Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Parallel Universes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parallel Universes?
    Posted: 16-Jun-2007 at 22:18
Do they truelly exist? What are your thoughts and opinions?
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2007 at 14:49
I don't believe in parallel universes, because I believe that the universe is infinite in size and that there are local variations within this infinite universe that can obey different laws of nature. Thus what other people see as parallel universes I see as portions of this universe.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 10:08
If parallel universes don't exist then somebody should invent them! What a great idea that in another place somewhere out there a clone of who we would have been is doing something that would have happened to us had our life gone another way!
elenos
Traveller View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 10:17
No doubt there are many universes.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 10:21
Why should it matter in any way? And it it does matter, what are you planning to do with the knowledge? And if it does not matter, what is the use of discussing it?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 17:53

Aelfgifu said Why should it matter in any way? And it it does matter, what are you planning to do with the knowledge? And if it does not matter, what is the use of discussing it?

Excellent questions and well worth asking. Why should we have history, why have science unless they produce tangible results? Because they help to us to ask questions about the ocean of the yet unknown that surrounds us. Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune

If everybody said this world is only what we can see, how much poorer in the mind would we be! Einstein said within the infinite scheme of things an entire universe could sit on the point of a needle. If we denied the existence of invisible and unseen worlds around us then how would we know about viruses and such? Only by the inquiring mind asking questions about everything, and that includes the vastness of the unseen, we can prepare ourselves for what at first seems like outrageous fortune.

elenos
Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2007 at 20:22
Originally posted by Penelope

Do they truelly exist? What are your thoughts and opinions?

As long as we know, there is only one universe, which is still expanding.
And that raises other interesting questions like where is it expanding ? and like the source of the energy needed for such an expansion ?
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2007 at 20:58
The "bubble" theory appears to be getting a lot of light. I find it interesting since it does fit well with the widely accepted theory of inflation.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2007 at 21:09
I heard that gravity was the only force that existeted in all the universes at the same time. Gravity is the most strong force out there. It was on NGC
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2007 at 21:12
Hey over therrre! 
Hey over therrre!

Parallel universe?
Parallel universe?

Wonder if I have a twin?
Wonder if I have a twin?
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2007 at 22:02
Double, double means double trouble, but don't we all feel that way at times? Where is the universe expanding to? Nowhere, just nowhere, for nothing exists. The universe may be expanding but if that is happening what was nothing becomes something. Now there's a tricky  way of understanding!

The source of energy needed in my opinion is in the property of one atom to explode with the force of an atomic bomb, let's say. The explosion of one atom  causes the explosion of atoms around it, a chain reaction starts and you are on your way to heaven or wherever.

All the atoms inside you become released once irradiated into virtual nothingness, but there is a somethingness about what is released. So (again in my opinion)  inside the atom  are more atoms  that could theoretically can go somewhere else to build mass that is needed to create more material to build more worlds.
elenos
Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2007 at 23:57
So when we collapse the universe to a single point, to a point where it all began, and now it is more interesting. You must have a very dense something that is about to explode with an enormous amount of energy, on its way to shape the universe we know.

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 03:11
Exactly, Scorpius, you nailed it. Every universe/this universe  has a point of origin. No evidence either way can say there are no other universes. The word universe means the all, the everything, but we only have a limited point of view insofar as knowing exactly what else happens we cannot know from our point of view. If there were more than one then if one universe collides with another? Would they repelled by the by the mass and energy of the other or be attracted?

On the other hand could the qualities of one universe pass through another without causing anything much to happen? Carl Sagan had an interesting  theory about how time and space were flat thus making such a process easy.
elenos
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 03:16
Originally posted by JanusRook

I don't believe in parallel universes, because I believe that the universe is infinite in size and that there are local variations within this infinite universe that can obey different laws of nature. Thus what other people see as parallel universes I see as portions of this universe.

