Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim women fight for women's rights in Italy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslim women fight for women's rights in Italy
    Posted: 04-May-2007 at 15:41
WOW, I was amazed to read this article about how Muslim women who migrated to Italy are still being abused by their husbands, are still not employed, are still not being educated, dont speak the language, are not integrated into society, and are still properties of their husbands.   The article states that although most of the men find jobs and learn the language (Italian), the wives stay at home and are totally dependent on her husband for support. Some of the women dont legally exist in Italy because their husbands dont get them residence permits. Shame, shame on the men who keep treating their life-long partners like this, while the Italian government turns a blind eye to the abuses of Muslim women. Shame, shame on you!

Source:   http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2007-05-04T161233Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-296714-1.xml&archived=False
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 15:50
It is not surprising. In Helllas/Greece ,in the area of Thrace ,most of the women of the Muslim Minority do not get proper education ,they get married very young and with arranged marriages. I do not say that there are no exceptions, but ,in my opinion ,few.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 16:23
Originally posted by Spartakus

It is notsurprising. In Helllas/Greece ,in the area of Thrace ,most of the women of the Muslim Minority do not get proper education ,they get married very young and with arranged marriages. I do not say that there are no exceptions, but ,in my opinion ,few.

It's too bad that the parents don't think enough of their "daughters" to adequately educate them. I'm sure the "sons" are more highly thought of and are encouraged to get an education and succeed in life.   
"Morty

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 02:28
are still being abused by their husbands

No different to western women then. Domestic violence transceeds conditions.
are still not employed,

To be fair most are probably far too busy with and interested in raised their kids to think about work.
are still not being educated

You expect a 30yr old refugee to go to school as soon as she gets off the boat?
dont speak the language

Combine the last two answers and you'll understand the reason to this one too. To be honest I have many friends whose mothers don't speak english or who learnt it off their kids. They are from a very diverse group of backgrounds too. I have even more friends who have at least one grandmother in the country that don't speak english. In fact I kind of expect Grandmothers not to be able to speak English.
the wives stay at home and are totally dependent on her husband for support

Without a shadow of a doubt the men are totally dependent on his wife to survive too.
Some of the women dont legally exist in Italy because their husbands dont get them residence permits.

Thats just stupid. I suspect it might have something to do with it being eaiser to get residence for single men though? Just a guess.
Shame, shame on the men who keep treating their life-long partners like this

Hold on Hold on. Why is it the mans fault?
Are you telling me that its the mans job to get his wife a job, teach his wife Italin, teach her Nuclear physics, look after the kids, and earn the income? While is is the mans duty to look after the kids and earn the income, the wife has to take responsibilty for the other three herself.

I'm really surprised to see such a sexist attitude coming from you of all people Morty. The position of women is determined by the women themselves, men can't force women to change it.

encouraged to get an education and succeed in life.

Succeed in life? How is getting married and having a family failing?

Originally posted by Sparto

In Helllas/Greece ,in the area of Thrace ,most of the women of the Muslim Minority do not get proper education ,they get married very young and with arranged marriages.

I know enough Greeks to know that its not only the muslims of Hellas that do that. (And there is nothing wrong with arranged marriages anyway... At least in the eastern style, the western one was a bit cruel)

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 05-May-2007 at 02:29
northpakistani View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote northpakistani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 13:53
Well actually, Morticia, this is not only true for Muslim's in Italy, it's the same for 98% of Muslim's everywhere, in the world. The women are culturally, and Islamically interpreted as her husband's property. The men have freedom to marry as many as they want (usually 4) regardless of how his wife feels. Women rarely are ever heard, and constantly abused. If any woman tries to stand up for herself, she's looked down upon, and is risking more dangerous abuse from her husband.
A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.

-- Albert Einstein
northpakistani View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote northpakistani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 13:57

The veil is the best example of suppressing a woman's freedom to express herself. She is kept hidden under a veil, usually under the supervision of her husband....which shows perfectly how Islamic women are culturally put down. This goes to show that women do not have the right to express their own opinions, but are completely controlled by men.

Edited by northpakistani - 05-May-2007 at 13:58
A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.

-- Albert Einstein
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 14:38
I know enough Greeks to know that its not only the muslims of Hellas that do that. (And there is nothing wrong with arranged marriages anyway... At least in the eastern style, the western one was a bit cruel)

There is a difference here : in the Muslim minority it is customary for girls not to have a proper education and get married in a very young age.A 26 year old man is considered too old for the standards of the area.The other Hellen citizens ,aka the Orthodox ones , do not have as customary to be uneducated and married in a very young age,with the exception of the Roma and of the young Cretans.All Hellen/Greeks have ,at least ,14 years of obligatory education. Another Orthodox Christian group ,which practises to a degree arranged marriages in a very young age ,are the Russo-Pontian immigrants. But Muslims are the only ones, together with the Roma ,to have customary uneducated and married in young age women.

