Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greek Orthodoxy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greek Orthodoxy
    Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 14:19
I was bored last Sunday so I went and visited the Greek Orthodox Church in Spokane. We also have some Russian Orthodox churches and one Orthodox Church of Syria and India near my house.
I went to the Orthodox church only a year or two and then we starting going to the Lutheran church.
We have so few ehtnic Greek in my city that it gave me a chance to meet some in our community but can you answer:

What are the core beliefs of Orthodoxy?

Why do you pray to Icons- forbidden in the Protestant faith.

Is tradition equal to the Bible?

what is the Orthodox beliefs about Hell?

Father Stephen - the title of father is supposed to be forbidden in the Bible (Prostestant belief)- why do the Orthodox use this title for their Priests? (Catholics also- remember this is about Orthodoxy)

Is the Orthodox church today consistant with the Byzantine era Orthodox church?

http://www.holytrinityspokane.org/

Edited by eaglecap - 19-Jun-2007 at 14:24
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 14:52
Orthodox doctrine is pretty much equal to the catholic one only with the differences that:
1) Catholics have some heretic (yes heretic!) views, such us that the Pope (a mere patriarch for us orthodoxes) is representative of God on earth (hah!) and makes no mistakes (HAH!) etc.  plus some non-interesting theological points.
2)Yes. The orthodox church (as also the armenian, coptic, etc and the western churches) does not get affected by the political changes. It has a very direct link with the byzantine times.
The greek church however was founded in the 19th century, in order to get independent from the turkish controlled Patriarchate of Contsantinople (still occupied by Turkey, who does everything to kill its 1700 years long life). However, unlike the rest independent "new" churches (serb, bulgarian, russian) it is still "under" the "influence" of the Patriarchate.

Count in this that these things apply only for the southern half of Greece, as the northern part is still part of the Patriarchate of Constantinople (liberated only in the early 20th cent.) 
Today, the Patriarchates of Jerusalem, Constantinople, Antioch and Alexandria (I think) are ruled by Greeks.

Recently, there was some unrest in Palestine (Patr. of Jerusalem). One of thier demands was that they should have an Arab Patriarch instead of a Greek one.

That's all I can say. For more information there's an Australian guy (Akolouthos) who knows MUCH more. Wait till he replies.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 15:26

1.Equality between Father(God) son(Christ) and holy spirit(peugeon lol) is the core belief-if is that what you mean- and the main theoritical difference between the orthodox and catholic dogma.

2.This is a hole subjectErmm... We simply don't believe in the icon "itself" but in the saint which is represented... But i can ensure you that it is seriously believed that some relicsof saints( such as saint Demetrios in Thessalonici , snt Rafael in Lesvos) and icons(like taxiarchis in Lesvos Panaghia in Tinos (holy Marry) ) have divine power.

3. Tradition was the only way which had kept the religion(and orthodox christian faith alive) 2 millenias now. Bible is just a book in my point of view ,which give us the main sectors, but that has to do mainly whith theologists, not the people. Of course tradition does not erase the bible...

4.Now about hellErmm .There were said so many through the centuries by irresponcible people...i don't think that there is a clear answer... i ,for example , never had the chance to ask a "father''  to clarify me which is the border line btw the absolute good(heaven ) and absolute bad (hell).As i have read  recently, the aborted embrya are considered as unjudged souls which go to hell immediately and of course those who commite suicide, because they don't anticipate to be judged by God but make their own decision about life. That's because you own your body but God owns your soul(as my theologist teacher used to say) and you have not the right to take it away but only Him.

Orthodox dogma is friendly ,by first sight, to the Protestant, but as i know , official theological discussions can take place btw orthodox and catholics but not btw Orthodox and Protestants. Now about the father subject... It certainly has routs back in the proto-christian society.As you can guess, priest is considered as a father , the common people as brothers. I can remember that the few times i spoke to a monk  , he called me "brother" ,when the priest "son".

Finally, the today's Orthodox church(in Greece) looks like a pure continuation to this of Palaeologian era(wooden seats with 2 headed eagle in the church, the yellow/black flag with the same eagle, the medieval Greek language in the psalms, the Byzantine costumes, the melody) and it looks like it has the same influence to the Greek state as then(Palaeologian era)Wink

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2007 at 00:48
hmm, that last picture is in your signature isn't it
Orthodox Church of Syria and India

You have an east syriac (keralan Christian) church near you? Thats cool! You should join them.

