Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scientists risk the end of the universe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scientists risk the end of the universe
    Posted: 04-May-2007 at 04:43
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

In search of answers, scientists are risking the destruction of ENTIRE universe. What the hell is wrong with people?!
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 05:23
The annihilation of the Universe.

Well, fingers crossed, they succeed.

Edited by Paul - 04-May-2007 at 05:47
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 05:30
This article or section contains information about an expected future scientific facility.
It is likely to contain information of a speculative nature and the content may change as the facility approaches completion

That facility has been there for decades. This is just an update. Do not worry, the universe will survive the destruction of earth, and is unlikely to miss us.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 04-May-2007 at 05:32

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 10:21
Originally posted by Adalwolf

In search of answers, scientists are risking the destruction of ENTIRE universe. What the hell is wrong with people?!

How can Man be so arrogant he believes himself able to destroy the universe?

Edited by Styrbiorn - 04-May-2007 at 10:22
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 10:25
Originally posted by Adalwolf

They want to do it "because they can."  The same as climbing Mount Everest or landing on the Moon.  What came of those "achievements?"

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 10:38
I can't wait til there done with this. It's the largest one to ever exist and when it's done it may be able to prove String Thoery, which I'm excited about. I never liked sciencer until I heard about that theory.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 11:41
There is gonna be some interesting stuff coming out of that facility either that or we are all doomed.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 12:48
I don't see how scientists can put the fate of the enitre world in jeopardy, all in never ending quest for answers. I really don't think this project should go forward. Perhaps these scientists' time would be better spent trying to solve some more earthly problems..?
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 12:51
They said the same about the Atom bomb, we're still here. Besides, we're all gonna die one day, why not see the end of the universe. Not many people can say they have!LOL
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 16:00
"...may destroy the Earth,or even the entire universe.."
oooh nooo!I'm shocked!We will all die!!
What BS.Does someone really believe this is for real?It's more suitable for a fantasy movie than a HISTORY forum.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 20:43
When its a choice between you destroying the universe, and your enemy destroying the universe. You'd better get believe it'll be us who do it first.

But seriously Adalwolf. The destruction of the universe talk is superstitious rumour, and even in the off chance it isn't. You really won't know any different anyway.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 21:33
Over the years I've heard similar warnings and claims.  At one time we paid more attention than now, because we were playing with things that we knew almost nothing about.  My own father was involved in some of these "experiments", and has told me of a couple of times when no one had a clue as to what the final outcome might be.  That isn't the case anymore.  There is much more known and understood now than 50 years ago.  End of the Universe?  I'll settle for the end of the Bush Administration, thank you.  
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 02:36
Perhaps the strongest argument for the safety of colliders such as the LHC comes from the simple fact that cosmic rays of much higher energies than the LHC can produce have been bombarding the Earth, Moon and other objects in the solar system for billions (short scale) of years with no such effects.

We should be safe enough(crosses fingersSmile).
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 02:41
How is the universe suppost to end? Everything just ceasing to exist from one moment to another? That doesn't sound to bad. We're all going to die anyway, and an end-of-the-universe death sounds a lot less painful than dying of a horrible desease, being run over by a van, or being crushed in an earthquake because your bed was too low above the ground to hide under.
 Post Reply Post Reply