Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greek Orthodoxy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greek Orthodoxy
    Posted: 12-Sep-2008 at 22:06
Originally posted by arch.buff

And I admire and praise the Easterns for safeguarding their faith against the Turks, it is one of the noblest qualities that the Easterns have, in my opinion. However, it is this vulnerable position that would characterize their history for quite some time. You like to throw around accusations of atrocities without knowing the particulars. The Pope condemned the sacking of Constantinople and ex-communicated all those taking part; he gave instructions that Constantinople was not to be disturbed. Their constant vulnerable and dangerous situation would prompt many Orthodox to try and explain away the reunion councils in which for a brief time they really turned to their Orthodox Catholic roots.

Actions speak louder then words I would say. And while I do not blame the pope directly for Constantinople, I do not ignore the fact that the crusaders were of the papist faith.

There was a "reunification" for a very short period of time and the Orthodox people rioted against this choice. It was a political union to try to get the west to help instead of hamper the Roman Empire. I believe the one man at the council of "unification" that refused to sign it is sainted in our Church today.

I disagree, others would to:

some of them commented that the sequence of the words in the name of the Serbian Orthodox Church reflects the sequence of the values prevailing in the SOC, i.e. Serbdom comes first, then Orthodoxy and, finally, if there is still some room, Christianity (as the faith shared with other, non-Orthodox churches).” (Tomani, Serbian Orthodox Church in War)

If any Orthodox Christian puts nation before Orthodoxy let him be anthema. That is the true stance of the Church and I would say that to the man's face.

Again you are looking for the splinter in your brother's eye and ignoring the plank in yours.

That may be the case, but there is no denying that the Orthodox church(es) with their lack of a univeral primate has rendered such themes non-surprising. Why is it surprising when a national church views itself better than another national church, when nations themselves do the same? 

Our "Universal primate" is Christ God. And the papist church having a "Vicar of Christ" are no less nationalistic. We need only look at the butchery that took place post western reformation. Again splinter/plank.

Wow. never ending in your arsenal of atrocities. The Catholic church always the persecuter eh. If you feel like church-bashing then would you be kind enough to open a new thread about it. Concolidates things; I'll be sure to reply.

The papist church isn't always the persecutor I just don't remember the last time the Orthodox Church went to sack Rome, or told all the papist people in a country they were a majority in that they weren't worth dirt. (See Transilvania)

Your church. You make a thread about it.

Do a little historical research first; also you may wish to delve into some of the issues surrounding their patriarch and the "Ecumenical Patriarch". We can speak of these after.

"Do a little historical research first" doesn't give me an answer. It just makes you look like you wanted to throw a pot shot but you obviously couldn't back it up as a point.

In all seriousness, do some research. Its rather a hard task to discuss with someone an issue that they believe is so absurdly non-existant. Start at the ground level; try googling "Nationalism and Orthodoxy", or something of the sort. Also try reading some of the Orthodox theologians' ideas about the issue.

Where did I say it was non existant?

Clap

Please don't make assumptions about my beliefs. I never said it was non existant. I know people who put their country before Orthodoxy and doing so is counter Orthodox. I faster counsider a Turk who is Orthodox to be my brother in Christ, then a Romanian who only calls himself Orthodoxy but his true religion is Romanism.

Can you please provide any canons of the undivided church that speaks of: "there would be only one Patriarch per nation of people."

It is certainly your right to use any language you wish for another(so long as it doesnt break with AE CofC), and I too view your church as being unorthodox, however I will refrain from using terms that may be seen as derogatory. Just different ways of approaching the same issue I presume.

Anything or anyone that claims to be of God, but is not, is an anti-Christ. I'm not going to betray God's name and his Church to something like this. It may be harsh, and you may not like to hear that but again I hope you can respect my honesty as I would respect anyone else's even if their opinion was so toward my Church.

First off, stating that "When the pope turned a blind eye to Hitler", only shows your biasness more plainly, if that is possible. However, it is an issue that has many viewpoints. I would strongly encourage you to open a discussion on the matter if you feel so strongly about it; in fact, I may just do that sometime in the future, time permitting.

Above all, you show again your misunderstanding about the Church. Allow me to quote my previous post:

"the Church has never claimed to be impeccable. The Church is a universal congregation made of people; sinful people."-arch.buff

And if you would wish to view your own church as less sinful, then this train of thought would be everyway surely to be condemned by mine.

I dont see how my post seemed "out of the blue". Nationalism is a reality in the Orthodox church(es), whether you would realize it or not. Its a shame we have to speak of only the negatives, but Im left with scarcely any time as it is just replying. Truly, there are many great aspects to Eastern Christianity; many indeed.

But the pope did turn a blind eye to Hitler and from a secular point of view it was the smart thing to do or else that may have been the end of the papist church right then and there.

I view the Orthodox Church as God tells us to view it. As the Body of Christ, perfect, and unconquorable by the gates of hell. I do not think the people are perfect however. Two seperate issues.

It was out of the blue because you suddenly started discussing nationalism in the Serbian Orthodox Church. Is there? Yes, there is nationalism in every religion. Some quak out there right now is sitting in Romania thinking "oh my the Romanian orthodox Church is the best!" But you know what? That man is an idiot. What you are doing is taking that one idiot and portraying it as a main trend of thought and opinion in the Orthodox Church.

You could have at least mentioned the nationalism in Croatia if you were going to mention Serbia. How in Croatia the plan was to forcefully convert one third of the Serbs, displace one third of the Serbs and liquidate the rest one third of the Serbs. Mean while you had papist clergy sawing off heads of "the unfaithful" in mass murdering scenes taken out of a horror movie directed by Tarantino. And you are going to post to me about how some Serb said "Serbdom above Orthodoxy" oh no the criminal!

Yes, you are humbled by your friends speech; now only if you would employ his words.

Abundant blessings,

arch.buff

You're still not getting it I guess.
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2008 at 22:50
Originally posted by Akolouthos

I really don't think you took the whole of the point (which is just as likely a result of my general lack of clarity, as it may be a result of any confusion on your part), and I'm afraid that I don't have the energy to go over it in any great depth. Suffice it to say that I don't think that Carpathian was the only one who was being unfair in this discussion, and I don't really see the value in a pundit talk-show style prolonged tu quoque conversation, especially on a topic that is so complex. I think the misunderstanding might concern the nature of my distinction between an apologist and a historian. Ah well; you two may have whatever conversation you wish. It's a free forum, after all. Wink

God bless, arch.buff and Carpathian Wolf.

