Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Racism through history.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
SulcataIxlude View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SulcataIxlude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racism through history.
    Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 11:52
Hello everyone, if this post is in the wrong forum, I humbly apologize in advance. I was wondering if racism was a problem that has been prominent since ancient societies, or was it more low-key until colonialzation and use to religion/cultural superiority to justify the slave trade and other world altering events. Thank you all for your time.
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 12:14
  It was definitely around since the start of Rome, and probably long before that. Racism now is not as widespread.
Polish-UkrainianCanadian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Polish-UkrainianCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 12:47
C'est un sujet incroyablement. Wang ty otkuda v Rossiy??
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Polish-UkrainianCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 13:29

これは全然意味を成していない! 私はドイツ人か英国が最もよいどうかかなり確実でない。

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 15:20
The Ancient Egyptions were pretty prejudiced towards the Nubians by all accounts, and the Greeks regarded the Persians as an inferior race. They're the two oldest I can think of.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 15:45
I dont thinkt the Egyptians should count as racist in the modern sense, as long as you were culturally Egyptian you could rise to any position and hold any office regardless of actual race or ethnic background.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Polish-UkrainianCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 16:43

Oui, les egyptiens ancien ont un civilization horrible. Ils ont tr鑚 horrible, parce que ils ont tu les Nubiens, et les Nubiens sont les esclaves de les egyptiens ancien.

dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 18:08
ty otkuda v Rossiy??
Iz Moskvyi
A tyi chevo govorish po Franzuski?

Edited by dark_one
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Polish-UkrainianCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 18:14
da, ya govorit po frantsuskyy, anglieskyy, russkiy, i ukrayinskyy.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Polish-UkrainianCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 18:19

ト, 胚 胛粽頸 -, 韜, モ琲韜, 瑙肭韜韜, 瑙銖韜 鍄. ツ - 趺 瑟 蒻. フ - 糂 ム珞. フ趺 ツ, 赳鴦 琥頸 頌趾褊韃 珞頷 蒟. Ecspecially 韜 鍄 モ琲. マ韜 鍄 鞦籵褪 韈 モ琲?? ネ モ琲 鞦籵 韈 マ??

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 18:39
Shouldn't this be in english?  There's a non-english section for that.
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 21:39
yeah, i thought it was supposed to stay english

anyway, i think that what has to be decided here is the difference between viewing one's culture as superior and racism.  since the beginning of civilization, cultures have looked down on foreign cultures as inferior simply because they were different.  however, tobadai said, it is not really racism if someone of a different race is accepted in society if they share a common culture.
SulcataIxlude View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote SulcataIxlude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 22:10
I've read that in Ancient Rome and Greece any foreigner who asserted into Roman or Greek culture would be accepted, and could get any goverment position or job without having to worry about the color of their skin, or mother culture.
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 22:55
 Unfortunately I do not have the Slavic alphabet pack thing (or wahtever it is called) on my computer here in America, so I can't see Russian characters.
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 17:28

Racism has been around since the creation of mankind.

In ancient China, everyone outside the Great Wall was recorded as an uncivilized barbarian on Imperial documents and historical records by the court.

In the West, same thing was done by the Romans and the Greeks although many Persians and who was called barbarians actually did achieve a high level of civilization (e.g. barbylon).

In the US today, there are stereotypes targeting different races. e.g. Asians are good at math but bad in sport.

however, to a certain extent, I kinda think that Asians are relatively weak in sport on an average basis as well.

I can say that because I am an Azn myself

Edited by coolstorm
ソスソスソスヌアjソス~ソスソス ソスソスソスソスソスソスソスソス
ソスソス ソスソス ソスC ソスq ソスD ソスソス ソスソス ソスソス ソスソス ソスT ソスソス ソスソス ソスg ソスA ソスソス ソスソス ソスソス ソスソス ソスソス ソスU ソスN ソスソス ソスソス
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 18:07
 What are some white or Russian stereotypes?
And yes I actually do drink a lot of Vodka for one thing. In fact a lot of people in my family were alcoholics.
Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 18:22

People imagine that whites are the only racists around. That's kind of a stereotype, don't you think? Racism towards whites is generaly ignored.

The Irish are considered good drinkers

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 19:31

Well...I don't think I can define racism in this context.  Anyone enlighten me?

Grrr..
Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 20:47

It's a bit difficult to explain... but I will try with an example. I hope you understand.

A few months ago I read a story called ''The Pearl''. Part of the story shows how White South Americans treated the Aborigins. In it, the antagonist was a rich fat white doctor who didn't cure the poisoned baby of the main character, just because he was an Aborigin. Instead of properly doing his job, he only thought about money and luxuries. None of my classmates thought that the text shows a bad stereotype of white men, and that the author might have been racist.

If the antagonist (in this case, the doctor) was for example, a Jew - sort of like ''The Merchant of Venice'' - everybody would have concluded that the author was racist.  

Please don't judge me as one

TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 00:37
Originally posted by Artaxiad

People imagine that whites are the only racists around. That's kind of a stereotype, don't you think? Racism towards whites is generaly ignored.

The Irish are considered good drinkers

Generalisation

True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>