Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Religion Of Pre Colonial Africa?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mayra View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mayra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Religion Of Pre Colonial Africa?
    Posted: 22-May-2009 at 23:28
No problem Pinguin! LOL, you never know, I think Celia might have participated in a "gira" or two the way she was throwing those lyrics down. I am willing to bet she was a believer taking presents down to the ocean. quien sabes?
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
" I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive". Albert Einstein
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2009 at 02:27
Certainly. Cubans do believe in Yemaya. Everyone, Blacks, Whites, mixed. Santeria is central in Cuban culture.
I remember seen a report about the Cuban rafters that crossed from Cuba to the U.S. in those fragile rafts. When they started the trip, the women at the coast singed songs to Yemaya. Was very moving. Very poor people in a country dominated by a dictator, escaping to a better life, risking theirs life at the ocean but under the protection of Yemaya.

Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2009 at 20:06
Many Cubans are very proud over their African roots or connections. That is shown in music and art. One example is the classic dance performance "Sulkari", coreographed by Eduardo Rivero:

Among other things it refers to traditional West African sculpture in some of the positions and moves the dancers do.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12