-Akolouthos

Feel no need in responding to this post; it interests me not to engage in a conversation over the nature of another conversation. Still, I feel the need to clarify a bit.

While you have discerned a sense of 'you too'-type speech in my example of Theodora, I did not direct it in that sense; nevertheless, you have taken it in that light.
Allow me to clarify:

Earlier I stated:

"Did you even read the Wiki article you posted? I also didnt find where it stated that it was backed by the Pope? Even if it had been, the Church has never claimed to be impeccable. The Church is a universal congregation made of people; sinful people. Whether you realise it or not, Im sure you would not want me bringing up any atrocities of the Patriarch of Constantinople; nor would I. It is not my prerogative to make this thread a flame war. It has become painfully apparent that you have set out on a hopeless journey to defend every facet of Orthodoxy, something you will not, without a doubt, find me doing for the Catholic church. If you have done as I have requested in many initial paragraph, you will see that I have acknowledged that even nationalism itself is not foreign to the Catholich church." -arch.buff

To which you replied:

"Well, the Roman Church did beatify Stepinac.

While you may not have "pointed the finger", you did untenably single out Orthodoxy in general, and the Serbian Church in particular. The problem is, you have confused ethnophiletism with nationalism, when they are two separate issues, and you have implied that the Orthodox Church is more susceptible to both because of its nature. If you research the situation, however, you will find that the two problems are influenced more by geography than they are by ecclesiology, and you will also find that the Roman Church faces the same problems in the same regions. Ethnophiletism is not the issue at all in the case we are discussing; that is an issue that affects the Church internally, through the relation between the hierarchs, and has been repeatedly condemned. The bottom line is, because of the theological tension that runs through Eastern Europe -- a tension which has been exacerbated, both deliberately and accidentally, by the Roman Church over the course of the past several centuries -- religious violence is not uncommon, and the Roman Church in this region is no less guilty. The case of the Uniates and the Orthodox in Eastern Europe is an example of religious conflict, but in the Balkans we are dealing with something separate still: nationalism, and the enthronement of racial ideology over faith. The case of Stepinac, and much of the violence in the Balkans is influenced more by culture than by religious ideology; religious ideology is used -- both by Catholics and Orthodox nationalists -- as an unjust justification for that violence."

-Akolouthos

I took your introduction(which I have put in bold) as implying somehow that the Catholic church condoned the violent actions that occured in that region precisely because Stepinac was beatified. I dont understand how I could have read it in any other light. This is exactly why I used the example of Theodora. She is a saint in the Eastern churches, but are the Easterns implied to have Monophysite tendencies because she has canonized Theodora? No, or at least I dont believe so. You may not like the parallel that I had provided but I dont see how you can discern any playground-type 'you too' recess banter out of it. Which is exactly what I have tried to avoid, regardless, in my opinion, of the open-invitation to do so by some.

God bless,

arch.buff

Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2008 at 23:41
arch.buff,

I did a bit of looking over the discussion, and I noticed a few troubling things. Perhaps by examining them I might help you to better understand the distinction between a historian and an apologist that I am trying to draw. The apologist feigns ignorance, or asks questions for which he feels he already has an answer in order to illustrate a point. The historian seeks to examine the record and draw conclusions from it. The apologist seeks to hold conclusions and then fit the record to them. Bottom line: the apologist is a sophist, while the historian is a scholar.

Some of the most disturbing excerpts which I have commented on below are disturbing precisely because I know that you are familiar with several of the Orthodox responses. You should have either addressed them directly or, if you did not wish to make specific reference to them, refined your argument in a way that addresses them. If we begin from the basic point-counterpoint dialectic so common among apologists of all faiths, we seldom achieve much. It makes for a rousing debate, but it generally doesn't get us anywhere.

And I admire and praise the Easterns for safeguarding their faith against the Turks, it is one of the noblest qualities that the Easterns have, in my opinion. However, it is this vulnerable position that would characterize their history for quite some time. You like to throw around accusations of atrocities without knowing the particulars. The Pope condemned the sacking of Constantinople and ex-communicated all those taking part; he gave instructions that Constantinople was not to be disturbed. Their constant vulnerable and dangerous situation would prompt many Orthodox to try and explain away the reunion councils in which for a brief time they really turned to their Orthodox Catholic roots.

While Innocent did indeed condemn the Crusade outwardly, he and his successors were more than willing to profit from it, and to extend the oppression of the Frankokratia as long as they were able to do so. Also, you and I have discussed the so-called reunion councils before, and you are aware of our perspective. Furthermore, if you are familiar with the history of the period, you will know that there was never a majority of any demographic or political group in the Orthodox world that supported the reunion councils outside of the royal family.

That may be the case, but there is no denying that the Orthodox church(es) with their lack of a univeral primate has rendered such themes non-surprising. Why is it surprising when a national church views itself better than another national church, when nations themselves do the same? 

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here, as I don't believe we have ever thoroughly discussed it, and I wouldn't expect you to be familiar with every aspect of Orthodox ecclesiology. I would respond to this simple criticism in several ways:

Item
That the Apostles knew no universal primacy in the Roman sense of the term, which is born out in the book of Acts.

Item
That the early fathers were ignorant of any universal jurisdictional primacy in the Roman sense, which does not ever appear in anything close to a recognizable form until the reign of Damasus in the late fourth century.

Item
The first two criticisms are all that is really necessary to dispense with the notion, but there is one more that the modern Orthodox might offer. That the universal jurisdictional primacy adopted by the Roman Church, while it may outwardly appear more practical, led to the doctrinal excesses of the nineteenth century, which represented a major departure from earlier tradition (even in the West).

Do a little historical research first; also you may wish to delve into some of the issues surrounding their patriarch and the "Ecumenical Patriarch". We can speak of these after.

I think you might want to do a bit of research on the issues surrounding the Ecumenical Patriarchate as well, especially if you are using quotation marks to diminish the title which he has born for centuries. As for the situation between Constantinople and Russia, it is an ongoing concern. The two met recently, and the tone was conciliatory. You will note that they remain in communion with each other.

