Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Satan: Is he all bad?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: So is Satan really the bad one?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [45.45%]
18 [54.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Satan: Is he all bad?
    Posted: 05-May-2007 at 10:42
JanusRook thanks for the info....

Ulrich....well that's humans for ya
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 11:25
I never understood how christians thing taht the Devil hates God and wants to take his throne

He jsut realy realy Hates us
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 12:47
Christians don't think Satan hates God and whants his throne.This sound to me like a greek tragedy.God doesn't have a throne or a palace or something.God is considered to be the creator of everything and he can't be defeated or his power taken like the greek,egyptian and other god's do.Satan is infact an Angel that has turned away from the light of God.He doesn't hate him he just opposes him and what he says.Satan hates us because we are God's favourite and that's why tries to corrupt us so that he can torture us later in Hell.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 00:56

No problem, currently I'm actually researching the Fall of the Angels so this is actually quite relevant to me right now.

Christians don't think Satan hates God and whants his throne.

Some do.

Satan hates us because we are God's favourite and that's why tries to corrupt us so that he can torture us later in Hell.

I'd disagree with you here.

Satan isn't as petty as to hate us because of a mere spoiled child jealousy complex. At the creation of the universe God commanded all of the angelic host to only have one master, himself. Then God created mankind, and upon his creation he ordered all of the angels to serve and bow to mankind. Satan refused because he was loyal to the first oath he made to God, and his role on earth is to prove that humanity does not deserve the angels. In essence what Satan wants to do is to have the angels be elevated in status higher than man, this is the pride in his fall.

Satan does not wish to torture mankind, he could care less about us. Many of eurasia's old pagan gods of death tortured mankind, and this is where mythologies get confused.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 02:22
Originally posted by JanusRook

Satan isn't as petty as to hate us because of a mere spoiled child jealousy complex. At the creation of the universe God commanded all of the angelic host to only have one master, himself. Then God created mankind, and upon his creation he ordered all of the angels to serve and bow to mankind. Satan refused because he was loyal to the first oath he made to God, and his role on earth is to prove that humanity does not deserve the angels. In essence what Satan wants to do is to have the angels be elevated in status higher than man, this is the pride in his fall.

So satan's story is a greek tragedy.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 04:05
Originally posted by JanusRook

No problem, currently I'm actually researching the Fall of the Angels so this is actually quite relevant to me right now.

Christians don't think Satan hates God and whants his throne.
Some do.
Satan hates us because we are God's favourite and that's why tries to corrupt us so that he can torture us later in Hell.
I'd disagree with you here.Satan isn't as petty as to hate us because of a mere spoiled child jealousy complex. At the creation of the universe God commanded all of the angelic host to only have one master, himself. Then God created mankind, and upon his creation he ordered all of the angels to serve and bow to mankind. Satan refused because he was loyal to the first oath he made to God, and his role on earth is to prove that humanity does not deserve the angels. In essence what Satan wants to do is to have the angels be elevated in status higher than man, this is the pride in his fall.Satan does not wish to torture mankind, he could care less about us. Many of eurasia's old pagan gods of death tortured mankind, and this is where mythologies get confused.

From what you said one can really think Satan isn't all bad.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 09:08
Janus, how do you figure in the other Satan-like characters - Beelzebub, Lucifer....different beings or different names for the same ones?
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 09:34
Originally posted by Jagiello

Christians don't think Satan hates God and whants his throne.This sound to me like a greek tragedy.God doesn't have a throne or a palace or something.God is considered to be the creator of everything and he can't be defeated or his power taken like the greek,egyptian and other god's do.Satan is infact an Angel that has turned away from the light of God.He doesn't hate him he just opposes him and what he says.Satan hates us because we are God's favourite and that's why tries to corrupt us so that he can torture us later in Hell.

whats all that hell on earth stuff and the anti-christ

war in heaven etc....
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 10:25
Maybe Satan just needs a hug?

Do humans become angels when they die, because I always heard that when I was little.
And how come god shows favoritism with his creations? It's almost as though he made angel 2.0 as humans, but created us falliable still. All this is very confusing and just seems to make a nice story to me.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 10:46
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I have wondered about that. If god is supposedly all powerful, surely he would not have allowed a Satan full of evil to exist. Unless of course, Satan is in gods employment, existing with gods approval, and working his will. Sort of the one to call for the dirty jobs.

