Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Abrahamic Prometheus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Abrahamic Prometheus
    Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 23:31
Many of you will be familiar with the story of Prometheus, the hero who defied the Olympian Gods and gave humanity the essential gift of fire. In return for this service to humanity, our dear Prometheus was forced to suffer for eternity by having his liver picked out by a bird.

But what do you think of the idea that Prometheus did not die with the end of Olympian worship. That instead, he was transformed into yet another figure with which the Abrahamic religions are very familiar. I am speaking, of course, about Lucifer. Yes, Beelzebub, Satan and all the rest of his glitsy titles represent a figure with a great deal in common with our unfortunate fire giving hero.

Both figures empowered humanity by giving us the tools to survive worldly perils, one by letting us have fire and the other by coaxing us into eating from the tree of knowledge. Both fell out of favour with the God(s) for their stance regarding humanity and what humanity should be. Both suffer punishment for their actions - Prometheus to have his liver picked out and Lucifer to reside in the underworld.

The actions of both figures represent a crucial break with the will of the Deity, seeking to make humanity more than the simple creation of the Deity and instead allowing humanity to forge its own future and direct its own will upon the environment in which humanity finds itself.

I don't really have a major point, I just find the similarities very interesting. I want this to provoke some thoughts on the role of these two figures in theology, whether the one influenced the development of the other, or any other general ideas. Discuss.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2007 at 04:10
I don't see any connection between Shaytan and Prometheus.

Both figures empowered humanity by giving us the tools to survive worldly perils, one by letting us have fire and the other by coaxing us into eating from the tree of knowledge.

I don't think thats accurate for the Shaytan. I don't see how being coaxed towards evil is a tool we need to survive worldly perils, in fact it is the exact opposite.

The actions of both figures represent a crucial break with the will of the Deity, seeking to make humanity more than the simple creation of the Deity and instead allowing humanity to forge its own future and direct its own will upon the environment in which humanity finds itself.

I don't think you can give them Devil that one either. Again this is something completely contradictory to the character of the Shaytan.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 04:04
Originally posted by Omar

I don't think thats accurate for the Shaytan. I don't see how being coaxed towards evil is a tool we need to survive worldly perils, in fact it is the exact opposite.

Ah but we are only told what Satan did was evil. And this is simply because God says so. It's like Prometheus giving humanity fire, something the Olympian Gods also considered impious as it was against their will. We need more of a reason than "God says so" to think something evil.

Originally posted by Omar

I don't think you can give them Devil that one either. Again this is something completely contradictory to the character of the Shaytan.

But who informs us of the character of Satan? God, so we only get God's spin on things.

Interestingly, the Olympian Gods were always known for the pettiness and caprice, so the actions of Prometheus in going against their will to improve humanity are considered "good". Just because the current Abrahamic God is commonly revered as "good", that doesn't necessarily mean that his opponent must be defined as evil all the time. Afterall I would argue that Yahweh is not entirely a nice entity. He massacred Job's entire family and ruined his life to score ego points over - yes that's right - Lucifer. So if the strict good vs evil paradigm does not apply, is it not possible that the similarity between Prometheus' actions and those of Satan have some uncanny similarities?

Again, I am simply trying to provoke some thought and consideration on the issue.

P.S. I find the mention of the Islamic variant of Christian figure names really interesting - e.g. comparing Satan to Shaytan.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 07:11

Ah but we are only told what Satan did was evil. And this is simply because God says so. It's like Prometheus giving humanity fire, something the Olympian Gods also considered impious as it was against their will. We need more of a reason than "God says so" to think something evil.

I don't think there is a reason other than "God says so" as to what is evil and what is not in this context. "Evil" is a definition based on either culture or religion, not something that is entirely possible to pin down in different cultures and religions that are contempory let alone in different eras.