Originally posted by Carpathian Wolf

If you read history you would know that in the canons of the church, before rome was its own church, it stated that there would be only one Patriarch per nation of people.
Can you please provide any canons of the undivided church that speaks of: "there would be only one Patriarch per nation of people."

Here the discussion on both sides misses the point entirely. As attested to by the majority of historians who have studied the topic, as well as the canons, the principle of territorial accomodation was the basis for the jurisdictional organization of the early church. And I am not aware of any canons that state what you both have noted.

First off, stating that "When the pope turned a blind eye to Hitler", only shows your biasness more plainly, if that is possible. However, it is an issue that has many viewpoints. I would strongly encourage you to open a discussion on the matter if you feel so strongly about it; in fact, I may just do that sometime in the future, time permitting.

Above all, you show again your misunderstanding about the Church. Allow me to quote my previous post:

"the Church has never claimed to be impeccable. The Church is a universal congregation made of people; sinful people."-arch.buff

And if you would wish to view your own church as less sinful, then this train of thought would be everyway surely to be condemned by mine.

If you go back and review the thread, you will note that you were the first to lob an accusation. Thus, whether that accusation is just or not, you cannot claim to be the aggrieved party. Once again, launching an attack while claiming to be on the defensive is yet another tactic used by apologists to cloud the waters. 

That said, the whole myth of Hitler's pope is untenable. Pius did what he needed to do to survive, while trying to help as many people as he could. Really, the situation is not all that different from what happened on the Holy Mountain. Were the holy monks of Athos to be called Hitler's monks for petitioning the Nazis to leave them alone while they took in refugees?

I took your introduction(which I have put in bold) as implying somehow that the Catholic church condoned the violent actions that occured in that region precisely because Stepinac was beatified. I dont understand how I could have read it in any other light. This is exactly why I used the example of Theodora. She is a saint in the Eastern churches, but are the Easterns implied to have Monophysite tendencies because she has canonized Theodora? No, or at least I dont believe so. You may not like the parallel that I had provided but I dont see how you can discern any playground-type 'you too' recess banter out of it. Which is exactly what I have tried to avoid, regardless, in my opinion, of the open-invitation to do so by some.

I still don't think I've made myself as clear as I should have. I wouldn't mind the "you too" stuff as much if a) you hadn't been the first to jump into the thread and make an accusation, and b) you hadn't then immediately tried to secure for yourself the coveted "aggrieved" label. A theological dialogue constantly concerned with rhetorical gambits* is not a proper theological dialogue at all. Having gone through a period when I let my pride and condescension get the better of my objectivity,  and where I embraced the temptingly simplistic sophistry of the apologist, I would spare you the same.

-Akolouthos

*Well, they can be fun as long as they are deliberately trivial, but when they become a crucial part of a conversation, the discussion loses something.

Edited by Akolouthos - 12-Sep-2008 at 23:52
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2008 at 23:49
The accusations about Saint Theodora seem to come almost completely from Procopius. Nothing more then a propagandist. If you wish to follow his writings and place yourself in the seat of judgement of saint Theodora then that truley says something. It seems you are just interested in making a "you too" comment rather then discussing Saint Theodora which you seem to have no interest in actually studying.

As for the comment concerning Constantinople and Russia, this is typical western rhetoric. Any time there is a discussion between the jurisdictions the west both papist and protestant like to jump up in the air and say "look at them it's all falling apart!" Simply said the way the Orthodox Church is put together on an organizational level ensures its survival. Constantinople and Russia disagreeing about some minor non theological things doesn't seek to ruin the whole Church by comparisant to say the bone jarring situation that was Vatican II in the west.

But please go on and make whatever point you wanted to make. I remain curious and always interested in learning.
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2008 at 00:17
I was last on on Saturday and wished to deliver my response then but about three-quarters through with my rather long response I felt it just to delete some quotes that were not as necessary as others to simplify the whole response; I accidently deleted the entire post. Frustration and time would not allow me to continue.

First off, let me state that I am glad you have made emphasis of the accusations that have been prevalent in this thread; its a shame, however, that you were unable to discern the differences in nature of the accusations. Maybe it is easier for a person such as myself to more easily make these distinctions because, as you claim, I have tried to covet for myself the "aggrieved party" label. Nevertheless, these distinctions should not appear to be allusive to the objective eye; pity it has.

arch.buff,

I did a bit of looking over the discussion, and I noticed a few troubling things. Perhaps by examining them I might help you to better understand the distinction between a historian and an apologist that I am trying to draw. The apologist feigns ignorance, or asks questions for which he feels he already has an answer in order to illustrate a point. The historian seeks to examine the record and draw conclusions from it. The apologist seeks to hold conclusions and then fit the record to them. Bottom line: the apologist is a sophist, while the historian is a scholar.

Some of the most disturbing excerpts which I have commented on below are disturbing precisely because I know that you are familiar with several of the Orthodox responses. You should have either addressed them directly or, if you did not wish to make specific reference to them, refined your argument in a way that addresses them. If we begin from the basic point-counterpoint dialectic so common among apologists of all faiths, we seldom achieve much. It makes for a rousing debate, but it generally doesn't get us anywhere.

Towards nationalism? I am not familiar with the Orthodox response; I am not so sure there is a response here. The notion of parcelling out the churches to conform to national and political lines is certainly something of a situation that would beg a quarrelsome arrangment.

While Innocent did indeed condemn the Crusade outwardly, he and his successors were more than willing to profit from it, and to extend the oppression of the Frankokratia as long as they were able to do so. Also, you and I have discussed the so-called reunion councils before, and you are aware of our perspective. Furthermore, if you are familiar with the history of the period, you will know that there was never a majority of any demographic or political group in the Orthodox world that supported the reunion councils outside of the royal family.

Allow me here to provide an example in the different nature of both accusations and responses in this specific thread.

It would be easy for me to say: "The Easterns were ruthless in their massacre of 1182. Byzantines were relentless in their onslaught and cut out the children inside their mothers womb, and spared neither women nor children in their bloodbath!"