And on the other hand, if Satan is the true enemy of god, than surely god cannot be all-powerful, and therefore seems no more worthy of worship than, for example, Satan, or any other mysterical entity of ones choosing.

So the existance of a Satan withing Christianity either means god does not have only good intentions, or it means god is a fraud.

In the Islamic view Satan is not as evil, nor as powerful, rather a nuissance that can distract you from doing good if you listen to him, however, he is not viewed in the same dualist view, he has no powers, he has no might, he is just a fallen Angel.

Sufis usually see Satan as the ultimate monotheist that is the ultimate believer in one true God who only bows down to him and only him, therefore, when he refused to bow down to Adam, he fell, however, they view it not as due to jelousy, but because as the ultimate servant of God, the ultimate believer in God he refused to bow down to anyone but God. In their view he risked everything to worship God.

Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 12:03
Originally posted by xi_tujue

whats all that hell on earth stuff and the anti-christwar in heaven etc....

It's called the Bible.Read the first two books called "The old testament" and "The new testament".We await the new book called "The return of Christ" but it's not sure when it will be written.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 12:28
Well, god told Bush to invade Iraq and kill a million people directly and indirectly so he must be bad.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 13:21

Originally posted by xi_tujue

whats all that hell on earth stuff and the anti-christwar in heaven etc....

It's called the Bible.Read the first two books called "The old testament" and "The new testament".We await the new book called "The return of Christ" but it's not sure when it will be written.

Actually I'm waiting for the prequel that explains how God was created, and the rest of the universe apart from heaven and earth.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 00:43

Janus, how do you figure in the other Satan-like characters - Beelzebub, Lucifer....different beings or different names for the same ones?

Personally, I believe that the fallen angels aren't a unified force so those mentioned are separate beings. I believe that different factions fell from God's grace due to separate acts.

The first faction and largest I would believe would be those that followed Satan's lead. Before the fall Satan was the highest angel, he would have been seen as the leader of the angels if they had a leader besides God. I also hold to the belief that he was the first angel created by God. These angels fell because they find humans ugly creatures, who kill, steal, rape and commit other atrocities and thus have no place being in God's heavenly light (to give an analogy, think Fundamentalist Baptists ministers are to Homosexuals what Satan's angels are to humans).

The second faction I believe are those angels that believe humans are greater than they are because God has decreed this, and thus keeping in that mentality they believed that if humans could only intercede on Satan's behalf, that God would forgive him and the angels would once again have their greatest amongst them again. The reason for their falling is because they go against God's plans in order to bring humanity to God before they are ready. The reasoning behind this is the story of the Forbidden Fruit, the Serpent wanted Adam and Eve to be "like God" so that they could speak to him on a level that the angels could never do. Needless to say this backfired because we weren't ready to eat of the forbidden fruit.

The third faction I have thought of are the Grigori or the Watchers, they were sent on earth to watch over humanity, but soon grew to find us beautiful. These angels went against God's plan by laying with women and creating the Nephilim. Thus their children were killed by God and they were cast out of heaven.

These are the only factions I've come up with so far although my knowledge on the Bible is only rudimentary and my angelology is very basic. And who said that Christian mythology was lacking compared to pagan mythology?

Do humans become angels when they die, because I always heard that when I was little.

No, well some heterodox churches allow worshipers to believe this (I am unaware if it is cannon in any church). Whereas more orthodox churches believe that human souls are a separate thing than angelic beings.

I believe the mistake in that belief is the confusion between guardian angels and the belief that the dead can intercede in heaven on our behalf.

And how come god shows favoritism with his creations? It's almost as though he made angel 2.0 as humans, but created us falliable still.

You have to put it in perspective, God does not obey the laws of time and space, thus their is no "improved" model. God created everything at the exact same time in it's most perfect state. It's our perception of his reality that is skewed.

That being said....the angels were created to serve humanity, period. Human beings were intended to be made in God's most perfect image. The difference between us is that since we exist in time we can be redeemed, whereas angels are timeless and thus their thoughts exist in an almost infinity loop.

