Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Xenophobia in France

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xenophobia in France
    Posted: 30-Jun-2007 at 04:59
France today has an external image of a xenofobic society. Despite that LePen's votes have dipped considerably in the last election, up to 4 million French people are still sympathisers of the far right FN.

My French friends say that in the outer suburbs of Paris, what was once known as the "Red Belt" for their communist votes, are not overwhelmingly FN.

What I'm curious to know is that whether France has always been a xenophobic society, or is it just a development in the recent decades due to the problems with the North and West African communities?
Immigration to France has a history of more than 1 century and almost half of French citizens have a parent, grandparent, or great-grandparent of immigrant origin - so it would be extremely ironic for xenophobic sentiments to dominate the society. 

Are immigrants or minorities of other origins: like Portuguese, Italian, East European, Armenian, Persian, Vietanmese, Chinese, Carribbean origin etc. treated with suspicion as much as the Moors and West Africans? Or are they generally considered as "French"? Or are they treated as somewhere in between?

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2007 at 19:44
My French friends say that in the outer suburbs of Paris, what was once known as the "Red Belt" for their communist votes, are not overwhelmingly FN.
Do you mean "now" or "not"? Paris and other major towns' suburbs are indeed  strongholds of the FN. The reason is that they are mostly populated by low-skilled workers (the others moved out in the late 1970s) who are in direct concurrence with the migrants for jobs and welfare.
That being said the term overwhelming is not appropriated. They have never managed to conquer one municipality in the area (only in the South where part of the population are ex-colons). The may peak here and there at 40% becoming the first or second political force in one small area; but on the 'county' level they rarelly manage to go beyond 20%.

What I'm curious to know is that whether France has always been a xenophobic society, or is it just a development in the recent decades due to the problems with the North and West African communities?
Immigration to France has a history of more than 1 century and almost half of French citizens have a parent, grandparent, or great-grandparent of immigrant origin - so it would be extremely ironic for xenophobic sentiments to dominate the society. 
Well Italian migration in France started in the 16th century, so I guess you can say the country knows how to deal with new comers, but that it is true that nowadays there are new problems and new threats.

Are immigrants or minorities of other origins: like Portuguese, Italian, East European, Armenian, Persian, Vietanmese, Chinese, Carribbean origin etc. treated with suspicion as much as the Moors and West Africans? Or are they generally considered as "French"? Or are they treated as somewhere in between?
Each community seems to have its own path. The Chinese and the Indians just don't mix and stay enclosed in their own ghettos. Vietnamese, although fairly numerous, have almost totally blended into the French population, so have the Eastern Europeans (including the Jews) and the Italians. The Iberian immigration arrived in such huge numbers less than 40 years ago that they still form their own towns and so, but the integration is nearly completed.

Most of the Carribeans come from the French Antilles, as such they are 100% French for generations, and tend not to be considered as black. They are hated but strictly because they staff poorly effective administration.

The Moors (lol, the Maghribis) are a very complex issue. The fact is that many of them succeeded. From Zinedine Zidane (well he is Zizou) to Rachida Dati (attorney general) and from Tariq Krim (creator of netvibes) to Djamel Debouze (actor, person the French people prefer according to several polls) many "beurs" (French of Arabic origins) are on the top of many sectors.
Racism towards them still exists (very much so) and the problems of Islamism (ie political Islam not necessarily radical) makes it even more problematic but I must say I am fairly confident that this generation will make it big time. They are the French equivalent of Afro-Americans (over represented in jail and amongst the poor but situation getting better). Hopefully in 50 years or less they'll be completely assimilated. Sheer numbers more than anything else makes it long and painful.

The Subsaharian Africans represent a much newer problem as migrants are still coming in often illegally, often very low skilled, not speaking French, very young, etc. In their case future is not bright. Moreover drug problems are kicking in. And they are even easier to distinguish then beurs (who often look Southern French).

To sum up, France is not as welcoming as it should be. Massive issues exist, but none that can't be fixed by a faster economic growth. And the image of a violently xenophobic country is far from true. Some of my Jewish American friend thought one couldn't wear a kippa in the streets and were shocked to discover France had the most important Jewish community in Europe.
I am a free donkey!
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 10:48
Thanks for in the detailed info.