And for me, ask them what connection they have with the Syrian Orthodox Church (as in the one in Syria, not kerala)
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2007 at 15:10
Sorry my knowledge of Orthodoxy is no where near that of some of our other members, although I must correct some things.

1) Catholics have some heretic (yes heretic!) views,

It's okay, you guys are heretics too, although the more appropriate term would be schismatic, since our issue is a matter of politics and not faith.

such us that the Pope (a mere patriarch for us orthodoxes) is representative of God on earth (hah!)

So you believe that God chose to abandon us with no one to guide us on how to live our lives? I believe that all the Patriarchs are meant to carry on the apostolic traditions set forth by Jesus' first disciples. However Peter was the First among the apostles and Peter's heirs would carry his legacy in that regard.

and makes no mistakes (HAH!)

Um....no, totally wrong in all regards. The belief in Papal Infallibility is that the Pope is removed from error when he speaks for all the Church. And to not this has only ever been used twice in the ENTIRE history of the church. That would be the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption of Mary, of course if you believe those two things to be mistakes then...

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2007 at 19:45
Originally posted by JanusRook

such us that the Pope (a mere patriarch for us orthodoxes) is representative of God on earth (hah!)

So you believe that God chose to abandon us with no one to guide us on how to live our lives? I believe that all the Patriarchs are meant to carry on the apostolic traditions set forth by Jesus' first disciples. However Peter was the First among the apostles and Peter's heirs would carry his legacy in that regard.
First amongst equals, not just the first. The Bishop of Rome has a position of spiritual prestige amongst his fellow bishops and not absolute political power over them, otherwise he is a schimastic to the church.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 09:55
Everybody seems to be confusing 'Catholic' with 'Roman Catholic'. The Orthodox churches are just as Catholic as the Roman or indeed the Anglican.

While there are some points of doctrinal difference, differing views abuot the legitimacy of the apostolic successions, and, especially, differences in church discipline, as for instance the celibacy of the priesthood, the major difference for the last 1500 years or so is simply over the authority of the Pope, and his (assumed by the Romans) unique status with regard to the Holy Spirit.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 22:30
Originally posted by xristar

That's all I can say. For more information there's an Australian guy (Akolouthos) who knows MUCH more. Wait till he replies.

Thank you for your recommendation, xristar. Australian, am I? You have my gratitude for two compliments then. Wink

Before addressing eaglecap's questions, I must address Janus' comments, which relate to a previous thread in which he and I discussed the nature of the Great Schism.

On the matter of the Schism...

Originally posted by Janus Rook

It's okay, you guys are heretics too, although the more appropriate term would be schismatic, since our issue is a matter of politics and not faith.

Generally Romanists would refer to us as schismatics, for they view the separation in terms of a separation of the Eastern bishops from the Roman see. Many Orthodox theologians, in addition to viewing the schism in terms of the separation of the Roman Church from the Church, also view certain Roman theological propositions as heretical. Thus, the Roman Church would be both schismatic and heretical. Thus, heretic would be an appropriate term for an Orthodox Christian to use given our understanding of the nature of the Schism and all that has come to pass in the interim.

There has actually been a remarkable development in the way these terms are used, especially since the ecumenical movement got off the ground. This development, itself, like so many other matters theological, has become a matter of contention. LOL

So you believe that God chose to abandon us with no one to guide us on how to live our lives?

Well don't forget the Holy Spirit, who leads the Church into all truth. And then there is always Christ who, according the Ignatius of Antioch and the fathers, is ever present with us as the invisible bishop.

I believe that all the Patriarchs are meant to carry on the apostolic traditions set forth by Jesus' first disciples. However Peter was the First among the apostles and Peter's heirs would carry his legacy in that regard.

You seem to have an understanding of the Roman primacy somewhere in between the official position of the Roman church and the orthodox position. Be that as it may, it is plain from both Scripture and Holy Tradition that the Roman bishop possesses the authority to speak with the Church, but never in its despite.

A canonical bishop of Rome, as Leonidas noted, is the primus inter pares in the Church--although the term servus servorum dei, adopted by Gregory the Dialogist, is also an accurate description of his role. A schismatic bishop of Rome has deprived himself, by his separation from the Church, of any rights or privileges to which a canonical bishop of Rome would be entitled.

