Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suleyman and Vienna

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suleyman and Vienna
    Posted: 03-Mar-2005 at 13:59

Originally posted by Shafi

Could you provide the web page link plz ?

I wish. It was some time ago. But it did have to do with the Istanbul museum. I'll try to find it.

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2005 at 14:14

Originally posted by Turk

If you know German the b in the middle of a sentence is pronounced like a p, this may be some of the confusion for some english speakers. But the correct spelling is however the Austrians spelled it, and since they used and still use the latin alphabet, it would be Habsburg.

no the b in Habsburg is not pronoucned as p, i'm certian...

Originally posted by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

I have English books which use the phonetic spelling with a "p", so I don't see what the big deal is.

Nobody gets bent out of shape when one sees contemporary spellings of, say "landsknecht"--it can be spelled as landsknecht or lanzknecht.  It's considered the same word (both refer to the same thing), and yet the literal translations are obviously different ("servant of the land" and "lance-servant" respectively).

but Landsknecht with z is wrong. the weapon fo choice of the landsknecht soldeirs was the Pike and not the Lanze (lance), therefore spellign with z is wrong.

and really, in how many ways can you spell Tudor, Bourbon, Lancaster Hohenzollern or Windsor?

Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Rava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2005 at 14:25

Veni,vidi,vici Jan III at Vienna.

Edited by Rava
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2005 at 14:28
Sorry Shafi. I can't seem to find it. But I do recall finding it on the site of a military museum (with several painting detailing the battles engaged by the Ottomans). People with knowledge of the Turkish tongue will perhaps have a better shot than I.
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2005 at 23:41
Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

Nobody gets bent out of shape when one sees contemporary spellings of, say "landsknecht"--it can be spelled as landsknecht or lanzknecht.  It's considered the same word (both refer to the same thing), and yet the literal translations are obviously different ("servant of the land" and "lance-servant" respectively).

but Landsknecht with z is wrong. the weapon fo choice of the landsknecht soldeirs was the Pike and not the Lanze (lance), therefore spellign with z is wrong.

Tell that to the folks who lived in the Hapsburg territories circa 1500 AD, who began using the "z" spelling at that time.

Or to Sir John Smythe, who referred to the "lance-knights Almains", back in 1590.

And, modern German/English dictionaries list both spellings.

So, lanzknecht may be "wrong" to you, but it's still an historically valid spelling.

Strictly speaking, the lance and pike are not the same--the former is a horseman's weapon, while the latter is a footman's weapon.  However, this distinction was apparently not always recognized, as the historical use of the term lanzknecht clearly shows.

Another example would be Antonio Pigafetta's first-hand account of the Battle of Mactan in the Philippines, where Magellan was killed.  The weapons that Magellan and his men used included pikes or half-pikes (probably the latter)--they were fighting on foot, in the surf--yet Pigafetta describes them as "lances".

Edited by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner
"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 14:45

Originally posted by Degredado

Sorry Shafi. I can't seem to find it. But I do recall finding it on the site of a military museum (with several painting detailing the battles engaged by the Ottomans). People with knowledge of the Turkish tongue will perhaps have a better shot than I.

No problem .. Thanks Degredado

Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 11:53

this is the reason

1. winter
  2. the supplies road become too long
  3. the main reason the fate if he did it maybe europe now is muslim place 

for me i am sad he coulden't make it

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 12:46
Well the reason is that there was like a mini-cooling down age at that time.Kanuni worked extremely hard to transport his huge sieging cannons but whenever he built a bridge,it was smashed because of floods,rain and so on.So the wether pretty much caused it
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Gazi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Gazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2005 at 09:21
Well actually Suleyman's goal wasnt besieging vienna.He was expecting to face an army on an open field.His cannons werent suited for siege  and some were left on the road to vienna to lighten the load.His army was demoralised as they wanted to fight on a field.(thats how Turkish troops were...If you promised them a good fight and didnt give it to them they sulked.)Yet Suleyman besieged the city.But the defenders werent giving up that easily so he packed up and returned home.(I think its a pity he coudnt take the city.)
Freedom is the recognition of necessity.-Friedrich Engels
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12