Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBody building

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Body building
    Posted: 09-May-2007 at 07:48
i use to gym 3-4 a week for an hour or more each time. i went from the low 50's to a touch over 70 kg, no drugs but it took three years on and off. Now i have to get back into it, as i do miss the great feeling of a hard workout and it aint fair on my partner who met me when i was at my peak.

Originally posted by TheDiplomat

so have you onserved any change in the looks of girls at you?Wink I am curious to learn if girls place a very high value on very muscled-look men.

what do you think?
from my own memory they do dig the toned built body. Most i girsl i know dont like hugely built 'tanks' but they do dig built up and toned. One's  posture and attitude changes when they are built, so that helps even before you wear the singletWink

Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I work out yes... I would not call it body-building though... I do karate training once a week (1 1/2 hour) and I try to go to the gym twice a week. (1 1/2 hours as well, although 45 mins of that are spend on various cardiomachines. I prefer the cross-trainer thing...) I am trying to lose weight (since I was 16, so my hopes are not high...), but since december, I have lost not a single pound. I still weigh more than Constantine... Embarrassed, but it seems that some of the padding is starting to turn into firmness, so I'll just take that as an achievement...
muscle weighs more than fat, so weight isnt a good measure. In your cardio work out; instead of just going just fast, change your speed from slow to fast to slow again every 5 min or so (honest cant remember the exact timing) as this stimulates you metabolism.

Edited by Leonidas - 09-May-2007 at 07:49
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 08:36

Originally posted by Constantine XI

I moved suburbs at the beginning of the year and joined up at a newer and much more modern gym. I'm loving the results, I have gone from 74 to 77 KG since January - all of it lean muscle.

so have you onserved any change in the looks of girls at you?Wink I am curious to learn if girls place a very high value on very muscled-look men.

what do you think?

Girls, in general, don't like beefed up guys, but they do like an athletic and strong solid slender build.  For certain, I get noticed more now than before I started training.  It also makes you more confident about yourself.

Edited by Zagros - 09-May-2007 at 08:37
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 09:40

Originally posted by Constantine XI

I moved suburbs at the beginning of the year and joined up at a newer and much more modern gym. I'm loving the results, I have gone from 74 to 77 KG since January - all of it lean muscle.

what do you think?

Well I started out exercising in my mid teens at 16, as a very overweight adolescent. Within a year (and what a lot of effort!) I was very lean. So lean, that as a 189 cm 16 year old I was rather lanky looking Thumbs%20Down

So of course, with so much self discipline and energy built up from the weight loss, I just went straight into weight lifting. And progress has been good ever since.

And I did want to do well with girls as it was at that age that I first started dating (in other words, I was a typical adolescent boy), girls are a damn fine way of motivating a guy to get to gym Wink. What I found half confirms your question about girls, but half disproves it.

A hot body is one crucial thing which will initiate attraction.  And when you want to catch a girl's eye, or want her to be interested if you meet her at a party, or need to outshine your competition somehow - a strong and lean body can give that advantage.

HOWEVER, as that mid adolescent version of me quickly found out, you can't expect your looks to do all the work for you. Girls love confidence, a good sense of humour also. Good social skills, confidence, charm - all these things are what sustains the attraction. And just like a good body, all these things can be developed and sculpted through getting out there and having a go, persevering, not getting discouraged and having some belief in yourself.

So to sum up, a good body (I recommend lean with a decent amount of muscle, V shaped torso, good arms and a bit of a tan) will give you advantage in initiating attaction and getting her interest. But sustaining that interest is another matter. You really can't rely on good looks to make it all happen.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 09:54
I'd say that well built bodies are a bonus, but by no means a requirement. Not to me anyway.

By all means, do not overdo it: the bigger you get, the smaller we think your brains are...Wink And no tanktops...please

Originally posted by leonidas

In your cardio work out; instead of just going just fast, change your speed from slow to fast to slow again every 5 min or so (honest cant remember the exact timing) as this stimulates you metabolism.

I do that... I always do the 'surprise' program... Which is a name that scares me...I am alwas so sure I will not like the surprise...Tongue But generally it is ok. Some nice music, and the Discovery Channel are a great help...