Um....no, totally wrong in all regards. The belief in Papal Infallibility is that the Pope is removed from error when he speaks for all the Church.

We have discussed this ad nauseam, although we could give it another go, if you like. The Roman position is actually that the bishop of Rome is infallible when speaking ex cathedra on a matter of faith and morals with the intent to bind the entire Church to his decree. The reality is that it can be taken to support whatever Roman theologians find to be most convenient.

The heart of the matter, however, is that the doctrine is supported neither by the Holy Scriptures, nor by the Tradition of the Church.

And to not this has only ever been used twice in the ENTIRE history of the church. That would be the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption of Mary, of course if you believe those two things to be mistakes then...

Aye, two confirmed times. And why were they confirmed? I would, once again, refer you to the work of Brian Tierney. That said, for the sake of clarity, most theologians--and Pope Benedict himself--note that there is no comprehensive list of infallible decrees of the popes.

And so, Janus, if you wish to have this conversation again I am game. After all, it might even be profitable; you and I have doubtless picked up a good deal more knowledge in the interim, and the Spirit never ceases to lead. If we do have a discussion, however, I may be a little less punctual than I was in our previous thread, for which I apologize.

And now to deal with the original questions posed by eaglecap...

Originally posted by eaglecap

What are the core beliefs of Orthodoxy?

The core beliefs are summed up in the Nicene Creed which we recite without the filioque (and from the Son)--a Western innovation appended in the clause regarding the Holy Spirit.

If you wish to know more about what Orthodox Christians believe, you could pick up a catechism. I would advise reading one that deals specifically with the Creed itself and a few other basic beliefs. If you are looking for something a bit more comprehensive, you could read Anthony Coiniaris' Introducing the Orthodox Church. Bishop Kallistos' The Orthodox Church and The Orthodox Way are also worth reading. If you want a more comprehensive reading list, by all means ask and I will provide one.

The Orthodox do not pray to icons, but rather, as Athanasios noted above, to the saints whom the icons represent.

Although you will occasionally hear Orthodox Christians speaking of praying to icons, that phrasing is technically incorrect (it presumes a familiarity with the orthodox understanding of the icon). We pray before icons, to the saints and to God. When we venerate the icons, we venerate the image of the saint or Christ, and our veneration goes to the prototype. This is in accordance with the decrees of the Seventh Ecumenical Council.

An illustration: 
Surely if I take a picture of my family on a trip and kiss it, thereby venerating it, I am not venerating the picture itself--that is to say, my love is not directed toward the paper and pigments of which the picture is composed. My love is directed to the prototype of the image in the photograph. I am kissing the picture as an expression of love for my family itself. So it is with the holy icons.

Is tradition equal to the Bible?

Holy Tradition is the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit in the Church; it is the means by which God has chosen to lead his chosen people.

The discussion cannot accurately be cast in terms of "Tradition vs. the Bible," for the two are complimentary. The canon of Scripture, itself, is a product of Holy Tradition, and it is Tradition which provides an accurate interpretation of the Holy Scriptures. There is a passage in Saint Vincent of Lerins' Commonitorium which explains that although Scripture is sufficient for the formation of doctrine, it is only sufficient insofar as it is interpreted correctly. Vincent notes that every heretic in history, from Arius on down, has cited a plethora of proof texts from Scripture. 

The validity of Tradition is explicitly asserted in Scripture, and references to extra-Scriptural traditions are present in the New Testament. Paul repeatedly instructs individuals to preserve Apostolic tradition. I know of at least one Jewish oral tradition that is referenced in Scripture (Jannes and Jambres in 2 Tim 3:8) and one non-canonical Jewish book referenced (The Assumption of Moses referred to in Jude 9).

The long and short of it is this: Holy Tradition is necessary. It safeguards the proper interpretation of Scripture and is evidence that the Holy Spirit guides the Church "into all truth" in accordance with the promise of our Lord.

This is not my special area of expertise. Nonetheless, I will strive to answer your question to the best of my ability.

Generally the Orthodox Church does not hold to the overly juridical theology that gradually developed in the West. No doubt there will be a judgment, and no doubt our actions affect that judgment. Still, we think of God in terms of mercy, and of sin in terms of separation (hamartia) from Him. Thus, Hell may be conceived of as God's love experienced as pain. The infinite love of God is experienced as an infinite torment by those who have rejected it.

