Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Multiple wives often misunderstood, Musli

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiple wives often misunderstood, Musli
    Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 02:00
Originally posted by Reginmund

I don't like that outlook, Jagiello. I believe that, ideally, you should be able to live both the one way or the other, in whatever country you choose. This is a pipedream of course and far from the reality, but it remains an ideal and I would never speak in favour of anything else.

As for Sharia law, I really don't see a problem with Muslims regulating marriage, divorce and inheritance affairs managed among themselves, as this is a private matter anyway. Of course, I would ask whether it's really necessary, I'd think most modern courts these days handle such matters just as well if not better than some local religious community made up of who knows who. Then again, one could argue that it should at least be an alternative for those who desire it.
Exactly. An as for the Sharia Courts, they are unecessary, local courts could handle its perfectly, in countries where you have sperete personal codes, it is still the local courts that enforce them.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 02:36
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

I'm not sure your reading what your writing edgewaters, at least twice in this thread you have strongly disagreed with someone by backing up their arguement.

And before you oppose something, you should probably find out what it is. I get the feeling your just venting randonmly. For example, sharia does not allow you to have 14 wives. It doesn't allow you to have 14 girlfriends either, which is perfectly legal in the western system.
Actually western culture has always permitted polygamy, it just never legalised it.

Western cultures still permit it, under the guise of a "girlfriend," however, while those children only recently had any legal status, while on the other hand such men that were inclined to multiple partners had to also oblige the laws, and that also means that all involved including the children had legal protection. I don't necessarily agree with polygamy, I believe in love based relationships, but better that than being a bastard nevertheless.
Polygamy or not there always were and will be men that will have multiple partners, polygamy just gave the other parties a legal say as well.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 07:50
Well, here the law does not believe in 'bastard' children. Children born out of marriage are just as whole as other kids. If the father recognises it, he has parental rights, if he does not, the mother can still force him to pay for it I believe, though I never looked into the specifics.

Personally I believe legal marriage is obsolete anyway. It should be a private business of people to decide to live together or not.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 11:41
Well, it is OK, though as long as the wives have no problems with it...It may come strange to many ears, but as long as the involved people are happy, there are no problems.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 12:23
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Well, here the law does not believe in 'bastard' children. Children born out of marriage are just as whole as other kids. If the father recognises it, he has parental rights, if he does not, the mother can still force him to pay for it I believe, though I never looked into the specifics.

Personally I believe legal marriage is obsolete anyway. It should be a private business of people to decide to live together or not.

I was more talking in a historical perspective. Now most law codes with enough sense in them would allow all children the same rights.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 14:56
Actually no, in several cases still the children may no inherit.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2007 at 01:05

I'm not sure your reading what your writing edgewaters, at least twice
in this thread you have strongly disagreed with someone by backing up
their arguement.

I think you're getting confused between contexts here - integration on an international level (where cultures integrate across national borders) and integration on a national level (where we're talking about something happening within the framework of a single country). They're two very different issues. A global cultural framework is, in my opinion, undesirable - cultures should not have to integrate to some global common denominator. However, within a nation, individuals and foreign cultures should operate within the framework of that culture. Not assimilate necessarily, but operate within that framework and within the boundaries of that culture.

It doesn't allow you to have 14 girlfriends either, which is perfectly legal in the western system.
Actually western culture has always permitted polygamy, it just never legalised it.

No. Having many girlfriends isn't the same as having many wives. There's no lifelong commitment. What's defined in law isn't a sexual relationship (you could be married even though your genitals were destroyed in an accident, for instance), but a familial institution, whereby two unrelated persons become related. That's just not the case with having a girlfriend, so as far as the law is concerned, there's nothing there to legalize in any sense like marriage. They aren't an economic unit of any sort, they don't hold property in common, there's no familial relationship that would allow the one to visit the other in critical condition at the hospital, inheiritance is not an issue, and so on.