Edited by Spartakus - 05-May-2007 at 14:38
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 15:05
Is true of all Muslim women whom migrated to Italy with their husbands?
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 09:08
In 1867, Namik Kemal, a Turkish intellectual, published an article in which he ascribed the Muslim world's inferiority to the West to its norms for relations between the sexes: "The reason for backwardness is the way we treat our women, treating them only as suitable for producing children and nothing else."

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 09:16
Originally posted by Omar

And there is nothing wrong with arranged marriages anyway... At least in the eastern style, the western one was a bit cruel)

While acknowledging that arranged marriages in Western Civilisation are all but an anomaly these days and you are probably referring to a long discarded Western tradition of arranged marriages, could you outline the difference between the "eastern" and "western" traditions - for lack of better terms.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 09:42
Hm, Omar, I agree that woman do need to take more grip on their lives, and that emancipation is also in their own hands... but to completely deny there is a problem is very unfair on abused and repressed women...

It is not a Muslim problem, it is a development problem. But in most of Western Europe, it is portions of the Muslim society that is behind in this development, and therefore it is conceived as a Muslim problem in many of these countries.

The main point here is, I think, what these women want. If they are happy with their lives as they are, there is no problem. And some perhaps are satisfied. But those who are not happy with the situation as it is, and these are bound to exist as well, it is very very hard to get out of that situation, willpower or no. And that is a problem.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 17:08
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Some of the women dont legally exist in Italy because their husbands dont get them residence permits.

Thats just stupid. I suspect it might have something to do with it being eaiser to get residence for single men though? Just a guess.

This is one of the few question i have a certain answer, and it is no. Gender and marital status are totally immaterial as per our immigration laws.
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 22:36

Let's see. Muslim women unemployed in Italy.. This becomes the fault of men in what way? (i couldnt care less about the "Muslim" part of this, some Muslims dont even consider me Muslim). But let's say Muslim women are generally unemployed in Italy, a country where a woman can divorce her hubby and get him thrown in jail in addition to a restraining order and other gagging devices. 2+2 = 5 now? If a woman can't get a job in Italy, then this is a problem with Italian job discrimination OR Muslim women not being bothered about getting a job. Other options do not exist, with the exception perhaps of Muslim women not being able to speak the appropriate language for their job. Physical restraint is not possible since this is illegal and will get the offender arrested. Personally I think the women just can't speak the language because they could be refugees so finding a job is difficult, it's more the source of the story anyway that indicates that there might be some anti Muslim bias in there (tell em what they want to hear).

Edited by TeldeInduz - 09-May-2007 at 22:37
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 05:29
Originally posted by Constantine

While acknowledging that arranged marriages in Western Civilisation are all but an anomaly these days and you are probably referring to a long discarded Western tradition of arranged marriages, could you outline the difference between the "eastern" and "western" traditions - for lack of better terms.

By eastern traditions I mean what is commonly called - but is actually a poor translation - of the common method of finding a partner for peoples from China, India, Morroco, and all inbetween and around including many Italians. They are usually always called arranged marriages but nearly all the time are not at all like what a native english speaker thinks of as an arranged marriage. In the medaeval sterotype of western arranged marraiges the participants, especially the girl, have little say in the marriage and it is entirely arranged and prepared by the families. In what I am calling the eastern tradition, the entire family including both participants, are engaged in finding a partner, and have veto power over that marraige. In other words it is not a matter of only "picking up" the prospecitve partner, but also the parents, grandparents, and siblings before a marriage can take place. However you also have all the relations searching for a partner for you as well, thus the arrangement factor.

Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Hm, Omar, I agree that woman do need to take more grip on their lives, and that emancipation is also in their own hands... but to completely deny there is a problem is very unfair on abused and repressed women...
Now I did not actually completely deny there was a problem. In some families there quite well be a problem, however this not a situation that armchair analysts can do any good in. They can however do a great deal of bad. I think discussions like these deserve and require an injection of realism into the situation, and thats what I have attempted to do.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 06:11
Originally posted by TeldeInduz

Let's see. Muslim women unemployed in Italy.. This becomes the fault of men in what way? (i couldnt care less about the "Muslim" part of this, some Muslims dont even consider me Muslim).

You are right, it has nothing to do with you or them being a muslim, but it has quite a lot to do with you and them being male chavinist oinkers.