I've known many French people and when i asked them about this issue the typical answer I get is: "I don't know, at least none of the people I mix with are openly xenophobic."
Again, these are French people who travel and live abroad, and they don't represent the entire sector of the population.

I studied with a Frenchman of Carribean origin, and he claimed to never have encountered any type of discrimination because he grew up in a village without any social problems and that he was "French and middle-class".

So would you say that the precise problem of France isn't with "xenophobia" towards foreigners in general, but more precisely "Islamophobia" towards muslims?

Most famous French "Beaurs" have gained success either through sport or through acting.

Why have the "beurs" taken longer to assimilate than the Southern and Eastern Europeans, is it because of their religion? Or because they were once French colonies?
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 19:59
So would you say that the precise problem of France isn't with "xenophobia" towards foreigners in general, but more precisely "Islamophobia" towards muslims?
Well, it is a bit bit difficult to answer and surely it varies according to the social context and the sheer number of Muslims in the area. In bourgeois place the few Muslim people are perfectly integrated and no later than today I realized one of the girls I was in love with in high school was of Arabic origins, a detail I had never remarked.
On the other hand if one lives in a poor area where Muslims are numerous and very pious it is likely that they will react differently.

Most famous French "Beaurs" have gained success either through sport or through acting.
It is true and somewhat it is logical considering this are the traditional paths for poor communities to make it (Sinatra). The fact is also that many people just don't know the names of important civil servants (many military commanders are beurs but no one knows them), local politicians or successful business men.

Why have the "beurs" taken longer to assimilate than the Southern and Eastern Europeans, is it because of their religion? Or because they were once French colonies?
A bit of both. I was watching a documentary yesterday about the European settlers in Northern Africa before 1962 and very obviously they were treating the Arabs as less then human. This type of prejudice does not help. I a village I often go in holidays in Corsica, till a few years ago, some beaches were no go zones for Arabs even though they have been living there for decades.
The religion is not a very important factor as it mostly affect those who are losers already. With no connection, no education, no capital what can you do? Starve, become a criminal or a zealot to give meaning to your life. I don't mean Muslims = losers, I mean religion becomes an issue ex-post not ex-ante.
The number of Arabs and beurs in France has increased by a factor 10 every 30 years during the 20th century. Sheer numbers make it difficult to integrate a population constantly increasing. The fact is also they were somewhat unlucky as they came late (some as late as the 80s-90s) as the economy was not booming any more as when the Portuguese arrived.
They were also unlucky because they worked in the industry and after 1974 suffered high unemployment and were doomed because they were living next to the factories (ie out of town) in workers' dormitories. The Portuguese somehow quickly managed to make it downtown and thus benefited from good public services. Now due to the lodging prices it is impossible for paupers to move downtown and they remain segregated in ghettos by the market.
Finally, the French system works slower but I believe better than say the English one. In England the principle can be summed up by Brick lane where all the Indian restaurants are, while France can be represented by the fact that any proper French restaurant has couscous on Thursday and Saterday.
I am a free donkey!
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 10:46

Thanks for the info.

I am originally from the UK but I live in Spain. I wouldn't say that the British or French system of integrating immigrants is better or worse, simply different.
The British (and Spanish as well) model is "multi-cultural integration", while the French model is "universal assimilation".
the British model believes that one can be 100% British but not culturally "English", and immigrants and their children become "English" only when they want to, but they are not given any specific encouragement.
The French System, if I understand it, states that all "French" citizens are supposedly of the same identity, and one can only (in theory) become French if he is culturally French.
For example, in the UK we can make census of British citizens based on religion and ethnicity, while in France it is not allowed.

I also heard that in France the word "immigrant" is very classist, and usually applies to the badly adapted immigrants or children of immigrants.
In 2005, all those who rioted by burning cars were labelles as "immigrants" when most of them have been born in France. On the other hand, successful people of foreign origin like Jean Reno, Nicholas Sarkozy, Zidane, Fratini, and much of the national football team are considered as "French".

