Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Teutonic Campaign on Eastern Europe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Balain d Ibelin View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teutonic Campaign on Eastern Europe
    Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 08:10

Someone could describe me about the Teutonic Knights Campaign on Eastern Europe? I need your help.

"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 08:40
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 13:31
Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 13:38

wiki about the battle

The battle was one of the most significant defeats sustained by Roman Catholic crusaders during the Northern Crusades, which were directed against pagans and Eastern Orthodox Christians rather than Muslims in the Holy Land. The crusaders' defeat in the battle effectively marked the end of significant campaigns against the Orthodox Novgorod Republic and other Russian territories in the aftermath of the conquest of Estonia.

Σαυρομάτης
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 14:36
Common, Sarmat, Battle of Ice importance is WAY too much exaggerated in Russian medieval history and in the whole context of Teutonic Order actions in Baltic. Your mentioned movie which is perfect example how not to make historical movies, similar to Hollywood products.

There were lots of bigger battles and way more important than battle of Ice which majority aren't aware off. I don't know why this certain battle has grown to almost mythical status, but had so little importance in later events in 13th century.

Also Northern Crusades or Baltic Crusades (depends on context) were not directed against Russian orthodox, though of course fights happened with Orthodox Russians, Catholic Poles and later also with other "German " states like Brandenburg and various from Livonia.

I guess that the best sources in English language about Teutonic campaign in Baltic are the articles and books written by American historian William Urban.
You can read his articles here:
http://department.monm.edu/history/urban/articles/articles.htm

Though if you have some specific questions, I will be glad to answer.

Ah, and BTW wikipedia isn't the best source if you want to know more about Teutonics.

Edited by axeman - 27-Jun-2007 at 14:45
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 15:07
Originally posted by axeman

Common, Sarmat, Battle of Ice importance is WAY too much exaggerated in Russian medieval history and in the whole context of Teutonic Order actions in Baltic. Your mentioned movie which is perfect example how not to make historical movies, similar to Hollywood products.

There were lots of bigger battles and way more important than battle of Ice which majority aren't aware off. I don't know why this certain battle has grown to almost mythical status, but had so little importance in later events in 13th century.

Also Northern Crusades or Baltic Crusades (depends on context) were not directed against Russian orthodox, though of course fights happened with Orthodox Russians, Catholic Poles and later also with other "German " states like Brandenburg and various from Livonia.

I guess that the best sources in English language about Teutonic campaign in Baltic are the articles and books written by American historian William Urban.
You can read his articles here:
http://department.monm.edu/history/urban/articles/articles.htm

Though if you have some specific questions, I will be glad to answer.

Ah, and BTW wikipedia isn't the best source if you want to know more about Teutonics.

Smile Dear axeman, don't worry so much. Actually wikipedia also gives the account similar to your assesment.

I don't say that Battle of the Ice, was more important than for example Battle of Tannenberg.

But the thing is that for Russians, this is the most famous battle in the context of the interactions between the Order and Ancient Russia. That's it.

Besides, I don't say that the movie is 100% historically accurate. But it is fun to watch it !Smile
Σαυρομάτης
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 16:02
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Smile Dear axeman, don't worry so much. Actually wikipedia also gives the account similar to your assesment.

I don't say that Battle of the Ice, was more important than for example Battle of Tannenberg.

But the thing is that for Russians, this is the most famous battle in the context of the interactions between the Order and Ancient Russia. That's it.

Besides, I don't say that the movie is 100% historically accurate. But it is fun to watch it !Smile

Well when I referred to the importance of the Battle of Ice - I didn't compare it with huge battle like Tannenberg, but rather with other 13th century battles, for example Durbe 1260. Many people aren't aware of this battle, but this was the largest battle in Baltic in whole 13th century. I guess wikipedia has article about it too.

