Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The title "Shogun"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vespasian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote vespasian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The title "Shogun"
    Posted: 18-May-2007 at 19:18
Hi everyone. I remember reading that the term "Shogun" was only part of a longer (more formal) title. Could someone please help me out with what that title was? Also, was this a title that one could just make oneself, or did the Emperor have to bestow it? Thanks.
Is someone going to tell Triple H that someone beat him to the title "King of Kings"?
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 13:45

Shogun was commonly used by the Westerners, as well as the romaji in some cases. But strictly speaking, one should not refer shogun... but as seii taishogun. I don't know the official translation, but the title means something like "Worthey general, supressor of the barbarians". Barbarian, at the time of the first shogun, were the ones that were not yet conquered and assimilated by the central power of Japan, such as Ainu people.

I am pretty sure that the title is granted by the Emperor, since Japanese leaders usually use Emperor as an excuse to portray themselves and honorable and rightful leader chosen by righteous Emperor rubbish... but I am not 100% sure whether the seii taishoguns gave himself such title or not. My Japanese history knowledge is fading as I am learning more about Western history. If you find the answer to this, please let me know. I need to remember this...

Edited by pekau - 19-May-2007 at 13:51

Join us.
 Post Reply Post Reply