Personally, I reckon that the French system works better for immigrants who are culturally more similar: like with other Europeans, Carribeans, or Latin Americans; but would fail with immigrants from a radically different cultural background (like Muslim for example).

The British system, in my preception, works better the other way round.

As a fact, I'm not particularly in favor of the government taking statistics of its citizens' ethnic origins. These measures should only be taken for sociological studies and nothing more. Furthermore, I reckon that the ethnic categories given do not reflect the true diversity, nor does it take into consideration mix-raced people, who are growing rapidly in numbers after every generation.

But at least in the UK we don't have 4 million votes for xenophobic political parties!!!

In Spain, immigration is a relatively new phenomenon, but in 10 years the foreign population has grown by 5 million, mostly from Morocco, Ecuador, and Rumania, along with other countries in African and Latin America.
Many older Spaniards find it difficult to adapt to living in a multi-cultural society, but overall Spanish society has been rather receptive.
In 2006, 10% of marriages were between Spaniards and foreigners, most of them with Latin Americans. Considering the short time scale of immigration, this statistic is impressive. However, xenophobia does exist here and many right-winged Spaniards have the concept that a cosmopolitan society is synonymous with crime, decay, and a loss of Spanish identity.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 13:50
The British (and Spanish as well) model is "multi-cultural integration", while the French model is "universal assimilation".
lol I didn't know the Spaniards had an integration system I mean how many migrants are there and above all for how long. But your point is interesting as both Spain and the UK have a quasi federal system with strong regional identities.

The French System, if I understand it, states that all "French" citizens are supposedly of the same identity, and one can only (in theory) become French if he is culturally French.
I don't know where you got that. The fact is that our new glorious beloved leader is think about imposing a certain knowledge of the language for the  people who want to migrate in France, but this does not exist yet and hopefully never will.

For example, in the UK we can make census of British citizens based on religion and ethnicity, while in France it is not allowed.
I've never been a big fan of these kind of census myself, but the fact is that the ban imposed on them in France is fairly hypocritical. I was checking on some stat today and France is #1 in the West for the rate of marriage native/migrants while the UK is not doing so good. I pray everyday for a mixed society with as many mixed couples as possible. A US system where blacks marry blacks is in my opinion painfully wrong.

I also heard that in France the word "immigrant" is very classist, and usually applies to the badly adapted immigrants or children of immigrants.
That's a sad fact that a CEO from Algeria or a Briton moving in France are not considered as migrants while a person living in the suburb is even if all his grand parents were French. But one of the reason is that he still fit the stereotypical traits of the migrants (living in rather closed groups, poor handling of the French language and overall: poor).

In 2005, all those who rioted by burning cars were labelles as "immigrants" when most of them have been born in France. On the other hand, successful people of foreign origin like Jean Reno, Nicholas Sarkozy, Zidane, Fratini, and much of the national football team are considered as "French".
Yes it is a sad fact, but once more it is easy to understand why when some don't fit in the stereotype of 'Frenchness'  he is considered as un-French and thus immigr despite the fact he never set a foot out of the country, speaks only French and has a French passport.

Personally, I reckon that the French system works better for immigrants who are culturally more similar: like with other Europeans, Carribeans, or Latin Americans; but would fail with immigrants from a radically different cultural background (like Muslim for example).
Well, I'm convinced that this system has its limits. I'm for instance concerned with the Chinese and Indian communities who actively refuses integration. On the other hand I hope that in 20 years or less the beur issue will not be a problem no more. It requires sensible educational and urban policies but it can be done (arguably the new government ain't going on the good direction). The newly arrived black communities may be more difficult to integrate and would need a thriving economy.

The British system, in my preception, works better the other way round.
I don't know it didn't seem to me that the Poles looked particularly unhappy there, while I've seen truely poor Bengladeshi or African ghettos

As a fact, I'm not particularly in favor of the government taking statistics of its citizens' ethnic origins. These measures should only be taken for sociological studies and nothing more. Furthermore, I reckon that the ethnic categories given do not reflect the true diversity, nor does it take into consideration mix-raced people, who are growing rapidly in numbers after every generation.
Not mentioning the fact that the black guy working with whites, living with withes and so on will always be well, the 2% who made it. Not very pleasant. And what about the sons of African ministers? They are black but hey they are not any kind of migrant. I agree with you the government should not use it.