Such is the kind of response that have been heard in this thread. No theological or historical ties whatsoever. What good does this do for our discussion? Nevertheless, it is a historical event that directly comes into play when looking over Constantinople and 1204; so it must be addressed. The scholar Dr. Warren Carroll will be referenced:

"Horrible and utterly indefensible as the sack was, it should in justice be remembered that it was not totally unprovoked; more than once the Greeks of Constantinople had treated the Latins there as they were now being treated...Historians who was eloquent and indigant-with considerable reason- about the sack of Constantinople...rarely if ever mention the massacre of Westerners in Constantinople in 1182... a nightmarish massacre of thousands in which the slaughterersspared neither women nor children, neither old nor sick, neither priest nor monk. Cardinal John, the Pope's represenative, was beheaded and his head was dragged through the streets at the tail of a dog; children were cut out of their mother;s womb; bodies of dead Westerners were exhumed and abused; some 4,000 who escaped death were sold into slavery to the Turks." (Carroll, The Glory of Christendom)

I do not cite such things as to provide a "you too" response, as you and Carpathian have suggested, but rather to offer the example of historical conditioning associated with such attrocities as the sack of 1204. It is easy to isolate an incident and condemn it on its merits and actions alone, but it would prove to be a far one-sided analysis. 

The Orthodox Bishop Kallistos Ware provides an objective summary:

Each must look back at the past with sorrow and repentance. Both sides must in honesty acknowledge tht they could and should have done more ot prevent the schism. Both sides were guilty of mistakes on the human level. Orthodox, for example, must blame themselves for the pride and contempt with which during the Byzantine period they regarded the west; they must blame themselves for incidents such as the riot of 1182, when many Latin residents at Constantinople were massacred bny the Byzantine populace. (Ware, The Orthodox Church)

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here, as I don't believe we have ever thoroughly discussed it, and I wouldn't expect you to be familiar with every aspect of Orthodox ecclesiology. I would respond to this simple criticism in several ways:

Item
That the Apostles knew no universal primacy in the Roman sense of the term, which is born out in the book of Acts.

Here I believe you have forgotten that fact that the papacy is a development. To try and compare the church of the Apostolic age to that of today would be all to bold. On many different occasions Peter's leadership among the others is borne out in the book of Acts.

Item
That the early fathers were ignorant of any universal jurisdictional primacy in the Roman sense, which does not ever appear in anything close to a recognizable form until the reign of Damasus in the late fourth century.

To make such a claim only exposes your bias. I would have considered it more proper if you would at least acknowledge the historical record and from there provide examples how the Bishop of Rome's actions had ended in failure, for which you may have a good case. Perhaps you would like to carry this deeper when you have responded in the Primacy thread. Nevertheless, I will provide one example of the many that were to occur before Damasus. Leaving out individual witnesses, I would suggest Pope Victor thinks himself all too adequate in excommunicating the churches in Asia Minor. Of course this is in regard to the disagreement of the date of Easter. First off it should be noted that Victor has requested of the church universal to hold councils and relate their conclusions:

"He then writes of all the bishops who were present with him and thought as he did. His words are as follows: I could mention the bishops who were present, whom I summoned at your desire; whose names, should I write them, would constitute a great multitude. And they, beholding my littleness, gave their consent to the letter, knowing that I did not bear my gray hairs in vain, but had always governed my life by the Lord Jesus." (Eusebius, Church History Book V Ch. 24) -emphasis mine-

After they had reported that would hold to the Quartodecimanian Victor excommunicated them. Irenaeus responds to Victor:

"But this did not please all the bishops. And they besought him to consider the things of peace, and of neighborly unity and love. Words of theirs are extant, sharply rebuking Victor. Among them was Irenaeus, who, sending letters in the name of the brethren in Gaul over whom he presided, maintained that the mystery of the resurrection of the Lord should be observed only on the Lord's day. He fittingly admonishes Victor that he should not cut off whole churches of God which observed the tradition of an ancient custom" (Eusebius, C.H. Bk. V Ch. 24)

What a dangerous thing to excommunicate whole churches, and had this action not been even accesible to the Bishop of Rome we should most likely find speech condemning it, but we are left wanting. Irenaeus encourages Victor to "not cut off whole churches of God", he does not state that he knows of no ridiculous action that can even be attempted on the part of Victor. The church is quick to condemn innovations, and in particular those that stem form arrogance(See Clement's letter to the Corinthians). Had this been a case of said arrogance, we can be sure there would be words condemning even the notion.

Also what is of note is Polycrates' reference to Acts 5:29: "For those greater than I have said 'We ought to obey God rather than man.'" There is a strong suggestion that Polycrates is making a parallel here of Victor to Jewish High Priest when Peter and the apostles were questioned before the entire Sanhedren.

Item
The first two criticisms are all that is really necessary to dispense with the notion, but there is one more that the modern Orthodox might offer. That the universal jurisdictional primacy adopted by the Roman Church, while it may outwardly appear more practical, led to the doctrinal excesses of the nineteenth century, which represented a major departure from earlier tradition (even in the West).

The Catholic church makes a emphasis on Universal ecclesiology, and the Orthodox Nicholas Afanassieff notes:

'We are indeed witnessing the birth of a new age in the Catholic Church- the birth of a "universo-pontifical" ecclsiology. This new type of ecclesiology is the normal development of universal ecclesiology to its absolute form: on the oher hand, it can be interpreted as a sort of return to traditional eccesiology, though the tradition has undergone much change and some distortion. The great primitive ecclesiastical maxim was that in the Church there must be one bishop only. Ignatius of Antioch gave special importance to the formula."One God, one Christ, one faith, one altar, and one bishop." We shall see presently that Ignatius, in writing these words, had in mind the local church, and that his ecclesiological context was not at all the same as the Universal ecclesiology. If the Universal Church is a sole body and is we accept Igantius' statement, we cannot avoid coming to the conclusion that in the Universal Church there must be one single bishop, anfd that according to Catholic doctrine he can be no other than the Bishop of Rome. In the capacity of being bishop of the entire Universal Church he takes the place of th other bishops. In consequence, the others become mere administrative instruments, used by the Pope for governing the innumerbale parishes led by presbyters. It is still too soon to tell if Rome is likely to sponsor this new ecclesiology, which is sturidly opposed in Catholic theological circles.' (Meyendorff, The Primacy of Peter)

You will note here that Afanassieff is making note of what he thinks of the directon that Catholic ecclesiology is turning, and that notion in the church is not sponsored by Catholic theologians nor the church. Nevertheless, this ecclesiology in itself can be traced back to tradition. This is an extreme example, that is not sponsored by the Church but it serves as a good example to note that what you may view as "departure of tradition" by simply examing the historical record, is an overall far too simplistic idea that bears no fruits. 

