Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Academy of Gundishapur

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Academy of Gundishapur
    Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 03:41

Do you know any Iranian scientists before Islam except Bozorgmehr?

Edited by sirius99 - 26-Oct-2006 at 03:42
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 18:02
That's good enough, thanks.
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 16:28

Well, I can't remember much, except bits and pieces of info from my History of Science and Classical Islamic Civilisation courses I took this term. I don't know if it was destroyed or not, but I know that it was still an important center of science (especially translations from Greek to Arabic via Nestorian priests) during Early Islamic and Umawwid periods.

Other than this, I have no info

[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 18:15
very interesting. Do you have a source for that Ihsan?  Do you know how it was destroyed?
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 17:41
Gundishapur wasn't destroyed when the Muslim Arabs captured it, the Nestorian priests living there continued to serve them later. Most of the translations of classical works into Arabic were done there.
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 00:50
I would like to see what others think.......
Thanks
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 16:16
Bozorgmehr and Khezamradus were its greatest scientists.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 15:32
"The Academy of Gundishapur was founded by Sassanids during the reign of Shapur I of Persia. It is located in the present-day province of Khuzestan, in the southwest of Iran, not so far from the Karun river.It was build in a city named Gondishapur, one of the importants Persian cities of the time.Gundishapur University and Academy were important centers of science, philosophy, and medicine in the ancient world."(from Wikipedia)
They say it was the greatest university and academt the world had yet seen. Even better tham Plato's Academy or Aristotle's Lycium. Most of Greek scholar's went there since the banding of the Academy(of plato in athens)by rome. Almost all the sources that Iranian scientists after islam like Avecinna and Khwarizmi used were provided by ancient Persian scientists in Gundishapur university. It was the heart of science and philosophy of its time. There Zoroastrian philosophy ,Greek knowledge, Babylonian astronomy were mixed to create a great university. Zoroastrians have always been described as wise people who love sciences by Arabs that destroyed them.
 Post Reply Post Reply