Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your Worst and Best Byzantine Emperor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Worst and Best Byzantine Emperor?
    Posted: 06-Jul-2007 at 10:30
I know on AE we typically let threads develop in whatever direction members take them - but I would like this thread to remain about the best and worst Emperors of Byzantium. If someone wishes to debate the morality of Basil II after Kleidion/Cimbalongus then feel free to start a new thread on that and we can take up the topic there. Thankyou.
Constantin V Isauros View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Constantin V Isauros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2018 at 13:10
Constantine V desrves to be the in top 5, if not no1. He secured byzantine frontiers agains the arabs and bulgars decisively beating them in numerous battles. Put the empire on the offensive, giving it breathing room. He also repaired Constantinople after a huge earthquake. Constantine formed the tagmata, the emperors personal retinue that was always on the ready, consisting of the empires best soldiers. These troops alloud quick mobilisation and counter attacks against the empires enemies. The only flaw of his reign is his harsh iconoclast policies, that forbid the venitration of icons. 
Overall he was a great emperor fixing the empires problems and setting the stage for the macedonian golden age.

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Constantin V Isauros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2018 at 13:22
As for the best:
1) Constantine V
2) Leo III
3) Heraklios
4) Alexios Komnenos
5) Basil II
Worst:
1) Alexios Angelos
2) Romanos IV
3) Justinian II
4) Justinian I
5) Manuel Komnenos
I know the last 2 are contriversial but listen. Justinian made the empire bankrupt and weak, which lead to the rise of the sassanids. Manuel was too ambitions and achirving nothing in the end. In his useless campaignes he wasted manpower and ruined foreign relations with the papacy and hungary. Both are overrated and Phokas, well he is hated too much on. Because of Herakleoses revolt the empite destabelised and weakend and lead to the capture of syria, asia minor and egypt. This all happened during Heraleos' reign not Phokas'.

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Constantin V Isauros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2018 at 13:24
Lol, i put Herakleos at number 3. I replace him with Nikephoros Phokas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12