Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Silly News Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Silly News Thread
    Posted: 24-Jun-2008 at 23:14
A strange man.

Brave? Maybe.

-Insane? Highly.

-Adventerous? Absolutely!

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 24-Jun-2008 at 23:17
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 03:28
This one makes me shake my head in disbelief, what fascists:

An eight-year-old boy has sparked an unlikely outcry in Sweden after failing to invite two of his classmates to his birthday party.

The boy's school says he has violated the children's rights and has complained to the Swedish Parliament.

The school, in Lund, southern Sweden, argues that if invitations are handed out on school premises then it must ensure there is no discrimination.

The boy's father has lodged a complaint with the parliamentary ombudsman.

He says the two children were left out because one did not invite his son to his own party and he had fallen out with the other one.

The boy handed out his birthday invitations during class-time and when the teacher spotted that two children had not received one the invitations were confiscated.

"My son has taken it pretty hard," the boy's father told the newspaper Sydsvenskan.

"No one has the right to confiscate someone's property in this way, it's like taking someone's post," he added.

A verdict on the matter is likely to be reached in September, in time for the next school year.

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 11:45

^^^^I will not tell, when my next birthday party will teke place.....

unbelievable...

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2008 at 02:16
The Swedes are certainly providing my sluggish start to the day with an invigorating boost; sometimes all you can do is laugh:

Drunken Swede tries to row home

A last drink proved one too many for a 78-year-old Swede who fell asleep while trying to row home - from Denmark.

Reports say the man had been drinking in the Danish town of Helsingor but found he did not have enough money for the ferry home to Sweden.

Instead of waiting until morning, he stole a dinghy and tried to row the 5km (three miles) across the Oresund Strait to Helsingborg, police said.

But he fell asleep half way and drifted until he was rescued by the coastguard.

Map%20of%20Demark%20and%20Sweden

The man, who has not been named, was found still asleep in the bottom of the boat, and towed back across the strait - a busy shipping lane - to Denmark.

He was put on the next ferry home after he had sobered up, writes the Danish news service Ritzau.

Police said the owner of the dinghy had decided not to press charges, Reuters reports.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2008 at 08:22
Haha yeah I just read that Constantine, it's good the man who owned the dinghy didn't want to press charges, adds to the story a little.
Dynbertawe View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Dynbertawe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2008 at 10:56
PCness gone too far again, I thought the UK was bad!!
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2008 at 21:45
Time to update this thread. Watch out Mickey Mouse:

Mickey Mouse is an agent of Satan and must die, a prominent Muslim cleric has declared.

Sheikh Muhammad Munajid, a former Saudi ambassador to the US, railed against the Disney favourite for being "impure" and a dangerous influence to children during a lengthy diatribe on an Arab TV, The Telegraph reported.

The high-profile cleric reasoned that under Sharia (Islamic) law, all rodents — whether real or fictitious — were "soldiers" of Satan and "steered" by him.

"The mouse is a repulsive, corrupting creature," Sheikh Munajid said to network al-Majd.

"How do you think children view mice today — after Tom and Jerry? Even creatures that are repulsive by nature, by logic … are loved by children. Even mice.

"Mickey Mouse has become an awesome character, even though according to Islamic law, Mickey Mouse should be killed in all cases."

Sheikh Munajid made the comments after the network asked him to detail Islam's approach to mice.

He gained notoriety last month for dubbing the Beijing Olympics the "bikini Olympics" over what he perceived as skimpy clothing being worn by the athletes.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment/632380/mickey-mouse-agent-of-satan

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2008 at 02:15
Clown
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2008 at 17:29

and they planed to teach Donald Duck to fly and will use him for an air attack?

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2008 at 02:36
Time for an update, this time from my home country. Big brother doesn't need to watch when little brother won't make use of his brain:

A Sydney call centre employee has learnt the hard way why it's best not to add your boss as a friend on Facebook.

Kyle Doyle, 21, was caught "throwing a sickie" after bragging about his day off on the social networking site — while telling his employer he took the day off for "medical reasons".