Though indeed that movie is fun to watch LOL, just makes you wonder how one can put 20th century ideas and attitudes in the movie about 13th century. Though the cinematographic work was outstanding, Eisenstein was a really great director, too bad he had to work for Stalin.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2007 at 20:08
Well, it wasn't the Teutonic order that was defeated in 1242... But it was important in many ways, just as Battle of Saule (1236) was important... 
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 01:10
Originally posted by rider

Well, it wasn't the Teutonic order that was defeated in 1242... But it was important in many ways, just as Battle of Saule (1236) was important... 

Dear rider, could you please a little bit clarify on that? Did you mean that Russians hadn't fought Teutonian knights at the Battle of the ice or what?

I am little bit confused
Σαυρομάτης
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 02:57
Yeah, cause it was the Livonian order they fought. A subordinate of the Prussian (or Teutonic Order) but nevertheless, not the Teutonic Order. Would you really believe the Teutonic Grand Master (or rather, Hochmaster) would come down from Prussia to die in a single battle (as supposedly, not made certain, I believe is the fact that the Livonian Grand Master died in the battle; some claim he did and some claim he wasn't even at the battle).
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 04:37
Rider is right. The Order that Russians fought in Battle of Ice was called Order of Cavaliers of the Sword not Teutopnic Order.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 11:18
Wrong again.

I believe you are talking currently of the Livonian Brethern of the Sword (or some translation of the name) which was annihilated in 1236 at Saule by Latgals. The remaining brothers were incorporated into the Livonian Order, which was a subordinate of the Prussian (or Teutonic) Order.
milns View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote milns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 17:46
You are also wrong.
Fratres milicie Christi or Livonian Brothers of the Sword were anihilated by Lithuanians in battle of Saule.
Un beidzot liecas un sašķīst viss kristīgo bars -
Nav pārspējams šodien tiem zemgaļu niknums un kaujas spars!
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 19:43

Yeah, cause it was the Livonian order they fought. A subordinate of the Prussian (or Teutonic Order) but nevertheless, not the Teutonic Order. Would you really believe the Teutonic Grand Master (or rather, Hochmaster) would come down from Prussia to die in a single battle (as supposedly, not made certain, I believe is the fact that the Livonian Grand Master died in the battle; some claim he did and some claim he wasn't even at the battle).

Well, the remains of Livonian order were incorporated in Teutonian in 1238. So "officially" I think we could say that Russia fought Teutonian knights or the branch of Teutonic order that originated from the former Livonian order.

It's just the question of wording IMHO 
Σαυρομάτης
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 04:31
Both wrong. The Livonian Brothers of the Sword were incorporated into the Livonian Order which was a subordinate of the Teutonic Order. Yes, Lithuanians played a part in Saule (and it was 1236) but I remember a contingency of Latgals there too.

The Livonian Order was disassembled only in 1561 when the Grand Master Godhard Kettler surrendered to the Polish Crown and became the Duke of Courland.

Originally posted by Milns

You are also wrong.
Fratres milicie Christi or Livonian Brothers of the Sword were anihilated by Lithuanians in battle of Saule.

I said exactly the same, so how am I wrong?

milns View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote milns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 13:52

Both wrong. The Livonian Brothers of the Sword were incorporated into the Livonian Order which was a subordinate of the Teutonic Order. Yes, Lithuanians played a part in Saule (and it was 1236) but I remember a contingency of Latgals there too. I said exactly the same, so how am I wrong?

Probobly there were Latgals and Estonians aswell, but they were allied to crusaders.
It is Semigalls you were talking, but it is not known for sure if they have been in battle or just killed the retreting crusaders in Semigallia.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 02:27
Oh damned, I always mix those guys up... Semgals then... 
milns View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote milns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 06:39
yap, semgals. Latgals allmost allways were fighting on teh side of crusaders.
Balain d Ibelin View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 08:02
Hey.. we wanna talk about the Teutonics okay..
"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 09:47
Then why did you go to the Baltics?

The Teutonic Order (or Prussian which identifies it better) was mostly fighting the Poles (officially or unofficially) or the Prussian tribes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>