Edited by edgewaters - 13-Jun-2007 at 01:27
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2007 at 15:02

Up to 4 wifes were allowed that time because Muslims were continulally in the defense of their newly-emerged religion for that time... Many wars left many women widow, as their husbands died in the defense of Islam. These widows were poor, very strongly in need of a man who would protect them, who would satisfy their needs... The male/female ratio was so dramatically in favour of females that up to 4 wifes were allowed with strict conditions, I read once.

I AM STRONGLY AGAINST POLYGAMY of the fact that, the number of men alredy outnumber women. If some very rich and very handsome guys would take 4 wifes, what will other men do? They will also be in need of a soul-mate. Polygamy will increase social prblems.

REMEMBER! UNEQUAL STATUS  BREEDS PREJUDICE!
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 08:29

I agree, but I've had this discussion many times, and whenever I say what you just did I'm confronted with the argument that marriage is a way of "sealing the deal", a sort of semi-guarantee the partner won't run away just like that. Now, I don't have a problem with a ritual and spiritual marking of a long-term commitment with a partner, which marriage in all its forms is, but I do have a problem with the idea that without this ritual, it is more legitimate to break up a relationship, or vice versa. If two people decide to be together, the fundament must be an emotional commitment to each other (not legal, spiritual, ritual or whatever), and if this emotional commitment doesn't prove strong enough, then they absolutely should seperate and not live out their lives in misery merely because they've gone through some mumbo-jumbo ceremony.

I know some people are just burning to throw the "what about the children!?" argument at me now, but no, children generally get by divorces quite well and grow up to be upstanding members of society. As for those who do not handle it well, this is not because of the seperation of the parents itself but the hostile nature between them and the way they handle the situation. It would in any case not have been for the better of the child if they stayed together (asmarried couples are just as good at messing up children).

Edited by Reginmund - 14-Jun-2007 at 08:30
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 08:50

I have also heard the argument that legal marriage is to ensure that one partenr does not runa away and leaves the other. But I wonder, if a legal document is all that keeps ones partner by ones side, why on earth would one want him/her? What use is a person who only sticks to your side because they cannot leave?

The Diplomat, I am not particulary in favor of polygamy, as it is in general not a very balanced union between the various parties. But not in every country there are more men than women, and I would like to once again repeat that to many women, being the exclusive focus of a man's attention is way more important than money, status or looks.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 23:51
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

Up to 4 wifes were allowed that time because Muslims were continulally in the defense of their newly-emerged religion for that time... Many wars left many women widow, as their husbands died in the defense of Islam. These widows were poor, very strongly in need of a man who would protect them, who would satisfy their needs... The male/female ratio was so dramatically in favour of females that up to 4 wifes were allowed with strict conditions, I read once.

I AM STRONGLY AGAINST POLYGAMY of the fact that, the number of men alredy outnumber women. If some very rich and very handsome guys would take 4 wifes, what will other men do? They will also be in need of a soul-mate. Polygamy will increase social prblems.

REMEMBER! UNEQUAL STATUS  BREEDS PREJUDICE!

I find myself agreeing with this. The reason Mohammad accepted polygamy as part of Islam is that he was a pragmatist, the Arabs had long accepted polygamy anyway and the constant tribal fighting left many women widowed and in need of support. Polygamy solved this problem. All Mohammad did is limit the number to 4, previously it could be much higher.

I do wonder to what extent today's man, with so many pressures on him and lack of time, can really give four wives the love and attention each deserved from a life partner.

Also i disagree that polygamy is just like having 14 girlfriends except legally recognised. When a couple enter a marriage, they enter into a contract between the pair of them and society as a whole. In understanding their commitment to one another, society grants these partners certain legal and economic privileges which are not reserved for other sorts of partnerships. Your 14 girlfriends will not have a say in whether to pull the plug on you if you are on life support in hospital, or get a stake in your inheritance if you die. Your wife will. A legal marriage is very different than a non-married girlfriend. You don't have to do a thing for your girlfriends if you don't want to, a legal marriage compels you to undertake a duty of care.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 04:31
I do not know about other countries, but here, the only real difference marriage makes is in inheritage laws. And you can make sure your girlfriend does inherit by making a will.