Mr Doyle, an employee at telecommunications firm AAPT in the inner city suburb of Glebe, posted this status update on Facebook after failing to show up to work on August 21: "Kyle Doyle is not going to work, f*** it I'm still trashed. SICKIE WOO!"

According to an email trail now sweeping inboxes, AAPT's workforce operations manager Niresh Regmi then contacted My Doyle asking him to provide a medical certificate for his sick leave day.

Not knowing his incriminating status post had been uncovered, Mr Doyle, who works in technical support, tried to argue his way out of trouble.

"1 day leave absences do not require a medical certificate as stated in my contract, provided I have stated that I am on leave for medical reasons," his reply email read.

Mr Regmi: "Usually that is the case… however please note that leave during these occasions is only granted for genuine medical reasons.

"You [sic] line manager has determined that your leave was not due to medical reasons and as such we cannot grant leave on this occasion."

Sticking to his story, Mr Doyle insisted his day off was due to medical reasons and challenged his boss to provide proof otherwise.

In response, Mr Regmi delivered his trump card — a screengrab of Mr Doyle's Facebook page.

Mr Doyle realised his game was up, responding in jest: "HAHAHA LMAO [laughing my arse off] epic fail… no worries man."

Mr Doyle is yet to reply to ninemsn's Facebook message requestinga comment — but he has changed his Facebook status to "trying to hide".

It is not clear what disciplinary action Mr Doyle may face from his employer over the fiasco.

Last night a concerned friend posted a query on Mr Doyle's online message board asking about the fallout and the 21-year-old replied: "lol [laugh out loud] don't know yet".

Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2008 at 11:01
Haha I read that article before coming to AE and I guess he earnt that one, and its also the same reason why having your mother as a friend on it can get inconvenient at times.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2008 at 11:50
When you become manager in a workplace and many of your colleagues/subordinates (whom you are responsible for and must maintain respectability for) are on your facebook, you also need to be careful about what you put on there.

The bloke in the article was just brazenly dumb, but he got his 15 minutes of fame out of it.
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 20:43
[QUOTE=Aelfgifu]

Baggy Pants Banned; Mayor Says 'Cover Up'

Town Council Call Saggy Britches Obscene

DELCAMBRE, La. -- Overly saggy britches are obscene, the Delcambre Town Council says. So does Mayor Carol Broussard, who said he will sign an anti-sag ordinance passed unanimously this week.

The new indecent exposure ordinance in this Cajun-country town of about 2,000 carries penalties of up to six months in jail and a $500 fine for being caught in pants that show undergarments or, in the mayor's phrase, [QUOTE]

ClapBig%20smileLOLThumbs%20Up I rather like that law wish they had it hereBig%20smile

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2012 at 22:08
City announces plans to get rid of pesky pigeons by getting them drunk
Pigeon 
Pigeons are causing a problem in Sumy 

A Ukrainian city blighted by pesky pigeons is mulling over radical plans to get the birds drunk on wine before deporting them.

Officials in the north-eastern city of Sumy are considering the strange move after growing tired of the increasing number of pigeons running amok in the area.

According to local news reports, they have been particularly irked by the large amount of bird droppings falling on a statue of famous Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko. 

The problem has been magnified by Sumy's upcoming prestigious City Day celebrations, which take place across the country to remember the day each city across Ukraine was founded.

Eager for the city to look its best, desperate official Alexei Movchan believes he has found the perfect solution to Sumy's pigeon problem.

'Let’s give them wine-soaked bread and then deport them somewhere where they’ll wake up the next day,' announced Movchan, who heads the city branch of the ruling Party of Regions.

Movchan denied the controversial move would infringe animal rights groups, insisting it is a tried and tested custom practised regularly by an Orthodox Christian monastery in west Ukraine.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/906241-city-announces-plans-to-get-rid-of-pesky-pigeons-by-getting-them-drunk

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 26-Jul-2012 at 22:12
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345