Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAtlantis in Albania?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
erton View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atlantis in Albania?
    Posted: 16-May-2007 at 14:44
these ciklopes walls are not the onlest in Albania,there are a lot of them around Albania and this doesnt mean they are all built by Byzantines...
the time is the greatest enemy of the men
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 03:51
Cyclopean walls. They're called as such, because in public imagination the stones used were so big, they had to have been made by Cyclops  (Kyklopes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclops )

Below is an example of Cyclopean masonry (all picture) compared with later additions (marked in blue).

As it's obvious in Cyclopean masonry stones are rough and no mortar is used, in distinct contradiction to the later method.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 04:11
The paleolithic and neolithic ones we can now seperate from  later constructions but  in the middle ages they could not.Again Europe and beyond is full of them.
http://www.hoplites.net/
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 19:48
To all u greek dudes,u went on atack against the albo guy without explaining to us why his theory might be wrong??????? if u are competent enough to criticise then be competent enough to tell us why ( and u are in fact mocking and not criticising).Even if we take that all glory belongs to ancient greece only ,still the albo guy might have more right to deffend the cultural inheritance of ancient greece then u modern greek guys:-)

there are some very simple fact which i will talk to u about it in du course:-) ciao.
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 10:02
Yes , in geographic terms he might claim historical pieces of ancient Greek civilisation(like most of the countries around mediterranean sea).

olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 10:18
We offered him the text sources and much more .If they are read(the texts) you will understand this other than the fact that we wrote why the theory is wrong.

Atlantis was an island in the Atlantic.

Island in the middle of a Great Ocean.

Edited by olvios - 18-May-2007 at 10:21
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 10:43
Originally posted by Laberia

all glory belongs to ancient greece only

What is this suppose to mean?ConfusedAtlantis was supposedly in the atlantic ocean not in Ancient Greece.Please Read plato.Though for me its still a symbolic story of hubris and great civilizations.

Atlantians were Atlantians

"He [Solon] also spent some time in studies with Psenophis of Heliopolis [in Egypt] and Sonkhis of Sais, who were very learned priests. From these, as Plato says, he heard the story of the lost Atlantis, and tried to introduce it in a poetical form to the Greeks." - Plutarch, Solon 26.1

"Plato, ambitious to elaborate and adorn the subject of the lost Atlantis, as if it were the soil of a fair estate unoccupied, but appropriately his by virtue of some kinship with Solon, began the work by laying out great porches, enclosures, and courtyards, such as no story, tale, or poesy ever had before.  But he was late in beginning, and ended his life before his work. Therefore the greater our delight in what he actually wrote, the greater is our distress in view of what he left undone. For as the Olympieion in the city of Athens, so the tale of the lost Atlantis in the wisdom of Plato is the only one among many beautiful works to remain unfinished." - Plutarch, Solon 32.1

"Those who live on the shores of Okeanos tell a fable of how the ancient kings of Atlantis, sprung from the seed of Poseidon, wore upon their head the bands from the male Ram-fish, as an emblem of their authority, while their wives, the queens, wore the curls of the females as a proof of theirs." - Aelian, On Animals 15.2

"There is reported to be another island off [African] Mount Atlas [in the Atlantic], itself also called Atlantis, from which a two days voyage along the coast reaches the desert district in the neighbourhood of the Western Aethiopes and the cape mentioned above as the Horn of the West, the point at which the coastline begins to curve westward in the direction of the Atlantic." - Pliny, Natural History 6.199

Read these as well

Sources:

• Plato, Timaeus - Greek Philosophy C4th BC
  • Plato, Critias - Greek Philosophy C4th BC
  • Plutarch, Lives - Greek Historian C1st-2nd AD
  • Aelian, On Animals - Greek Natural History C2nd - C3rd AD
  • Pliny the Elder, Natural History - Latin Natural History C1st AD

olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 10:45
http://www.maicar.com/GML/Atlantis.html

Read this for a better perspective and more info.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 12:10
Originally posted by Laberia

Even if we take that all glory belongs to ancient greece only ,still the albo guy might have more right to deffend the cultural inheritance of ancient greece then u modern greek guys:-)

1) nobody told the glory of Atlantis belongs to ancient Greece.
2) I though Albanians are supposed to be Illyrians. Did they suddenly become Greeks? Ellaborate please, cause we've hearing the same things recently.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 19:56
Flipper.if you see my previous posts you would understand that my opinion is that ancient illiryan and greeks are people who speak the same language.Modern albanaians may be the ones who still preserv it,but i dont belive that all albanains modern or ancient are categoricaly illiryan.ciao.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 21:05
Originally posted by GANO

Flipper.if you see my previous posts you would understand that my opinion is that ancient illiryan and greeks are people who speak the same language.Modern albanaians may be the ones who still preserv it,but i dont belive that all albanains modern or ancient are categoricaly illiryan.ciao.

Gano. According to Polybius they needed translators.

Also, you don't have any evidence on how Illyrian sounded. If Albanians preserved it then it is definetely not the same language. I can read ancient Greek very well and while it might be soundwise similar to certain albanian dialects, there are extremely few similarities in basic words.

Ok, on the other side there are linguists who have a theory that waaaaaaaay back in time before the IE invations Phrygians, Illyrians and Greeks were gathered in one place and shared many linguistic similarities. However, you can never prove that. Ok, between Phrygians and Greeks it might be easy to come to that conclution but Illyrian and Greek is far fetched. I did a study on that theory about a year ago and tryed to gather every possible source. No luck at all. Just theory and no evidence.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
sasha8 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2007 at 22:08
Originally posted by Flipper

[QUOTE=GANO]Flipper.if you see my previous posts you would understand that my opinion is that ancient illiryan and greeks are people who speak the same language.Modern albanaians may be the ones who still preserv it,but i dont belive that all albanains modern or ancient are categoricaly illiryan.ciao.

Also, you don't have any evidence on how Illyrian sounded. If Albanians preserved it then it is definetely not the same language. I can read ancient Greek very well and while it might be soundwise similar to certain albanian dialects, there are extremely few similarities in basic words.

First of all,u said that i somehow sugested the albnaians were greeks,thats why i gave you an answer.

Now.And you dont have evidence on how greek sounded ,but people are inteligent beings who try to reach conclusions by using their logic.Albanians preserved it,and u are right is not the same language,but is not a different language,and foreign words in albanian are easily spoted by any albanian.

And to end it.If you can read ancient Greek very well,but you only find extremely few similarities with albanian,is because u speak extremely little,if not nothing in albanian.But if you do speak albanian and im wrong to suspect that you dont then,i beg your pardon,but please do me a favour of explaining to me why is it that the letters Q. AND GJ. in albanian alfabet,can not be pronouced by any other speaker of ballkan languages ,but the albanians themselves,and actualy,very well in their full pronounciation by the albanians of the south ?( Toskeria,Toskenia in GEGE,or epiri,EPIROS,IN GREEK).All the best.Laberia
The sun rises from the west.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 03:21
This thread is more than ridiculus to be left open. Starting of as "Atlantis in Albania" was one thing, but now it's totally out of this world.

Closed!
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123