Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dragons, a Global Concept, Hardwired?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dragons, a Global Concept, Hardwired?
    Posted: 06-May-2007 at 10:09
 Throughout history, dragons influenced wars, science, art, and religion. They appear in almost every culture and many still believe in dragons. How could different cultures, isolated by geology and millennia, all invent the same creature? If the dragon is simply the product of our imagination, how could distant peoples, with no knowledge of each other, all invent the same beast?  Some say it's from survival instincts that have been hardwired into our brains and evolved with us.  They point to three animals, a large cat, a predatory meat eating bird and the snake.  All three could have preyed on our ancestors and the Dragon is an evolved idea combining elements from all three.  What do you think?  
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 10:19
I heard that too, and I think it can very well be true.

To this day quite a few Chinese people still believe in mystical dragons. So much so that archeologist have a hard time finding complete sets of bones in some areas because the locals take them for folk medicine.

There are also flood myths, but I think tht has to do with people expierencing great tragedies throughout history rather then it being hardwired in the mind.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 11:15
Yeah, maybe they all saw dinosaur bones over time?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 15:24
Originally posted by Dan Carkner

Yeah, maybe they all saw dinosaur bones over time?

Agreed that it's possible in many cases but not every where.  Also, how would you account for the perception of those bones as being of a dragon?  Where did the concept of an animal like the dragon come from.  If the concept is global and you remove the possibility of communications between, say, Malaysia and the plains of North America, how do you account for the perception to be the same?  In several cultures, separated by thousands of miles, the renderings of dragons are nearly identical.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 15:31
I would extend your definition to, hardwired to perceive monsters. Vampires seems pretty universal worldwide, werewolves/windigo, ghosts and spirits, witches and so on.

I think the answer lies back in a previous post about religions. Like all prey, preyed upon by predators, we've been hardwired by evolution to have a fear and wariness of the unknown and darkness. In the modern human brain this has developed into cunjering even more predatory monsters than the animals that used to hunt us, because they're no more terrifying to us. The new monsters we create are however based upon the animals, scales, claws, teeth ect.

Edited by Paul - 06-May-2007 at 15:33
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 15:56
Originally posted by Paul

I would extend your definition to, hardwired to perceive monsters. Vampires seems pretty universal worldwide, werewolves/windigo, ghosts and spirits, witches and so on.

I think the answer lies back in a previous post about religions. Like all prey, preyed upon by predators, we've been hardwired by evolution to have a fear and wariness of the unknown and darkness. In the modern human brain this has developed into cunjering even more predatory monsters than the animals that used to hunt us, because they're no more terrifying to us. The new monsters we create are however based upon the animals, scales, claws, teeth ect.

None of the others you mention are as pervasive to every culture as the dragon.  But the rest is what you and I have been discussing.  The point here is, how and why are the perceptions so similar?  Does this start to come around to the "other Reason" alternative.
Unknown.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 00:49

None of the others you mention are as pervasive to every culture as the dragon

I would argue that dragons are not pervasive in the Americas or Africa or Australia regions isolated from the major Eurasian culture groups.

Certainly it can be said that the Americas had Thunder Bird and Quetzelcoatl, but these can hardly be similar to the notions of Old World dragons.

African myths feature many prominent serpents, but again these are very unlike Western and Eastern dragons.

Australians up till very recent times, basically lived with dragons, or at least creatures entirely alien to anything else.

I believe that Dragons as they are seen through Western eyes are uniquely a Eurasian mythological creature, and even the differences between the West and East make the creature almost entirely separate.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 01:10

It may be. In the Americas there are many myths about giant serpents and "composite" serpents, but it seem the concept of dragon (a flying reptile-like monster that spit fire) is not found like that, as far as I know.

Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 15:52
Originally posted by Paul

It's because the idea of god is universal, you may find egyptions worshiping Ra, Greeks worshiping Zeus.... .so devils, vampires, werewolve and spirits are invented as being oppose to the almighty god. 
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 16:12
Originally posted by red clay

Throughout history, dragons influenced wars, science, art, and religion. They appear in almost every culture and many still believe in dragons. How could different cultures, isolated by geology and millennia, all invent the same creature? If the dragon is simply the product of our imagination, how could distant peoples, with no knowledge of each other, all invent the same beast?  Some say it's from survival instincts that have been hardwired into our brains and evolved with us.  They point to three animals, a large cat, a predatory meat eating bird and the snake.  All three could have preyed on our ancestors and the Dragon is an evolved idea combining elements from all three.  What do you think?  

I ran the quote to be able to keep this on topic.  Dragons, the topic is dragons and how is it possible they are so similar worldwide.  

Edited by red clay - 07-May-2007 at 16:46
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 16:31
Janus wrote-

I would argue that dragons are not pervasive in the Americas or Africa or Australia regions isolated from the major Eurasian culture groups.

Certainly it can be said that the Americas had Thunder Bird and Quetzelcoatl, but these can hardly be similar to the notions of Old World dragons.

African myths feature many prominent serpents, but again these are very unlike Western and Eastern dragons.

You could argue it, but you would looseBig%20smile  Again, dragons are pervasive, every culture has a dragon like figure.  Yes, Quetzelcoatl is a dragon, it has all the elements.  Q evolved from an earlier creature, name escapes me, that was even more dragon like and less stylized.

Dragons have three major groups, with wings, without wings but flys, and without wings but does not fly.  All of them have the capacity to breath fire.  Not all of them are dieties or gods in some fashion.   The plains Indians had dragons that were very similar to chinese dragons as they appeared 2-3- thousand years ago.  If you examine African "serpents"  you will find they have the same features and elements as any other dragon.

Janus, you are confusing artistic handling with the subject matter.  As to "western" dragons, you have to look at them from before the Catholic church demonized them and put a satanic spin on them.  Prior to that they were very different.

Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 16:45
It's because the idea of god is universal, you may find egyptions worshiping Ra, Greeks worshiping Zeus.... .so devils, vampires, werewolve and spirits are invented as being oppose to the almighty god. 

I don't agree that the idea of god was universal,  however not the topic.  None of the above mentioned are as pervasive or as early as dragons.  Also, in many cultures dragons were thought of as very real animals,not spirits or gods.  That concept could have easily grown from dinosaur bones.  "Look, dragons are real, here are it's bones".  It wouldn't matter that no one had actually seen one.  A hunter gatherer skilled in survival would look at those teeth in the fossil and automatically assume 1. they are real.   2. Something best to stay away from, and wouldn't want to see one.
Unknown.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 23:47

You could argue it, but you would looseBig%20smile  Again, dragons are pervasive, every culture has a dragon like figure.

Huh? You tell me I've lost when you've just repeated your earlier arguement. What are the elements that detail a dragon?

Here is what wikipedia describes as dragons:

The dragon is a mythical creature typically depicted as a large and powerful serpent or other reptile with magical or spiritual qualities. Mythological creatures possessing some or most of the characteristics typically associated with dragons are common throughout the world's cultures.[1]

Dragons are commonly portrayed as serpentine or reptilian, hatching from eggs and possessing extremely large, typically scaly, bodies; they are sometimes portrayed as having large eyes, a feature that is the origin for the word for dragon in many cultures, and are often (but not always) portrayed with wings and a fiery breath. Some dragons do not have wings at all, but look more like long snakes. Dragons can have a variable number of legs: none, two, four, or more when it comes to early European literature. Modern depictions of dragons are very large in size, but some early European depictions of dragons were only the size of bears, or, in some cases, even smaller, around the size of a butterfly.

So basically all a dragon is is a creature that is serpentine in nature, may or may not have wings, may or may not have any number of legs, and may be of any size. Oh and it must have some magical or spiritual significance.

I'd say that with that definition you could call anything snake-like a dragon as long as it's mystical. This doesn't mean that dragons are universal, it means that the definition sucks. So what do you believe defines a dragon?