There is also something called a registrated partnership, which makes the law recognise you as a couple without a full legal marriage. This will make the other the first point of contact in calamities (such as the plugpulling you mentioned) and other such things, but with the benefit of needing only a visit to the town hall to break the bond.

So in many respects, marriage is obsolete in this country. The only reason people still marry for is the sense of belonging together. And, in no small part, the dress and the party. I think you might as well have just the party and belong to each other in private, where it matters.

DesertHistorian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote DesertHistorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 14:54
This is very true, as even today there are small pockets (communities) of fundamentalist Mormons that have broken away from the mainstream LDS church and continue to practice polygamy as Joseph Smith taught.
There is a very good book on this and some of the problems and issues that have arisen from the fundamentalist Mormons called "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer.

Originally posted by JanusRook

[QUOTE]

The fact that the mainline LDS church changed doctrine in order for Utah to be admitted as a state doesn't mean that the morals of that region instantly changed.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 16:51
Multiple wives often misunderstood, Muslims say

Heh, i'd have trouble trying to understand just one of them.
Arrrgh!!"
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2007 at 16:23
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

REMEMBER! UNEQUAL STATUS BREEDS PREJUDICE!

I tend to agree and plus I would not want my affection aimed towards more than one woman; such as my current girlfriend and hopefully future wife.

What this Mormon sect in Southern Utah did was totally illegal and yes they went to jail.

Edited by eaglecap - 22-Jun-2007 at 23:42
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 07:12

I do not know about other countries, but here, the only real difference marriage makes is in inheritage laws. And you can make sure your girlfriend does inherit by making a will.

You can make your dog the beneficiary of your will, too. Marriage goes beyond that and gives a default benefit in the absence of a will, because marriage creates a legal familial status between two people and only family (eg parents, children, etc) have any claim on an estate in the absence of a will.

I'm sure there are tax laws related to marriage in the Netherlands, not to mention family law that deals with property in the event of a breakup. It's not just inheiritance. In a marriage, the partners hold property in common and in the absence of a contract like a pre-nuptial agreement, are assumed to share possession of things like bank accounts, houses, vehicles, and so on. A girlfriend doesn't have a claim on her boyfriend's house when they break up, nor does the boyfriend have any custody or visitation rights regarding any children the pair may have had. And that's just skimming the surface of family law, there's much, much more. So, no, marriage and a simple romantic relationship are much further apart in law than simply inheiritance. Marriage defines an actual economic unit not unlike a business such as a company or corporation in law, but a boyfriend and girlfriend are simply individuals with no particular economic relationship unless they enter into one, such as a business partnership or contract. Even if they live together they are no different than roommates in law.

So, there's alot more to it than simple inheiritance and it is a totally unique legal institution; there's nothing else that can make two unrelated persons family, no other kind of partnership in law where all property is held in common or where two people are treated as a unit for taxes. Even contract law and business partnerships do not go as far. Socially speaking some people may consider it little different than a romantic fling, but in law, marriage is far from a simple inheiritance contract.

Edited by edgewaters - 25-Jun-2007 at 07:26
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 07:53
A girlfriend doesn't have a claim on her boyfriend's house when they break up, nor does the boyfriend have any custody or visitation rights regarding any children the pair may have had.

Who the house belongs to depends on whose name it is. If an unmarried couple buy a house with both their names on the contract, both have the right to half of it when they split up legally. And when the father has oficially recognised his children he defenatly has custody and visiting rights! I mean come on, don't be silly, they are his kids, no marriage is going to change it! There is a lot of people who have kids without marrying, it makes no difference at all. If this is not so elsewhere, bummer to them.

Legally, there are advantages in taxes and all that, but I think it is really sad when people marry so they get to pay less tax... and it does not differ much in anything else. 