But let's say Muslim women are generally unemployed in Italy, a country where a woman can divorce her hubby and get him thrown in jail in addition to a restraining order and other gagging devices. 2+2 = 5 now? If a woman can't get a job in Italy, then this is a problem with Italian job discrimination OR Muslim women not being bothered about getting a job.

OR muslim women not being allowed to get a job by their husbands. duh.

Other options do not exist,
Proof of which is?
 with the exception perhaps of Muslim women not being able to speak the appropriate language for their job.
Which might just have something to do with husbands not allowing their wives to learn. There are great advantages to a wife that does not speak the lagnguage if you want to keep her obedient

Physical restraint is not possible since this is illegal and will get the offender arrested.
This is either unbelievably naive, ignorantly stupid, or jus BS. I'm leaning towards the last. Domestic abuse happens anywhere, any place, in any sort of culture and society, completely hidden from the publics eye. Muslim women are covered head to toe, who will see the bruises? And if they break and arm, they just say they fell off the stairs. ANd if they turn their husbands in, what are they going to live on, being uneducated and not speaking the language?
But in general, physical force is not a necessety. Mental imprisonment is ar more useful as it offers no escape.

, it's more the source of the story anyway that indicates that there might be some anti Muslim bias in there (tell em what they want to hear).

I'm sure the tabloids will be fast to point the finger at Islam. I do not believe it is Islam that is to blame, but I do believe that Islam seems to encourage the opression of women as interpreted by these undereducated people. Just as the Bible can be abused as a reason to opress women.

Now, saying that this is simply the womens own fault, they just should try a little harder is a lot like saying the Africans have themselves to blame for slavery, by selling each other out... That might be a part of the problem, but western slave traders and opressive men are not exactly innocent bystanders, and in fact are a lot more culpable.

@Omar: Although this eastern way of arranged marriage may be the one originally intended, arranged marriage in what you call the 'western' fashion occurs in the east as well. In highschool I had a Moroccan friend whos parents had made sure she would marry her cousin back in Morocco so he could get a residence permit to come and live here. Her opinion was completely irrelevant. She got out of it by running away from home.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 08:58
^ I don't have time for a point to point rebuttal of all that. needless I think you pretty much blew over my point and let off a lot of steam in the process.

This is my point..

In Italy (like most countries where sensible laws exist), the rights of a woman are guaranteed. ie. if a woman's situation is so that she does want to get out the house, walk about in a skirt and blouse, it's impossible to prevent her from doing so..be it a Muslim refugee or any Italian national. That simply is the law there. Tell me, how a man is lawfully going to restrain a woman from going out in Italy?

Your point seems to be this..

In Italy, a Muslim man can beat his wife, the authorities won't notice because she's covered head to toe (I dont know Italian Muslims, but the Muslims I know hardly anyone covers), and she won't report it, because she's mentally imprisoned. Whilst education and not knowing her rights MIGHT be a problem, what you mentioned is certainly no problem. I'm pretty sure even Italy has social security for those that cannot work, or free housing or housing benefits of some sort for her to not have to live on the streets. In fact, a lot of the times a lot of the refugee husbands cannot get work, so the wife is hardly being supported in any substantive way, at least it would not make much difference to her income if she divorced him and chose to claim benefits for herself. I'll agree some women want to save a marriage, but if they're really so unhappy and mentally imprisoned, they do have an outlet, and the government will support them monetarily there. What remains is just that a woman might be illegally beaten and not report it..well hey, this happens right across the board and won't ever be eliminated.  

It's a bit of a messy post, but my point is this..the wife does have a choice in Italy (which is how it should be), the husband can be restrained. The only problem I can see is her not knowing her rights, but that can only exist in the most outlandish of cases where someone is coming from the most underdeveloped regions of the world without any basic telecommunications.

..and I am a chauvinist oinker Tongue 

Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
nomadII View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote nomadII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 11:02
Is there any reason why it is only the muslim refugees who settle in italy that are in this situation, because in UK the muslim women dont find it hard to learn english.
The veil is the best example of suppressing a woman's freedom to express herself. She is kept hidden under a veil, usually under the supervision of her husband....which shows perfectly how Islamic women are culturally put down. This goes to show that women do not have the right to express their own opinions, but are completely controlled by men

are you for real? I think that non muslim women are controlled by men, who mostly designs fashions?

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 11:04
Telde, your lack of grip on real life is astonishing.

^ I don't have time for a point to point rebuttal of all that. needless I think you pretty much blew over my point and let off a lot of steam in the process.
No, I think I got your point pretty accurately, it is crap.

This is my point..

