Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwho are sinhalese?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pathani View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: who are sinhalese?
    Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 01:54
who are sinhalese in sri lanka? how come they are fairer skinned then tamils there. i have this one sinhale friend, he almost looks like a pakistani.
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 05:47
The reason the sinhalese look the way they do is because about 500 BC ancient vedic pakis arrived on the island and colonized much of it. The language Sinhalese is also different that the previous native tamil language. This branch of ancient pakis was also present in the coastal areas of Bengal during that time and most of them ended up converting to buddhism too. The language Pali that the sinhalese speak is related more to indo-aryan languages than the dravidian languages in the south. The tamils speak a very different language.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 11:02

i must admit some of the sinhalese girls are very good lookingLOLLOLLOL

betaab View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 23:42

werent sinhales mixed with arab sailers?

pumaaa123 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 03:56
Whats this one?? which part of Sindband's exploration?

Edited by pumaaa123 - 01-Aug-2007 at 03:57
pikesman View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 07:57
interesting ..islands like maldives n andaman have muslim population of around 60-70%

these arab traders have had an important role in history..altering da geneaology of regions etc.
pumaaa123 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 08:08
Originally posted by pikesman

interesting ..islands like maldives n andaman have muslim population of around 60-70%

these arab traders have had an important role in history..altering da geneaology of regions etc.

Nope! Andaman have the native tribal poulation along with the recent settlers from mainland india. Together with hindi speakers, tamil and malayalem speakers make a good chunk in this island population. Most are Hindus.
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 09:18
Originally posted by maqsad

The reason the sinhalese look the way they do is because about 500 BC ancient vedic pakis arrived on the island and colonized much of it. The language Sinhalese is also different that the previous native tamil language. This branch of ancient pakis was also present in the coastal areas of Bengal during that time and most of them ended up converting to buddhism too. The language Pali that the sinhalese speak is related more to indo-aryan languages than the dravidian languages in the south. The tamils speak a very different language.

I don't know if this was supposed to be sarcastic but I'll bite anyway.  Firstly, the old legend is about a king Vijaya from Kalinga (around Orissa today) exiled from his kingdom and put on a boat which wandered to Sri Lanka around 600 BC.  It's hard to corroborate anything about this story.  At the very least, it's just another epic of an exiled king to add to the Hindu canon.  Linguistically people have tried linking the Sinhalese to groups from the Gujrat or Punjab but archeologically again, no large migration of people to the island can be proven.

Secondly, the Sinhalese speak Sinhalese, not Pali.  Pali is an old Indo-Aryan language that Buddhist scriptures were originally transcribed in.
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
betaab View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2007 at 22:01
i have been told several times by my sinhalese friends that their people have north indian connections. Many of them even have similar physical features as north indians or pakistans, they dont look south indians.
pumaaa123 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 00:52
Originally posted by betaab

i have been told several times by my sinhalese friends that their people have north indian connections. Many of them even have similar physical features as north indians or pakistans, they dont look south indians.

So whatever your friends tell youll blindly go with it. Ok let me come to you. Take the srilankan cricket team for a sample case for how they look like (been picked all over from the island sinhala population). Now tell, how their physical features look like? And how their rival Australian team members criticized them when a disagreement bust between them.

Actually Singhalese cant be matched to any other people of this region but with their island counterpart, Tamils. They are nothing but branch-out of island Tamils. Recent DNA tests had proved it. 

Moveover, this marginal sinhala population has made continuous absorption of other south Indian groups (Telugu, Tamil speakers of Kerala) from time to time for its spreading out. So finally what is it? Beliefs are only for self and it is not necessary to recognize by everyone.

betaab View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 12:09
i am not saying they dont have connections to the region ofcourse they do, but they also have connection to somewhere else.
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 23:46
Sheesh, these "OMGZ I saw a dark Punjabi and a pale Tamil!" threads are getting annoying. 

Aishwarya Rai is South Indian and fair skinned.  Amitabh Bachchan is North Indian and dark skinned.  It happens everywhere on the subcontinent.  No group of Indians/Pakistanis/whatever are homogenous and all look the same. 
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
pumaaa123 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 00:38

Ah Ahh! Neither Aishwarya is fair skinned nor AB is darkskinned!

The topic here is the origin of Singhalese whom really have a complex history and it truly desires a good discussion. But keep on revloving around it with irresponsible posts wil be irritating.

Edited by pumaaa123 - 07-Aug-2007 at 00:51
betaab View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 01:14
Originally posted by jayeshks

Sheesh, these "OMGZ I saw a dark Punjabi and a pale Tamil!" threads are getting annoying. 

Aishwarya Rai is South Indian and fair skinned.  Amitabh Bachchan is North Indian and dark skinned.  It happens everywhere on the subcontinent.  No group of Indians/Pakistanis/whatever are homogenous and all look the same. 

dude ab is not dark skin. and ash is actually dark skinned, have u seen her earlier photos when she was a teenager she looked south indian, she puts tons of make up on. And i totally disagree with u when u say everyone in south asia looks the same. are u living under a rock??
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 14:50
Originally posted by betaab

Originally posted by jayeshks

dude ab is not dark skin. and ash is actually dark skinned, have u seen her earlier photos when she was a teenager she looked south indian, she puts tons of make up on. And i totally disagree with u when u say everyone in south asia looks the same. are u living under a rock??

Sorry, that was supposed to say 'don't all look the same'.  Some people in my family are really pale and others are really dark.  Are the pale ones more 'Aryan' or whatever than the others? And are the darker ones secretly South Indian babies switched at birth?Wink
betaab View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 11:54
there is no such thing as aryan or dravidian. all i am saying is the more south you go india, people get dark, the more north you go the people get fairer. is that really hard to understand?
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 05:01
The purpose of this forum is discussions on history. Not skin color. This topic is as the pakhtuns say "nishta".
 Post Reply Post Reply