somewhat favoured seagoing] (IV)

19) a queen... only successor... was forced to marry... and by that gave away her power... (XXV)

About #8: You suggested the Duke of Bavaria and Hitler in their assaults. Well, the Duke could fit in but that's not a good match. Best would be the king/lord himself taking part of the battle/invasion along with his men.

Edited by rider - 16-Jul-2007 at 18:24
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 00:03

13) a king.. extremely greedy.. exercised heavy tributes from his conquered people..

That's a tough one I thought most kings were like that. The one that popped in my mind first was Darius III, simply because I was thinking of Alexander the Great defeating him. He had a well run kingdom for people paid up to to 90% in taxation. The Greeks only wanted 50% and for their money the people got a better standard of housing and public facilities. Alexander was sure to win even if he had lost a few more battles!
elenos
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 04:09
Well, the hint is extremely. And many kings have been normal... Yes, they want gold and stuff but not too much.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 04:26
18) a queen... in secret opposed the ways of her husband, the king... her heart was with the opposition to the king's power... beautiful... (XXIII)

I am guessing Queen Isabelle of England, the French wife of King Edward II. She was definitely opposed to his alleged homosexuality, and she did favour the party who overthrew her husband.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 09:26

Originally posted by Earl Aster

9) a king... returned to the old ways... opened the lands

Frederick the Great of Prussia? The elector who declared himself king in the early 18th century? He wanted to return to the old middle-ages courts of Prussia rather than be a vassal elector of the Holy Roman crown. He "opened" the lands, allowing Calvinists to migrate to his tollerant and prosoperous state, encouraging a great surge of religious refugees to enrich his nation.
Frederick I (Frederick the Great's grandfather) was the first King in Prussia in 1701. He was called King IN Prussia because his status was that of prince-elector elsewhere in the HRE. The same was true of Frederick the Great until 1772 when he started calling himself 'King OF Prussia', but I don't think he gave up his electoral status when he did.

1) a queen... wished to remain unmarried but after being threatened with losing power, married

I'm thinking...Mary Queen of Scots who married Philip II of Spain to aid her pro-Catholic cause? 

That would be Mary Tudor ('Bloody Mary') not Mary Stuart ('Queen of Scots') who married Philip. I don't know that either of them wanted to remain unmarried.

The reference might be to Elizabeth of Russia, who did remain unmarried for some while before marrying Alexei Razumovsky, one of the prime actors in the coup that brought her to full power.

Interestingly enough, both Anne before her and Catherine after never remarried after the death of their original husbands, reigning alone for ten and thirty-four years respectively. With Elizabeth's twenty that makes 64 years that Russia was ruled by a woman in the 18th century. I can't think of any country that was ruled by women for longer than that in a given century (Victoria comes close).

Edited by gcle2003 - 17-Jul-2007 at 09:34
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 15:16
Hmmh Gcle... Which of the Prussians opened the lands then? The Great or the first?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2007 at 07:35

Hmmh Gcle... Which of the Prussians opened the lands then? The Great or the first?

Probably meant to apply to Frederick the Great (if either is correct) but I'm not entirely sure what the phrase means.

Frederick (the Great) was a protectionist who set up high tariffs to protect nascent Prussian industry, which is hardly 'opening the lands', but he did welcome foreigners in, especially artists and philosophers, and he was keen on religious tolerance. He even accepted the Jesuits after they had been disbanded by the Pope. And he established free trade inside the Prussian borders.

But in all this he was pretty much in line with the policies of his father and grandfather. Prussia wasn't particularly 'closed' before his reign.

Japan's Mutsuhito (Meiji) is a better candidate on the 'opened his lands' criterion. You could also argue that he 'returned to the old ways' in establishing the Empire and getting rid of the Shogunate.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>