But at least in the UK we don't have 4 million votes for xenophobic political parties!!!
Touch. But hey you got Thatcher for 10 years and the highest inequality rates in Europe, so, errr, well you see what I mean.
Seriously it has always been a problem for me why the Brits never vote for openly xenophobic parties?
I am a free donkey!
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 17:03
The Brits never voted for an openly xenophobic party because most Brits are not strongly xenophobic.
While some people may harbour racist feelings, they are usually not strong enough to affect their votes. The very small minority of violent neo-nazis are frowned upon and universally hated.

The Indian community, for example, are rather appreciated in the UK for their hard-working spirit. While many immigrants themselves close themselves within their own community, the British-born generation are thoroughly integrated in every sector of society, and at school they tend to be high scorers. Many of the younger generation of popular writers are of Indian descent.
Very very few Britons would vote for a party or any politian who's openly against the Indian community (still the largest minority), like 30% of French would vote for an anti-Muslim candidate.

THe Bengalis for example are worse integrated than the Indians. The Afro-Carribbean population have mostly adopted the customs of working-class whites.
Overall, Britain is a CLASSIST society, not a xenophobic one.

Again, I heard that in France the public opinion towards LePen and FN are rather polarised. Apparently, most of the people who don't vote for him find him and the whole FN party "repulsive".

As in Spain, immigrants already make up more than 10% of the population, and in Madrid and Barcelona they make up almost 20%.
Spain has so far adopted a "multi-cultural" approach, mostly because it is already a country with several strong regional identities.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 21:28
You're quite right about England.

I was talking to a Spanish friend tonight and she was telling me that Spain was very peculiar as most of the migrants are South Americans, arguably one of the closest thing from a Spanish one could find. I saw how it worked in Portugal, Brazilian basically form the bulk of the lower income working-class, Ukrainians are fairly well integrated and Africans are very poorly considered. Would you say this scheme applies to Spain?
I am a free donkey!
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 03:10
In Spain, most immigrants are from Latin America, Africa, and Eastern Europe, with Ecuadorean (largest on the national level), Rumanian (largest in Madrid), and Morrocco (largest in Andalusia and the south) being the most dominant elements.
Almost all of them have come to fill the jobs that no Spaniard would do, like construction workers, waiters, babysitters, cleaners etc..

The Rumanians are in general hard-working and few people have complaints about them, despite they tend to stick in their communities and  associate very little with the Spanish population. However, Rumanian gypsies are often seen begging on the streets with babies in their arms, and occasionally they come into open confrontation with Spanish gypsies.

The Latin Americans, especially Ecuadoreans and Dominicans, are often complained about of being rowdy, disrepectful, and are accused of importing "gang culture". On the other hand, they are the ones who intermix the most with the Spanish for their lack of language barrier. A few individuals who have come with skill and education have integrated fully into society with middle-class jobs, while others are badly adapted.
The Spaniard's attitude towards them is very mixed. It's common to hear a Spaniard complain about "sudacas de mierda", but on the other hand he has South American friends.

THe Spanish have had a historical struggle with the "Moors", and the Morroccans are supposed to be the most hated foreign nationality. However, the feeling is more "love-hate", and North Africans have in general adapted far better in Spain than in France. Spanish-Moroccan intermarriages are extremely common, almost always with a Morroccan man and Spanish woman. After all, the North African heritage forms an integral part of Spanish culture.

Other smaller minorities include Chinese, who have taken over the corner shops; black Africans, who tend to sell illegal products on the streets (top manta as we call it); Indians, Pakistanis, Poles, Ukrainians, Albanians, Filipinos, and Portuguese.
Most of these nationalities keep a low profile and don't cause any antagonism among the locals. Even the most xenophobic Spaniard can find nothing to complain about the Chinese, Poles, or Philipinos.

