Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMexican view on general Santa Anna

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mexican view on general Santa Anna
    Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 14:03

I am very interested how do Mexican people view the role of general Santa Anna? Judging from American movies, he is nothing more but a cruel dictator. Is the attitude of the Mexican people the same?

Σαυρομάτης
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 14:28
No, in Mexico he is never depicted as a cruel person.

Instead he is depicted as a corrupt and incompetent general who lost half of Mexico.

It is unfair to depict him as an incompetent general since he was one of the most able generals of Mexico at the time. This is why he was called to duty every time that Mexico was threatened by a foreign invader.

He was also really good at getting into power. He was president of Mexico something like 11 times. Unfortunately he wasn't into governing; getting there was the thrill.

And he had an amazing sense to where the political winds and power was blowing. He was a champion of liberals during some periods and conservatives in others.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 14:52
Originally posted by hugoestr

No, in Mexico he is never depicted as a cruel person.

Instead he is depicted as a corrupt and incompetent general who lost half of Mexico.

It is unfair to depict him as an incompetent general since he was one of the most able generals of Mexico at the time. This is why he was called to duty every time that Mexico was threatened by a foreign invader.

He was also really good at getting into power. He was president of Mexico something like 11 times. Unfortunately he wasn't into governing; getting there was the thrill.

And he had an amazing sense to where the political winds and power was blowing. He was a champion of liberals during some periods and conservatives in others.

But he is still not regarded as a talented general, right?  Do Mexican people blame him in the defeat in Mexican-American war?
Σαυρομάτης
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 15:02
Yes, they blame him for the lost of Texas and the defeat in the Mexican-American war. I agree that he is mostly responsible for Texas; with the Mexican-American war, he is only partially responsible from my point of view.

In fact, most of his positive traits and successes are overshadowed by the negative view that Mexicans have for him.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 15:11
Thank you very much for your comments !
Σαυρομάτης
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 15:32
You are welcome! Now for my shameless self promotion: If you are interested in Mexican topics, you can check also my new project about Mexico, so far, it is mainly about culture :)mexforum
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 15:37
Originally posted by hugoestr

You are welcome! Now for my shameless self promotion: If you are interested in Mexican topics, you can check also my new project about Mexico, so far, it is mainly about culture :)mexforum

Great ! I'll do that.
Σαυρομάτης
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 15:53
Thanks!
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 20:56

Just to add something anecdotical about Santa Anna. I read somewhere that he was the guy that make popular bubble gum.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 22:07
Originally posted by pinguin

Just to add something anecdotical about Santa Anna. I read somewhere that he was the guy that make popular bubble gum.

How did you come upon that bit of trivia?  Did he collect the baseball cards too?  Tongue

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 14-Jun-2007 at 22:08
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 11:08
Yes, I read this as well. In was in a historical comic strip when I read about it. During one of many exiles, he took with him chicle gum, which was the sap from a Mexican tree, with to the U.S.. Santa Anna meets a man called Thomas Adams, to whom he suggests that he could make tires out of this gum, which the people in Yucatan chewed. Thomas Adams tried, but failed. He still had tons of chicle left, and one day he saw a girl asking for chewing gum. He decided to sell the chicle left as chewing gum.

The rest, is history.

Adams' history timeline page
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 11:19
The lost of Texas showed his incompetent.He tactics was not good.The attack of Alamo was a disaster, it weakened the strengh of his army, and enhanced the fighting spirit of America,and when he was captured by houston, he used Texas to exchange of his life.He was not in appor situation at first, or we can say ,his situation was good,USA did not helped the rebellious Lone star republic,this important, If I were him, I would surrounded Alamo in full alert, bot did not attack the fort,this might attract other American to resuce the fort, then i attacked the resuce,if there was no resuce, Alamo finally would fell.And I would not chase Houston with small army, they knew the place well, otherwise I ould set up a chain of forts to reduce their space of activity, and burning their village, ranch and town, arousing the Native  American and black slaves to fight against them
tHIS MIGHT MAINTAIN tEXAS
leung
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 13:30
A big problem with Santa Anna was a common mistake made by politicians and military people: the belief that you can terrorize people into submission. The theory is that if you show excessive force, they will be afraid of you and stop revolting.

It almost never works. Just ask all of the people who have lived through that; they have generational hatred towards the aggressors.

And at the time, it pushes moderates into strongly opposing the cruel leaders. And this was the case in Texas.

More than any military failure, El Alamo was a public relationship mistake. Without it, it would have been harder for Americans to support the English speaking Texans.
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 13:35
American had a  traditional value of democratic government, Santa Anna abolished the constitution created an excuse for American to revolt
leung
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 15:43
Well, to be fair, Tommy, the Anglo immigrants were not following the rules by which they got in the land to begin with. And their cultural institutions clashed with Mexican ones.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 19:17
Originally posted by tommy

American had a  traditional value of democratic government, Santa Anna abolished the constitution created an excuse for American to revolt

How come a country, like the United States of those days, that kept a third of its population in the condition of slavery could be democratic? Ouch
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2007 at 10:56
I forgot explain the term of "deomcratic" of this period, meaning the liberty of all white male under the guidence of constitution, so they had the excuse after the abolished of constitution of 1821, the American even stated they only fought against General himself, in  order to safeguard the constitution and their right, but not pointing to Mexician.
leung
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2007 at 12:45
Yes, "Americans" always make excusses to attack and invade countries in Latin America and the accross the world. 2 million vietnamesses also died because of the fight for "American freedom", you know.

But with the invasion and anexation of half Mexico, the U.S. made a big mistake. Today they have already 50 million Hispanics in the U.S., Most of which are Mexicans, living in the same territories theis country lost long time ago.

Edited by pinguin - 16-Jun-2007 at 12:46
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 10:33
the big mistake is not only that, with the taking of the large Mexician land, the balance of North and South was destoryed, and led to civil war,this was why Jackson did not support the Lone Star republic, as well as so many opposed the Us-Mexician war, such as John Adams Junior, the sixth president of USA
leung
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 13:33
Yet, the U.S. still controls the American South West It wasn't a mistake in the long term. It was unjust, but not a mistake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>