Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMexican view on general Santa Anna

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mexican view on general Santa Anna
    Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 17:08
Originally posted by hugoestr

Well, to be fair, Tommy, the Anglo immigrants were not following the rules by which they got in the land to begin with. And their cultural institutions clashed with Mexican ones.

Moslems in Europe anyone?

Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 17:10
Originally posted by pinguin

Originally posted by tommy

American had a  traditional value of democratic government, Santa Anna abolished the constitution created an excuse for American to revolt

How come a country, like the United States of those days, that kept a third of its population in the condition of slavery could be democratic? Ouch

How is it that 5th cent. BC Greece, the cradle of democracy, kept slaves?  And probably half the population.

It is not that simple.  If it were, it would be easy to discuss, but its not.

Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 17:42

Yes, "Americans" always make excusses to attack and invade countries in Latin America and the accross the world. 2 million vietnamesses also died because of the fight for "American freedom", you know.

But with the invasion and anexation of half Mexico, the U.S. made a big mistake. Today they have already 50 million Hispanics in the U.S., Most of which are Mexicans, living in the same territories theis country lost long time ago.

Anti-Gringo arguments as usual.  How boring.

The "half of Mexico" in question was virtually unpopulated, except for California - a huge area with a few hundred thousand people, remote from Mexico and not particularly in love with Santa Ana and the Mexican military elites.  There was virtually no resistance to the US in California, so who did the US "wrong?"

Was it the prairie dogs in New Mexico or the cacti in Arizona?

The hispanic population in the US is about 11% (about 30 million), and a lot of them have been here for many generations, some longer than the Anglos.

This stuff about foreigners being some kind of vague threat to America if they settle here is non sequitur.  A hundred years ago, the hordes of immigrants to America helped to make us a major power.  We could not have achieved that without them.

My own family was a mix of German Lutheran, Hungarian Catholic and Ulster Presbyterian.  The best man at my wedding was Italian; my wife is a Welsh/English Methodist.  My freshman and sophomore roomate at university was from (ahem) Mexico.  He majored in architecture and stayed here.

We are Western people.  And yes, Mexicans are Western - not European, but Western.  They work hard, they tend to be more devout Christians, and they have obvious intelligence and initiative.

I am not the least bit concerned about more Americans named Garcia and Martinez.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 26-Jun-2007 at 19:02
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 17:45

Yet, the U.S. still controls the American South West It wasn't a mistake in the long term. It was unjust, but not a mistake.

Ah, Hugo, I knew you were a geopolitical realist.  Wink

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 18:09
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

The hispanic population in the US is about 11% (about 30 million), and a lot of them have been here for many generations, some longer than the Anglos.

Sorry fellow, that percentage was in the 1990. LOL Today is reaching 15% or even more. 25% of the U.S. people will be Hispanic by 2050.

Pinguin

Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 18:13

Sorry fellow, that percentage was in the 1990. LOL Today is reaching 15% or even more. 25% of the U.S. people will be Hispanic by 2050.

Pinguin

In view of my post, what's your point?

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 18:18
oopps. I though you were anti-Mexican LOL.

Yeah. It doesn't matter much. There are more things in common between Mexicans and Americans that people usually realize.

Pinguin
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 18:27

Yet, the U.S. still controls the American South West It wasn't a mistake in the long term. It was unjust, but not a mistake.

Ah, Hugo, I knew you were a geopolitical realist. Wink

He, he. Normally I feel better debating from the point of view of ethics. I am more at home there. But I can understand the point of view of the bottom line. Besides, my geopolitical realism gets me in trouble sometimes; people believe that I am supporting unethical leaders when I don't .
Piedmon_Sama View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2007 at 21:36

Yes, "Americans" always make excusses to attack and invade countries in Latin America and the accross the world. 2 million vietnamesses also died because of the fight for "American freedom", you know.

But with the invasion and anexation of half Mexico, the U.S. made a big mistake. Today they have already 50 million Hispanics in the U.S., Most of which are Mexicans, living in the same territories theis country lost long time ago.

Just goes to show how much difference that "war" ultimately made.... both the Spanish and English speaking populations have continued to live in the area regardless of who administrated it.  The Mexican-American war truly was a needless conflict.
Charizard9999 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2017 at 13:34
Originally posted by

Just to add something anecdotical about Santa Anna. I read somewhere that he was the guy that make popular bubble gum.

Where did you get this wrong piece of fictional information.Angry
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2017 at 15:52
This thread is 10 years old. None of the folks involved are still active.

Your welcome to open a new thread, but this one will be closed, "Read Only".
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12