I think you might want to do a bit of research on the issues surrounding the Ecumenical Patriarchate as well, especially if you are using quotation marks to diminish the title which he has born for centuries. As for the situation between Constantinople and Russia, it is an ongoing concern. The two met recently, and the tone was conciliatory. You will note that they remain in communion with each other.

Heres my problem with the moniker, which is an official title of the patriarch of Constantinople. It is an overall confusing title. Here is a good case in point in how the language barrier between east and west can bear itself out to the forefront. Pope Gregory thought it all too bold of a title when the then patriarch John the Faster wrote to him continually stating himself as the Ecumenical patriarch. It is true that also other patriarchs were addressed in Greek oikoymenikos patriarches; the patriarch of Alexandria being so called by one of his bishops at the Robber-synod of 449. It is also true that others in the church had also addressed the patriarch as such but the patriarch officially adopted the label in his letter to Gregory, in which he states a number of time as him being the Ecumenical patriarch. The Latin translation of 'Universal Patriarch' is far more bold then the more modest Greek rendering, and this is precisley what Gregory disgreed with: "if one patriarch is called universal the title is thereby taken from the others" He also makes not found inhis Epistles: "who doubts that the Church of Constantinople is subject to the Apostolic See?"
Of course this whole situation depends on how the east interpreted ecumenical in the title, as we have previously discussed the different interpretations of the word. As far as the western interpretation, which is admittedly far more bold, Gregory expressly disclaims the name or 'universal' for any bishop including himself in the sense that it would reduce all other bishops:
"He understood it as an exclusion of all the others so that he who calls himself oecumenic, that is universal, thinks all other patriarchs and bishops to be private persons and himself the only pastor in the inhabited earth" (Horace Giustiniani at the Council of Florence)  

Such is not Catholic theology, Diocesan bishops have ordinary, not delegate, jurisdiction; they receive their authority immediately from Christ. From this time on Gregory assumed the title that has been attached to his successors ever since- Servants to the servants of God.

The title Ecumenical directly relates to the disagreements between Moscow and Constantinople. From my understanding Moscow and Constantinople are in debate over whether Constantinople has the right to hear appeals from the enitre church(ecumenical) or just in its immediate patriarchate.

If you read history you would know that in the canons of the church, before rome was its own church, it stated that there would be only one Patriarch per nation of people.

Here the discussion on both sides misses the point entirely. As attested to by the majority of historians who have studied the topic, as well as the canons, the principle of territorial accomodation was the basis for the jurisdictional organization of the early church. And I am not aware of any canons that state what you both have noted.

I think you may be a little confused. Carpathian stated that there was a canon that specifically stated: "there would be only one Patriarch per nation of people". Knowing of no canon or notion in the undivided church I asked for a specific canon; which he has not, reason being- there is no such canon. At least there is no canon in the Catholic church, I was asssuming he was refering to the 6th of Nicea but I wasnt sure. I also could not be sure if such a canon was ever developed in the east post-schism. So my asking for a specific canon was only to provide some clarity thereof.  

If you go back and review the thread, you will note that you were the first to lob an accusation. Thus, whether that accusation is just or not, you cannot claim to be the aggrieved party. Once again, launching an attack while claiming to be on the defensive is yet another tactic used by apologists to cloud the waters. 

That said, the whole myth of Hitler's pope is untenable. Pius did what he needed to do to survive, while trying to help as many people as he could. Really, the situation is not all that different from what happened on the Holy Mountain. Were the holy monks of Athos to be called Hitler's monks for petitioning the Nazis to leave them alone while they took in refugees?

I still don't think I've made myself as clear as I should have. I wouldn't mind the "you too" stuff as much if a) you hadn't been the first to jump into the thread and make an accusation, and b) you hadn't then immediately tried to secure for yourself the coveted "aggrieved" label. A theological dialogue constantly concerned with rhetorical gambits* is not a proper theological dialogue at all. 

As I stated earlier, I am glad you have addressed the accusations in this thread; regretably your simplistic overall outlook has stopped there. Heres the difference in the nature of the accuastions. I assume when you state "you were the first to lob an accusation" you are refering to my post regarding the prevalence of nationalism in the Orthodox church and more specifically the Serbian Church, for which I have provided two sources that would attest to the same. This 'accusation' can be directly responded to, which it has yet to be, in a number of ways mainly because it has historical and theological implications. In other words, to the objective eye it is a valid point. The ideological values of Nikolay Velimirovich have never been addressed or condemned by any of the Eastern churches to my knowledge. He is also canonized as a saint by the Easterns.
Nicholas Afanassieff notes:

"the problem is to be solved to satisfy ourselves and Orthodox theology. The solution of the problem is urgent, since Orthodox theology has not yet built up any systematic doctrine of church government. And although we have a doctrine concerning Ecumenical councils as organs of governmant in the Church, we shall see presently that our doctrine is not enough to refute the Catholic doctrine of primacy." (Meyendorff, Primacy of Peter)

Now, on the other hand, I will provide some of the accusations that were drawn against the Catholic church that are to be found in this thread:

If you want to point a finger at adding church and nationalism together you don't need to look any further then the Ustashe regime of Croatia where clergy sawed Orthodox children alive, and spread their blood over others. This action was directly backed and allowed by the pope himself.- Carpathian Wolf

Here's the problem with what i see in the papacy simply from a secular point of view. When your pope makes a mistake, the whole church is in error. When the pope turned a blind eye to Hitler, that brought the whole papal church into error.- Carpathian Wolf

Is there any theological foundations in any of this? Seems more to me to say: Your church did a lot of sinful things. As if there is a church on earth that is innocent in any regard. If you have reviewed the thread as you have stated, then you should have noted that I have never attempted to slander the Eastern church for the attrocities that accompany their history, the only time I refer to them are in conjunction with histrocial analysis (refer to 1182 in the beginning of this post). For instance, one could have drawn a parallel in the Western church to the sexual scandals that recently surrounded the clergy and how those unfortunate instances were lead in direct conjunction with the western tradition of clerical celibacy. That justified paralled would have been fair. But to simply state -Your church has done a lot of bad stuff- is, in my opinion, more derogatory and useless then anything else. I would have assumed you could make such a distinction in the nature of the accusation in this thread, however given our topic of discussion it comes as no surprise.