All "dragons" not of Old World origin are merely mythical snakes, and it's easy to understand how snakes are involved in nearly every mythology since snakes are represented on every continent except antarctica. Therefore dragons are not universal, snakes are.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 06:09
your title is well chosen.Tongue
Unknown.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 09:23
I agree with JanusRook, but the fact that 'dragon' covers a considerable number of 'species' doesn't mean that they aren't titivated folk memories of actual beasts - just that there must have been a considerable variety of such beasts.

As indeed there was a considerable variety of dinosaurs.

Of course it doesn't prove they are folk memories either.

Edited by gcle2003 - 09-May-2007 at 09:23
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 05:29
while most cultures may have a mythical animal which could be called a dragon, most of these have little resemblance to each other, or are mythical snakes. is anyone seriously saying they think it's possible that giant flying fire breathing reptiles exist(ed)?
El Pollo Loco View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote El Pollo Loco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 17:04
It is possible that dragons are memories of living dinosaurs. Now before you laugh (you might already have done so) think for a moment. If you beleive the bible is right, then the theory is without any doubt. If you beleive evolution is right, then you have probably already disregarded what I have said as stupidity. But you cannot say in the most absolute sense that things are extinct, unless you know everything about the earth. There is still a huge bit to uncover. Also, you have to realize that the fossils that have been found are only the most minute number of all dinosaurs that ever existed. If (this is theoretical) evolution were right, and something killed most of the dinosaurs however many million years ago, is it not possible that some lived in more isolated places until mor recent (in evolutionist terms) times? We have only found a few thousand fossils of dinosaurs, and most are just one or two bones. It isnt impossible to have missed a the few from more recent times, from the more isolated places. Most bones arent found in the middle of the brazilian rain forest, as most people arent searching there.

Here is a good link on these things:
www.s8int .com
Its fun to read, and interesting, and I am sure some of the accounts are true, but not the majority.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 19:02
Pffffffffff I seen this hypothesis so often and guess what it does not stand on anything but stories such as StGeorges. Otherwise why didn't we find any marks of weapon near to dinos bones or dinos bones mixed with mammouth?

Another ultra pervasive belief just shows how weak such a rationale is: men with animal parts (they are there in Egypt, Europe, Africa, East Asia, America etc) even the Apocalypse of St John (if I record correctly or the Coran)
I am a free donkey!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2007 at 07:59
Originally posted by El Pollo Loco

It is possible that dragons are memories of living dinosaurs. Now before you laugh (you might already have done so) think for a moment. If you beleive the bible is right, then the theory is without any doubt. If you beleive evolution is right, then you have probably already disregarded what I have said as stupidity. But you cannot say in the most absolute sense that things are extinct, unless you know everything about the earth. There is still a huge bit to uncover. Also, you have to realize that the fossils that have been found are only the most minute number of all dinosaurs that ever existed. If (this is theoretical) evolution were right, and something killed most of the dinosaurs however many million years ago, is it not possible that some lived in more isolated places until mor recent (in evolutionist terms) times? We have only found a few thousand fossils of dinosaurs, and most are just one or two bones. It isnt impossible to have missed a the few from more recent times, from the more isolated places. Most bones arent found in the middle of the brazilian rain forest, as most people arent searching there.

Here is a good link on these things:
www.s8int .com
Its fun to read, and interesting, and I am sure some of the accounts are true, but not the majority.

I don't know where you get the information about the fossils,  no, we haven't found all dino species.  We have found about 20-30% and most are either full skeletal or at least 50% not "just 1-2 bones".  

The site that you posted is a compilation of creationist drivel.  This site attempts to legitimize ideas such as the "young Earth" theory and other desparate concepts.
Unknown.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2007 at 11:25
The reason why rain forests are not searched is because the earth there is very acide (like in Japan for instance) and in these conditions nothing can be preserved in there. That is also the reason why fossils of primates are difficult to find as opposed to say elephants of whales.
I am a free donkey!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>