Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alocholism over E. Europe is caused by... Mongol??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alocholism over E. Europe is caused by... Mongol??
    Posted: 26-Jul-2007 at 05:20
I always assumed Eastern Europeaners liked the booze because of the cold? The Soviet central heating system and all that?
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 00:38
It's a funny thread

Originally posted by Reginmund

the Poles are the ones who can't hold their drink, not the Russians.

Reginmund, I have to correct you. The Poles like to vaunt how good we are in drinking. And the Poles like to compare themselfs to Russians in drinking, but the true is that we are little boys compare to Russians or even to Chineses. An average Pole drinks only about 11 dm3 alcohol per year, while an average Russian or Chinese (yes, Chineses are only a little worse than Russians) drinks about 25 dm3 alcohol per year.
BTW, thanks to Chineses, Polish vodka has a good perspective in the future. Thanks to export of Polish vodka to China, its production is increasing a few hundred per cent per year!

Edited by ataman - 27-Jul-2007 at 00:46
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 18:43
Originally posted by pekau

My biology teacher told me about a theory that when Mongolian hordes invaded Eastern Europe, the Mongolian genes mixed with the them (Primary due to rape or intermarriage) and brought Asian genes that caused Eastern European people to have weak resistance against alcoholic drinks. This may be the reason why there are so many Eastern Euopean people who have issues with alcoholic problems...

When I first heard of this, I thought it was odd... yet possible scenario. What do you think? And of course, it's just a theory.

What a loads of bullsh*t. Your history teacher is dumb and I would advice You to change school. Mongols had almost none impact on Poland. One bigger invasions in 1241. Maybe few people were born after their invasion so what it has to do with the whole nation.
The other thing is that Eastern European are well known to have strong resistance against alcoholic drinks. Western Europeans get drunk when we are just starting LOL.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 18:52
I have to say that trying to prove that Eastern Europeans are drinking a lot because of Mongols is one of the most stupid theories I have ever heard. I wonder what will be next? That Hitler was Marsian. I'm sure some of You will have profs and quotes on that too.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 19:49
Nope, Eastern Europeans drink lots alcohol because it is cheap and its cold out there during the winter, what can you else do. Also many peasants know how to make alcohol at home, though it is illegal to sell it to the others I guess (well at least in Latvia).
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 00:54
In fact, for thousands years, drinking alcohol was a save method of completing lotions and calories. Water was often contaminated by bacteriums, so drinking water was very dangerous. For thousands years a beer was a 'liquid bread' and it was a substitute of water for most of European civilisations.

Edited by ataman - 29-Jul-2007 at 00:54
Timucin View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Timucin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 14:55
Tell your biology teacher to have his head re-exmained.!!!

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 23:05

Just for some people's interests... some of us wrote the petition to the school administration for her incompetence. Naturally, she will just try to retire early to get the pension... but it matters little. She's no longer my teacher.

Join us.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 23:24
Your ex-teacher will be receiving a petition from the Mongolian Alcoholics Anonymous!
elenos
baydlag View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote baydlag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2012 at 23:03
If you see Mongolian nomads daily life in steppe, there no time to drinking until fall in every week or everyday. Nomadic life is too busy from born to die. So russian alcoholism is their own problem also I don't think there is not much genetic influence from Mongols to Slavs. Russians are part Fin and part Slavs. Have to find their problem from Fins.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2012 at 00:42
I think that if you feel an overwhelming desire to drink alcohol, and do not want to stop drinking a lot of alcohol, blaming others might come easy. If you believe that alcoholism is in your blood, do you strongly believe that it means you should drink huge amounts of alcohol? No obviously not.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2012 at 08:40
If there's alcohol problems in your family, then don't you feel the need to drink yourself into oblivion. 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Snafu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2012 at 10:47
I think long, cold winters contribute to alcoholism more than Mongolian genes
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2012 at 11:11
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

If there's alcohol problems in your family, then don't you feel the need to drink yourself into oblivion. 

There hasn't been anything solid discovered indicating genetic predisposition of alcohol addiction.  Children of alcoholics are more likely to develope dependencies as they have been exposed to the same conditions that caused the parent or parents to become alcoholics. 
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2012 at 11:20
Originally posted by Snafu

I think long, cold winters contribute to alcoholism more than Mongolian genes

You are probably closer to the truth than you think.  Seasonal Affect Disorder, "SAD", effects millions worldwide.  Many don't even realize how badly they are effected by it.  It's subtle and if you have a group, ex. classroom, it will be even less noticeable.

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2012 at 12:52
Originally posted by red clay

Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

There hasn't been anything solid discovered indicating genetic predisposition of alcohol addiction.  Children of alcoholics are more likely to develope dependencies as they have been exposed to the same conditions that caused the parent or parents to become alcoholics. 
My father was an alcoholic, but thankfully had got himself off of the stuff, although unfortunately not over the Christmas and New year period in my earlier years. I still find that time of the year to be difficult, even now, even though he is no longer alive. The funny thing is he was a wonderful man the rest of the time. Myself I'm not really a drinker.
The only thing I've ever heard of people being prone to alcoholism was something I once found saying most alcoholics tested seemed to have a sweet tooth.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 11-Aug-2012 at 12:54
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2012 at 19:32
The Poles have both a love of alcohol and a large Tatar population. Perhaps that's why other Slavs make fun of them in the same way the English mock the Irish?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2012 at 19:43
Originally posted by Nick1986

The Poles have both a love of alcohol and a large Tatar population. Perhaps that's why other Slavs make fun of them in the same way the English mock the Irish?
It's probably better you ask those Slavs on this forum, Nick.Smile
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 19:12
Maybe fellow-Pole Mosquito will see this topic and provide a few answers?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 19:40
Mock the Irish? We take it as a compliment!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>