Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Conspiracies in history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conspiracies in history
    Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 17:11
Recently I was watching Conspiracy Day on discovery and I must it was all very intriguing.

I think everyone loves a good conspiracy. We all love that little tingle of nerves you get when reads or hear the.

Heres a list of just some of the thousands out there.

Before you say no I am not a Conspiracy nut!LOL

I just find some of these theories very interesting and enjoy reading about them.

I thought it would make for an interesting discussion.

Others not on that list include;

The Malcom X Murder

The Chappaquidick Incident

The Death of Robert Maxwell

September the 11th

The Lindbergh Baby Kidnap

The Sinking of the Lusitania

The 'death' of Hitler

The Death of Gregori Rasputin

I could go on and on.

So what are your favourites? Which ones are just rubbish? Have you any of your own?

Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 17:28

I just love Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum"' sadistic deconstruction and posterior rebuild of History based on conspiracy theories. LOL

zeno View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote zeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 18:23
Originally posted by Frederick Roger

I just love Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum"' sadistic deconstruction and posterior rebuild of History based on conspiracy theories. LOL

i heard about this guy, thanks for putting me on to him

Foucault's Pendulum sounds like a heavy read though. would you recommend it?
aslanlar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote aslanlar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 18:44
What was the conspiracy over Rasputins death?
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 22:33

I think, that the main ides of "Foucault's Pendulum" is that all the conspiracy thinking theory is fake. We can only make it real by believing in it. But there is no real content in it anyway.
Σαυρομάτης
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2007 at 05:24
Originally posted by Sarmat12

I think, that the main ides of "Foucault's Pendulum" is that all the conspiracy thinking theory is fake. We can only make it real by believing in it. But there is no real content in it anyway.

Exactly. The book is an exercise on irony, pointing to the dangers of believing too much in conspiracy theories.

Heavy reading... What do you consider heavy reading? To me heavy reading is "Ulysses", "Foucault's Pendulum" being a stroll in the park (on a stormy day) comparing to that. 
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2007 at 07:51

Originally posted by aslanlar

Rasputin's murder was undoubtedly the result of a conspiracy, led by Prince Felix Youssoupov and the Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovitch. The conspirators were proud of it afterwards.

There are of course plenty of real conspiracies in history: otherwise conspiracy would hardly be a crime. You don't criminalise things that don't happen.

There is a threshold however where conspiracy theories cross over into nonsense and that is hard to draw. A possible line is to dismiss any conspiracy theory that can explain everything about an incident, parallel to the way one dismisses scientific hypotheses that can explain any possible outcome to an experiment.

As an instance, consider 9/11. This was undoubtedly and unchallengeably the work of a conspiracy: it cannot have been a 'lone gunman' who brought down all four planes, and it can't have been four lone gunmen one per plane who purely coincidentally happened to choose that date and time. It also was undoubtedly planned in secret, to give the other requirement for a conspiracy.

No-one has ever suggested, as far as I know, that it wasn't a conspiracy. The only question is who was conspiring and how did they go about it.

Many of the answers that have been suggested to that have been completely outr, and indeed nonsensical. But the ones that aren't are still 'conspiracy theories'.

Edited by gcle2003 - 20-Jun-2007 at 07:57
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2007 at 08:24

Exactly. The book is an exercise on irony, pointing to the dangers of believing too much in conspiracy theories.

Heavy reading... What do you consider heavy reading? To me heavy reading is "Ulysses", "Foucault's Pendulum" being a stroll in the park (on a stormy day) comparing to that. 

Well, some strolls you take! Respect for that...LOL I found it quite a heavy read (I have not even tried Ulysses yet, it is still on the shelf) but it is most denfenately worth the effort. With the added bonus of feeling you have really achieved something by managing to finish it...Wink

I don't really believe in these fairy tale conspiracies (altough I do believe in real ones of course, like gcle mentioned). My favorite opinion on consipracy theories ever is (don't remember who said it) 'This is a government that can't even keep its own sex-scandals and embezzlements a secret, and they (conspiracy theorists) expect it to have kept area 51 hidden for around 40 years?'

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
zeno View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote zeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2007 at 08:52
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Well, some strolls you take! Respect for that...LOL I found it quite a heavy read (I have not even tried Ulysses yet, it is still on the shelf) but it is most denfenately worth the effort. With the added bonus of feeling you have really achieved something by managing to finish it...Wink

i meant does it suffer from being translated, is it very literary etc. But i think i will give it a go

RE: conspiracies

I think that the most outrageous conspiracy (potentially) must be the moon landing.

if we were fooled in 1969, some Oscars should be awarded LOL
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2007 at 19:19
Spear of Destiny is among my favorite. Although moon landing conspiracy is outrageous, it's fun to think about it.

