Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wikipedia as an active historical research forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wikipedia as an active historical research forum
    Posted: 09-Jul-2007 at 12:07
I recently had a couple of good experiences in wikipedia in history articles.

I found that contributing to an article forces us to take into consideration other points of view and bring to our attention sources that we were not familiar with. And you get to exchange ideas with many bright people sometimes.

So, what do you think about wikipedia as a forum to active historical research?
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2007 at 22:19
I use it only as a quick reference check for basic historical information for when I am too lazy to access a proper historical journal.

A certain individual I spoke to learned I have an admiration for Constantine XI. Few people would have pursued this topic, but he decided to go off and do some research via wikipedia about the man. Then one day he confronts me asking why I would admire the man who refused the Sultan's offer of vassalage in Mistra and instead chose to fight a battle with horrendous odds in Constantinople. Clearly the wiki page did not add context to the article by describing the defences of Constantinople and that the Byzantine/Italian forces actually had some chance of success. I had to fill him in on this fact. He then further questioned my admiration for the man, citing that Constantine XI had wrecked the loyalty of the Greeks to him by going for reunification with the Roman church. I replied, "no, that's just wrong. His brother John VIII did that when he was the Emperor, Constantine merely continued a policy made by his brother". His response to this was "but, wiki says.....". I then gave him a list of half a dozen good scholarly books he could turn to which would back up everything I said.

It is because of incidents like that that I see wiki as a quick source of basic info (e.g. starting and ending dates of a monarch's reign). But I won't look to them for too much more. Oh and another thing, some of the figures they give in the wiki battles section are simply ridiculous and obviously influenced by biased wikipedians.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2007 at 22:48
DEpends on the nature. The more controversial the topic or personage, the less likley it will be reliable.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2007 at 22:55
Hi, Constantine,

Yes, one must be careful with the information of wiki. I believe that the founder of wikipedia says that it is meant to be a good starting point, but the ultimate word on it.

But the experience that I am talking about is actually working out historical disputes with other people writing on the articles. So instead of just passively accepting the information on wikipedia, one is shaping it.

And I recently had two great experiences on this. One was   on an article on Cesar Chavez, American union organizer civil right activist, and and another one on Plutarco Elias Calles, the Mexican president who founded the single-party state in Mexico in the early 1930s.

In both cases I had to negotiate with another editor the language of some controversial points in the articles. The back and forth editing brought some good historical discussions, not only about history but also about its methods. And I learned more about the subject, and found myself reexamining some unacknowledged biases that I had about the two men :)

In other words, it felt like an excellent experience in actually writing history. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 09:33

...I know i maybe seen as sticking to a controversial opinion, but i never ever use Wiki as a source, not even for a 'brief' guide, although i could not condemn anyone if they did so themselves....it just seems to me that Wiki info is bounded around as if it is definitative, and given the simple and easy nature of accessing Wiki, it has almost become the 'standard'..yes, i know many users are aware of its limitations (as Constantine as pointed out) and many can use the site with a well-informed selectivity...but in my experience, many more do not...and therein lies the biggest fault i think.... 

..its simple, i just do not trust any of the info, i may concede that some of the information is accurate, well researched etc but its not for me, i simply prefer to access 'solid, authoratative books' and do my study and research from that standpoint....it may well a be a bit of a traditional, even old -fashioned approach for me, but i find it works best without the danger of including 'information' found willy-nilly on a website.... 
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 09:47
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6422877.stm

Ifound this quite interesting!

I use wikipedia all the time, just as people use encyclopedias and have been doing since the 18th century. No information is "accurate", so why does using a website instead of a book mean anything. If you are using an "authoratative book", I'm rather amazed heh.

Know the limitations of wiki, know the dangers and then always check information.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 10:31
Originally posted by Ovidius

If you are using an "authoratative book", I'm rather amazed heh.

..i guess what i mean here, is that for me personally, my research and history work tends to be based on more detailed, if not extremely detailed sources, and instead of looking at one or two pages, perhaps paragraphs on Wiki, i would simply prefer to concentrate on, shall i say more authoratative material (books), written by more authoratative writers containing more authoratative research...i take on board that even this material has to be corroborated and checked and re-checked, but i find this starting point much more reliable than Wiki...

