Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese War Experiments-The horrors of Unit 731 revisited

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
phoenix_bladen View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote phoenix_bladen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japanese War Experiments-The horrors of Unit 731 revisited
    Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 13:40

What do people - even well-informed ones - think when they hear the term "Unit 731"? Some may assert that it is the name of an apartment block. Or they might respond that it is a swank disco in Manhattan, the successor to the famed Studio 54. "Which stars dance there these days?" they might grinningly query.

The grins will surely turn to grimaces when such people learn that "Unit 731" is convenient shorthand for one of history's most diabolical and repulsive policies, namely imperial Japan's secretive, concerted attempt to develop biowar weapons using human guinea pigs in experiments.

American journalist Daniel Barenblatt, a Harvard graduate, says he decided to write at length on this harrowing topic because, as he stated in an exclusive interview to Asia Times Online recently in Beijing (with e-mail follow ups), he thinks that something is fundamentally wrong with the world. This is especially true with the decisions of destructive politicians. Unit 731 is a blood-soaked example of what he detests.

For Barenblatt, who describes himself as "extremely sensitive", conducting this path-breaking research was like striding forward with a thorn in his foot. As he fathomed ugly truths, he was in "non-stop pain" emotionally.

His self-torturing efforts may have paid off, for Barenblatt's book appears to break new information presented in dynamic prose that neither trivializes nor hypes the topic. The work could become a leader in its field.

For instance, in 1994, American historian Sheldon Harris wrote the then touchstone work on the subject, Factories of Death, with an update in 2001. While Barenblatt lionizes Harris, he has added "genocide" in his subtitle to underscore the fact that Japan's perfidy killed a stunning 580,000 people, a higher number than Harris cited. He derives the figure from the collective opinions of experts and scholars attending a December 2002 conference in Changde, Hunan province, China.

Barenblatt's portrait of Japanese doctor Shiro Ishii, the evil mastermind behind the biowar program, is outstanding, in contrast to Harris's more academic prose. Here, Ishii is described in colorful and gripping passages as brilliant, charming, intimidating, embezzling, stone-hearted - and prone to satisfying his huge sex drive with girls no older than 16. Barenblatt adroitly summarizes that Ishii was "a brash and flamboyantly corrupt man who considered himself a visionary" beyond scruples, driven to break new scientific ground and to help Japan defeat its foes.

What did this awful man do? At "medical" facilities such as Unit 731 in Pingfan, Manchuria, starting in 1936 - building upon earlier efforts - Ishii and his cohorts carried out experiments that included injecting viruses or pathogens for cholera, anthrax, bubonic plague and many other diseases into living prisoners; the bacteria or germs would incubate in their bodies.

Then the victim would be strapped down to an operating table. Some screamed in a non-human way when they realized their fate: Unit 731 "doctors" would cut them open to observe the progress of the germs incubating within them or to harvest organs that had enough germs to weaponize or spread on nearby villagers.

During one anthrax operation, the doctors noted the progress of the pathogen organ by organ. The victim's suffering was unspeakable, with "his organs swelling, bleeding and disintegrating". In a poignant summary of the horror, Barenblatt says that the doctors in the biowar program turned life - biology - against life.

Other experiments were not related to germ warfare per se, but transpired so that the doctors could learn more about how humans live and die. These included studies of dehydration, starvation, frostbite, air pressure - some inmates had their eyes blown out - transfusions of animal blood to humans and others. Even children and babies were destroyed this way. Other ghoulish experiments included cutting off a prisoner's hands and sewing them back on to the opposite arms to gauge what happened.

According to Barenblatt, the Japanese also carried out experiments on other Japanese in the home islands akin to Nazi efforts on the mentally handicapped. The victims were Japanese prisoners of the Soviets; when released, they returned to Japan. It was the gravest shame to have the inferior Russians - further stigmatized as communists - capture a Japanese. The ordeal ended in the death of the Japanese subjects.

One of the most stirring passages comes when Barenblatt refines a tale that Harris first related of a Chinese hero known only as Li. He organized an escape from Unit 731's precursor human-experiment compound at Beiyinhe. Apparently, Li knocked a guard over the head though his cell bars and snatched his keys. Then he unfastened his leg irons and released other prisoners too.

Next Li led the prisoners to the compound wall, forming a human chain to try to get the group of 30 men up and over. Guards killed Li before he could escape, but a dozen men did get out, making Li a true champion. "I was able to pin it down as 1934," says Barenblatt of the escape's date.

Barenblatt courts controversy when he implicitly condemns the US for agreeing not to prosecute Unit 731 miscreants after the war in return for their research. The United States' usual alibi is that the Americans feared that the data would fall into Soviet hands. According to Barenblatt, the Russians had long obtained information on the experiments, making the US "denial" strategy moot.

However, American Cold Warriors might counter-argue that, because of ethical constraints, it would be entirely impossible for them to replicate a single immoral experiment to gather even an iota of data. As long as the Americans feared that the Kremlin could obtain more biowarfare information from the doctors - just when its nuclear inferiority made such data ever more valuable - the West had to act maximally to protect itself. Perhaps it is safest to assert that the bargain will remain a controversy.

Barenblatt also reveals that the US had a biowar program of its own at Camp Detrick, Maryland, where it conducted research for offensive and defensive reasons. "I have a great deal of new, declassified material from Camp Detrick and the US military," he boasts. It remains to be seen whether experts in the area buttress or scotch his ideas on the scope and aims of the US efforts.