I climbed the Eiffel Tower on foot last weekend. 700-and-then-some steps... I think that counts as working out. And I walked from the Arc d'Triomphe to St. Germain via the Centre Pompidou, which I will consider a full workout to compensate for the French cheese and sausage...Wink

Edited by Aelfgifu - 09-May-2007 at 10:10

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 10:29

I'd say that well built bodies are a bonus, but by no means a requirement. Not to me anyway.

By all means, do not overdo it: the bigger you get, the smaller we think your brains are...Wink And no tanktops...please

Thanks for the reflecting the feminine point of view, Aelgifu Smile very good explanation.

but what does tanktop mean?
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 10:37
Tanktops are tight sleeveless shirts, which, I my opinion, should only be worn by girls and gays. Wink

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 10:50

Tanktops are tight sleeveless shirts, which, I my opinion, should only be worn by girls and gays. Wink

Why do u think so?Confused I look thinner in it, so I like wearing it.. it also shows man muscles....actually girls do not need to war it, since the anotomic curves of them are easily visibleWink
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 11:01
Ah, I am just not a big fan of men in tight shirts... But if you feel good in it, do not let my opinions spoil the fun. You should always wear clothes that you find comfortable and make you feel confident, and I am sure there are many girls who disagree with me...Wink

Tigris View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2015 at 21:28
This post may be inactive but I believe a mix of weights/bodybuilding with a martial art discipline and some stretching movements is a better way to enjoy bodybuilding . I started off with weight-training then I did some kickboxing . I also learnt the importance of stretching for better kicks and torque whilst at my kickboxing club. 

Stretching also helps with post-workout recovery from my own findings.

Edited by Tigris - 13-Sep-2015 at 21:39
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2015 at 15:32
As a matter of fact it is an excellent methodolgy-regime. I found it to so with Kendo once... and now with occasional yoga and tai chi.

I couple this to walking and biking and light weights for toning.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Tigris View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2015 at 16:16
I like this structure you got there CV Smile. Kendo is awesome ....I have been buying some training tools from Cold Steel and I also have some bamboo sticks at home that I practise with . I believe Cold Steel is an American company ?  They have an outlet here. 

Yoga is underetimated . And so is walking . But you got a good combo there ....Walking and biking for aerobic fitness and the weights for toning . Weights definitely help in toning and increase your metabolism in the long run.  I would like to give Tai Chi a go.

May I ask if you incorporate any bodyweight exercises ?
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2015 at 18:28
That was always a focus during mil service as mandatory weight standards had to be maintained-encouraged... as was a low body fat ratio and muscle developement...At one point mine was around 15%. Today as last measured it's about 23%. I have, otoh, always enjoyed a high metabolic function which helped.

So core exercises per se while often practiced during the routine of daily physical training and service intramural sports have given way some.

When you get past 60...and I am...the concern becomes one of maintaining good heart and lung health, joint flexibility, muscle tone, and doing those things necessary to lessen risks from liver-kidney and cancer related illness. For me that's avoiding salt, lessening processed foods, the use of herbals, a damn near disappearance of the consumption of alcohol, less an occasional glass of wine, and exercise as noted above.

Core specifics like 'mountain climbers' etc...have given way to table assisted 'squats' and the use of stairs. I'm a good swimmer but don't enjoy it as much anymore..altho a 40-60 foot stretch of cliff face and incline climbing at 45 degrees, in the foothills, is still occasionally a delight.

But old men think their young. Only to find their not. The consolation remains do what ya can when ya can and listen to the experts.

For the middle aged and beyond....watch what you eat... drink good fluids especially water...Have an annual physical and start slow until one finds a comfort zone... and keep on doing it until they put you in the ground.....that is the key. Iow... don't quit.

I am being treated for Crohn's disease for example and life can be no fun at times. But in the end, my will over the pain and discomfort with the associated symptoms is what can help heal me.

My brothers in the Cavalry, current and long gone, expect no less.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 14-Sep-2015 at 18:36

S. T. Friedman

Tigris View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2015 at 20:31
You know your stuff well. I admire your will and you have an impressive resume there  . Hill/ Cliff climbing at 45 degrees , now this is a physical task I'd like to tackle . That must be so very demanding on the thighs . 

Yes important attention must also be paid to heart /lung health. 

I assume your drills while in the mil were mainly around  push-ups, pull-ups , negotiating monkey bars ,  and rope climbing....Of course as you pointed out all core stuff .

Honestly table assisted squats and stairs aren't a bad thing . I enjoy stair running but it is tough on the knees. 