..i can understand Hugo's premise that Wiki can be used to explore different ideas and by updating regularly, it can be a collaborative exercise......each to there own.....the proof is in the pudding for me, i have had no problems with my work or with others that do not use Wiki, but i have found that Wiki has been brought up in many instances where there have been discrepancies, falsehoods, etc etc...maybe Wiki in its evolution will one day become something more reliable, but for now, i remain rooted to my position...

PS-thanks for the link, yes, it was interesting to read, however, the two sides of the discussion are raised in the article, and nothing i read has altered my thoughts...it appears to be a worthwhile exercise for the students concerned, and all the more good for that, but, yet again, not for me!!!....stick in the mud is the phrase that comes to mind!!!

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 16-Jul-2007 at 10:36
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 11:56
Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

...I know i maybe seen as sticking to a controversial opinion, but i never ever use Wiki as a source, not even for a 'brief' guide, although icould not condemn anyone if they did so themselves....it just seems to me that Wiki info is bounded around as if it is definitative, and given the simple and easynature of accessing Wiki, it has almost become the 'standard'..yes, i know many users are aware of itslimitations (as Constantine as pointed out) and many can use the site with a well-informed selectivity...but in my experience, many more do not...and therein lies the biggest fault i think....

..its simple, i just do not trust any of the info, i may concede that some of the information is accurate, well researched etc but its not for me, i simply prefer to access 'solid, authoratative books' and do my study and research from that standpoint....it may well a be a bit of a traditional, even old -fashioned approach for me, but i find it works best without the danger ofincluding 'information' found willy-nilly on a website....

I agree with Acts in this case. Information on wiki is bandied about by most like it is the final word on a given subject - I am guilty of this too, at times. Information from wikipedia should be used merely as a starting point not a true source. In my experience I have had issues with wiki entrees. I, too, like to get information from books and other "authoritative, solid" sources, but alas I'm an old-fashioned type of guy.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 14:31
I respect what most people have said, and I must admit that I wouldn't recommend using wikipedia as the utmost authoritative source.

That said, I believe that wikipedia has a different dynamic than a traditional encyclopedia.

The main difference is that if there is an inaccuracy in a printed encyclopedia, one can't do anything about. One can point it out, but it will take until the next edition to get it corrected. Or it will take until an editor processes it, researches it, and then print the correction.

If there is something wrong in wikipedia, you should go ahead and correct it in the spot. And until someone else comes along and changes your text, the change has happened immediately.

And the power of the instant edit encourages me to do something that I normally don't do with printed paper material: check the references. On printed materials, I pretty much take them at their word. But because I am starting from a position of positive skepticism in wikipedia, I actually do check the quoted references.

And guess what? I have found people using bad references, misquoting them, or using them in inappropriate ways. And I am sure that the same happens in regular scholarship, but one has the time to look through them, except if the person is a personal enemy of one, and we want to ruin their career.

I would encourage those who doubt wikipedia as a source to approach as a different kind of encyclopedia. Think of it more as an experience than as a reference tool. I believe that many at AE would enjoy it as much as I am enjoying myself.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 14:45

Originally posted by hugoestr

the power of the instant edit encourages me to do something that I normally don't do with printed paper material: check the references. On printed materials, I pretty much take them at their word

...checking the references is something i do as a matter of course with any printed material i am accessing, indeed, this is an active part of my research method, but i can see why using Wiki in such a manner would encourage 'checking', and for that, it must be good practice...

I would encourage those who doubt wikipedia as a source to approach as a different kind of encyclopedia. Think of it more as an experience than as a reference tool. I believe that many at AE would enjoy it as much as I am enjoying myself.

...well, i cannot argue with that statement at all,Thumbs%20Up if it is an enjoyable experience then in some ways, it is to be encouraged....(but i would still not use it!!!!!).....LOL!!!

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 16-Jul-2007 at 14:49
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 00:47
I use wiki all the time to refresh my memory. I feel like yelling at the screen when something pops up I cannot agree with and that is often enough. It does help round out some the sticking points. If I'm researching I will not believe anyone until I have many instances of back up by other authorities.

