Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finno-Ugrian impact on Russian ethnos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 29>
Author
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finno-Ugrian impact on Russian ethnos
    Posted: 24-Jan-2009 at 21:50
Originally posted by Arekushii

So by thiese posts, in these paragraphs it's quite clear that slavic tribes were far more stronger; another example of it can be Moscowite's states expansion into Siberia, eventually absorbing natives and forming them like the main nation of that state - Russians, however logically it's up to the tribes to decice whether to accept the culture from their conquerers or try to gain autonomious rights, like Tatars did. Moreover that article states that by settling in the territories of FU tribes Slavic tribes cannot be considered as a pureblood FUs, therefore marking them as a mixture of both (maybe more, I don't have any rescources to back up this, but I have heard that post-Ainu tribes lived in the Uralic territories for quite a large period of time.
I believe that modern Russians are not Finns, they're not purebloods, surely they have some genetic features and borrowings from FU, but marking them as Finns isn't wise, for sanity's sake I'd dare to call Russians a total mixtures of the nearby tribes. (Pureblood = having a distinctive part of a chromosome which covers more than 80% of one's genetic background)

P.S. geopolitically it's quite popular to claim their country's territory cut thus making a clear statement that there was a Greater something, I'm against these practices in politics because of their dangerous outcome, nowadays boundaries should be preserved as their are, declaring their sovereignity of territorial composition is a far better idea than making stories of once upon a time Greater country from Baltics to Black sea..

The whole point of this thread is just to discuss whether the role of FU people as a contributing element of the modern Russian people/nation was greater than is conventially thought.
Σαυρομάτης
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2009 at 06:26
Originally posted by Tuohikirje

Also Gothland and Finland share the origin by recent genetic studies.

Actually very interesting. Do you have any reference to this survey?

Edited by Boreasi - 25-Jan-2009 at 06:28
Be good or be gone.
Arekushii View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Arekushii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2009 at 11:14
From the begining of 9th century Finland experienced quite a decent influence from their neighbours - Swedes, Kievan Rus' at that moment started to re-adopt their religious issue, and in 988 their religion, as you know, was changed to Christianity; means the were backed up by Byzantines, assimilating their culture and traditions (both religious and ethnic) vastly developed their own culture, means, Finns and Rus' were "divided" among Byzantine empire and Swedish "sphere" of influence. But we know that Finland accept the latin script, but not general swedish traditions (although as far as I understand Swedes tried to change the minds of Finns into the likes if Swedish ones, means assimilation not integration..)
Quite a number of wars waged trained Ru's warriors to a degree where they could wage a war large enough, but ONLY as a united Kievan Rus', we all know what happened afterwords when it was divided into little countries.. Mongolic reign in other words. Therefore since Ru's adopted Christianity they gained quite a decent superiority over the FU tribes in a cultural way (note that Rus' waged few successful wars against Byzantines). Blood question? Surely evidence is quite clear that Northern Russians have that distinctive mark, but they neither talk nor think in Finnish, claiming that they are Finns is just illogical to me. Ancestry? maybe yes, but that maybe is more like who the f**king hell knows? because there are no decent information about it, both historical, genetical and linguistical, surely people have tried to analyse it, but these records are so far from this topic, that if you try to find proof from various information sources it might lead this topic to a new one like "Are Russians Poles?" for instance.

All in all, I strongly disagree that current Russians can be classified as Finns or any other ethnic group, we have a nowaday result, Russians speak and think in Russian, not in any other language..  And about contribution, every ethnic group contributes to their neighbours, I don't think that FU people were the MAIN contributers, but pieces of their culture are a part of Russian culture fr sure!(saunas for instance now, I love saunas myself, godly things..)

Edited by Arekushii - 25-Jan-2009 at 11:18
Tuohikirje View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Tuohikirje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2009 at 12:26

DNA Tribes Database and ancient Finnic names of places. I would be interested to hear what you find out about the matter.

Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Tuohikirje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2009 at 12:42
And vice versa. Keeping in mind that Uralic language speakers were the first inhabitants in the area. It was not allways easy to get a foothold, stories tell that in Eura when a small group of Franks (or a similar group, not yet proven 100% who) moved to the Western Finland, there "was blood up to peoples ankles everywhere". The Swedish could not do it until the late 13th century and were allies even with some Finnic groups agains another Finnic groups. Every group got in between the battle of religions and under Christianisation attempts. The Rus were also FU people, there were 2 influental groups e.g. Kolbjagit (FU) and Varangians (multinational). Nobody is claiming that modern Russians think or talk in Finnish, others than FU groups who have survived the russification attempts. I would say that geneology gives proof what you cannot bias if the chance beeing wrong is 1 compared to millions. Also genes vary within Russia depending on the place what we are talking about, not everybody's origin is identical. Language is also not linked to genes 100%. The oldest inhabitants of Northern Europe are FU people, the Samis and the Basque, there is no question about. Has not been for a long time.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2009 at 17:04

The Rus were also FU people, there were 2 influental groups e.g. Kolbjagit (FU) and Varangians (multinational).

Rus were Germanic/Scandinavian people this is the only strong evidence we have regarding this people.

Who are Kolbjagit?
Σαυρομάτης
Arekushii View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Arekushii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2009 at 18:50
I believe that there's quite a strong propaganda which tries to note a direct relation between cultural and political boundaries.. my final word is: I am not trying to say that FU tribes weren't influental but by any means, at this present moment, if there were any tribes FU origin speaking Old Bulgarian, nowadays they're totally assimilated, therefore stating that they're Finns is wrong. Thus a clear fact that FU tribes were one of the main contributors to future Russian nation is obvious, genetics is useless: A RUSSIAN THINKS AND SPEAKS IN RUSSIAN, NOT IN FINNISH, SO THEY CANNOT BE FINNS.
To add I'm quite disappointed in myself and in you guys, I myself haven't found any decently reliable sources.. sucks.. :(
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Tuohikirje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2009 at 21:02

The Kylfings (Old Norse Kylfingar; Old East Slavic Колбяги, "Kolbiagi"; Byzantine Greek Κουλπίγγων, "Koulpiggon") were a people of uncertain origin who lived in Scandinavia during the Viking Age, and could be found in areas of Lapland, Russia, and the Byzantine Empire frequented by Scandinavian traders, raiders and mercenaries. They were mentioned on Old Norse runestone inscriptions, sagas (most notably in Egil's Saga), and poetry, as well as Byzantine records and Rus' law-codes, in which they were afforded economic and social privileges. They opposed the consolidation of Norway under Harald Fairhair and probably participated in the pivotal Battle of Hafrsfjord. Scholars differ on whether the Kylfings were of Finnic or Norse origin, whether they originated in Denmark, Sweden or the Eastern Baltic, or whether the name denotes a particular tribal, socio-political, or economic grouping.

The same kind of group than the Rus.

Rus means also red, rich traders could afford to have red clothes. Home town Alajoki, later Novgorod and Kiev.

Alajoki, Finnic-Scandinavian trade place. Connections far to the East 750-900 AD. Burned down appx 860 AD (Staraya Ladoga).

Novgorod,  Finnic-Scandinavian-Slavic influental trade place. Appx 50 km from Alajoki to the south along River Olhava. Founded by 2 Slav and 3 Finnic tribes and who called the Rus (Rurik) to govern 862 AD. Connections to Byzantine. The Rus in Kiev and Novgorod.

Kiova, Rus-Slavic state. The Rus as the rouling class and the name started to be used more commonly of all people living in the area. 

If you have better chronological information or more correct information about Kolbjagit, please correct.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2009 at 00:21

The role of these Kylfings in the Ancient Russian history is zero. I don't know any Ancient Russian chronicles writing anything about the relation of this people with Rus.

According to the Russian sources Rus were a group of Varangiangs which is just a name used in Russian lands to designate Vikings, the same fact is confirmed by the Byzantine and Frankish chronicles that noted that Rus is the same people with Normans. It's also confirmed by the first treaty that the Rus prince Oleg  (Helgi in Scandinavian) signed with the Byzantines: 80% of Helgi's Rus people names were Germanic like Karl, Yarl etc. 20% Slavic.

The only other "strong" hypo on the origins of Rus states that they were Slavic, but it doesn't have that much back up as the "Viking" theory has.

Σαυρομάτης
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2009 at 11:48
Originally posted by Sarmat

According to the Russian sources Rus were a group of Varangiangs which is just a name used in Russian lands to designate Vikings, the same fact is confirmed by the Byzantine and Frankish chronicles that noted that Rus is the same people with Normans. It's also confirmed by the first treaty that the Rus prince Oleg  (Helgi in Scandinavian) signed with the Byzantines: 80% of Helgi's Rus people names were Germanic like Karl, Yarl etc. 20% Slavic.