A little of the topic , do you enjoy a game of chess CV Smile ? 

Edited by Tigris - 14-Sep-2015 at 20:47
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2015 at 23:26
ref 1. yes but the conditioning drills and 'focus' has changed to include more preparatory stretching and flexibility exercising coupled to strength conditioning.

They learned the hard way that running miles in combat boots was tuff on knees and calves and arches. Running in formation, while still a conditioning exercise, is more for unit motivation and to instill discipline in new troops in training now coupled to a personal motivation...more than anything.

As for Chess? Yes once long ago.

War gaming in service...ie. board games, otoh were a methodology to teach tactics to junior level leaders...tied with staff rides, sand table exercises etc.

S. T. Friedman

Tigris View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2015 at 13:41
So strength conditioning has been added to the drills . I had been on the Navy Seals official website and  found a pdf document on Navy Seal training , and the way you have described the drills is very similar to the structure of the seals workout . There is a big emphasis on swimming . 

Would I be right to say that strength conditioning i.e weight training was not an important component of military fitness in the past? .....It was interesting to note how the Navy Seals programme had an entire plan on weightlifting. 

The hardest part is nutrition lol!

Edited by Tigris - 15-Sep-2015 at 13:43
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2015 at 14:02
Weight training during my tenure was virtually non existent..Understand the time context tho....early 70's thru mid 90's.

The traditional physical training drills were in actuality a carryover from the earlier WW2 period...which in turn did not change much in nature from then thru Korea and Vietnam.

The FM dealing with it was standardized for many years...there were several different drills but the focus remained the same. As time would progress certain appendices were added that noted the value of weight training.

But given the limited amount of daily time devoted to p-training the emphasis by a command on 'it' was directed towards individuals conducting it as an individual 'optional' addition.

Not uncommon as it remains that way to this very day in many regards.

SOF units were and remain different in that the command recognized the additional need and focus to be tailored to their specific mission parameters and objectives and goals.

If an individual wishes to pursue additional p-training using weights..it is encouraged; and general conditioning programs are established and then monitored by a unit's MFT...Master Fitness Trainer. This can be for example during a period of established p-training time (generally an intro with a 'session' once or twice a week) but most often is an individual 'off duty' time commitment.

Intramural weightlifting and training and competitive events are likewise encouraged and conducted.

All of these require additional training and even certification iaw. with maintaining safety for the soldiers.

Additional 'commando style' or infantry specific p-training is used for confidence and unit morale building purposes.

Examples of this include: wall and net and log climbing...bayonet drills and pugil stick and in certain environs hand to hand drills.

S. T. Friedman

Tigris View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2015 at 14:30
That film Full Metal Jacket , apparently the actor who played their Drill Instructor made a replica Marine base plus all the physical drill equipment . The wall and net climbing is well shown in there . Not to omit the mandatory pull-ups.

Which makes me adds to your point , that weight training was virtually non-existent. I know its just a movie but it probably would have been shown in there also. 

I would say running and marching with weapons and equipment is also worth mentioning . You would know much more than me here. 
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2015 at 15:09
It's quite effective...especially if carried at 'port arms' and you make them constrict their abdominals. Inverse weapons pushups are a arm breaker...good for arms, chest, and core.

As an SROTC instructor; my Cadets were required to carry duplicate copies of M!6's, ie. rubber, non functioning but weighing the same during their Friday morning 'run'.

They hated me for it. But I never lost one to a PRT test when it came to the push up requirement.

7.18 lbs for 3 miles is no fun.

S. T. Friedman

Tigris View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2015 at 17:11
Inverse weapons push ups , they sound hard . Meaning with the weapons/load on the back whilst doing a push up?
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2015 at 18:12
inverse might be the wrong term....my geometry lessons are over 40 years ago.

specifically I mean lying on the back..and pushing up from the chest.. a loaded pack-sand bag etc.. (strength) or rifle (tone).

Both while constricting the abs.

they are in effect a modified bench press supported not by the bench but the ground or floor.

much less chance for a back or shoulder injury.

Key here was teaching them to hold the constriction for only a short period to avoid obvious potential injury... eg. 3-5 seconds to begin and later 5-7 seconds all the while lifting.

We would make them count out loud 'one thousand one' and so forth. until they had accomplished the number of expected lifts...this is a real good exercise for developing lung expansion as well.

Its actually more effective for women strength development than men, I found.

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>