All immigration happened very fast and foreign faces and accents are still considered as "exotic" by many Spaniards. Many younger Spaniards are keen to make friends with foreigners while the conservative elements of society are reactionary towards this "invasion".
Many older Spaniards are educated with the concept of "Spain for Spaniards" and "Spanish first", and see any incomming foreigners as stealing their jobs, social security, and of worst of all: their women.

think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 05:41
Integration works well when the numbers are small enough to be integrated, thats why your African buddy was regarded as french because he was most likely one of very few Blacks in the community.
I think as communities of immigrants continue to grow, the locals move away then the whole process of integration has been in vain because what exactly have they integrated into ?

I wouldnt say the French are more xenophobic than anyone else, just when youve got communities becoming ghettos or cities becoming more an more violent then people are going to notice.

Edited by think - 03-Jul-2007 at 05:47
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 12:01
It is true that integration is easier when the numbers are fewer, but it also depends on the nature of the immigrants.
Why have ghettos formed in some cities and not in others while both have received significant immigration? Why have some ghettos disovled after the first generation, and others thrived beyond the children and grandchildren of immigrants?

Overall, better educated immigrants from a cultural background similar to the host country are less likely to pose any problems, even when their numbers are large.
The "Culture shock" is certainly a major element when it comes to integration.

In California, for example, Philipinos are the numerically largest Asian nationality, yet they are far less visible than the Chinese, Vietnamese, or Korean groups etc..., because most of them are well-educated professionals and technicians thoroughly integrated into US society.

The mass-immigration of African-Indians to the UK in the 70s didn't cause any major social disruption either, as most of them came with skill, education, and knowledge of English.

In Spain, I honestly don't think that the social division between Spaniards, Latin Americans, and Rumanians would last beyong one generation; as these 3 groups come from a similar cultural background..., with the others I'm not quite sure.

Nowadays, with so much inequality; the economic factor may be another factor contributing to the "culture shock". Immigrants from a poverty-striken nation who have never seen electricity or running water eating one meal a day...., would obviously find it hard to adapt to the extravagant lifestyle of the First World..., and vice versa. 

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 13:36
Calvo
the British model believes that one can be 100% British but not culturally "English", and immigrants and their children become "English" only when they want to, but they are not given any specific encouragement.

I think the Brittish system is better in the long term as the best way to "integrate" is not to "force". If a community feels threatened they will tend to keep to themselves more. As you commented above, Carribeans in England generally are well integrated into working class society. There is a "Black Brittish" identity, ie they're Brittish and can also keep their heritage although today their heritage is becomming more and more English. 
However, they're often associated with crime but then again so are working class white English folk so its more a "socio-economic" issue as Calva stated.

Also the Indian and Pakistani's generally are well educated and strive to be sucessfull. There culture is actually promoted, Bollywood, cuisine, music and so on. Its forming a Brittish-Asian identity creating allegience to feeling Brittish yet still being Asian at the same time.

In addition there are also those communities which have not integrated as well and live in segregated communities. However, in large cities most ethnics mix, go to school and make friends with each other.

As long as Britain carries on this path and tries to reject some of the racist rhetoric and Islamophobia rising in Europe in the long term she will be better off. However, some of the tabloid media likes to create tesnion, labelling migrants as criminals, stealing jobs and being leaches.

Alot of the integration problems in Western Europe in my opinion are due to not embracing them as a part of society, they're made scapegoats and due to always being targetted it made them more resistant to any form of assimilation which they percieve to be a threat.

Maharbbal
I was talking to a Spanish friend tonight and she was telling me that Spain was very peculiar as most of the migrants are South Americans

That sounds great for Spain, having immigrants who speak the language, have cultural and religous similarities would really help.

In my opinion integration works best when there is no integration policy or active motive to force people to change. It also depends on whether a "multi or mono" cultural society is desired. In a multi cultural society, having various peoples of different cultures shouldn't be percieved as a "problem". These cultures living side by side will through time fuse and be incorporated into the dominant culture, thus enriching the overall society and creating the best form of integration.
The problem today is that there is a resistance to multi-culturism however various media groups, parties and polliticians don't want to be percieved as mono-culturalists and so pretend they're multicultural, thus creating a scenario where we preach multiculturism but the same people don't actually want it and actually mean the opposite. 