The worst thing on the Internet is how many times you see the same words repeated by "authorities"they can clone thousands of times. The original author sounded good rather than being right. Books can be just as bad unless there is eyewitness accounts. I had an old great-uncle in WWII who fought at the Battle of the Bardia Pass. The older history books say the Australians Jumped over the pass holding their rifles above their head singing the "Wizard of Oz". Sure they were singing the Wizard of Oz for they had just seen it the night before in camp, but the Bardia Pass is over five miles wide!  
elenos
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 01:12
#1 rule when using wiki is to always check the talk page. If there are no comments at all, then the article may have been written by just one person. If there are hundreds of comments and dozens of revisions, be really careful using it.

When it's got a good standards rating and the talk page shows some activity but is not full of revisions and there's alot of agreement on basic points, then you can treat it like any encyclopedia. Just remember that even Britannica gets it wrong and is influenced by agendas sometimes.

In fact, one even has to take authoritative sources with a grain of salt. Scholars are not above flawed interpretations, misrepresentation of data, promotion of agendas and so on.
Patch View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 01:58

I think there was a comparison done about a year ago between wiki and Britannica.  In the comparison wiki did fairly well against Britannica.  Considering that you have to pay for Britannica whereas wiki is free that isn't too bad.

However wiki is vulnerable to vandalism - a noticed a  David Irving fan attacked the article on Dresden at Christmas.

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 04:07
It's amazing what some get upset about as well. I have noticed those who get most upset about history have no real idea of what they are talking about. History has happened, get over it and get on with learning how to avoid making the same mistakes in the future if they are so upset.

(I may have been distracted or made a wrong post here)

Edited by elenos - 28-Jul-2007 at 14:24
elenos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 11:22
Originally posted by Patch

That's a survey that gets mentioned on a wrong way far too often. Many news and other sources refer to that survey saying that Wikipedia is as exact as Brittannica make two errors:

1.) Brittannica is still 32% better, that's a fairly large difference

2.) Only articles on natural science were surveyed. In natural sciences 1+1=2, while articles on social science are more open to interpretation and influenced by personal biases, which probably hits Wikipedia more than Brittannica.

Apart from that, Brittannica has since published a rebuttal in which they claim that a lot of the articles surveyed were not really taken from their encyclopedia but from year books or other publications.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 14:27
Wiki is still 100% more convenient and you don't have to pay for it!
elenos
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 09:14
And you have the power of the instant edit if something seems wrong. You can't do that with Britannica. :)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 13:28

And you have the power of the instant edit if something seems wrong. You can't do that with Britannica. :)

That kind of reasoning presupposes that people who consult Wikipedia are knowledgeable on every single subject. But the problem is that you usually read an encyclopedia to find out things you don't know yet, meaning you won't know that the things you read are wrong.

Edited by Mixcoatl - 29-Jul-2007 at 14:02
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 22:01
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

That kind of reasoning presupposes that people who consult Wikipedia are knowledgeable on every single subject. But the problem is that you usually read an encyclopedia to find out things you don't know yet, meaning you won't know that the things you read are wrong.

Sometimes. Many other times, people who are knowledgeable do show up to check the accuracy of the articles. And sometimes you are just browsing, and you just happen to know that a detail is wrong.

Caoimhe View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Caoimhe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 19:45
The only good thing about wikipedia is usually the links at the bottom of articles from which I have found many a good historical source.

The whole thing is too open to abuse and I don't just mean from vandals. I find, usually hidden away in the talk pages mind, people pushing their various agendas. Of course the discussion that takes place does limit that to some extent, it's still not enough imo. Especially for the Historical Articles where there are usually only 'amateurs' contributing and as such the articles are more susceptible to this agenda pushing.

I do tend to only look up Irish History on wikipedia so I could be a tad unfair. Irish History and Historiography has been rife with agendas over the last thirty to forty years and these agendas tend to spill over into wikipedia. Maybe its not as bad with other countries History?

It's because of this that I usually take anything on wikipedia with a grain of salt, only using it for basic stuff like dates or as a memory refresher on certain topics.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>