I would say, and I am not sure if this holds in all christian contexts or not, that it is God that both provides (and refuses to provide) what we need to survive, not the Shaytan. The Shaytan coaxes us to do what God tells us not to do, but in the matter of a provider is neutral.
I suppose stealing fire is something that Prometheus was told not to do, however when you put it into a polytheistic enviroment I get completely confused as to which character is which. The Prometheus is too much of an anthropomorphic character to be related to the Shaytan.

So if the strict good vs evil paradigm does not apply, is it not possible that the similarity between Prometheus' actions and those of Satan have some uncanny similarities?

Ignoring good and evil issues, I think prometheus bears more resemblance to a human that has fallen to temptation from the Shaytan, than to the Shaytan itself.

P.S. I find the mention of the Islamic variant of Christian figure names really interesting - e.g. comparing Satan to Shaytan.

Yeah so do I actually. Words that similar are probably connected. I suspect that "Satan" may be a bastardisation of a Hebrew word taken from the bible, and "Shaytan" is the same semetic word evolved down the arabic line. Arabic and Hebrew are quite similar in a number of aspects, and christians have always taken words from the bible and changed them for their own use. Like the name "Benjamin" - which was once "bin Yamin" (son of Yamin) or "Bethany" derivied from the Hebrew/Aramaic meaning "House of Figs" (like Bethlehem). Modern Arabic has changed "Beth" to "Bayt". It just goes to show that people have borrowed words without knowing what they mean (but that happens really often. Did you ever have mufti days in Primary school?)

Personally for some reason I've always felt more comfortable saying the Shaytan. Iblis is another name for Satan.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 12:33
I think the major difference is that Prometheus disobeyed the gods to aid humanity, whereas Satan disobeyed God to abuse humanity.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 13:52
Or that in the Christian religion giving man knowledge is considered as abusing him and in the Greek religion giving man knowledge is considered aiding him.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2007 at 09:39
Originally posted by Constantine XI

We need more of a reason than "God says so" to think something evil.
Good one.

Originally posted by Paul

Or that in the Christian religion giving man knowledge is considered as abusing him and in the Greek religion giving man knowledge is considered aiding him.
So is that.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 23:35

Actually to be more specific, the Serpent tempted Adam and Eve to eat from the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. What this meant was before they ate of the tree they didn't have the ability to commit evil acts because they were innocent, like children. After they ate they had the ability to determine whether an action was right or wrong. They were banished so that they could no longer eat from the Tree of Life, which would have made them eternally guilty by disobeying God.

Also, Prometheus gave men the knowledge of how to create fire. And that's it. He didn't teach them how to do anything else, so it's not really bringing knowledge to humanity.

In fact the more you look at it, neither scenario really has anything to do with learned experiences or the accumulation of multiple pieces of knowledge.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 23:40
Originally posted by JanusRook

they didn't have the ability to commit evil acts because they were innocent, like children.

Who says children are unable to commit evil acts? When it comes to bullying for example, children can be far more ruthless than adults.

You don't need to have knowledge of good and evil in order to commit evil facts. In fact: apparently God considered eating the apple an evil act, so if one would need knowledge of good and evil in order to commit an evil deed, Adam and Eve must have ate from the Tree of Knowledge before they ate from the Tree of Knowledge. Now that's a paradox!
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2007 at 14:29

Who says children are unable to commit evil acts?

Children are in a state of innocence until they reach the age of reason, which is usually around seven or eight years old. Before that time they don't fully understand the effects of their actions and thus cannot be held responsible for their morality or lack thereof.

And God never said eating from the tree was an evil act. He just told them not to do it. It's like a parent telling his five year old not to take cookies from the cookie jar. Would taking the cookies be an evil act? No, but it would be a wrong act because they wouldn't respect the wishes of their father and appropriate punishment should be enacted for disobeying him.