Yes, and even the names are not necessarily an indicator as Scandinavians were quick to adopt local names wherever they settled, in Normandy within the first generation.

The only other "strong" hypo on the origins of Rus states that they were Slavic, but it doesn't have that much back up as the "Viking" theory has.

There was an Ukrainian student at my university (Oslo) who wrote a thesis discussing the Normanist and anti-Normanist theories on the origin of the Rus. He concluded that "in the 8th and 9th century there emerged a multiethnic, multilingual, unified social and economic entity represented by the maritime and trading society of the Baltic Sea. It took more than two centuries for the multiethnic and multilingual commercial ventures to shape this into a Christian and linguistically Slavic high culture that came to be the powerful Eastern European Rus' state during the reigns of Sviatoslav, Olha, Volodymyr and Yaroslav."

A summary and the full pdf (click on "fulltekst") can be found here:

http://www.duo.uio.no/sok/work.html?WORKID=7245

Arekushii View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Arekushii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2009 at 16:40
Ok, I'm a liar, so that wasn't my last word, if, by any chance Russians were Finns I'm 100% that at this day, Russia would be a bilingual country, but ethnic composition of that time is quite contraversal, I tend to think that Germanic tribes of Vikings, Danes and etc were far more influental that Finnish ones, and Reginmund's link is pretty justified explanation, at least for me.
Another well example of culture's total assimilation is the fat of Prussians and the fate of Ainus these days, both nations were/are being integrated into other larger ones, Germans and Japanese in this matter are/were far more influental than Prussians, yet the names of lakes and rivers along with city/town names still exist, claiming that Japanese are Ainus and Germans are Prussians is nonsense. The fact that they LIVED still remains obvious, yet the same example of this obviousity cannot be transferred to FU location of tribes in Ladoga, Pskovo-Novgorodian area.
I'd like to add that recently I visited the so called "banned threads" I really think that there's some sort of mistake in banning few people in this thread, either people like Jassas and Sarmat tend to dislike others with VERY different theories or they just like to press report/ban buttons :) Moreover people are quite ignorant to study history without a linguistical background, these two branches of sciences cooperate nicely together with facts; if you need any translations - lithuanian, russian ones, please feel free to tell me it, just for god's sake don't ban others who post it in these two languages. I'm only a newbie translator and my English is fairly poor compared to the native speakers, so forgive me for my mistakes :P
Hope you take my post into consideration and please, when you create topics, name it appropriately, preferably with question tags, it's easier for others with poor English to understand the main idea of one's topic explanation, therefore I propose to close this topic for having no serious background of proof that FU tribes are nowaday Russians, Russians don't know Finnish until they want to study it as a foreign language and vice versa. Hope you get it that if one's ancestry WAS from other tribe he cannot belong to it if he can't think or speak in that language.

Edited by Arekushii - 26-Jan-2009 at 16:56
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Tuohikirje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2009 at 18:18
Varangians. Chronicles indeed did not specify everobody's ethnicity one by one by name. About the Varangian names, they do not also tell the origin of the people. Finns lived in Sweden, Balts in Finland, Norsemen in Russia and so on and there are other ethnic groups than Germanic and Slavic according to names. The Varangians could not swipe the whole land empty. It is clear that everybody looks material based on their interests and miss others, I support the accepted definition of multiethnicity what comes to trade routes to the East. Varangians were not even the first one.
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Tuohikirje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2009 at 18:27

The role of these Kylfings in the Ancient Russian history is zero. I don't know any Ancient Russian chronicles writing anything about the relation of this people with Rus.

Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Tuohikirje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2009 at 18:34
If any history what is written Russian chronicles and Norse sagas is information next to zero to you, I can not argue with your opinion. They were also in Byzantine as Koulpingoi in Greek if I remember right (Russian chronicles Kolbiagi, Finnish Kolbjagit tai Kalpamiehet) in the 11th century and were guards for fur traders. Varangians, guards, Kolbjagit and the Rus. The name comes from a sword.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2009 at 18:42

I'd like to add that recently I visited the so called "banned threads" I really think that there's some sort of mistake in banning few people in this thread, either people like Jassas and Sarmat tend to dislike others with VERY different theories or they just like to press report/ban buttons :)

The only person that was banned in this tread was Mr. aeon. And that happened for his rude behavoir and complete disrespect to the rules of the forum. If you didn't understand for what exactly Mr. aeon was banned please review this thread from the very beginning.