Join us.
Onkel_Wowa View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Onkel_Wowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 09:54

In 2004 BBC released a documentary film about this assassination.
It was an operation of The British Intelligence. By the way, the person who shot dead Rasputin, Vladimir Purishkevich is most blamed for organizing so called Jewish Pogroms in Russia.
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 10:23
Only a conspiracy theory!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 12:20

Originally posted by Onkel_Wowa

In 2004 BBC released a documentary film about this assassination.
It was an operation of The British Intelligence.
Is there any evidence whatsoever for that other than that Yusupov was educated at Oxford and Britain gave him sanctuary?  

By the way, the person who shot dead Rasputin, Vladimir Purishkevich is most blamed for organizing so called Jewish Pogroms in Russia.

Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovitch Romanov is also supposed to have fired the shot that finally killed Rasputin. Now he was let go by the Bolsheviks, even though they killed his father, mother and brother. So I guess Lenin was in on the conspiracy too. And since the Germans helped Lenin get back into Russia, then they must have been in on it, so it was really an Anglo-German-Bolshevik-Romanov joint conspiracy.

Yay!

Who were they conspiring against? France? World Jewry?
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Onkel_Wowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 14:42
Leon Trotsky  brought as well $20 Millions in 1917 from America to make a revolution in Russia. His uncle Abram Zhivotovsky, a Russian banker, was a Rothschild's relative.
It was a joint operation. International bankers paid for everything.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 12:00
So it was an Anglo-German-Bolshevik-Romanov-American-Jewish conspiracy?

I guess poor Kerensky never had a chance.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 03:24
Of course there are plenty of ridiculous and absurd notions about imagined conspiracies, but I really hate this recent trend toward labelling any sort of organized aggressive action with any element of secrecy as "conspiracy theory" and thus imaginary. It's silly. History - even recent history - is absolutely replete with real conspiracies that were quite fantastic, but very real.

Look at the Lavon Affair, for instance. Or what about just before Barbarossa - were German politicians and officials not engaged in a secret conspiracy to attack Russia? It would all seem crazy before the truth was revealed, but all so ho-hum now because we've just accepted the facts.

Edited by edgewaters - 26-Jun-2007 at 03:25
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 06:23

A lot of people start taking some interest in history once a particular incident is called a conspiracy. Did an international rainbow of Trotskyites pervert Marxism? Who was Marylyns secret lover, was it JFK?  Why were there shadows and a breeze on the moon? Did a shot come from the grassy knoll? Did the CIA do 9/11 to make others look bad? Find out here as the nefarious schemes previously hidden from the world unfold!

We can go back in time and find all sorts of conspiracies waiting. Did aliens build the pyramids to disguise their embedded colonies on earth? Was Jesus married and did he have a child? The Da Vinca Code made the author a fortune by suggesting a family conspiracy, and didnt even tell half the story that could be told. Thats the problem. When a story is only half or less told it sells big time, the complete story is near worthless. Ye shall know never the truth for the truth is only an establishemt  conspiracy!    

Edited by elenos - 26-Jun-2007 at 06:28
elenos
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 07:20
I've always found how Romanus IV Diogenes was deserted by several of his commanders at Manzikert to reek of a Byzantine court conspiracy. His position as Emperor was disputed, especially by the Ducas family, and the person who commanded the heavy infantry at Manzikert, Andronicus Ducas, held his troops back at the decisive moment of the Seljuk charge. At the same time the Frank Roussell Ballieul withdrew his cavalry, and the Turkish mercenaries had already deserted in favour of the Seljuks...it'd be amazing if this was just a series of spontaneous and coincidental actions.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Onkel_Wowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 09:59
Some people find conspiracy theories silly. But, simple question: what gives people power? The answer is obvious: money. Where are our money? In a bank.
 Have You heard that bankers officially control any country? Probably, not. Because they hide this. Official government do not control their intelligence services, they obey them. Bankers control everything, including "free" mass media.

Edited by Onkel_Wowa - 26-Jun-2007 at 10:00
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 10:20
And who control the bankers? Share-holders.

And yes, shareholders control the world. Luckily there are so many of them, it is unlikely they are all in on a complot without anyone else knowing it. Let alone get consensus. LOL

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>