And technically one could argue that it wasn't eating of the tree that got them banished but the actions they performed afterwards, such as hiding from God when he called them. He could have told them not to eat from the tree, because they would then be led to disobeying him, which is evil.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 02:08
Prometheus helped humanity, while Satan led man astray. A crucial difference. Keeping religious beliefs aside for a minute, you can argue that the Olympians did have their own version (s) of satan in that they led men astray, almost all the gods did that at one point or the other, though I can't at the moment remember anyone who led men astray exclusivly, unless its Aphrodite. Who was come to think of it per (I hate to reference him but) Herodotus, of Phonecian origin.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 09:41
Originally posted by Sparten

Prometheus helped humanity, while Satan led man astray. A crucial difference. Keeping religious beliefs aside for a minute, you can argue that the Olympians did have their own version (s) of satan in that they led men astray, almost all the gods did that at one point or the other, though I can't at the moment remember anyone who led men astray exclusivly, unless its Aphrodite.
Rather depends what you mean by 'astray'. Thumbs%20Up

Same comment applies to Dionysus.

Who was come to think of it per (I hate to reference him but) Herodotus, of Phonecian origin.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 11:41
Originally posted by JanusRook

And God never said eating from the tree was an evil act. He just told them not to do it.......

He could have told them not to eat from the tree, because they would then be led to disobeying him, which is evil.

So then Adam and Eve were in fact capable of committing an evil act before they ate from the tree. Disobeying God is evil, according to Abrahamic teachings, and they were capable of this before eating from the tree of knowledge. It is interesting that only after a person has knowledge, can they be considered blameworthy of their actions. Alternative belief systems such as the cult of Minerva stress the need to acquire as much wisdom as possible so that people might attain a better state of being.

Originally posted by gcle2003

Prometheus helped humanity, while Satan led man astray. A crucial difference. Keeping religious beliefs aside for a minute, you can argue that the Olympians did have their own version (s) of satan in that they led men astray, almost all the gods did that at one point or the other, though I can't at the moment remember anyone who led men astray exclusivly, unless its Aphrodite.

Rather depends what you mean by 'astray'.

Exactly, we only believe Satan led us astray because the Holy texts say so. Which is a pretty poor rationale behind it being evil. Prometheus led us "astray" also, as the Olympian Gods did not wish us to have knowledge of controlling fire. We are left to make our own interpretation of whether his actions were a gift to us or were leading us "astray". Lucifer egged us on to consuming the fruit which would bring us knowledge. This was "astray" from what God had planned for us, just as Prometheus' actions were "astray" from what the Olympian gods had planned for us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 11:45
Prometheus got eaten up by birds. satan is very much around. And the point is that the Olympians beleived that Prometheus did mankind a favour, while in the Abrahamic religions (except Islam to a lesser extent) Satan's advice had a disasterous result. I don't belive the splendid isolation theory of 19th century Hellenists. But I don't think we should see connections which are only peripheral, espcially when you have connections which which are very tangible.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 18:00

Disobeying God is evil, according to Abrahamic teachings, and they were capable of this before eating from the tree of knowledge.

No they were not capable of disobeying God if left to their own devices, it took the temptation of the serpent to bring this about. It's as if you were told not to open a locked door in your house, however if someone gave you a key to the lock then you could quite easily have the choice whether to open it or not.

Also disobeying God is THE ONLY EVIL ACT one can ever commit. And no where does it say pursuit of knowledge is evil in the christian religion, it says that the pursuit of anything against God is forbidden.

Exactly, we only believe Satan led us astray because the Holy texts say so.

Maybe some people do, others look further into it and look at the metaphors and logic behind the actions taken by the figures in the Bible.

Lucifer egged us on to consuming the fruit which would bring us knowledge.

....of Good and Evil, Adam and Eve had plenty of knowledge about a myriad of other subjects, they just were unable to comprehend the concepts of Good and Evil. They were innocent not ignorant.