Barenblatt will surely raise hackles for backing an old charge that China, the USSR and North Korea first leveled against the US during the Korean War, namely that it was employing biowar weapons based on data procured from the Japanese. He even argues that it is "disturbingly plausible" that Washington brought Ishii, living near Tokyo after the war, to Korea to assist its efforts.

Strangely, while Barenblatt cites a 1952 report that castigates the US, he does not mention the recent work of Canadian scholars Steven Endicott and Edward Hagerman. Their book, The United States and Biological Warfare, drew upon newly opened Chinese archives to declare the United States guilty. The hurdle for all the various accusers, however, is this: crack historians Kathryn Weathersby and Milton Leitenberg have examined the same documents and concluded that the idea of US biowar attacks during the Korean War was a Chinese propaganda hoax.

Those who strenuously argue that it was a profound miscarriage of justice that Ishii the medical Moloch escaped justice might take heart, for Mother Nature meted out punishment of sorts. In 1959, Ishii the pseudo-doctor - he had murdered thousands of people through the deliberate use of various disease - died of throat cancer.

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Japan/GA29Dh01.html

it's pretty sad really......

Edited by phoenix_bladen
chaeohk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote chaeohk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 14:19
yah i have heard about this in korea....
i have heard that they also did experiments where they would try to replace blood with water to see how long people last.....

i wasn't sure this was true and thought this was made up...

this is really horrifing that its real...or basing that the newspaper is accurate
El_Bandito View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote El_Bandito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 20:11
Sigh...what power does to human beings
I'm awake, I'm awake.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 21:41
There are  several sites in Manchuria which  thought to be have biological weapon buried beneath the earth by Unit 731  when they retreated. These sites have wide spread epidemics among the surrounding inhabitants.
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 18:06
[URL=http://imageshack.us]
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 13:43
Just not that long ago, i think it was 2 year ago, some worker in China was digging with machinary and accidentally breached one of the containers barried by Unit 731.  And I think 2 or 3 people get seriously ill.  And Japan had to pay for it and pay for dealing with those containers.
Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 17:29
yeah...it came out on the discovery channel a 6 or 7 years ago i think
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 13:25

And Japan had to pay for it and pay for dealing with those containers.

they paid?

that's a little better than ignoring and denying..

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
sinosword View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sinosword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 18:04
Belial
Elanjie View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Elanjie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 22:05
Elanjie View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Elanjie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 22:06

The virus experiment instruments of unit 731

Elanjie View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Elanjie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 22:12

Some picture of Nanking slaughter

Chinghiz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Chinghiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 07:41
Originally posted by Elanjie

Some picture of Nanking slaughter

Can you tell me how many chinese people were killed or died under the Japanese Rule, by the Nationalist and the Communists?

Veritas lux mea
Dalsung Hwarang View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Dalsung Hwarang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 23:28
I've heard of loads of different torture methods made by unit 731... Very disturbing...
"He who seeks death shall live, and he who seeks life shall die." --Admiral Yi.
Beijingguy View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Beijingguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 11:07

interesting yet not surprising,

that what the Japanese did during WW2 in China  receives much less attentions and attractions than what China has done to its "foreign lands"..

perhaps one would blame communism, otherswise things could be quite the opposite

anyway, a good example again for my personal social and political analysis. sometimes what internet provides is not "pointless" indeed.

yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 11:30
Originally posted by Beijingguy

that what the Japanese did during WW2 in China  receives much less attentions and attractions than what China has done to its "foreign lands"..

OTOH Japan kind of got her payback, and kind of learnt their lesson (i.e. most of them)
jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 11:46
Those pictures disgust me.
Beijingguy View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Beijingguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 16:43
Originally posted by yan.

Originally posted by Beijingguy

OTOH Japan kind of got her payback, and kind of learnt their lesson (i.e. most of them)

Recently, the Japanese prime minister Koizumi and his officals not only kept visiting "Yasukuni shrine" despite protests from its Asian neighbors, its foreign minister even accused China has anti-japan textbooks on several occasions rather than focusing on its own distortion of history textbooks, about a week ago, the mayor of Tokyo just "questioned" the reliability of "Nanjing massacre", pointing out the Japanese couldnt have done such.  

A Japanese woman working with Chinese for the collection of victim's accounts about Japan's abuses in China during the WWII. She was interviewed by Sina.com and i listened it, she acknowledged that the reason why she's helping Chinese is because when she had learnt the fact of atrocities by WWII Japanese military, she was shocked and Japan's schools dont teach all these, she learnt it from other source. When asked whether most Japanese know or acknowledge that history, she said most ppl in Japan  dont know it well and enough.

As a  counter-measure to Chinese publishing  in English of books which exposing behaviours by Japanese military during the "Nanjing massacre", some Japanese authors even wrote a book to "reveal the truth of "Nanjing"", in which they not only deny the various atrocities, the books actually suggesting that the "atrocities" was rather done by the Chinese nationalist army than Japan's.

An American English teacher whom  work in Japan wrote a review for the book, he told his experience in Japan: before learnt the 731 from an English source, he had the impression that Japanese ppl are polite and nice, but after shocked by learning 731 which made him seeking ordinary Japanese opinions on the issue, the result,most ppl either dont know it or telling him such stories are made up, his students told him its made up by the Americans aimed at making Japan look bad, even his Japanese girlfriend tells him its not reliable.

When China and Korea expressed their disapproval of Japan's quest for permanent seat of security council in the UN, most of the UN staffs and officals didnt even know such atrocities  existed when they were presented with such.

But taken this statement as the truth, i would assume that the accounts of that Japanese woman and the  American are not reliable, they are for some reasons lying.

Edited by Beijingguy
 Post Reply Post Reply