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 08:21

I

Incorrect. For example, in Sweden it was illegal until (together with all non-marital sex) 1937, and the punishment was usually hard.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 25-Jun-2007 at 09:10
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 08:29

Who the house belongs to depends on whose name it is. If an unmarried couple buy a house with both their names on the contract, both have the right to half of it when they split up legally.

Yes, but in marriage they hold it in common, regardless of whose name is on it, unless they have made a pre-nuptial agreement.

Anyone can agree to hold some property in common. People can even enter into extensive partnerships regarding property. But it's not assumed as it is in marriage. Where the corporation creates the legal fiction of a person, marriage is a similar institution in that it creates the legal fiction of a single person where there are actually two. There is no other all-embracing legal partnership which is so comprehensive as to assume such a singularity of personhood.

And when the father has oficially recognised his children he defenatly has custody and visiting rights!

Legally speaking? Nope. Here a boyfriend-father can't even demand that the mother submit her children to determine paternity. Even if she does agree that they're his, she doesn't have to allow him to see them. And on the flip side of the coin, he has no alimony obligations to the mother. There's just nothing there in law - no obligations to any of these things, except in marriage.

it does not differ much in anything else.

Taxes, inheiritance, property, children, alimony, divorce settlement, a complete economic institution nearly as legally complex as the corporation ... yeah, it's just a wee bit different from having a high school date. Just a little.

Whether people in this day and age decide to use it or not, in law it's still quite a bit different from just about anything else. It defines an economic unit, just like the corporation, and it is an entire branch of law unto itself, with many complex regulations.

Some people enter into marriage without really appreciating its legal implications, and then are surprised at how sticky and complex the legalities are when divorce comes up. Maybe they just wanted the party and the ceremony and didn't think ahead, I don't know.

Edited by edgewaters - 25-Jun-2007 at 08:49
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 08:50
Originally posted by edgewaters

Who the house belongs to depends on whose name it is. If an unmarried couple buy a house with both their names on the contract, both have the right to half of it when they split up legally.

Yes, but in marriage they hold it in common, regardless of whose name is on it, unless they have made a pre-nuptial agreement.

Anyone can agree to hold some property in common. People can even enter into extensive partnerships regarding property. But it's not assumed as it is in marriage. Where the corporation creates the legal fiction of a person, marriage is a similar institution in that it creates the legal fiction of a single person where there are actually two. You could, potentially, do many of these things outside of marriage - not all of them, but some, and it would probably take more than a few lengthy contracts - but there is no other all-embracing legal partnership which is so comprehensive as to assume such a singularity of personhood.

So marriage is for the lazy. A quick way to settle your finacial affairs? Get real, that is just the side effect. How pathetic to marry for money.

And when the father has oficially recognised his children he defenatly has custody and visiting rights!

Legally speaking? Nope. Here a boyfriend-father can't even demand that the mother submit her children to determine paternity. Even if she does agree that they're his, she doesn't have to allow him to see them. And on the flip side of the coin, he has no alimony obligations to the mother. There's just nothing there in law - no obligations to any of these things, except in marriage.

Where you live perhaps, not here. Our government does recognise paternal rights. If he accepts the child as his, he can get custody, and he has to pay alimony after a breakup. I am sorry for you if your government does not recognise these rights. After all, it is the children who will suffer from such a Victorian Age mentality. Sad. Again.

it does not differ much in anything else.

Taxes, inheiritance, property, children, alimony, divorce settlement, a complete economic institution nearly as legally complex as the corporation ... yeah, it's just a wee bit different from having a high school date. Just a little.

I am sorry you cannot see the point here. Really don't know how to make it more clear. To marry for any of the above reasons is stupid. They can all be taken care of in other ways, none of them as complicated as you seem to think. If this is not so in the US, more the pity for you. Did you ever realise that if people would not get married over really sad reasons like tax benefits and social pressure, divorcerates would go down immensely? Marriage is nice and all that, but perhaps people should consider the alternatives instead of taking the easy way.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 25-Jun-2007 at 08:57

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>