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 22:31
I don't understand why a god would even put a temptation infront of people and tell them not to touch it, it's like telling a kid not to play with fire and leaving matches in his reach. Not a very good idea, and pretty childish on the supieor beings part if you ask me.
On top of that, I was taught that the Abrahamic god can see in the future(everything about him seems limitless...), so why tell them one thing and allow it to happen anyways? If he knew it was  going to happen, then why even bother telling them? Does it mean he can't change fate himself?
I never understood how the bible knows this god so well on the personal level as it seems. Christians seem to have every answer to the point it sounds like they make half of it up. Amazing what one book can say and how many can follow it.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2007 at 01:00

I don't understand why a god would even put a temptation infront of people and tell them not to touch it

There was no temptation until the serpent suggested it, it would be like leaving matches in front of a kid and telling them not to play with fire, except they don't know what matches are for. Then an older kid tells them what the matches do and they are tempted.

On top of that, I was taught that the Abrahamic god can see in the future(everything about him seems limitless...), so why tell them one thing and allow it to happen anyways? If he knew it was  going to happen, then why even bother telling them? Does it mean he can't change fate himself?

God IS fate, God knew that Adam and Eve would disobey him even before they were created, why did he allow them to do this, perhaps it was necessary for the salvation of mankind. It is one of those mysteries of the faith.

I never understood how the bible knows this god so well on the personal level as it seems.

Well...it is the equivalent to his journal...

Christians seem to have every answer to the point it sounds like they make half of it up.

Only a quarter of it.

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2007 at 08:05
There was no temptation until the serpent suggested it, it would be like leaving matches in front of a kid and telling them not to play with fire, except they don't know what matches are for. Then an older kid tells them what the matches do and they are tempted.
But if he's the almighty, he would know that there is a risk of doing it, and thus going back to my example. He created the rules and everything in it right? Then he should understand that his creation that took the form of a serpant could and probably would instill temtation into his other creations.
Or is this god not as mighty and all knowledgable as the bible wants us to believe?
God IS fate, God knew that Adam and Eve would disobey him even before they were created, why did he allow them to do this, perhaps it was necessary for the salvation of mankind. It is one of those mysteries of the faith.
So he knew it was going to happen and instead of being a loving parent, he punishes them for something he set in place? Why did he even bother, he could have just gave them this knowledge from the get go.
Or maybe, the writers of the bible just wanted to create a interesting story?
Well...it is the equivalent to his journal...
But when the bible makes some sort o mistake, I always hear the arguement that it was "Written by men who interpretted God's words", always. And then when they need it to prove a point, it's their god's word thats in this book.

Only a quarter of it.
lol Good one.LOL

Edited by SearchAndDestroy - 22-Jun-2007 at 08:05
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2007 at 08:36
My favourite one is " What God really meant to say was".

The universal get out clause when hoisted by your own bible.

Edited by Paul - 22-Jun-2007 at 08:36
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2007 at 12:29

But when the bible makes some sort o mistake, I always hear the arguement that it was "Written by men who interpretted God's words", always. And then when they need it to prove a point, it's their god's word thats in this book.

Those people are hypocrites then, the Bible doesn't make mistakes, and by that I don't mean it doesn't have contradictions and stories that don't synch up. The Bible is the revealed word of God in written form, everything in it is all God wants to be in it, could he be using it as a test or something to root out the truth behind the words, it's possible, but I don't know.

So he knew it was going to happen and instead of being a loving parent, he punishes them for something he set in place? Why did he even bother, he could have just gave them this knowledge from the get go.
Or maybe, the writers of the bible just wanted to create a interesting story?

Firstly, all the stories in genesis before Abraham are lessons in morality. No actual human beings were harmed in the actual story. That being said, yes God did punish Adam and Eve for something he set into play. Most people would call that entrapment, but God's actions weren't really a "punishment". All that happened was they were banished from the garden and told they would die. What this means is that now they had the ability to work on their own, without having to rely on God to provide everything, and no longer being innocent they would now be able to have children, which I think is the main reason for banning from the garden since the garden contained the tree of life, and Billions of immortal people in the world does not sound like a good idea.

Also, God from the moment of creation knew that their disobedience would finally be paid for by himself, by Jesus dying on the cross, so it's a no harm no foul situation.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>