Father Stephen - the title of father is supposed to be forbidden in the Bible (Prostestant belief)- why do the Orthodox use this title for their Priests? (Catholics also- remember this is about Orthodoxy)

It is pretty clear, if the passage (Matt 23: 9) is taken in context with the rest of Scripture, that Christ is not forbidding the use of the term "father" completely (after all, we use it often when referring to our own biological fathers). Indeed the term "father" is recurrent in both the Old and the New Testaments. Rather what Christ is referring to is the desire of the Pharisees and other Jewish spiritual leaders to aggrandize themselves at the expense of their service to God. This is how the Church views this passage. In fact the Orthodox understanding requires more of us than the traditional polemical Protestant understanding, for according to the Orthodox understanding those in positions of religious leadership are considered unworthy of those positions if they do not use them to serve God above all else. Thus, the term "father" could still be sinful if applied to an individual who seeks to serve himself before God, as could any number of other terms ("Pastor", "Doctor", "Teacher", etc.).

To infer that it is the title "father" itself that is forbidden is would be a bit pharisaical. Our Lord was not generally in the habit of making statements with tiny, legalistic implications. We must, rather, seek to follow what Christ said in the context of the rest of his message: we must never let ourselves become so enamored of titles and the respect of men that we forget our duty to Christ.

Is the Orthodox church today consistant with the Byzantine era Orthodox church?

The Orthodox Church is the Church founded by Christ and administered, in the first century, by the Apsotles themselves. It is the Body of Christ referred to by Saint Paul. It preserves, in living continuity the fullness of "the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints."

And so...

If you have any questions I will try, to the best of my ability, to answer them. If you wish a reading list on any of the topics mentioned above I would be happy to provide it. I hope I have been of some help. God bless and keep you.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 04-Jul-2007 at 06:29
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 23:44
Interesting questions eaglecap. Let us strip down some answers given to the bone and find the internal structure.

What are the core beliefs of Orthodoxy

That this is the worldwide church. (but it does help to be Greek of course) The rest are just pretenders.

Because icons (windows) are a window to Heaven, by gazing upon them the mysteries of the faith become revealed to the believer.

Is tradition equal to the Bible

Yes, if using the original Greek bible and original Greek traditions. 

Fire and brimstone that are the same as in Greek mythology. What else  can there be when both agree?
elenos
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 19:46
Thank you for the good tips. I enjoyed being at the Greek Orthodox Church, but I was really more there to meet other people of Greek heritage than anything else. I did enjoy the service and closed my eyes and tried to envision a service in the St. sophia prior to 1453. While I was in Istanbul (Constantinople) I visitd this sared site eight times and the Basillica cisteren 16 time. The latter I got in for free because I helped the coffee shop owner with his English.

Because we only went to the Orthodox church briefly, as a child, I was confused by the service but for me it was a cultural event.

I think it is strange I live within a block of an Orthdox church in Spokane and three hours south my girl friend lives one block from an Orthodox church- in Walla Walla. We do not have many Orhodox in our region.

St Gregorios Syrian Orthodox Church of India is not far from my house.

Edited by eaglecap - 04-Jul-2007 at 20:03
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 22:11
I can imagine a service once again in St Sophia, eaglecap. The first time around would have been really something! The chanting the incense, the processions, the costumes and customs, the whole enchilada. But to see the church itself! Must go and visit there one day.

Your girlfriend lives in Walla Walla? Sounds like an Australian Aboriginal name for a town. We do have Wagga Wagga and so on.
elenos
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 23:28
Originally posted by elenos

I can imagine a service once again in St Sophia, eaglecap. The first time around would have been really something! The chanting the incense, the processions, the costumes and customs, the whole enchilada. But to see the church itself! Must go and visit there one day. Your girlfriend lives in Walla Walla? Sounds like an Australian Aboriginal name for a town. We do have Wagga Wagga and so on.

