Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

San Marino a war with Sweden?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mumbloid View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mumbloid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: San Marino a war with Sweden?
    Posted: 08-Jul-2007 at 08:11

three months ago, a friend of mine, a school mate, told me that the tiny repubblick of San Marino was a at war with Sweden uintil 1996 were the peace threaty was declared.

I was told that San Marino was part of a alliance against Sweden during Thirty Years' war when Gustav II Adolf, the king of Sweden was down
in Germany, slaughtering the population there. It was supposed to be a
"religious war ": us good protestant against the evil catholics. Then, I
seem to recall that peace was made with the other enemy countries but
that San Marino  was forgotten, being so small and all.

Is this story true or is that just a urban legend?

The future keeps the past alive.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2007 at 10:21
According to San Marino's own history site they've been neutral in all wars since the 15th century.

Swede's can sigh from relief.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2007 at 11:44
Originally posted by Paul

According to San Marino's own history site they've been neutral in all wars since the 15th century.

Swede's can sigh from relief.

LOL
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2007 at 11:44

Urban legend. Popular in Sweden, but totally false (often it states the war started during the Napoleonic era). No one seems to know its origin.

Edit: off topic, but Gustav Adolf's army wasn't "slaughtering the population", he had for its time an unusually stern discipline when it came to the civilian population. If you want slaughtering and plundering during that phase of the war, look no further than to Tilly. The later Swedish-led armies were not so benevolent towards the civilian population though.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 08-Jul-2007 at 11:49
Mumbloid View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Mumbloid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 06:17
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Urban legend. Popular in Sweden, but totally false (often it states the war started during the Napoleonic era). No one seems to know its origin.

Edit: off topic, but Gustav Adolf's army wasn't "slaughtering the population", he had for its time an unusually stern discipline when it came to the civilian population. If you want slaughtering and plundering during that phase of the war, look no further than to Tilly. The later Swedish-led armies were not so benevolent towards the civilian population though.

hehe, about Gustav army, it was a citation I found on the internet, not my words.

Ok I suspected it was a urban legend, but on the other hand how can we be sure if we dont ask?

Farvel Smile

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 07:25
Originally posted by Mumbloid

Ok I suspected it was a urban legend, but on the other hand how can we be sure if we dont ask?

Farvel Smile

True, I used to believe it also. :)
 It was promoted by some newspapers here, even. I found a trace of the origin of the myth now: according to some Italian historian, Marco Guidi, the San Marinese (or whatever teh adjective is) representative at the peace of Westphalia went home without signing anything since he didn't get his salary. This sounds suspicious though, I can't find any reference to where he claimed that, and San Marino was afaik not even involved in the war in the first place.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 10-Jul-2007 at 07:27
Mumbloid View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Mumbloid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 12:25
ok....

Yes that sound suspicius, especially when it is hard to find any sources.

I wonder how did that legend come into the world, why san marino? why not Andorra or lichtenstein? strange....

beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 10:05
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

To say the Swedish soldiers were slaughtering the population is not wrong but they didn't behave different to the others. They were all plundering, raping, murdering whether the population was friendly or were enemies. My village was burned down two times by protestantic Swedes allthough it was a protestantic village in an protestantic state. But I have to say that a lot of these Swedish soldiers were German mercenaries. You are right that the discipline went down during the years but Sweden begun the war in 1630 and my village was burned down in 1632 for the first time. So it didn't need a long time.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 22:31
Well, it's not very extravagant.Greece/ Hellas was ,typically, in war situation with Albania until 1999........

Edited by Spartakus - 11-Dec-2007 at 22:32
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 23:26
Switzerland invaded Leichtenstein this summer...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2025383,00.html

So much for neutrality!
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 01:55
whoops i thought this was a thread about Dan Marino!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 05:30
We have been in a war with India since Jan '48.
Tore The Dog View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tore The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2008 at 06:32
"Is this story true or is that just a urban legend?"

This is not true , but Andorra is true , from WW One to 1940 was A in war whit Germany , so they made a peace negotiation after France Capitulation.

Army strenght around 20 persons. 
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2008 at 22:20
Originally posted by Mumbloid

I was told that San Marino was part of a alliance against Sweden during Thirty Years' war when Gustav II Adolf, the king of Sweden was down
in Germany, slaughtering the population there. It was supposed to be a
"religious war ": us good protestant against the evil catholics.

To us they taught it was us good catholics against you bad protestant Wink
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2008 at 22:29
crazy...never heard about it.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 01:56
[quote]Well, it's not very extravagant.Greece/ Hellas was ,typically, in war situation with Albania until 1999........
[/quote0

I think it was 1979. The border would not have been opened in 1991 if we were still in a state of war.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 13-Feb-2008 at 01:57
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 16:24
Well, there were, typically, until Minister of Foreign Affairs Papoulias visited Albania, in 1999. Concerning your argument about the opening of the border, nobody could control the flow of Albanians towards Greece, at least from the Albanian side.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 19:09
Well the U.S. is technically still at war with North Korea, all there is is a ceasefire. When my dad was in the Marines, he told me that soldiers from North Korea and the U.S. used to take potshots at each other. The soldiers actually see the other soldiers constantly wathcing each other's moves. He also told me that when he was driving a truck along the border, he kept hearing dinging sound on the side of his truck thinking that they were rocks on the road he continued. When he got to base an officer stopped him and told him that there were bullet holes all down the side of the truck.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 20:40
I only knew the Andorra one previously. Cool if you think of it...
 Post Reply Post Reply