Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pre-Christian Poland?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pre-Christian Poland?
    Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 19:49

Originally posted by tzar

Excuse me, can I ask you a question (not about this topic, but it is about the Poles)
Are you  slavs or not?!

Thats depends what do you mean by asking if we are Slavs or not. We use western slavic language and we come from the slavic people who were named Polanie. But we dont feel (so far i know most of us) to be part of any great slavic family together with Russian's , Serbs, Croats or Bulgars. Most of us dont feel any love or great relationship to other so called slavic nations. We are Poles and panslavic ideologies we consider as sick and nasty. Our culture is unique and different than russian or yugoslavian. The most close to us are other nations which use western slavic languages: Czechs and Slovaks, but even with them we dont feel much relationship.

tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 12:36

I asked you because your language has many similar words as our and I know that motherland of the slavs is on the area of today's Poland. I understand your feeling (we have the same against most of them ) against some of others slavs nations but what we (Bulgarians) have done to you to hate us? We have never waged a war!

Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Rava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 13:04

Tzar, who said Poles hate Bulgars?. In case of your history there's no problem to recover following waves of tribes dwelled in your country through the ages; the Thracians, Scytians, Romans, Sclaveni, and 10000 Bulgars.

In case of Poland its territory was homeland for many cultures mostly of Celtic and Germanic origin. Then there had been an empty place before Sclaveni settled there. We still don't know our background. But we share similar language with you and this is the point of being Sclavic.

tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 15:57

ok thanks a lot. I made myself a wrong conclusion! 

Am I offend you? if yes I'm sorry

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 17:49
Originally posted by tzar

ok thanks a lot. I made myself a wrong conclusion! 

Am I offend you? if yes I'm sorry

You missunderstood me. We dont hate Bulgars or others. We just dont follow any panslavic ideologies. And affcourse there is no offence.

Polish-UkrainianCanadian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Polish-UkrainianCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 20:46
I don't know alot about Poland. I am Polish-Ukrainian thats all I know. I am proud of my heritage!!!! POLSKA!!!! yKPAHA!!!! preferably from Central Asia i believe we are from I thought.

Edited by Polish-UkrainianCanadian
Polish-UkrainianCanadian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Polish-UkrainianCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 17:17
i hate poland now. its boring and selfcentred like most nations of the world.
'doter ton craindre grandeur'
boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2005 at 18:35
ok, why the sudden change of attitude?
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 16:18
there's no change; if a person changes his mind on his ethnicity so fast he wasn't what he said he was in the first place...saying Poland is self centered means you dont know much about it... no offence or anything
errata View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote errata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2005 at 15:30

By the way somebody manioned about  the origins of the slavs here. Can you give some more information please.

Thanks in advance

Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2005 at 00:17
I dont think there's one sure origin of the slavs, we are an indo-european peoples, there's alot of different theories, at least I think so, otherwise IMa s confused as you. some ppl believe that the original home of slavs was the area of kazakhstan, others around carpathians and Dniepr. I myself do not know the origin of the slavs 100%. Some even believe there to be a Sarmatian link tot he slavs   being that the Chroatians take there name from a place around the caucasus and are believed to be a sarmatian tribe like the Alani, who settled aroudn the are of Poland-Ukraine. Some Serbian said once that since greeks mispronounce some names he says the sarmatian can acctually be Serbatos or something can't remember, I got the link somewhere if i find it I'll leave the link at the end. And supposedly the Chroatians and Serbs first settled around the are of Poland. Serbs(sorbs) in germany-Poland, and Chroatians making a state called Chrobatia settled around the ae of Krakow making it its capital. then heraclius called these tribes for help, and thats how the whole schism happened the avars got in there. Youc may also look at some legends of Lech, Czech and Rus, where it sais that these three brothers came from the Kroatskie Hills. Bascially a lot of migration going on, talkin about it gives me a headache...im going ot go srest now...
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2005 at 10:54

It was spoken here, that slavs were originally from somewhere jusat a little north of Caspian Sea, and those places, while the Finno-Ugric ethnic group is a little bit from upwards, so I think it goes about like this.

East Slavs:
Russians
Lipovan Russians
Ukrainians
Rusyns (Ruthenes)
Belarusians
Poleszuks (transitional between Ukrainians and Belarussians)

West Slavs:
Poles
Mazurians
Silesians
Warmiaks
Pomeranians
Czechs
Moravians
Slovaks
Sorbs (Lusatians, Serb-Lusatians)

South Slavs:
Bulgarians
Muslim Bulgarians
Macedonians
Bosniaks
Croats
Molise Croats
Serbs
Montenegrins
Slovenians
Karantanians (Proto-Slovenes)

and so on.. this isn't the full table, but it is from the Wikipedia article i read few weeks ago...

1.the autochthonic theory assumes that Slavs had lived north of the Carpathian Mountains since 1000 BC.
2.the allochthonic theory assumes that the Slavs came there in the 5th or 6th century AD

a theory...

The Finno-Ugric ethnic map...

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2005 at 21:39

Originally Slavs were considered only one of all the tribes which were Venetii, Slavs and Antae. Altough all those groups are called Slavs.

Slavs were those who today are living in balkans, Venetii were those who are called western Slavs (also Wends, Vinds, Venedi) and Antae - eastern slavs. There are 2 theories about original home of the Slavs. One says that it was in the area of Danube where from they spreaded northeast to the Volga river and Caspian sea. The second theory says that original home of slavs was between rivers Vistula and Dnieper where from they spreaded to sought, west and east.

Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2005 at 04:57

Recently discovered genetic evidence indicates that the Slavs had their origins in the ancient nomadic steppe peoples.  This pretty much lends credence to what Sarmata said.  The genetic marker in question is called Eu19, and it is found mostly among the Slavs and some peoples of the Indian Subcontinent and Central Asia.  It is also found to a lesser degree among other European peoples like Germans, Scandinavians, and British.

BTW, as was mentioned earlier, the pre-Christian gods of the Slavs resembled those of the ancient Indo-Iranians.  In fact, some where almost identical, with similar names.

I would say that the map with the arrows posted by Rider is probably a fairly accurate portrayal of the original migration routes of the Slavs.

Edited by Scytho-Sarmatian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123