Having gone through a period when I let my pride and condescension get the better of my objectivity,  and where I embraced the temptingly simplistic sophistry of the apologist, I would spare you the same.

-Akolouthos

*Well, they can be fun as long as they are deliberately trivial, but when they become a crucial part of a conversation, the discussion loses something.

You may wish to view all of these undesireable qualities- viz. objectivity- long in the rear view mirror; however, in leu of your latest post, it should not be rendered indefensible if some were to come to the conclusion of the contrary. The main goal of your last response may have been to highlight certain bias' prevalent in this discussion, however it appears you have not forseen that in so doing you have inadvertently highlighted your own. I can only asssume that you will interpret this post and label it a "you too" response. The only thing I can tell you is if are to continue employing such a shallow reading of our discussion you will only be engaging in a great disservice to yourself. 

Edited by arch.buff - 21-Sep-2008 at 00:28
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2008 at 05:46

I was last on on Saturday and wished to deliver my response then but about three-quarters through with my rather long response I felt it just to delete some quotes that were not as necessary as others to simplify the whole response; I accidently deleted the entire post. Frustration and time would not allow me to continue.

Having had this very thing happen to me on several occassions, I do sympathize. It is always quite the bother. My responses below will be brief.

First off, let me state that I am glad you have made emphasis of the accusations that have been prevalent in this thread; its a shame, however, that you were unable to discern the differences in nature of the accusations. Maybe it is easier for a person such as myself to more easily make these distinctions because, as you claim, I have tried to covet for myself the "aggrieved party" label. Nevertheless, these distinctions should not appear to be allusive to the objective eye; pity it has.

Aye, it is a pity. I think, if you review the thread, you will find that I have tried to be as objective as possible. If you feel I have acted otherwise, I am saddened.

Towards nationalism? I am not familiar with the Orthodox response; I am not so sure there is a response here. The notion of parcelling out the churches to conform to national and political lines is certainly something of a situation that would beg a quarrelsome arrangment.

Aye, it is and always has been somewhat quarrelsome, although this was exacerbated by the rise of nationalism in the late nineteenth century. My point was that you are familiar with the principle of territorial accomodation, through our other discussion, and as you have demonstrated later in your most recent post.

It would be easy for me to say: "The Easterns were ruthless in their massacre of 1182. Byzantines were relentless in their onslaught and cut out the children inside their mothers womb, and spared neither women nor children in their bloodbath!"

Such is the kind of response that have been heard in this thread. No theological or historical ties whatsoever. What good does this do for our discussion? Nevertheless, it is a historical event that directly comes into play when looking over Constantinople and 1204; so it must be addressed. The scholar Dr. Warren Carroll will be referenced:

"Horrible and utterly indefensible as the sack was, it should in justice be remembered that it was not totally unprovoked; more than once the Greeks of Constantinople had treated the Latins there as they were now being treated...Historians who was eloquent and indigant-with considerable reason- about the sack of Constantinople...rarely if ever mention the massacre of Westerners in Constantinople in 1182... a nightmarish massacre of thousands in which the slaughterersspared neither women nor children, neither old nor sick, neither priest nor monk. Cardinal John, the Pope's represenative, was beheaded and his head was dragged through the streets at the tail of a dog; children were cut out of their mother;s womb; bodies of dead Westerners were exhumed and abused; some 4,000 who escaped death were sold into slavery to the Turks." (Carroll, The Glory of Christendom)

I do not cite such things as to provide a "you too" response, as you and Carpathian have suggested, but rather to offer the example of historical conditioning associated with such attrocities as the sack of 1204. It is easy to isolate an incident and condemn it on its merits and actions alone, but it would prove to be a far one-sided analysis. 

The Orthodox Bishop Kallistos Ware provides an objective summary:

Each must look back at the past with sorrow and repentance. Both sides must in honesty acknowledge tht they could and should have done more ot prevent the schism. Both sides were guilty of mistakes on the human level. Orthodox, for example, must blame themselves for the pride and contempt with which during the Byzantine period they regarded the west; they must blame themselves for incidents such as the riot of 1182, when many Latin residents at Constantinople were massacred bny the Byzantine populace. (Ware, The Orthodox Church) 

To characterize the crisis of 1204 as direct reaction to the massacre at Constantinople is a historical overstatement. It was a direct result of the machinations of the Venetians, the Byzantine civil war, and the inability/unwillingness of a particular Byzantine faction to pay the Crusaders. There had indeed been events on both sides leading up to this point, but we seek to interpret events in their direct historical context, while remaining aware of those things that led to that context. It would be easy to become an apologist for any tyrannical group or barbarous ideology if the reasoning used above were carried through consistently.

Here I believe you have forgotten that fact that the papacy is a development. To try and compare the church of the Apostolic age to that of today would be all to bold. On many different occasions Peter's leadership among the others is borne out in the book of Acts.

You are correct: Peter's leadership among the others is borne out by the Book of Acts. The contention of the Orthodox is that the popes do not lead as one among the others, and simply restating the initial point fails to address this.

