Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Genographic Study

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Genographic Study
    Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 16:24
awesome, thanks for sharing. It is pretty occurate along with what I always thought though
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 22:25
Yeah, unfortunately there are many people within Afghanistan who are ignorant of the fact.  Many still believe they are descendants of Israelites or Alexander the Great.

Honorable as they are, the truth is they are infact related to the Scythians and original Iranians than anything else.
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Conservative View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Conservative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 20:36
I took my test with Genebase. Not a great company... Very slow with the results. At first they did a Y-DNA STR test for me. I paid for a 44 marker test and after doing two runs of my sample they came back with 55 markers for me and predicted from the results that i belonged to haplogroup Q which is the haplogroup associated with Native Americans,  Confused lol...

They offered to confirm my haplogroup if i paid for the Y-DNA SNP test which i did, and now my results for that currently show 19 mutations and that i actually belong to haplogroup R. Im expecting that they will soon reveal which sub-group of R i belong within the next couple of weeks.

The Q prediction surprised me but after doing the SNP test im not surprised at belonging to haplogroup R as it was the second most common haplogroup type found in a study done on Iranians from sample of people drawn from both northern and southern Iran.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 20:43
I believe Zagros (I think he's Kurdi) was also in the R haplogroup, but R1b.
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 02:30
Is R1b common across Eurasia? or is it R1a?

Conservative, if we go back far enough we all have the same ancestor so having various genetic make-ups shouldn't come as a shock unless you can trace your family tree back a few thousand years.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 17:31
I believe R1a and R1b are fairly similar, but their descendants are very polar. 

R1a is more Common in Eurasia while R1b is more common in Western Europe:

The Red is R1b the Magenta is R1a:

Source:

Haplogroup R1

Quotes from the link above:

"R1a likely originated in the Eurasian Steppes, and may be associated with the Kurgan culture and Proto-Indo-European expansion. It is primarily found in Central and Western Asia, India, and the Slavic peoples of Eastern Europe, as well as among some populations of Mongolia and southern Siberia, where it might reflect Scythian influences of classical antiquity. "

"Haplogroup R1b originated prior to or during the last glaciation, when it was concentrated in refugia in southern Europe and the Aegean. It is the most common haplogroup in Western Europe, but has been found at low frequency as far away as Iran and Korea. It is also found in North Africa where its frequency surpasses 10% in some parts of Algeria[2]. In south-eastern England the frequency of R1b is about 70%; in parts of the rest of north and western England, Spain, Portugal, Wales and Ireland, it is as high as 90%; and in parts of north-western Ireland it reaches 98%."

Edited by Afghanan - 14-Jan-2008 at 17:34
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 19:35

How is there so much R1a in Scandanavia? is it due to Uralic migrations to the region?

Does AL represent Altai? its interesting that they have the highest R1a and that its so different to their Mongol neighbours and members of the same linguistic family.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 21:28
That's right, I am R1b: my tribe (Lart - Lori/Bakhtiari) is originally from Pars and was deported to Kermanshah in the middle ages. I think that R1b is most common among Kurds, North Persians (Gilani, Mazandarani, Tehrani etc), Azeris and Armenians in the greater Iran context.

Language can change as we see with the Arabisation of the northern parts of the middle east in post classical times.  I think what we may see there is the result of assimilation.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 21:43
I don't think its just a result of assimilation.
The northern parts of the middle east became full-fledged Arabs and wern't forced to be so.

Nations rise and fall, being part of a nation has little to do with genetics. We could argue that every society is the result of assimilation, before the Iranics came to the Middle East there were people speaking different languages, not all peoples genetics in Iran are the same, there are some Persians who are Black, so being part of a nation is more to do with language, identity, history, tribes, clans and other socio-cultural factors.
Albert Pine

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 21:46
I didn't mention forced assimilation.  Assimilation can happen naturally from change of circumstances - that is what happened in Iran and that is what happened to previously non-Arab parts of the middle east and that probably happened in CA.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 03:16
In CA I believe its easier to retain your identity and language because of its isolation from the outside world.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 05:06
I did this about a year ago and my Y-DNA result was I1a, very common in Scandianvia
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2009 at 15:28
This is very facinating stuff.  I'm curious, I went to the national geographic link (https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/participate.html).  And it states that you have an option of either checking m-DNA OR Y-chromosomes.  Im undecided as to which one to do?  What do you guys suggest?
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2009 at 19:41
I did paternal because I wanted to settle the dispute as to whether the Ghaljai (aka Khalaj/Ghilzai/Khilji) were Turks or Indo-Iranians.  My father's paternal ancestry is Ghaljai as far as they can remember.

After I recieved my results and saw R1a1, that proved to me without a doubt that the historians were correct in their theory that the Ghalaj were infact Indo-Iranians.  This matches the historical accounts which state that the Ghaljai  were Turks who did not associate with other Turks and occupied Tokharistan, the same region where the White Huns occupied. 
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12