Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your Favourite US President and why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Favourite US President and why?
    Posted: 07-Jul-2007 at 16:33

I'm always curious about the way world leaders work and how different types of leaders appeal to different people.

The Presidency of America is probably the most powerful position in the world and so a very interesting one to discuss.

So is/was your favourite president and why?
Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2007 at 23:43
Without a doubt, John F Kennedy. He worked to take done trade barriers with Europe and he liked his woman.
elenos
DesertHistorian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote DesertHistorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 23:28
Teddy Roosevelt.
He established the National Parks system, began the Panama Canal project which revolutionized trade around the world.
He also won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1906.
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 00:10
RDF because he was just such a great leader during a time of crisis plus I believe he was the only president that has gotten 3 elections (strange consider that a president can only serve 2 terms in the USA...).
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 07:12
Originally posted by Kamikaze 738

RDF because he was just such a great leader during a time of crisis plus I believe he was the only president that has gotten 3 elections (strange consider that a president can only serve 2 terms in the USA...).

Actually it was 4 terms, he died shortly after the 4th election.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 12:44
Roosevelt. Manage to lead Americans from Depression to the near end of WWII.

Join us.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 19:55
Thomas Jefferson.

''That government is the best that rules the least.''
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 22:52
Franklin Roosevelt. The only non-facist who played a major role in World War Two, so far as i am concerned. A good man, plain and simple. A good president too, timing american intervention perfection perfectly, let alone countering the great depression.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 05:39
Abraham Lincoln- who fought the confederate states during the American Civil War to abolish slavery and succeeded.

Edited by ezycompany - 15-Jul-2007 at 05:39
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 22:39

Mine would probably be A. Lincoln. Because he is one of those rare breed of politican's of his era, (or any era in this republic's history, for that matter!), who always knew where he stood on the most contoversial issues of his day. But he also knew how too best govern a republic and keep his many subordinates and their blindingly selfish political ambition's in line, while this country was in the midst of trying too tear itself manically apart. 

GR3Y077 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote GR3Y077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 11:49
Of course, A. Lincoln! The US is where it is today, because of him.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 12:08
Thomas Jefferson. Few American presidents have been that smart, and doing things so well.

In second place I would put to Franklin D. Roosvelt, because of the "new deal".

I believe Ronald Reagan did it quite well in the managament of the Soviet Union falldown. The last president of the U.S. that I admired was Clinton; a good fellow and with a good heart that people loved spontaneously.

I don't admire Lincoln, because if he were more skillful perhaps could avoid a war that cost too many lives.

Finally, I can stand not even in painting the Indiana Jones of Theodore Roosvelt!! Paradygm of imperialism.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 25-Jul-2007 at 00:17
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 23:51
Originally posted by pinguin

I don't admire Lincoln, because if he were more skillful perhaps could avoid a war that cost too many lives.

Finally, I can stand not even in painting the Indiana Jones of Theodore Roosvelt!! Paradygm of imperialism.

Pinguin

I don't believe skill had anything to do with A. Lincoln's failure in avoiding the war, i think he had plenty of political skill. The ACW had been a long time in coming about since the birth of the US, in whether the right for sates too secede was lawful or not. Mr. Lincoln's greatest sin upon election, is that he made no bones about where he stood on the most contoversial issues of his day. A little factual note: (He was against the American-Mexican war, as he saw it not only as expansionist, but also in favor of strengthening the influence of slavery too those territories, and only benefitting those very slave owner's of the South and not the entire country as a whole! One could say it accelerated the war by decades, if not made it virtually impossible too avoid!)

As far as T.R. is concerned, i think he was a very good President, but as far as his image goes outside of the country, he did himself the most PR damage by promoting himself into this symbol of  American toughness & individual ruggedness, which led to too many misconstruing his talk as him having "Imperial ambitions"! Of course some of his actions didn't help too calm our southern neighbors fear's, especially in regards to Panama. That fell to FDR's administration to try and fix that, the best that it could!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2007 at 00:14

Yes, Teddy LOL is considered the stereotype of the "fascist yankee" in Latin America.

By the way, it is curious that Lincoln had some very racist ideas himself.
Anyways, I seriously admire Jefferson. F.D. Roosvelt and some other presidents of the U.S. With Kennedy I am in doubt if he was such a good president. After all he almost blew up the whole world LOL

Pinguing

Edited by pinguin - 25-Jul-2007 at 00:15
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2007 at 00:45
If kennedy had blown up the world it would't have taken him very long to repopulate it! That's what I like about the guy.
elenos
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2007 at 01:53
Pinguin,

I won't sit here and deny his faults didn't exist, of course they did. It's my view, no President, or anyother person(s)... are infallible and 100% free from the prejudice/bias of their particular era. We all are guilty of that on a daily basis. In that way during his era, A. Lincoln's view's were way ahead of the majority of American politicans of his time, including much bigger and nationally well known names than his, before he ever assumed the Presidency.

I'm sure i am going to get raked over the coals for this comment, though i am not intentionally trying enflame anyones feeling's! Just other contrary opinion's i have heard. Anyhow, some would say that by Kennedy/Khrushchev almost blowing up the world (Which ever makes one happy too blame)... makes Mr. Bush's current efforts pale into insignificant comparison! Nuke

konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 22:23
Eisenhower. He kept his cool during the Cold War and absolutely refused to get involved in Vietnam to back the French because he correctly saw the French cause for what it really was: colonialist nationalistic attempt on the part of the French military to outdo its shame during WW II with absolutely no national backing in Vietnam himself. Go Ike. JFK and LBJ jumped on Vietnam like flies on sh*t with the known consequences.
Ike was a great team player; his years as Supreme Allied and (later) first NATO commander taught him how to work WITH people, not against them. If only the politicians of today drew analogies from his Presidency we wouldn't be stuck in the Iraq quagmire and the nation would not be as divided along moralistic/religious issues as it is now.

Edited by konstantinius - 28-Jul-2007 at 06:46
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 22:48
Nothing wrong with choosing Lincoln, Panther. He had to end slavery even if it meant taking the country to war. 

I never thought of Ike, konstantinius. He has almost become the unknown president. When things go right then there is nothing to talk about! JKF did make a huge mistake in Vietnam, one wonders how he would have corrected it if given the chance. LBJ was stuck with a situation not of his own making and yet suffered most of the blame.
elenos
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 14:44
My favourite president - i.e. the one I like most as a person - is undoubtedly Jimmy Carter.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 15:21
Hmm...

Probably Jefferson or Teddy Roosevelt, though I'm leaning towards Jefferson at the moment.
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>