Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Polanie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Polish-UkrainianCanadian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Polish-UkrainianCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polanie
    Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 13:45
I meant at the beginning not the middle ages.
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 14:19

I am very confused. From the start can you tell me where all the Slavs came from?? Please........ 

There are as many theories as scholars ..but if you mean place of orgin it will be most probable Central Asia - the same palce as othe indo-european tribes, but when you mean  area when salvic tribes have been sepatated from othe indo-european tribes it could be todays Poland, Belorussia or Ukraine..

Also did the Polish always use the Latin alphbet. Before Catholicism the Polish were Orthodox, like the rest of the Slavs.

Not exactly.. this concern only small part o polish tribes - mainly tribe Wislanie- which duke was forced to baptization by Great Moravian ruler. ..as for the rest of Slavs beeing orthodox  - what about Czechs, Slovakians, Khorvats, Lusytian Sorbs and Slovenians ? 

Edited by TJK
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Polish-UkrainianCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 16:28

Oh i see if we didn't use the Latin alphabet in ancient days what did we use??

Janissary
Janissary

Quote Polish-UkrainianCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 20:58
did they use cyrillic??
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 13:45
I posted this before, this is what i believe a Chronicler of Poland wrote, Wincenty Kadlubek, now what you're about to read may seem very farfetched anyone coulds ee that, just read it and you'll se, however I always believe that ppl don't just make these things up and I believe there to be a little truth to even make a lie, so this is just to point out that Poland was around for a lot longer then we believe however because it was just another pagan country no one paid attention to it. thats what i believe to be the case anyways. also someone mentioned that there was 3 main protoslavic groups, cant remember exactly whats it was I believe it was sclaveni, venedi, and antes. Sclaveni(southern slavs) Venedi(western slavs) and antes(eastern slavs) and I do think that it was said that the venedi were the greatest of these tribes.

KRAK- a nobel man, good warrior, first of the Poles to be chosen as King, fought against Gauls(? if someone knows from POlish Gallami help me out, Im assuming it's Gaus, in Latin it's Gallis)anyways they were sent by there king Aswerus, Krak defeated them. Kraks son would be the conqueror of the dragon which I assume you hear in Polish folklore, he would not be the next King after his father becuase he killed his own brother.
WANDA-Kraks Daughter, she was supposed to marry the King of Lemanow( Germans), but she refused and sacrificed her self to the Gods by throwing herself in the Wisla (Vistula). After the reign of Wanda the Poles called themselves Wandalami(Wandals, Vandals). For 100 years the Poles werw without a King.
LESZKO- The first,he defeated Alexander the Great under Lysa Gora.(yeah I know hard to believe, and it may be unrealistic, but it's what it says, and no where in this book does it say legendary kings or mythical)After Alexander lost to the Poles he left the country in peace.
LESZKO- The second, defeated others in a race to Meta(?).As victor he was chosen as King. he was very honorable he had 4 traits that was very famous for, I can't translate them dammit.
LESZKO- The third, the only son of Leszko II, three times he defeated Julius Caesar. They later became good aquiantances and Caesar gave Leszko as his wife his sister Julia which gave birth to 20 sons for Leszko. Elsewhere around the same time Christ is born in Bethlehem. Oktavian somehow related to Caesar gets in good witht he empire(dont know how to translate that one too good).
POPIEL- first born son of Leszko III, the oldest amongst 20 brothers.
POPIEL-grandson of Leszko III, son of Popiel.He was eaten along with his wife and kids by mice in the tower of Kruszwickiego. He was later called Choscisko(if you watched Stara Basn you can maybe make some connections here). He killed all of his fathers brothers by poisoning them.
PIAST-He was chosen by some Martyrs I guess, Jan and Pawel to be King, when Popiel and his heirs all died out.
From him starts a new Dynasty of Kings.
SIEMOWIT- Piasts only son, unnaturally full of energy, and sincere. He always brought about great victories against his enemies. Siemowit regained lots of lost territory.
LESZKO- The fourth, son of Siemowit. he followed in his fathers footsteps with everything he did.
SIEMOMYSL- son of Leszko IV, he had reigned in peace.
and thats it the rest are Mieszko which was the one who accepted christianity,a nd thats that, interesting to hear though that Mieszko was born blind, after 7 years though he would be able to see.

Persoanlly I dont realy care too much, if it was up to me, i wouldnt mind having a huge slavonic union, however we know that doesnt go over too well usually cuz there is major conflicts among slavs, but if you look at it Ukrainians and Poles hae so much similarities, the first croatian state was established bet ween the borders of Poland and Ukraine, both countries have the POlanie tribes, and n.m the common history in the commonwealth.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Polish-UkrainianCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 14:00
I heard there was alot said about Siemomysl in Ukrayina. Ukrainians tend to use y's more than Polish. maybe Ukrainians and Russians are Poles. Maybe even Bulgars and Croats, and so as Slovakia and the Czechs.

