Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro and cons of families

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro and cons of families
    Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 07:11
And if the people in other countries don't want gay "marriage" or out of wedlock mothers, then what are you going to do? Invade?
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Online Status: Offline
  Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 07:34
Originally posted by Sparten

And if the people in other countries don't want gay "marriage" or out of wedlock mothers, then what are you going to do? Invade?

Well it's not really even an issue of how we would transform those societies. Even if we could do it by means other than invasion or other lethal coercion, it violates the principle of self-determination (in the sense of sovereignty rather than separatism, identity politics etc) and we've been getting in trouble with that one since Las Casas established it. Better to simply be a good example and hope for the best.

Edited by edgewaters - 26-Jun-2007 at 07:36
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 10:41
How about "mind your own business"! For both sides. I don't think Pakistan should ever consider legalising homosexality, never mind allowing gay "marriage". However, I have no right to oppose Canada or Holland or Spain's decision to do so, beyond a comment that I think its wrong.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 00:54

How about "mind your own business"! For both sides. I don't think Pakistan should ever consider legalising homosexality, never mind allowing gay "marriage". However, I have no right to oppose Canada or Holland or Spain's decision to do so, beyond a comment that I think its wrong.

Sparten, you can thank your God that you are not in EU. Poland is not so lucky. We have to hear about violation of homosexual rights in Poland only because the prime minister of Polish government is brave enough and says that homosexuality isn't normal. And that normal marriage consists of man and woman.

Edited by ataman - 27-Jun-2007 at 00:56
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 02:48
Originally posted by ataman

Sparten, you can thank your God that you are not in EU. Poland is not so lucky. We have to hear about violation of homosexual rights in Poland only because the prime minister of Polish government is brave enough and says that homosexuality isn't normal.

The European Union seems to disagree. Of course Poland is allowed to have its own opinions on homosexuality, but if they don't agree with the EU (and homosexuality is far from the only case where that is true) it should never have joined in the first place.

of Polish government is brave enough and says that homosexuality isn't normal.

Insulting minorities, very brave indeed!
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 04:05

How about "mind your own business"! For both sides.

I don't think Islamic countries should have to make room for any Western institutions in their culture, and vice-versa, except when it is demanded by the people.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 04:32
I think acceptance of gays as both human and normal can and should be done by every government, no matter what or how. Not to do so is a violation of human rights. Religion has nothing to do with it, governments should be secular. People who are religious have every right not to engage in homosexual relationships when their religion forbids it. Just as every person has the right not to drink alcohol or eat cow when religion demands it. But you can no more forbid others to have gay relationships as you can forbid others to drink or eat cow. Any government that does do so should be considered as opressive.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 04:56
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I think acceptance of gays as both human and normal can and should be done by every government, no matter what or how. Not to do so is a violation of human rights. Religion has nothing to do with it, governments should be secular.

Quite right. Secular Western polyarchy is an absolute value which we should impose on all nations. Just let me get a few missionaries, or maybe conquistadors, together. I mean, that's really the only conflict we have in public discourse about the Middle East and similar discussions: whether to use missionaries or conquistadors. In the end, we use both methods, as we always have, and with the same results.

We've been deluded with this notion of "civilizing the savages" for a long time now. It's time to let it go, and let other societies define themselves. My heart isn't bleeding for gays in the Middle East who can't get married; they have much worse problems, like us trying to impose our values on them, which is tearing them apart in bloody wars, civil wars, coups, and general political and social instability.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 05:00
Ah yes, my mistake. Of course it is none of our business whan people on the other side of the world suffer. After all, as long as we live in wealth and luxury, there is really no reason to care about whether other people are tortured and killed for being as they are, or having an opinion of their own.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 05:13
An entirely gay world only would last for a generation!
elenos
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 05:17
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Originally posted by ataman

Sparten, you can thank your God that you are not in EU. Poland is not so lucky. We have to hear about violation of homosexual rights in Poland only because the prime minister of Polish government is brave enough and says that homosexuality isn't normal.

The European Union seems to disagree. Of course Poland is allowed to have its own opinions on homosexuality, but if they don't agree with the EU (and homosexuality is far from the only case where that is true) it should never have joined in the first place.

First of all, when Poland was joining EU, there wasn't the right which forced members of EU to agree with homosexual marriages. In fact this right still doesn't exist. But there are constant attempts to unify European morality. The last one was in the last European summit talks. Only thanks to Great Britain it failed this time (my special thanks for British government!).
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

of Polish government is brave enough and says that homosexuality isn't normal.

Insulting minorities, very brave indeed!

Insulting minorities? If sombody states that blind men aren't normal, you also recognise it as insulting? For me it is the fact. And the fact can't insult any normal man.
People are different. For example some people are disabled, other people are not. Disabled people can't say that they are normal, because a health is normal. If sombody forbids a blind man to be a pilot, it is not a discrimination.
Nobody in Poland oppresses homosexuals. When Polish prime minister says that homosexuality isn't normal, it doesn't mean that he wants to kill all homosexuals. It only means that they can't demand some rights which are attachmented to normal marriages.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 05:23
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Ah yes, my mistake. Of course it is none of our business whan people on the other side of the world suffer. After all, as long as we live in wealth and luxury, there is really no reason to care about whether other people are tortured and killed for being as they are, or having an opinion of their own.

