Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ethnic Origins of the Bulgars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ethnic Origins of the Bulgars
    Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 03:13
Yes:-)

Some hungarians think thant we are relatives of the mayas. ... (because of the life-tree symbols etc.)LOL

Ungur, Ungarn, Hongrois(?) etc. Just our neighburs, and prob. the turks are calling us madjarski, wegier, majars (Madjarstan= Hungary):-).

I don't know how many per cent of our words have turkish origin, but there are some hundreds, surely. (some of them are chuvas (from the time before and in the Khazar kaganat), some of them have oguz related origin (from the pechenegs, from uz-s, from the kumans, from the ottomans))

You should searc on the net for a bulg-hung. dictionary, but I think that words like tarkan, or tarjan you can't find. You should search for agriculture words. (yes, by two nomadic tribe unions!! After 1945 we were called raw meat eater nomads, but we got 50-60 pre 896 agriculture-words...)

And many of the words in the hung. language have iranian origin, from the scythian and sarmatian periods (f.e. the second or third sarmatian wawe in Eu came from the Ural, from finno-ugric territ.)
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 03:43
Originally posted by Tar Szernd

Yes:-)

Some hungarians think thant we are relatives of the mayas. ... (because of the life-tree symbols etc.)LOL

Ungur, Ungarn, Hongrois(?) etc. Just our neighburs, and prob. the turks are calling us madjarski, wegier, majars (Madjarstan= Hungary):-).

I don't know how many per cent of our words have turkish origin, but there are some hundreds, surely. (some of them are chuvas (from the time before and in the Khazar kaganat), some of them have oguz related origin (from the pechenegs, from uz-s, from the kumans, from the ottomans))

You should searc on the net for a bulg-hung. dictionary, but I think that words like tarkan, or tarjan you can't find. You should search for agriculture words. (yes, by two nomadic tribe unions!! After 1945 we were called raw meat eater nomads, but we got 50-60 pre 896 agriculture-words...)

And many of the words in the hung. language have iranian origin, from the scythian and sarmatian periods (f.e. the second or third sarmatian wawe in Eu came from the Ural, from finno-ugric territ.)

You a little bit misunderstood us. We do not doubt that Hungarians are Finno-Ugrans. We are discussing the origins of Bulgars. So, Anton basically says that we can't say that Bulgars were definetely Turkic langage speakers.

So, we are just discussing if they could be for example Finno-Ugrians. Why? because Onogur is the name for an ancient Burlgar tribe. And at the same time some sources say that Hungarians were the part of Onogur or may be name Hungarian comes from Onogur.

So, I'm not saying that Hungarians spoke Turkic, I'm discussing the possibility that ancient Bulgars were Finno-Ugric like Hungarians. This is the point.
Σαυρομάτης
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 08:59
So it would mean that the two groups had common languages. So I don't understand your last post, too:-), but it doesn't matter.

My opinion about the question is written down some pages before.  The definitions of turcic, or finno-ugric is not adequate in Europe. All of the tribe Unions (wich were no nations with one origin) were military constructions made from dozents of gens and tribes with different (slavian, ugric, turcic, iranian(alan)) origins, with different originated leaderstuff. (f.e. in Khazaria the Dentumogers (Magyars from the Don) or Htmagyar (Seven magyar) could had ogur turk leaders and ogurturk tribes, and the bulgars could had hungarians. 

language: the hungarians spoke two different languages in the time of Konstantinos perf.genetos: their own language and kazarian (turcic). the kazars spoke two languages too, certenly kazarian and an other, not known language (atrabian authors wrote this. i think, it was hungarian, because  the arabians surely had known the iranian and heber language)

So bulgars could had known a lot of languages in magna Bulgaria, too. bulgar turk, oguz turk, hungarian, slavian etc.

Edited by Tar Szernd - 06-Jun-2007 at 09:00
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 11:18
Originally posted by Tar Szernd

So it would mean that the two groups had common languages. So I don't understand your last post, too:-), but it doesn't matter.

My opinion about the question is written down some pages before.  The definitions of turcic, or finno-ugric is not adequate in Europe. All of the tribe Unions (wich were no nations with one origin) were military constructions made from dozents of gens and tribes with different (slavian, ugric, turcic, iranian(alan)) origins, with different originated leaderstuff. (f.e. in Khazaria the Dentumogers (Magyars from the Don) or Htmagyar (Seven magyar) could had ogur turk leaders and ogurturk tribes, and the bulgars could had hungarians. 

language: the hungarians spoke two different languages in the time of Konstantinos perf.genetos: their own language and kazarian (turcic). the kazars spoke two languages too, certenly kazarian and an other, not known language (atrabian authors wrote this. i think, it was hungarian, because  the arabians surely had known the iranian and heber language)

So bulgars could had known a lot of languages in magna Bulgaria, too. bulgar turk, oguz turk, hungarian, slavian etc.

Yeah, now you understand me right. I meant that the two groups might had an original common language of a Finno-Ugric origin.