Edited by Polish-UkrainianCanadian
'doter ton craindre grandeur'
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Polish-UkrainianCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 14:11
Poland's traditional dress is very similar to Ukraine's and Russia's. Are some cossacks in Poland. This guy is from Krakow. He looks like a cossack. His instrument looks equivalent to the Russian Balalaika. I love Poland, and Ukraine the countries of my forebearers. I have never been there. I have been to Czech Republic though. I am going to Russia in March Break of 2006.
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 15:11

The guy on the picture is evidently dressed in cossak style..however there were not and there is not polish cossacks - just (according to the reaserch of the some scholars like Gawroski or Jabonowski) Poles were second biggest group in Zaporozhian Cossackdom and consisted of about 10 % of all Zaporozhian Cossacks  - Rusins (Ukrainians) however compose more than 60% of Z.C.  

Look my aritcle about Zaporozhian Cossaks (not finished yet) :

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43&P N=1

Janissary
Janissary

Quote Polish-UkrainianCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 17:47
What does the Polish traditional dress look like i am sure it is very similar to Ukrainian traditional dress. Are Cossacks different from Slavs?? What are they??

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 17:54

I was supposed to not be here but this picture provoked me. The guy on the picture is Ukrainian citisen (i have met him at least 3 times and talked to him once). He is playing and singing old cossack song. He was in many cities in Poland and i have heard that he is going to play in western Europe too. His music is awesome, i spent hours lessening to him.

And polish tradition dresses looks different. There is no one such dress but every region got different.

As for you Ukrainian-Polish canadian or somthing - dont call yourself this way. Im not sure if you know anything about Canada and its history but for sure your knowledge about Ukraine or Poland is none. I seriously doubt if you can find those 2 countries on map. So maybe first try to get a book ro 2, read them, and next come to discuss history?

Edited by Mosquito
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Polish-UkrainianCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 19:39

i know where the f**k they are buddy, i was born in poland. but i moved when i was young. my parents are dead. so i am alone. i am living at a friends. i have no money. WHY THE f**k ARE YOU SO f**kING MEAN!!!! I am trying to ask nicely. All you do is tell me to f**k off. Is it because I am part Ukrainian or Canadian?? what is it?? I bet you are one of the Polish bastards that arfe self-centered. I wanted to know what Wieliczka, and Warszawa's traditional dress was buddy.

Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 08:51

People, I have only one thing to say:

Please, ffs!!!, Do NOT mix language and ethnicity!!! There is a problem in the topics vocabulary: "Slavic people came from Central Russia, along with all Indo-Europeans" or something like that! When speaking of Slavs, or Indo-Europeans in general, please use the term "languages"! The Kurgan people were a culture, not a proto-language, although they spoke a language (naturally). So please, be precise about the terms "Kurgan" and Indo-European.

Thank you and good bye.

KurganRatnik View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote KurganRatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 12:03
f**k OFF Kuu-ukko
'endow your greatest fears'-Kpt. Danylo Kurkowicz
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Polish-UkrainianCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 12:07

What does Warszawa's traditional costume and Wieliczka's traditional costume look like?? Someone who is Polish please answer. Beside Mosquito ( f**king bastard).

Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Rava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 12:24
The best information in the subject Polanie (Polans) you can get from Nestor's Yearbooks. It's comprehensive "who-is-who" of these times and the area of your concern. Norman Davis' works about Poland's history might be interesting for the beginers.
Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 12:27

Originally posted by KurganRatnik

f**k OFF Kuu-ukko

Isn't that rude.  I was merely pointing out the error in the Kurgan hypothesis presented here. It's just that you back it up with the Gimbutas theory. The basic thing is, that you cannot back up linguistical theories with archaelogical evidence (without coming to the same conclusion independently, which is what Gimbutas did NOT do). That is all.

Janissary
Janissary

Quote Polish-UkrainianCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 16:34
Isn't it fascinating, the Poles used Cyrillic, and were orthodox before Roman Catholicism. 
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 17:59
Im not really sure Poles used Cyrillic or were even orthodox before roman cotholiscism. Poland was finally realized as anation when it was christianized, and iM pretty sure before Catholicism they were Pagans; worshipping Swiatowit, czarnobog, and whoever else there was. Unless you kow soemthing I dont Polish-UkrainianCanadian. However there was a large number of Poles who were orthodox during the Polish Commonwealth.
I dont think Poland was ever a orthodox country though.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Polish-UkrainianCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 18:07

Old/Common Slavonic was later written in Glagolitic the early Cyrillic. All Slavs spoke the same language, as pagans. Why were most Poles orthodox in the Commonwealth?? How did it come to be?? Roman church was first orthodox aswell. Which Poland always followed the Roman church since christianized. Bialystok in Poland was Orthodox in the beginning. Second source mentions Greek Orthodox missionaries along the Vistula Christianizing Early Polska.

http://www.bialystok.telbank.pl/orthodox/en/histreg.htm

http://www.mek.iif.hu/porta/szint/tarsad/tortenel/mo_1867/au stria/html/data/chap23.htm

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 16:15
Polish-UkrainianCanadian and KurganRatnik, i ask you to not insult other members or i'll have to issue an offical warning.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>