Moreover people are quite ignorant to study history without a linguistical background, these two branches of sciences cooperate nicely together with facts; if you need any translations - lithuanian, russian ones, please feel free to tell me it, just for god's sake don't ban others who post it in these two languages. I'm only a newbie translator and my English is fairly poor compared to the native speakers, so forgive me for my mistakes :P

I don't understand exactly what you mean. But according to the rules of the forum, you can't post in the foreign language unless you provide a translation. period.
Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2009 at 18:50

Hope you take my post into consideration and please, when you create topics, name it appropriately, preferably with question tags, it's easier for others with poor English to understand the main idea of one's topic explanation, therefore I propose to close this topic for having no serious background of proof that FU tribes are nowaday Russians, Russians don't know Finnish until they want to study it as a foreign language and vice versa. Hope you get it that if one's ancestry WAS from other tribe he cannot belong to it if he can't think or speak in that language.

I don't see any difficulties in discussing Finnish roots of Russians while there are many similar topic which are being discussed among historians including Celtic roots of French or English.
Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2009 at 18:52

If any history what is written Russian chronicles and Norse sagas is information next to zero to you, I can not argue with your opinion. They were also in Byzantine as Koulpingoi in Greek if I remember right (Russian chronicles Kolbiagi, Finnish Kolbjagit tai Kalpamiehet) in the 11th century and were guards for fur traders. Varangians, guards, Kolbjagit and the Rus. The name comes from a sword.

I said that the role of these people unlike the role of the Varangians in the Russian history was zero. Please correct me if I'm wrong, with giving an appropriate quotation from the related Ancient Russian source.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Sarmat - 26-Jan-2009 at 19:01
Σαυρομάτης
Arekushii View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Arekushii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2009 at 18:54
Again sorry for my uhm.. lets say bullcrap, was high on sugar again :D

I think you forgot one major thing, Migration period :p 250ish - 750ish, by 750ish years, Kievan Rus' was more or less centralised, yet still weak compared to other states like Frankish Empire and Byzantines, till that moment, in the territories of Noerhn Russia could live any single tribe of mentioned above it, but if my example of Ainus and Prussians don't work on you, then why are you so persistant on developing this theory that Russians are Finns? :x Logically in every territory of trading importance, tribes were mixed like in a melting pot, so obviously Northern Russia was rather a rich mix of everything, like some tasty soup.. :D for instance, you're a Russian who came to USA, you get assimilated pretty quickly, Russian isn't that popular like Spanish for instance, so your second generation loses your culture, you every new generation loses bits and bits of their culture, same happened to FU tribes in Northern Russia, time is a very wicked thing, it destroys people and civilizations, it creates and gives birth to new things, so I really doubt that we may come up to a agreeable consensus :)
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2009 at 19:09
I'm not precisely talking about the results and consequences of cultural assimilation.

However, the very point that a large part of the ancestors of the modern Russian people were FU could bring a very different impression of the Ancient Russian history.

The only points I want to discuss are whether we can know how large was the Finno-Ugrian part of the Ancient Rus ethnical composition and whether we can witness the traces of these possible Finno-Ugrian roots in the Russian culture, civilazation, folklore etc.
Σαυρομάτης
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Tuohikirje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2009 at 22:33
Finno-Ugric people have not lost their culture to this date. Some have, some have not. The biggest group still 1,2 million. Even Putis is apparantly Veps (FU) of origin. You can change language in a generation, you cannot change or destroy genes. Can you. Racial theories about supremacy of one group over another should be left behind. Who says that FU people could have not been influental because they were tribes (?) does not know what he is talking about. Take into account the time and when the Slavs moved to Central and North-West Russia. Of course people had developed societies, FU people were hunters, gatherers, traders, later came agriculture. Not to mention people who have gone through thousands of wars. About the strong Viking orientation in history writing. What you can find depends who wrote it and when. Even Russian chronicles have been changed and corrected. They are not original writings. Archeologial findings can be misinterpreted. In Finland we found Franks swords e.g. and there is geneologially Anglo-Saxian small concentration in men Y chrom in Western Finland. What comes to Finno-Ugric sagas and epics, they were passed on orally from generation to generation and quite late gathered to a some sort of written form. Still Finns know their Tapios and Ahtis through stories and beliefs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 29>