I agree with you that it is very hard to determine presice ethnic contents of the Nomadic confederations of that time. However, nowdays conventional history calls hungarians-finno-ungrans and Volga tatars (descendants of Volga Bulgar)-Turks.

So the question is who were orginal Bulgars ? Turks? Finno-Ugrans? More likely to be these or more likely to be those?

Or may be we will be never able to determine exactly?

At least what hypo is the most valid one?  I personally, think that they, most likely, indeed were Turks.
Σαυρομάτης
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 17:25
They were "steppe-ians" Smile  Actually my  opinion is that they originated in north of Black Sea and thus represent culture and language of Sarmats, Turks, Slavs and others in that region. I do not see any reason to put them in any linguistic group.
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 03:47
Originally posted by Anton

Their political leader (the khan)

Dead

In a PM Bulldog told me that more than 80 medieval sources name the Bulgarian leaders khans.I asked him to show one of them and it's been 5-6 days of waiting for replyLOL

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 09-Jun-2007 at 03:47
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 09:36
I said there are documents in Greek regarding the Bulgars reverence of "Tangra".

So could you please stop spreading lies and spewing your racial hatred in PM's please.

About use of Khan, this is what is writes in Wiki

The Bulgars were governed by hereditary rulers. For three of these, the native form of their title, kanasubigi, is attested. This is generally assumed to include the word khan, probably in its archaic form kan. There is additional evidence suggesting that the latter title was used, e.g. the fact that the name of early Bulgarian ruler Pagan occurs in Patriarch Nicephorus's so-called Breviarium as Καμπαγάνος (Kampaganos), likely an erroneous rendition of the phrase "Kan Pagan"[6]. Among the proposed translations for the phrase kanasubigi as a whole are lord of the army, from the reconstructed Turkic phrase *s begi, parallelling the attested Old Turkic s bai,[7] and, more recently, (ruler) from God, from the Indo-European *su- and baga-, i.e. *su-baga (a counterpart of the Greek phrase ὁ ἐκ Θεοῦ ἄρχων, ho ek Theou archon, which is common in Bulgar inscriptions)[8]. This titulature presumably persisted until the Bulgars adopted Christianity.[9]
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 10:35
Originally posted by Bulldog

I said there are documents in Greek regarding the Bulgars reverence of "Tangra".

I apologise for the 80 part it was a mistake.Here's what you wrote:

Kubrat,Kotrag yes but you added khan although that there's not a single source which says their titles.The only title we're sure about is kanasubigi before Boris I.

Every source outside of Bulgaria calls them Khans.

Stone inscriptions,chronicles from medieval authors please?Big%20smile
So could you please stop spreading lies and spewing your racial hatred in PM's please.

If denying the turkicness of the Bulgars is racial hatred then you are also a racist for denying the iranian theoryBig%20smile.I've never made a single statement which calls for extermination of turks or turning them into cosmetical products.If you consider opposing Turkey's entrance in EU or criticising the MRF separatists as racism then you have serious problemDead

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 09-Jun-2007 at 10:36
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 10:42
Nemski
If denying the turkicness of the Bulgars is racial hatred then you are also a racist for denying the iranian theoryBig%20smile.I've never made a single statement which calls for extermination of turks or turning them into cosmetical products.If you consider opposing Turkey's entrance in EU or criticising the MRF separatists as racism then you have serious problemDead

I don't want to have to repeat what your views on Gypsies are so don't carry this on.

If if makes you feel better that Bulgars were anything except Turkic go ahead, if it makes you sleep better at night believe what you like but you know the only reason you cannot accept Bulgars being of Turkic ancestory is your ideological and pollitical views Smile

About Khans, I posed what is writes on Wikipedia, its not the most accurate historical source but its backed up with some sources.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 10:43
By the way for the proof of their religion you gave me a link to the site of ziezi who claims that Napoleon Bonaparte is Bulgarian and that Dragan-a sailor on Columbus ship sighted America and he's the founder of the continent.
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 10:46

I don't want to have to repeat what your views on Gypsies are so don't carry this on.

Come to Bulgaria and you'll see that the gypsies steal any,absolutely ANY Bulgarian member in this forum can confirm.Ask also romanians they have many gypsies there also.
I can understand if it was an exaggeration but it's the naked truth and i didn't say that they have to be exterminated...
They have stolen 5+ times from my mother's shop saying this(even when i saw one of the thieveries with my own eyes) is racism also maybe?

If we follow your logic then we should tolerate crimes of people from different ethnic groups because otherwise we'll become evil racists.

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 09-Jun-2007 at 10:48
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 10:52
Surely not all gypsies are bad?
Anyway there comming to Europe now, I've seen some in London, let's see how they behave Tongue

Bulgar's believed in "Tangra", most sources attest to this.

You know "Musalla" mountain was given that name by Ottomans deriving from MasAllah mountain, its name prior to that was "Tangra".Wink

Edited by Bulldog - 09-Jun-2007 at 10:53
Albert Pine

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 13:07
Bulldog, people ask you to point to any sources (not linguistical suggestions from modern historians) about:
1. Title of Bulgarian ruller.
2. Their God.