Edited by Bulldog - 03-Jul-2007 at 13:42
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 16:23
Bulldog, I wouldn't be so certain as you are. Look at the Scottish protestants that moved in Ireland in the 15th century They're still there and there is still a massive problem.

I agree with you that some British blacks are amazingly well integrated. Once in a while you see a group of lads and a black man amongst them who is just a lad amongst the lads. On the other hand I lived in front of a school where easily 80% of the pupils were black.

When it comes to the ghettos, I'd said it is luck that decides. Here is an example common in France:
- 1960s, massive numbers of North Africans are brought in to work in the factories set in the Northern towns or at safe distance of the important cities. They live in project specially designed for them (cheap but relative comfort, mostly single men).
- 1973 first oil shock unemployment rises dangerously
- 1974 new emigration laws working migrants can bright their families to them. The projects designed for single men suddenly have to deal with massive input of women and children. Local public services cannot cope with this influx, education and health are very very poor.
- 1977 new law on lodging, acquiring a house becomes very easy. Whoever can move out does (mostly qualified French workers), the electoral weight of the projects drops.
- 1972-1978 great revolution of the French underworld, the godfathers of the French connection lose in a few month their Turkish providers and their American buyers, the Corsicans lose the leadership to a large number of small local caids. First significant drug wave in French cities, The bonanza concentrates on big markets (the 3 major cities). The unemployed and de facto ostracised migrants and sons of migrants take their chance, for 30 years they will dominate the market.
- 1984-2007 the lodging market in inner towns keep rising fast, the last chances to leave the ghettos dissipate. The inner towns are the new job centers of the service society, these jobs are at 2 hours or more by public transport, the geographic and economic ghettoisation of the migrants is completed.
- 1985-2007 the majors hopes put in the new socialist government and in the civil rights movement dissipate. The gang and street cultures and later radical religiosity (not only Muslim btw) participate to create a very negative image of the ghettos' youth. Fear, racism and unemployment also participate in the rise of xenophobic feelings and parties creating an even larger discrimination.

I am a free donkey!
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 05:52
What I'm curious to know about France is whether in the so-called "Red-belt" (now "FN belt") of Paris, the inhabitants had always been rather racist even when they voted the Communist party, or whether they became racist after experiencing a rising crime wave?

It'd be ironic for someone to switch from one extreme to the other. The Communist party is iopenly against racism, religion, and archaic traditions - all the values that LePen stands for.

Is the typical social profile of a Communist voter very similar to that of an FN voter?
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 06:08
OK one thing I may not have made clear, there is no real crime wave, there is a crime awareness-zero tolerance wave 

The PCF (Frech Communist Party) has or rather had a lot in common with the FN indeed. First and foremost it had a very simplistic way of talking: going from, the shareholder have all the money lets take it to the migrants have all the jobs lets take them back, the rhetoric is not too different.

Of course we can't over generalize. The PCF was supported by some of the most brilliant minds in France (Sartre, Picasso, etc), the FN isn't. But the PCF was in its own way very nationalist too. This make it easy to jump from one extreme to the other.

All the polls indicate that the FN electorate is overwhelmingly popular or even poor. It was never the case for the PCF where the factory workers never represented more than 50% of the electorate (less than 30% of them regularly voted PCF). So the social profiles resembles each other but are not identical. Some traditional PCF lands have turned FN, but some didn't and some FN lands have never been PCF.

But in any case the reality in the red belt was very different under the reds and the browns. I a PCF municipality, an enormous amount of money was sent for the comfort of the population (sport facilities, libraries, public transports, schools, holidays for the kids, etc) they had a real social program. The FN on the other hand is anti taxes so
I am a free donkey!
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 06:48
Regarding the PCF zones that transformed to FN, was the transition also accompanied by a change in social profile of the residents? Or are most of these municiples inhabitted by more or less the same people?

