Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Malaysian Women Have Rights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Malaysian Women Have Rights
    Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 13:35
Originally posted by morticia

In a recent landmark decision, the Malaysia Court of Appeal ruled that women have rights and should not be treated as chattel (all women had previously been treated as chattel following an English case law from 1858). The appeal was brought by a babysitter, Heng Gek Kiau, who had been ordered by the High Court to transfer a single story semi-detached house (where she resided) over to her wealthy Singaporean lover, Goh Koon Suan, after he claimed said house as his property and said his mistress (Kiau) only held it in trust for him. She refused and appealed the case. The appellate decision is groundbreaking in that it ordered Goh Suan to deed the house over to Heng, thus, giving a mistress rights for the first time. Suan claimed that he bought the house for his mistress to live in, but she said that she maintained and paid for all the utilities, rent and assessments.

Source: http://www.malaysianbar.org.my/content/view/9369/2/

Thats not very sporting of Goh Koon Suan, the rules of SE Asian culture are; you get a minor wife, you put her a house of her own and support her in it, and when you're are finished together the place is hers.

That's the whole reason women become minor wives in the first place, to get the house. She simply went to court to defend her cultural rights.

The whole system of SE Asian men being allowed to have minor wives could fall apart if the men ask for their houses back. Fortunately for them this verdict will ensure the tradition long continues.

Edited by Paul - 17-Jun-2007 at 13:37
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 07:23
You know I could tell this was a silly thread just from the title.

Of course Malaysian women have rights! Its a civilised country.
all women had previously been treated as chattel following an English case law from 1858

Possibly there was some antique law of this sort, but women have not been treated like chattel for a very long time (at least).

Really, I don't know why your interested in property disputes between a broken up couple. I'm half tempted to find a domes... actually I am going to do that.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 12:32
In a recent landmark decision, the Malaysia Court of Appeal ruled that women have rights and should not be treated as chattel (all women had previously been treated as chattel following an English case law from 1858). The appeal was brought by a babysitter, Heng Gek Kiau, who had been ordered by the High Court to transfer a single story semi-detached house (where she resided) over to her wealthy Singaporean lover, Goh Koon Suan, after he claimed said house as his property and said his mistress (Kiau) only held it in trust for him. She refused and appealed the case. The appellate decision is groundbreaking in that it ordered Goh Suan to deed the house over to Heng, thus, giving a mistress rights for the first time. Suan claimed that he bought the house for his mistress to live in, but she said that she maintained and paid for all the utilities, rent and assessments.

Source: http://www.malaysianbar.org.my/content/view/9369/2/
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
 Post Reply Post Reply