In Italy (like most countries where sensible laws exist), the rights of a woman are guaranteed. ie. if a woman's situation is so that she does want to get out the house, walk about in a skirt and blouse, it's impossible to prevent her from doing so..be it a Muslim refugee or any Italian national. That simply is the law there. Tell me, how a man is lawfully going to restrain a woman from going out in Italy?

Your trust in the Italian (or any western) system is touching and wholly unfounded. Dream on.

Your point seems to be this..

At least I got one (a real one), all you have is desperate denial.

In Italy, a Muslim man can beat his wife, the authorities won't notice because she's covered head to toe (I dont know Italian Muslims, but the Muslims I know hardly anyone covers),
  Yes, that seems to be the point here. This only shows you have little to no idea what you are talking about.

and she won't report it, because she's mentally imprisoned. Whilst education and not knowing her rights MIGHT be a problem, what you mentioned is certainly no problem.
No? Strange. Most people do find being terrorised by their husbands of other family members a problem. Muslim or not.

I'm pretty sure even Italy has social security for those that cannot work, or free housing or housing benefits of some sort for her to not have to live on the streets.
Perhaps, but I would not count on Italian burocracy to get a house, money and protection while not speaking the language or knowing where the bribes have to go. Or having the money to pay these bribes.

In fact, a lot of the times a lot of the refugee husbands cannot get work, so the wife is hardly being supported in any substantive way, at least it would not make much difference to her income if she divorced him and chose to claim benefits for herself. I'll agree some women want to save a marriage, but if they're really so unhappy and mentally imprisoned, they do have an outlet, and the government will support them monetarily there. 
Another dream. 'Just walk away'. Sure. Still no idea what you are talking about.

The only problem I can see is her not knowing her rights, but that can only exist in the most outlandish of cases where someone is coming from the most underdeveloped regions of the world without any basic telecommunications.
You mean an area like most of Africa perhaps? Hm, lo and behold! Where do these people tend to come from? And perhaps, being raised in a culture that tells women should obey is not very helpful in learning of ones rights and options? Possibly?

..and I am a chauvinist oinker Tongue 

And proud of it too I'm sure. So sad.Ouch But then again, you probably do not know what you are talking about once again anyway, so let me help you:
Originally posted by dictionary.com

male chauvinist
noun
a male who patronizes, disparages, or otherwise denigrates females in the belief that they are inferior to males and thus deserving of less than equal treatment or benefit.
Yeah, something to be real proud of. Congrats.

From your answers I do understand you have not read the article, so let me give you a little quote to show you what you fail to see:
Originally posted by article

They may have hoped for a better life in a rich European country, but many Muslim women migrating to Italy suffer abuse by their husbands and live isolated from the rest of society, a Muslim feminist leader says.

"We are not integrated at all. Many of the women who came here 15 years ago have not moved one inch forward, they live in a ghetto, they don't speak Italian, they don't go to school and often they don't work," Souad Sbai told Reuters.

"Worse, they are often beaten up and abused by their partners: and I don't mean a slap in the face. I mean broken bones, knife wounds and burns with boiling-hot oil," she said.

Unlike in France or Britain, many Muslim immigrants in Italy come from rural regions of the Maghreb, where conservative views about women rights prevail: "Once in Italy, men adopt a do-it-yourself vision of Islam that completely marginalises women."

Edited by Aelfgifu - 10-May-2007 at 11:49

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 15:04
Originally posted by TeldeInduz

It's a bit of a messy post, but my point is this..the wife does have a choice in Italy (which is how it should be), the husband can be restrained. The only problem I can see is her not knowing her rights, but that can only exist in the most outlandish of cases where someone is coming from the most underdeveloped regions of the world without any basic telecommunications.
..and I am a chauvinist oinker

That's the whole point, TeldeInduz! These women have never had "rights" and some are still unaware that they have any at all. They've been forbidden from integrating into society, and all they've ever known is to do as they are told. Why? Because their respective husbands keep them in the dark to keep them subservient and at their beck and call in accordance with their old and outdated "traditions". It's the new generation of girls which need to be educated as to their basic human rights so the same "traditions" won't befall them as well.

If you are as intelligent and well informed as you profess to be, then surely you must know that abusing women or keeping them subservient and uneducated in today's day and age is just plain WRONG, both morally and ethically, and is certainly not something which a life-long devoted partner should have to be subjected to for the sake of "tradition".

"Morty

King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 20:58
I don't know how you are supposed to keep women (actually anyone) subservient anyway.

Amoungst the women of my family subservients is something that needs to be beaten into other people.

You guys give men too much credit.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>