To make such a claim only exposes your bias. I would have considered it more proper if you would at least acknowledge the historical record and from there provide examples how the Bishop of Rome's actions had ended in failure, for which you may have a good case. Perhaps you would like to carry this deeper when you have responded in the Primacy thread. Nevertheless, I will provide one example of the many that were to occur before Damasus. Leaving out individual witnesses, I would suggest Pope Victor thinks himself all too adequate in excommunicating the churches in Asia Minor. Of course this is in regard to the disagreement of the date of Easter. First off it should be noted that Victor has requested of the church universal to hold councils and relate their conclusions:

"He then writes of all the bishops who were present with him and thought as he did. His words are as follows: I could mention the bishops who were present, whom I summoned at your desire; whose names, should I write them, would constitute a great multitude. And they, beholding my littleness, gave their consent to the letter, knowing that I did not bear my gray hairs in vain, but had always governed my life by the Lord Jesus." (Eusebius, Church History Book V Ch. 24) -emphasis mine-

After they had reported that would hold to the Quartodecimanian Victor excommunicated them. Irenaeus responds to Victor:

"But this did not please all the bishops. And they besought him to consider the things of peace, and of neighborly unity and love. Words of theirs are extant, sharply rebuking Victor. Among them was Irenaeus, who, sending letters in the name of the brethren in Gaul over whom he presided, maintained that the mystery of the resurrection of the Lord should be observed only on the Lord's day. He fittingly admonishes Victor that he should not cut off whole churches of God which observed the tradition of an ancient custom" (Eusebius, C.H. Bk. V Ch. 24)

What a dangerous thing to excommunicate whole churches, and had this action not been even accesible to the Bishop of Rome we should most likely find speech condemning it, but we are left wanting. Irenaeus encourages Victor to "not cut off whole churches of God", he does not state that he knows of no ridiculous action that can even be attempted on the part of Victor. The church is quick to condemn innovations, and in particular those that stem form arrogance(See Clement's letter to the Corinthians). Had this been a case of said arrogance, we can be sure there would be words condemning even the notion.

Also what is of note is Polycrates' reference to Acts 5:29: "For those greater than I have said 'We ought to obey God rather than man.'" There is a strong suggestion that Polycrates is making a parallel here of Victor to Jewish High Priest when Peter and the apostles were questioned before the entire Sanhedren.

My bias is as it is, though I do try to be aware of it, whatever you may think of me. I think it may profit you to re-read the text quoted above and imagine, for a moment, that you are reading it for the first time and analyzing it as a non-Catholic historian, or, if Chesterton will permit me to borrow upon an illustration, a Buddhist or Confucian historian. Does Irenaeus' usage of the phrase "cut off whole Churches of God" mean that Victor's actions would have any different result than the excommunication of any other bishop? How long did the issue of the dating of Pascha take to resolve? What role did some of the Apostolic fathers play in the dispute? Where did the methods of dating Pascha come from? I think a study of this sort would be much more profitable than a simple attempt at proof-texting.

Heres my problem with the moniker, which is an official title of the patriarch of Constantinople. It is an overall confusing title. Here is a good case in point in how the language barrier between east and west can bear itself out to the forefront. Pope Gregory thought it all too bold of a title when the then patriarch John the Faster wrote to him continually stating himself as the Ecumenical patriarch. It is true that also other patriarchs were addressed in Greek oikoymenikos patriarches; the patriarch of Alexandria being so called by one of his bishops at the Robber-synod of 449. It is also true that others in the church had also addressed the patriarch as such but the patriarch officially adopted the label in his letter to Gregory, in which he states a number of time as him being the Ecumenical patriarch. The Latin translation of 'Universal Patriarch' is far more bold then the more modest Greek rendering, and this is precisley what Gregory disgreed with: "if one patriarch is called universal the title is thereby taken from the others" He also makes not found inhis Epistles: "who doubts that the Church of Constantinople is subject to the Apostolic See?"
Of course this whole situation depends on how the east interpreted ecumenical in the title, as we have previously discussed the different interpretations of the word. As far as the western interpretation, which is admittedly far more bold, Gregory expressly disclaims the name or 'universal' for any bishop including himself in the sense that it would reduce all other bishops:
"He understood it as an exclusion of all the others so that he who calls himself oecumenic, that is universal, thinks all other patriarchs and bishops to be private persons and himself the only pastor in the inhabited earth" (Horace Giustiniani at the Council of Florence)  

Such is not Catholic theology, Diocesan bishops have ordinary, not delegate, jurisdiction; they receive their authority immediately from Christ. From this time on Gregory assumed the title that has been attached to his successors ever since- Servants to the servants of God.

The title Ecumenical directly relates to the disagreements between Moscow and Constantinople. From my understanding Moscow and Constantinople are in debate over whether Constantinople has the right to hear appeals from the enitre church(ecumenical) or just in its immediate patriarchate.

If you study the ancient Church, you will find that each of the Patriarchs bore many titles, and that these grew in number over the years. As Ware notes, for example, the Patriarch of Alexandria is referred to as "Judge of the Universe", and titles such as these are to be interpreted only within the tradition of the Church. Gregory was quite right to appeal to the rights of bishops in this matter, and there was indeed a danger that the title "Ecumenical" would be interpreted in a maximalist sense -- as, indeed, it was in the later Medieval period, and most egregiously by Anna Comnena. He erred only insofar as he followed his predecessors in the gradual expansion of a sense of jurisdictional primacy inherent in the Roman see.

To answer your question regarding the matter of appeals, when the canon was set down by the fathers, it referred to the orbis Romanus, but only as a last result. Rome had been granted this right in 343.

I think you may be a little confused. Carpathian stated that there was a canon that specifically stated: "there would be only one Patriarch per nation of people". Knowing of no canon or notion in the undivided church I asked for a specific canon; which he has not, reason being- there is no such canon. At least there is no canon in the Catholic church, I was asssuming he was refering to the 6th of Nicea but I wasnt sure. I also could not be sure if such a canon was ever developed in the east post-schism. So my asking for a specific canon was only to provide some clarity thereof.  

I think you might be a bit quick to attribute criticism to me. Here I was not only criticizing you; in fact, I was agreeing with you, while recognizing that this particular matter you two were discussing missed the point entirely, especially since you should, by now, be familiar with the principle of territorial accomodation.

