Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

If the Roman Empire didn't falls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Balain d Ibelin View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If the Roman Empire didn't falls
    Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 23:42
If the Roman Empire didn't fall then ..
     What would the world be this day?
     Will America be founded?
     Will it be a single power that rule the World?
     Would Religious freedom allowed?
     Will most of the World or Europe speak Latin?

And what is your other opinion for this question?
"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux
zeno View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote zeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 06:06
the mind boggles! inventing 2000 years of 'new' history has got to be a mammoth task! more recent 'what if's' would be easier for sure

i think one single power ruling the world is more science fiction fantasy than a real possibility, and as the global population shoots up, it gets even less likely

the evolution of philosophical thought means that the old religions would have died anyway, regardless of how they were replaced

but it could have meant no christianity, no islam, judaism destroyed, no renaissance and so on...

latin might have survived though
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 11:56
It seems to be a highly unlikely scenario since there is no way Rome would have lasted so long. Perhaps the question would be better if it were about Rome, hm, falling a couple of centuries later? But if it did survive then my guess is that it would be a bloated, corrupt and vile Eurasian dictatorship supported by the Church. Nothing should last so long, especially if it's a form of government as repressive as Rome (at least by todays standards- of course there would be no "todays standards" if rome had not fallen).

Edited by Haydar - 19-Jun-2007 at 11:58
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 13:13
Originally posted by Balian d'Ibelin

If the Roman Empire didn't fall then ..
     What would the world be this day?
     Will America be founded?
     Will it be a single power that rule the World?
     Would Religious freedom allowed?
     Will most of the World or Europe speak Latin?

And what is your other opinion for this question?

In same sense it didn't fall. Hispania, a Roman province divided in two countries (Portugal and Spain) conquested the Americas, with the competition of other former Roman provinces: Britannia and Galia!

Most of the world speak some English now (including a large fraction of India) which has a vocabulary that is half Latin. Another big bunch are the Romance speaking fellows (Spanish, Portuguese and French) that counts by more than a billion in Europe, the America and Africa.

Now, both the British Empire, and the American worlwide influence has been close to be a single world power.

So, I bet things would be about the same. Only the names has changed.

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 16:34
i got a book about this very subject for my birthday yesterday.  it is a novel, and about the world now, if the roman empire had never fell.  I have only just started it, so I have no idea how good it is, but so far seems interesting.  It is called Romanitas by Sophia McDougall.
zeno View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote zeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 16:59
 Post Reply Post Reply