In the Islamic view Satan is not as evil, nor as powerful, rather a nuissance that can distract you from doing good if you listen to him, however, he is not viewed in the same dualist view, he has no powers, he has no might, he is just a fallen Angel.

I had heard that this view came from pre-Islamic times, and that he is a Djinn spirit, as are all angels, is this incorrect? Also is Iblis a pre-Islamic or post-Islamic name for the devil?

Sufis usually see Satan as the ultimate monotheist that is the ultimate believer in one true God who only bows down to him and only him, therefore, when he refused to bow down to Adam, he fell, however, they view it not as due to jelousy, but because as the ultimate servant of God, the ultimate believer in God he refused to bow down to anyone but God. In their view he risked everything to worship God.

This is basically my view, however I believe the error is in refusing God's command to bow before humanity.

The return of Christ" but it's not sure when it will be written.

It was first published in 1830 LOL:

Actually I'm waiting for the prequel that explains how God was created, and the rest of the universe apart from heaven and earth.

It was written in 1968 LOL:

Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 16:03
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I have wondered about that. If god is supposedly all powerful, surely he would not have allowed a Satan full of evil to exist. Unless of course, Satan is in gods employment, existing with gods approval, and working his will. Sort of the one to call for the dirty jobs.

And on the other hand, if Satan is the true enemy of god, than surely god cannot be all-powerful, and therefore seems no more worthy of worship than, for example, Satan, or any other mysterical entity of ones choosing.

So the existance of a Satan withing Christianity either means god does not have only good intentions, or it means god is a fraud.

Wow here's a scary thought, Satan devoted himself(assume that satan is a guy) to god's work by putting himself into the position which contrasts the almighty god.  Then satan and jesus are really similar in a sense.
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 22:22
One on-going aspect that most people I meet are confused with in relation to the whole "good vs. evil" or "God vs satan" thing is that they find it odd that if God is so powerful how is it he can even have an opponent? How can satan even challenge the great God?
A lil clarification, its not about power and might, its never been about power and might.
Having a Lamb born into the world to be slain and slaughtered doesnt sound too much like flexing ones muscle does it? But thats how "Good triumphs over evil", not to sound too cliche.
Christ died on a cross, that pretty much defeated satan right then and there. We must only find it within ourselves to grasp that victory.
So God conquers with Love, not power.
Of course all this is from a Christian standpoint.
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 05:03
Janus, don't know if you would be interested, but there is an old dutch play called Lucifer. It was written by Joost van den Vondel, one of Hollands greatest writers ever, and it is supposed to have been used as inspiration by Milton for his paradise lost. The nice thing about it is that Lucifer, in this play, is indeed the way you describe him: not evil, but extremely devoted to god. It is humankind he is opposed too, against gods will. He is a tragic figure, bound to be doomed. (or she, I have seen an open air performance where Lucifer was played by a woman, which worked surprisingly well) I cried at the end, when Lucifer was cast down...very dramatic.

I have discovered there is even an english translation of the piece available, which is surprising, as there is no Dutch version in print anymore... I can very much recommend it, it is one of my favorite plays.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 06:00
For me its like prometheus.

Zeus says humanity must end
(satan)Prometheus loves them too much and saves them getting punished
Then after millenia hercules releases him.        

In the christian tradition  the rebel is evil and bad.In the pagan the rebel had a chance.
http://www.hoplites.net/
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 12:55
I have discovered there is even an english translation of the piece available, which is surprising, as there is no Dutch version in print anymore... I can very much recommend it, it is one of my favorite plays.

Thank you for this Aelfgifu, this will be very nice (hopefully not as boring as Paradise Lost) and should give me some nice ideas.

In the christian tradition  the rebel is evil and bad.In the pagan the rebel had a chance.

That's because the christian rebel wants to destroy humanity and in the pagan one he wants to save humanity.

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 12:45
I think the Bible is really a propaganda book written by God. You see, Satan was really the good guy, but God had to screw everything up, embrace acts of genocide, so Satan left him. I mean, of course the evil guy is going to predict his own victory. I mean, for crying out loud, a united world would only sound like a bad idea to a propagandist.LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>