As I stated earlier, I am glad you have addressed the accusations in this thread; regretably your simplistic overall outlook has stopped there. Heres the difference in the nature of the accuastions. I assume when you state "you were the first to lob an accusation" you are refering to my post regarding the prevalence of nationalism in the Orthodox church and more specifically the Serbian Church, for which I have provided two sources that would attest to the same. This 'accusation' can be directly responded to, which it has yet to be, in a number of ways mainly because it has historical and theological implications. In other words, to the objective eye it is a valid point. The ideological values of Nikolay Velimirovich have never been addressed or condemned by any of the Eastern churches to my knowledge. He is also canonized as a saint by the Easterns.
Nicholas Afanassieff notes:

"the problem is to be solved to satisfy ourselves and Orthodox theology. The solution of the problem is urgent, since Orthodox theology has not yet built up any systematic doctrine of church government. And although we have a doctrine concerning Ecumenical councils as organs of governmant in the Church, we shall see presently that our doctrine is not enough to refute the Catholic doctrine of primacy." (Meyendorff, Primacy of Peter)

Now, on the other hand, I will provide some of the accusations that were drawn against the Catholic church that are to be found in this thread:

If you want to point a finger at adding church and nationalism together you don't need to look any further then the Ustashe regime of Croatia where clergy sawed Orthodox children alive, and spread their blood over others. This action was directly backed and allowed by the pope himself.- Carpathian Wolf

Here's the problem with what i see in the papacy simply from a secular point of view. When your pope makes a mistake, the whole church is in error. When the pope turned a blind eye to Hitler, that brought the whole papal church into error.- Carpathian Wolf

Is there any theological foundations in any of this? Seems more to me to say: Your church did a lot of sinful things. As if there is a church on earth that is innocent in any regard. If you have reviewed the thread as you have stated, then you should have noted that I have never attempted to slander the Eastern church for the attrocities that accompany their history, the only time I refer to them are in conjunction with histrocial analysis (refer to 1182 in the beginning of this post). For instance, one could have drawn a parallel in the Western church to the sexual scandals that recently surrounded the clergy and how those unfortunate instances were lead in direct conjunction with the western tradition of clerical celibacy. That justified paralled would have been fair. But to simply state -Your church has done a lot of bad stuff- is, in my opinion, more derogatory and useless then anything else. I would have assumed you could make such a distinction in the nature of the accusation in this thread, however given our topic of discussion it comes as no surprise.

I actually believe you are sincere in your assertion that you believe me to be unfair or simple in assigning to you the primary responsibility for beginning this sordid dialogue. This saddens me; I do not wish you to feel singled out or persecuted. Nor do I deny that every church is guilty of many offenses, and has been guilty of many more; indeed, it is a reality that is all too present. It is, however, my responsibility to note that you were the one who first singled out the Serbian Church for criticism in this thread. You did this in your response to Nestorian, in which you took a simple observation that he made about the Russia Georgia conflict, and interpreted it in such a way that it served as off-topic criticism. Everything that came after was simply a response. The reason conversations about crimes of various churches not related directly to matters of faith are unprofitable is that they always turn into these "you too" affairs; after all, the only way to show the unfairness of the first criticism is to highlight the fact that the person who made it is in no position to criticize. After the first accusation, the resulting fruitless conversation was inevitable, and we could continue it ad infinitum -- we have certainly continued it ad nauseam.

You may wish to view all of these undesireable qualities- viz. objectivity- long in the rear view mirror; however, in leu of your latest post, it should not be rendered indefensible if some were to come to the conclusion of the contrary. The main goal of your last response may have been to highlight certain bias' prevalent in this discussion, however it appears you have not forseen that in so doing you have inadvertently highlighted your own. I can only asssume that you will interpret this post and label it a "you too" response. The only thing I can tell you is if are to continue employing such a shallow reading of our discussion you will only be engaging in a great disservice to yourself. 

arch.buff, believe me when I say that I would not think to encourage you to be objective if I did not struggle with the concept myself; the reader may judge what measure of success, if any, each of us have gained in this particular thread. You may think me simple, you may think me unfair; you may think me blind, or biased,  or petty. You may think that I only encourage you to be objective in an effort to subvert you away from your faith, or as some sort of childish rhetorical gambit. I honestly don't care; I know my purposes, and my Lord knows my heart. No matter how base you think me, and in spite of the style and tenor of discourse you have chosen, you shall have my love, my concern, and my prayers; the one thing you will not have -- and it is with a sorrowfully heavy heart that I say this -- is my conversation, for nothing fruitful could come of it.

God bless, arch.buff; may He watch over and guide you in your journey.

-Akolouthos
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2008 at 06:21

I completely agree, this whole event certainly is saddening. It has been more than a pleasure conversating with you and I wish you all the blessings that can be afforded to one.

May the Lord keep you and all yours dear brother,

arch.buff
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2008 at 19:05

I don't excuse these actions but they were prompted by one man because of the actions of the Venetians beforehand. The reason 1204 happened had nothing to do with this as much as it was the Venetians wanting more money.

I think you may be a little confused. Carpathian stated that there was a canon that specifically stated: "there would be only one Patriarch per nation of people". Knowing of no canon or notion in the undivided church I asked for a specific canon; which he has not, reason being- there is no such canon. At least there is no canon in the Catholic church, I was asssuming he was refering to the 6th of Nicea but I wasnt sure. I also could not be sure if such a canon was ever developed in the east post-schism. So my asking for a specific canon was only to provide some clarity thereof. 

It would be helpful to you if you looked back over the post and click the link I provided.

You don't need doctrine to refute papal primacy. The proofs you even offered in this thread sounded a bit like "well if you squint your eyes this way, and turn your head a little, you'll see papal primacy is true!"

Confused

No thanks.

The post after yours refutes the rest well enough.

arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2008 at 19:52

It would be helpful to you if you looked back over the post and click the link I provided.

I did notice you provided a link for canons of the Church. And here I might be a little slow, certainly something that is not foreign to my person, but could I once again request from you the specific canon that states what you are asserting.

You don't need doctrine to refute papal primacy. The proofs you even offered in this thread sounded a bit like "well if you squint your eyes this way, and turn your head a little, you'll see papal primacy is true!"

Confused

No thanks.

The post after yours refutes the rest well enough.

It would appear the word -refute- is a relative word; subject to the interpreter.

God bless,

arch.buff
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2008 at 20:34
I don't recall it by number. Right now we must ask ourselves is it more of my interest or yours to find it. That is to say i'm a bit busy right now and can't help you search for it.
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2008 at 20:40

I don't recall it by number. Right now we must ask ourselves is it more of my interest or yours to find it. That is to say i'm a bit busy right now and can't help you search for it.

Oh, by no means dont put too much effort into it. I completely understand and sympathize with you; I suppose I will be rather busy for some time as well. I think I have a pretty good idea of the canon you may be speaking of, but I certainly wouldnt want to assume anything here. If, by chance, you ever come across the canon you are referring to perhaps you would kind enough to offer it here. At that certain point, we may then address it.

God bless,

arch.buff 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456