Your wiki source cites linguistic suggestion that kanasubigi is derived from Turkic words. This would be valid if you consider that Bulgars were Turkic as proven fact. Otherwise, you have many suggestions that are not less valid. One of them I have shown already -- "Kniaz u Boga".

And guys cut the Gypsy/Roma crap here.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 13:13
Where did this information about Musala-Tangra come from?

Edited by Anton - 09-Jun-2007 at 13:15
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 15:23
Why do you spend so much time just on the Turkic tribes when before them there were a whole bunch of people in the area of Bulgaria. What happened to the Thracian and Dacian tribes? I don't think they just vanished from the face of earth nor exterminated.

On the other side though, you talk about Bulgars not a final result of a nation that we today call Bulgarians.

Edited by Flipper - 09-Jun-2007 at 15:28

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 15:37
Flipper
Why do you spend so much time just on the Turkic tribes when before them there were a whole bunch of people in the area of Bulgaria. What happened to the Thracian and Dacian tribes? I don't think they just vanished from the face of earth nor exterminated.

On the other side though, you talk about Bulgars not a final result of a nation that we today call Bulgarians.

As you wrote in your last sentance, were discussing "Bulgars", Bulgarians may be made up of Thracian, Dacian and Slavic tribes aswell however, the focus is on the Bulgars.

The most widely accepted view is that the Bulgars were of Turkic-Hunnic origin, they then mixed with Uralic tribes in the Volga Bulgaria region. Most historical sources and the fact that the Bulgars of Volga Bulgaria ie Tatarstan/Chuvash peoples are Turkic and speak Turkic language today.

Another alternate view supported by some Bulgarians of Bulgaria is that the Bulgar's were anything but Turkic in origin, instead they were Iranic. This theory has few supporters.
A major reason why I criticise this is that very few historians support the theory, there are few sources and facts to back it up and also it's more pollitically motivated, due to the Ottoman-Bulgarian relations it may be difficult for a Bulgarian nationalist to acknowledge that Bulgars had anything to do with Turks.

Albert Pine

Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 16:16

Tatarstan/Chuvash peoples are Turkic and speak Turkic language today.

Yes according to Bulldog the mongols actually never invaded them,they simply passed there and not even one tataromongol mixed with the Volga Bulgars.We must believe it or else we're turkophobes and racists.

also it's more pollitically motivated, due to the Ottoman-Bulgarian relations it may be difficult for a Bulgarian nationalist to acknowledge that Bulgars had anything to do with Turks.

Since 1878 it has been studied that the Bulgars were turkic and this wasn't a problem for the Bulgarians.Now new arguments appear and new theories are made according to them,this is how history as a science developes further.But some panturanists like you don't want to accept anything else than what they've already heard.

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 09-Jun-2007 at 16:26
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 21:02

The most widely accepted view is that the Bulgars were of Turkic-Hunnic origin, they then mixed with Uralic tribes in the Volga Bulgaria region. Most historical sources and the fact that the Bulgars of Volga Bulgaria ie Tatarstan/Chuvash peoples are Turkic and speak Turkic language today.

Since you are not tired to repeat this I will not be tired to ask you to rshow me those sources. I mean sources, not conclusion of modern historians.

Another alternate view supported by some Bulgarians of Bulgaria is that the Bulgar's were anything but Turkic in origin, instead they were Iranic. This theory has few supporters.

I have pointed to those some Bulgarians at the beggining of the thread, most of them were Russians, Americans and Ukranians. Anyway, this sound weird:

A major reason why I criticise this is that very few historians support the theory, there are few sources and facts to back it up and also it's more pollitically motivated, due to the Ottoman-Bulgarian relations it may be difficult for a Bulgarian nationalist to acknowledge that Bulgars had anything to do with Turks.

because you may criticize whatever you want, and this will be interesting but only if you provide arguments: medieval sources, linguistic studies, archeological data, genetical  research and so on.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 21:22
Originally posted by Flipper

Flipper, I think there are two reasons. They are both subjective:

1. We bear their name.
2. This is part of our national myth. We believe that they organized slavonic tribes and rest citizens and federats of Roman Empire into a nation that is now called Bulgarian nation. We believe that their role was very important and without them our history would be different. Their organization, their spirit was that core that determined our past and will determine our future.
Sounds a bit pathetic but national myths are always pathetic Wink

That is why our historiography pays much more attention to them comparing to some other tribes that might be even more numerous than Bulgars.

Of course their ethnicity is not that important. But it is very interesting and complicated question itself. And it seems that our dear friend Bulldog found answers to all our questions. Tongue
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 22:00
@ Anton & Bulldog

I completely understand...this actually happened everywhere if you go waaaaaaaaaay back in time. In Bulgaria it happened in a time where it was possible to record bits and peaces.

The result of all these, no matter which theory is correct is that Bulgaria has had a kind of continuity as a state with all its background since the 7th century. In 1000 years it won't really matter who was who at year 1 of that area.

Another theory suggests that all europeans are 10-30% neadartals. What effect does that have 30000 years later to our current european cultures? Nothing...Nations formed anyway.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>