Walla Walla was the name of a tribe who lived there till the 18th c. and means land of many waters. There are numerous cold springs that flow through the town from the nearby Blue Mountains. Good place to see and also hunt elk.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 00:15

This is spooky. Waggga Wagga was named by the Wiradjuri tribe that lived there until the 18th century and means place of many crows. It straddles the Murrembidgee River (part of the Murray-Darling river system) that flows from the Great Dividing Range into this natural valley and is part of the Riverina area, sometimes called the fruitbowl of Australia because of the agriculture.

Many Greeks have settled in the area. Further up this mountain range starts again as the Blue Mountains. Would you believe the similarities, but we dont have elk, plenty of kangaroos though. At one time the place used to shelter famous Australian outlaws, we call them bushrangers, with names like Captain Moonlight and Mad Dog Morgan who held up stagecoaches and hotels.

Edited by elenos - 05-Jul-2007 at 00:18
elenos
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 00:46

That this is the worldwide church. (but it does help to be Greek of course) The rest are just pretenders.
 Orthodoxy while using greek in its rituals, is not an ethnic based dogma.

Fire and brimstone that are the same as in Greek mythology. What else  can there be when both agree?
AFAIK this is originally an Egyptain concept of hell and is more relevant to the schimistics and coptics. The Anceint greek version of hell was a shadowy place, similar in nature to the jewish one.

orthodoxy veiw of hell is a little different, it is not some place 'evil' people go...

The Holy Orthodox Church, in keeping with Scripture and the most ancient Christian doctrine, teaches that all people come into the presence of God in the afterlife. Some will bask in joy because of that infinite love, glory, light, power, and truth that is Almighty God. Others will cower in fear and be in torment DUE TO THAT SAME PRESENCE. All the same, there will be some kind of separation or "great gulf". 
link
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 03:25

Are you trying to test me? Huh, bring it on, but I won't answer all at once. In Greek mythology, the river  Phlegethon, (lake of fire) was one of the five rivers of the underworld, along with the rivers Styx, Lethe, Cocytus, and Acheron. The river that flows with fire which burns and does not consume. (Virgil VI, 265, 551). So there you go, everlasting fire!

It is said that the goddess Styx was in love with Phlegethon, but she being consumed by his flames she sent him to Hades. When Zeus accepted her river to flow through as well, they reunited.

Want another myth? Zeus slept with Semele secretly, His wife Hera only found out after the girl was pregnant. Hera disguised herself and persuaded Semele to demand Zeus come to her in the way he visited his wife. Semele got Zeus to swear by the river Styx that he would grant her mortal wish. However Zeus, being a god, came to her in a bolt of lightning, and Semele was an immediate pile of ashes. However, Zeus rescued the unborn child from the mother's ashes and sewed it in his thigh until born. Thus the son, Dionysus is called "the twice-born." Dionysus was raised at first by Semele's sister. As an adult, he retrieved his mother from Hades and made her a goddess called Thyone.

Quotes from Wikipedia; Dionysus or Dionysos is the Greek god of wine. He represents not only the intoxicating power of wine, but also its social and beneficial influences. Known as Bacchus to the Romans, he was viewed as the promoter of civilization, a lawgiver, and lover of peace. He was also known as the Liberator (Eleutherios), freeing one from one's normal self, by madness, ecstasy, or wine. The divine mission of Dionysus was to mingle the music of the flute and to bring an end to care and worry. Dionysus presided over communication between the living and the dead.

The Dionysiac rites are thought to have survived into modern times in the rites of Anastenaria, still practiced by Greeks descended from Thracian populations displaced during the course of the Balkan wars. Most are of the opinion that the fire walking accompanied by ecstatic dancing, drumming, and forays into the woods or mountains by participants "possessed by the saint", as well as the preliminary animal sacrifice and distribution of meat to the village population, are at their origin not the Christian rites they are constructed as by the villagers who perform them, but the rites of Dionysus.

elenos
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 09:01

Are you trying to test me? Huh, bring it on, but I won't answer all at once. In Greek mythology, the river  Phlegethon, (lake of fire) was one of the five rivers of the underworld, along with the rivers Styx, Lethe, Cocytus, and Acheron. The river that flows with fire which burns and does not consume. (Virgil VI, 265, 551). So there you go, everlasting fire!

im not testing anyone, hades is a place everyone goes to when they die and wasn't a just a place for punishment even though parts/levels of it were described that way later on. It was very close to to the dark and gloomy Sheol (Pit, Grave, world of the dead) of the Jewish belief and translated easily over from jewish/aramiac to greek.