Ridiculous. People being shot in the streets in the Middle East because of a conflict over Westernization are suffering. Not being able to get married is, at best, an unfairness and indignity - but suffering? I guess you and I have a different definition of that word.

There are some few people killed or tortured in Islamic countries because they are homosexual - but hundreds of thousands of people have died or been tortured because of the combination of internal and external conflict over Western values, and that's just Iraq. If it's a question of saving lives, rushing things is costing hundreds of thousands, maybe millions. Slowing the process of Westernization might save untold thousands of lives and reduce the suffering of entire populations; escalating it would certainly cause millions more deaths.

Would you cause millions of deaths to save a few hundreds or thousands?

Edited by edgewaters - 27-Jun-2007 at 05:38
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 05:31
Originally posted by elenos

An entirely gay world only would last for a generation!

Elenos, you have said what Polish prime minister already said. Therefore he is attacked by homosexuals and by people like Aelfgifu, who think that saying facts is either insulting or discrimination.

Edited by ataman - 27-Jun-2007 at 05:33
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 05:40
Aelfgifu,

why can't you tolerate the fact that people in other countries have other morality than your one? Why do you want to convert all people to your morality? Please, be more tolerant for people who think different than you.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 06:05
Aelfgifu, may I ask you something? Can you tell me, if your country has legalised incest and zoophilia?
Note - I don't want to offend neither you nor your country. I am just curious.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 06:05

Did the Polish Prime Minister say that? I was trying to be neutral on the issue and so, I suppose, was the Polish Prime Minister. The Prime Minister of Australia thinks the same way and favours traditional marriages. Just this week he has declared war on child sex abuse in Aboriginal communities and sent in the army. If the truth be told much abuse has been homosexual.

Edited by elenos - 27-Jun-2007 at 06:07
elenos
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 06:06
Originally posted by elenos

Did the Polish Prime Minister say that?

Yes, he did. He said exactly what you wrote here.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 06:10
I must have picked it up subconsciously, but it's common sense.  People should have freedom but not the kind that is forced upon them.
elenos
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 07:27
lol how did we get here?

I guess there are several questions here.

First ataman is out of his mind. The EU never tried to force Poland to legalize gay marriage. Neither it is force Portugal and Ireland to legalize abortion. What it may have done is to comment on the respect of the human rights to which the gays are entitled. I mean if an homosexual's civil and social rights are denied because he is gay, it is EU's business to defend him not as a gay man but as a human.

Second there is nothing in common between homosexuality in the one hand and incest and pedophilia on the other as the former involves two adults able to make choices for themselves, while the latter involves a child. If one of you don't see a difference here, I suggest he goes straight to the medic. For that matter aborigenes don't indulge into homosexual incest and pedophilia because their are gay but because they are drunk and unemployed.

Third, Pinguin consider this an official warning. First because you can not insult such a large population calling them a mistake, second because your comment is idiotic in two respect 1) have you ever seen a government favouring sodomy 2) homosexuality is normal and evolutionary positive (if you want I'll explain it later).

Thirdly, the West should indeed shut up because homosexual rights are under threat in Pakistan or wherever else. But it should surely voice up when the most basic human rights of the homosexuals are under attack (cf Egypt's 80 death sentences)

Fourth to go back to the original topic, it is likely that the traditional family is not only an ideological fabric but also a truly positive system favouring more and better educated kids.
The governments here face a major problem: on the one hand they are not allowed and shouldn't be to force a certain form of family upon people, specially because  in many cases divorce can have a strongly positive effect on the children, on the other hand diminishing the number of divorces would be statistically good for the individuals and for the whole country. How can we solve this paradox?
I am a free donkey!
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 07:54
Originally posted by Maharbbal

lol how did we get here?

It wasn't me who started this discussion about homosexuality Smile

First ataman is out of his mind. The EU never tried to force Poland to legalize gay marriage. What it may have done is to comment on the respect of the human rights to which the gays are entitled. I mean if an homosexual's civil and social rights are denied because he is gay, it is EU's business to defend him not as a gay man but as a human.

Maharbbal, do you know where is the problem? The problem is that we - all countries of EU - agree that human rights should be respected, but there are different interpretations of these 'human rights'. As you can see, there is a strong tendency in European countries to legalise homosexual marriages. There are also attempts to unify rights and morality for the whole EU. When tendency to unification of rights in EU will win, Poland will have to introduce rights - these rights which are against our morality.

BTW, which gays' rights in Poland are denied?

BTW2
we are alredy forced to something. Poland can't introduce a death penalty, thought over 70% of Polish society support this idea.

Second there is nothing in common between homosexuality in the one hand and incest and pedophilia on the other as the former involves two adults able to make choices for themselves, while the latter involves a child. If one of you don't see a difference here, I suggest he goes straight to the medic.

Does anybody state that these are the same things Confused?

Edited by ataman - 27-Jun-2007 at 07:59
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>