Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A small request.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A small request.
    Posted: 11-May-2007 at 04:19

I have a small request for the stuff. Can somebody edits Greece in the countries section of the profiles into Hellas/Greece?I think it's more appropriate, because ,in addition to use of Hellas in the everyday life here, if anyone surfs the Internet for govermental sites ,he will notice the use of the terms Hellas and Hellenic Republic.

For example:
Hellenic Parliament

Edited by Spartakus - 11-May-2007 at 04:22
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 09:31
Well, Hellas is the local, original name of Greece,so, in a way, it could be fair to use it. Besides, recent atlases are introducing the consuetude to use local names for each country or city

On the other hand, it would be fair to do that not only for Greece, but for all countries, and here there is a problem.

Never heard of Shqiperia? No?
And what about Hrvatska?

They are some European countries that few people, I am afraid, know with their local names -- except, of course, it's citizens.

That is not only the case of small countries. I would bet that many people ignores what Zhongguo is --- and yet it is a very big and important country.

What I wanted to stres is that to use the local names as first reference could be confusing.

So my proposal is (not only for Greece but for all countries):

Let's use first the English name and then, in brackets, the local one. Ex:

Greece (Hellas)
Italy (Italia)
Germany (Deutschland)
Albania (Shqiperia)
Croatia (Hrvatska)
China (Zhongguo)

etc.

N.B.: local names can be derived from many sources, among which CIA Factbook
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 10:56
acually I can't figure out how to do it and Northman hass been tied up recently but I will forward the request to him.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 12:31

I don't know how good the idea is. This is an English forum, and I think this could lead to alot of confusion.

Just to test it, I changed it for Greece.  If the name gets any longer than Greece/Hellas it cannot be on one line.

A better solution might be to show it in the signature for those who think its important.

~ Northman

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 17:07
Originally posted by Northman

I don't know how good the idea is. This is an English forum, and I think this could lead to alot of confusion.

Just to test it, I changed it for Greece.  If the name gets any longer than Greece/Hellas it cannot be on one line.

A better solution might be to show it in the signature for those who think its important.

~ Northman

This is an english forum yes, but Hellas is very familiar to those of us that studied the classical period or were/are stamp or coin collectors.  Smile

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 17:18
In that case we also have to change Germany to Deutschland/Germany, Italy to Italia/Italy, the Netherlands to Nederland/Netherlands, Switzerland to Schweiz/Suisse/Svizzera/Svizra/Switzerland etc.

Let's just stick with the English name.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 18:30
I am in favour of sticking with the English. Besides, Hellenic often refers to Greek culture and ways which extend beyond the confines of the Southern Balkans and Aegean. Greece, on the other hand, leaves one with a clear impression of the modern nation state.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 03:25
Originally posted by Constantine XI

I am in favour of sticking with the English. Besides, Hellenic often refers to Greek culture and ways which extend beyond the confines of the Southern Balkans and Aegean. Greece, on the other hand, leaves one with a clear impression of the modern nation state.

I suppose you are right.It's just that for a Hellen/Greek like me they are all the same.Tongue
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 04:09
I say call it what you want. Most of us will know what you are writing about, or are certainly not too bashful to ask. In spite of Irish influence in this country, I know where Eire is. I will probably always use the name Germany because it is shorter  and less likely to be misspelled than Deutschland. 
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 13:00
And what  about Iceland?
In german and icelandic it's Island, but in english island is just an ordinary isle. And Iceland is not an inornate Island!
So i insist in Island !!

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 15:34
The thing is that Hellas, as well as Greece, is the English equivalent for the Hellenic Ελλάς. So, i am talking about English here,not Hellenic/Greek.If it was not the case,i would not have post the topic in the first place.
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 15:52
Greece is the word that has been historically used in English with continuity and consistency, From the Latin Graecia. Hellas is just the translitteration of the Greek word 'Ελλάς, as yourself mentioned.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 15:59
Greece is more familiar, I prefer it for official forum use.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 23:32
Why can't the English speak Engilsh? I don't know, perhaps all those other languages out there get in the way? Joking aside, having respect respect for the language of others is a two way street.  If we all spoke in the same way what a dull world this would be!
elenos
 Post Reply Post Reply