The Septuagint

For my soul is filled with troubles, and my life has drawn nigh to Hades. 4 I have been reckoned with them that go down to the pit; I became as a man without help; 5 free among the dead, as the slain ones cast out, who sleep in the tomb; whom thou rememberest no more; and they are rejected from thy hand. 6 They laid me in the lowest pit, in dark places, and in the shadow of death. 7 Thy wrath has pressed heavily upon me, and thou hast brought upon me all thy billows.
PSALM 88.3 Link

13 For if I remain, Hades is my habitation: and my bed has been made in darkness. 14 I have called upon death to be my father, and corruption to be my mother and sister. 15 Where then is yet my hope? or where shall I see my good? 16 Will they go down with me to Hades, or shall we go down together to the tomb?
JOB 17.13 Link

The Homeric Hymn of Demeter talks of darkness and gloom.
 Source

" Bury me with all speed that I may pass the gates of Hades; the ghosts, vain shadows of men that can labour no more, drive me away from them; they will not yet suffer me to join those that are beyond the river, and I wander all desolate by the wide gates of the house of Hades." IIliad BookXXIII Source

the Odyssey goes into more detail. No fire and brimstone there

Western christian notion of 'hell'  with its eternal punishment and demonic characters is different to the ancient Greek, OT or orthodox notion of the after life

while Dionysus, fire walking and the like has nothing to do with this.

Edited by Leonidas - 05-Jul-2007 at 09:03
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 11:08

This is spooky. Waggga Wagga was named by the Wiradjuri tribe
that lived there until the 18th century and means place of many crows. It
straddles the <st1:place><st1:placename>Murrembidgee</st1:placename> <st1:place>River</st1:place></st1:place>
(part of the Murray-Darling river system) that flows from the <st1:place>Great Dividing
Range</st1:place> into this natural valley and is part of the Riverina area, sometimes
called the fruitbowl of <st1:country-region><st1:place>Australia</st1:place></st1:country-region> because of the agriculture.

Many Greeks have settled in the area. Further up this mountain range starts
again as the <st1:place>Blue Mountains</st1:place>. Would you believe the similarities,
but we dont have elk, plenty of kangaroos though. At one time the place used to shelter famous Australian
outlaws, we call them bushrangers, with names like Captain Moonlight and Mad
Dog Morgan who held up stagecoaches and hotels.

Greek Australians - it is amazing how the diaspora has spread us around the world. My mother was from Corinthos and I had the chance to go there twice. We have very few Greeks in my area but there is a Greek Orthodox church. There were more Greeks years ago but the rail road jobs died off and many left for Seattle or other places. I heard the same about Walla Walla.

I go off and on to a service at the Greek church but it is small and many of the people who go there are not Greek; Anglo Americans or Slavs.

I am not sure if the Walla Walla tribe was salish or not like the Spokane Indians, also a baseball team in Spokane.

I have heard about the Blue Mountains of Australia and I would love to go there someday. Our Blue Mountains are mostly volcanic and not real big mountains. There is a large area in them set aside as wilderness, the Wenaha Tucannon wilderness area. The name Tucannon sounds indian but it came from the fact there were two cannons by what is now called the Tucannon River.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 19:47

The largest settlement of Greeks outside of Greece is further South than Wagga, they live here in Melbourne where I live. The Greek Prime Minister came to visit a few weeks ago. The Melbourne City Council used a football stadium to give him welcome. The place was packed and he got a rock star welcome. Most people, particularly the many young, had on their long blue and white woollen scarves with HELLAS emblazoned down the side. That has become their trade mark so to speak.     

Here there is a Greek Orthodox Church in nearly every suburb. A street near where I live, Lygon Street has over a mile of Greek and Italian coffee houses one after another and they all do well. Many people talk about the old country, over their short black coffee, but are disappointed to return. Greece has gone ahead and modernized where many Greek suburbs here still follow the old ways, which suits conservative Melbourne. We respect the past and simply dont tear down the old parks and gardens like Sydney does. The diehards here have a wood fired oven out in the backyard for baking bread and that sort of thing and are legendary for huge family barbecues on the weekends. Roasted goat is still popular.