I could imagine that if the same community is divided between PCF and FN voters, confrontations should be frequent.

The PCF as well produced some of the bloodiest dictators in history: Pol Pot and Hu-Chi-Ming!

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 10:08

The British census is based primarily on race, not so much ethnicity, and exists from a time when the government could do it no matter what the public thought. The French used to have this, but WWII left a bad taste in their mouthes over this sort of thing.
Plus there is apathy, the Brits just go along with almost anything. I think if the Dutch introduced the British aproach to race in their census, half the population would either leave it blank, or tick 'other' just to spite the government.
Arrrgh!!"
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 13:53
Marhabbal
I agree with you that some British blacks are amazingly well integrated. Once in a while you see a group of lads and a black man amongst them who is just a lad amongst the lads. On the other hand I lived in front of a school where easily 80% of the pupils were black.

Your right, there are some areas in London if somebody blindfolded and left you there then took it off you'd think you were somewhere in Africa or the Carribean.

There are various pockets where people of an ethnicity seem to live.

However, those who become more wealthy end up in more mixed areas where its majority White English.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 14:32
Originally posted by Bulldog

As long as Britain carries on this path and tries to reject some of the racist rhetoric and Islamophobia rising in Europe in the long term she will be better off. However, some of the tabloid media likes to create tesnion, labelling migrants as criminals, stealing jobs and being leaches.

Alot of the integration problems in Western Europe in my opinion are due to not embracing them as a part of society, they're made scapegoats and due to always being targetted it made them more resistant to any form of assimilation which they percieve to be a threat.

I agree with you, Bulldog.
When the rioting was happening in the French suburbs in 2005, the right-winged newspapers in Spain refer to it as a an "immigrant revolt".
They gave many Spaniards the impression that the reason for the social unrest in France is caused by immigration and immigration alone, and that ALL immigrants in France are poorly integrated trouble-makers.

This impression created is in fact rather false because:
1. those who rioted were mostly not immigrants. Most of them were born in France and many of them had parents who were born in France.
2. half the population in France are descended from immigration waves of the 19th and 20th century, yet the vast majority are perfectly integrated.

The question is: the well-integrated children of immigrants are not referred to as "immigrants".
The actor Jean Reno (not his original name), for example, was born in Casablanca and moved to France as a teenager. However, he's considered as "typically French".

However, a phrase that's heard very often in Spain is: "with so many immigrants here, a big riot has got to happen sooner or later."
... as if immigration by itself has anything to do with rioting.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 17:50
Calvo
.. as if immigration by itself has anything to do with rioting.

Exactly.

The biggest factor of social unrest is "socio-economic". Most immigrants initially and still today are the ones who will do the jobs most natives wont, they'll be employed in jobs that belong to the bottom of the social ladder. As a result they'll also end up living in areas with people in the poorest areas. Now, those areas already have crime levels, its natural that new-commers into the area will join that cycle as long as they remain in their current socio-economic situation. 

However, this is totally ignored. Many inner-city council estates and ones in majority white English areas have exactly the same problems, however, the media likes to focus on those which have more minorities.
By focusing on this the governments and media like to create the perception that its not their fault, that these people commit crime simply because they're new and so naturally bad.

If the immigrants comming were educated, wealthy professionals building businesses and creating jobs they wouldn't be involved in petty crime, street gangs and rioting.
Infact there would be no problem, they'd be welcomned, not alot of noise or propoganda would be made against them.
Just look at the Russians comming into London, there arn't any claims that they're stealing jobs, taking houses and terrible evil people who just want to destroy the way of life.
Its because Russians are buying luxury houses, they're in privated schools and mixing with a higher socio-economic grouping of people.

In conclusion its clear that most problems are socio-economic. The educated, proffesional and more wealthy folk don't have a problem with educated, proffessional wealthy Russians, Pakistanis, Arabs. But the poor working class locals have a problem with poor working class immmigrants.

Even if all immigrants left the same problems would still arise, they'll still be social unrest and riots if there is sociol unjustice, huge poor-rich gap and an uneducated, poor group of people with no expectations in life.
Albert Pine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>