Smile

You would be hard pressed to find someone less scientifically literate than I, but I love this quote. Well phrased, logically comprehensive, general enough to allow for interpretation, and in accord with certain other philosophical tenets to which I hold. Nicely done, Janus! Clap

-Akolouthos
Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 17:14
Originally posted by elenos

Every universe/this universe  has a point of origin. No evidence either way can say there are no other universes. The word universe means the all, the everything, but we only have a limited point of view insofar as knowing exactly what else happens we cannot know from our point of view. If there were more than one then if one universe collides with another? Would they repelled by the by the mass and energy of the other or be attracted?

Thanks elenos for your interesting input.
Yes, in theory, there can be as many universes as we want.

The second part depends on gravitional forces that both colliding universes (bodies) apply to each other in different regions of their formation. The result is most likely a mixture, a new shape, a single universe with different configuration.

But for now, as you underlined, from our point of view, the referance point, we only managed to detect the expansion. Other universes? who knows :)

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 18:44
Thank you Scorpius you put that very well. Some people may think all this discussion of theory is vague, but not really, the thinking here is traveling at warp speed! For many years came the old problem of what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object? One old song went "somethings gotta give!"

Only in recent years we know that answer is not true. As Scorpius points out - when two such (theoretical) bodies collide both will break up to merge with each other and form another entity out of the properties of the previous both.
elenos
Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 19:15

The idea of existence of different universes commonly used by sci-fi televison series. They invented the term Hyper Space travel ( after the warp speed idea - Star Trek). The need comes from the fact that with today's knowledge of Physics, you cannot travel at speed of light, which is obviously even if you travel with that speed or multiples of it, still inefficent.

So they invented the Hyper Space drive ;) Which in turn theoritically opens a door in another universe that different sets of Physics laws are in action that enable someone to travel multiple * multiple times of light speed hehe.

I love sci-fi series, these guys are serious genious :)

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 20:40
I have always been a sci-fi fan and would love to travel where no man has been before, in space that is. Beam me up! Yeah, traveling at light speed. According to Einstein the faster you travel means more gaining more mass you get the energy you need to make you travel faster. In theory if you are inside a spaceship approaching the speed of light your body mass would increase dramatically and pop open as you and the spacecraft convert into cosmic gunk and fly apart.

What about wormholes in space hidden inside black holes?
elenos
Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 20:59
Originally posted by elenos

I have always been a sci-fi fan and would love to travel where no man has been before, in space that is. Beam me up! Yeah, traveling at light speed. According to Einstein the faster you travel means more gaining more mass you get the energy you need to make you travel faster. In theory if you are inside a spaceship approaching the speed of light your body mass would increase dramatically and pop open as you and the spacecraft convert into cosmic gunk and fly apart.

What about wormholes in space hidden inside black holes?

That is my point, but a hyper space drive operates in a different universe with diffrent sets of laws that makes sure that someone will not end up as you put pop open :)

Anyway as long as we know Einstein is right, for now at least.

Black holes has enormous gravitional force, so in realty we are shooting in dark about the dynamics of it. The force is so huge that even the most powerfull light beam has no chance of escaping it, and so no chance for us having some decent information about it at all.

As long as I think, I cannot find a way, with my limited knowledge of course , to use a wormhole for travel, or having warp speeds. But who knows again, maybe somebody will ..:)

I am more interested in alternate solutions for space travel, such as magnetising the close environment of a ship, and using this magnetic field to navigate by changing the magnetic field of the ship itself.

And by the way, I am a sci-fi fan,too ;) as it is obvious I guess.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 22:39

Well, theres something I didnt know, about hyperspace being outside of this universe and part of another. That would assume how one universe would have sympathic laws towards the other. That would logically suggest another dimension for the same universe for the odds of a similar universe happening with laws anywhere near our own would be impossible to calculate.

Very true to say there are hidden dimensions we dont know about. They could apply in one part of the universe but not in another. Our solar system is near the edge of a very uninteresting part of the galaxy and nowhere near where the real action takes place. You are a sci-fi fan? Welcome fellow traveler as we cross the threshold of new horizons!

elenos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>