The Blue Mountains here are not really big mountains either. The unusual feature is how they are separated by deep fissures, huge cracks that go straight down. During the settlement of early Australia they proved impassable for a while. The technology needed had not yet been invented

Edited by elenos - 05-Jul-2007 at 20:15
elenos
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 20:20

Aha, Leonindas, a classic example of the excluded middle argument. I said the Greeks did have fire as punishment, you denied it, I gave indisputable evidence. The lake of fire was one of the rivers of Hades. The ancient Greek version of hell was of Hades.

The Homeric Hymn of Demeter may have talked of darkness and gloom, but the lake of fire was one of the rivers of Hades. Tell me what I havent already said, please. You said (Hades) wasn't a just a place for punishment even though parts/levels of it were described that way later on. Okay, dont go on, prove it!

You quoted the Illiad and the Oddysey. Werent they written 900-800 BC? Stories about Trojan wars that happened 1200 BC perhaps? These dates are from archaic times! Many principal Greek cities had not even been built then, let alone the culture that went with them. The beginnings of Athenian Democracy began in 600 BC..

This lake of fire that you so (hotly!) dispute came at least before the Classic or Golden Age, centuries before Alexander conquered Palestine and the Jews became Hellenized. After Alexander the Great (died 323 BC) the Jews were requested to write down their religious tradition, largely unwritten beforehand. So what is your point about using these writings called the Septuagint as evidence?

Are you telling me the Greeks soldiers came trotting into Jerusalem shouting Hey fellas, dont you write about our current beliefs now, why not take and use those of up to a thousand years old? And you ask why I question you? This is getting weird like some Greek drama is unfolding!

elenos
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 20:59

The largest settlement of Greeks outside of <st1:country-region><st1:place>Greece</st1:place></st1:country-region>
is further South than Wagga, they live here in <st1:city><st1:place>Melbourne</st1:place></st1:city>
where I live. The Greek Prime Minister came to visit a few weeks ago. The Melbourne
City Council used a football stadium to give him welcome. The place was packed
and he got a rock star welcome. Most people, particularly the many young, had on
their long blue and white woollen scarves with <st1:place>HELLAS</st1:place>
emblazoned down the side. That has become their trade mark so to speak. <span style=""></span><span style=""></span><span style=""></span><span style=""></span>

<o:p></o:p>Here there is a Greek Orthodox Church in nearly every
suburb. <st1:street><st1:address>A street</st1:address></st1:street> near where
I live, <st1:street><st1:address>Lygon Street</st1:address></st1:street> has
over a mile of Greek and Italian coffee houses one after another and they all
do well. Many people talk about the old country, over their short black
coffee, but are disappointed to return. <st1:country-region><st1:place>Greece</st1:place></st1:country-region>
has gone ahead and modernized where many Greek suburbs here still follow the
old ways, which suits conservative <st1:city><st1:place>Melbourne</st1:place></st1:city>.
We respect the past and simply dont tear down the old parks and gardens like <st1:city><st1:place>Sydney</st1:place></st1:city>
does. The diehards here have a wood fired oven out in the backyard for baking
bread and that sort of thing and are legendary for huge family barbecues on the
weekends. Roasted goat is still popular.

<o:p></o:p>The <st1:place>Blue Mountains</st1:place> here are not
really big mountains either. The unusual feature is how they are separated
by deep fissures, huge cracks that go straight down. During the settlement of early <st1:country-region><st1:place>Australia</st1:place></st1:country-region>
they proved impassable for a while. The technology needed had not yet been
invented

<o:p></o:p>

That is strange our blue mountains are is very plateau-like with deep basalt rock canyons and dense forests of evergreen. It is sad to see places named grizzly bear ridge and knowing that these magnificent bears were wiped out by the cattle ranchers. There are plenty of black bears though, smaller and less aggressive. Only one species of poison snake- the timber rattle snake. I know in your area you have heaps of them poisoness critters. I would love to go hiking in your Blue Mountains someday. I saw a movie from the 1980s that was filmed in your Blue Mountains. The movie had William Holden in it.

I wish we had more Greeks in my city but there are more in Seattle, more jobs also. We have one Greek restaurant in town but the food is more trendy than Greek. The owner is half Armenian and half Greek. There is a really good Greek owned restaurant in Coeur d Alene, Idaho (state) by the lake but it is forty five minutes by car from my home

Edited by eaglecap - 05-Jul-2007 at 21:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>