Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hidden Armenians in Turkey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hidden Armenians in Turkey
    Posted: 03-May-2007 at 17:29
     There are people in Turkey who do not know of their Armenian roots from as recently as 2 generations ago. There are also those who are well aware, but are forced to keep this identity hidden from the general population because of persecution and oppression. Please watch this video and share your thoughts/knowledge...

http://www.hairenik.com/HairenikTV/HA_TV_Clip60.htm

My father's aunt in Istanbul used to travel to Anatolia and adopt these "hidden" Armenians and raise them as Armenians. She taught them the language, traditions, etc. I believe there should be 'missionaries' like my father's aunt who can teach the Armenian language and traditions to people who want to get in touch with their roots, but I doubt this type of work would sit well with the general population and the atmosphere in Turkey. I have also spoken to Armenians who have recently traveled to eastern Turkey, and said they came into contact with many people who claimed to be Armenian, but said they presented themselves as Turkish or Kurdish Muslims to everyone else.

Note: This is not a discussion on the blacklisted Armenian Genocide, I know it is mentioned in the program, but just stray away from that discussion. This is about the modern-day dilemma of the people who willingly want to return to their roots, but for several factors, are unable to.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 18:01
Why are they hidden? there are around 100,000 or something Armenians in Turkiye. Also some say Hemshins are muslim Armenian? but they are offended if somebody calls them Armenian, maybe its a religous divide.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 18:16
     Officially there are around 70,000 Armenians in Turkey, although there might be 100,000 because of the undocumented workers who go to Turkey from Armenia.

Hamshenis are Muslim Armenians, I know people who have visited their villages, and their language (the eastern branch of it at least) is a dialect of Armenian. The Hamshens of Turkey and Caucasia (I think there are around 50-100,000 Hamshens in Russian Caucasia, and a few in Kazakhstan), have had meetings and recent relations with the Armenian diaspora. Probably discussing about how to better incorporate them into the worldwide Armenian community. In 2005 or 2006, they started printing Korans in the Armenian language in Yerevan.

Originally posted by Bulldog

Why are they hidden?

Watch the video.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 18:48
I can't watch the videoDisapprove. I have some friends whose grandmothers or grandfathers were of Armenian origin. 
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 18:48
Here is the original source:

http://www.france24.com/france24Public/en/special-reports/FRANCE-24-Reports/Reporters-FRANCE-24.html
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 13:37
I also heard that there are to many Turks and Kurds who actually has Armenian roots.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 13:42
Accualy The Kurds living in north eastern Anatolia are mostly of armenian origin who adopted Islam. It's common fact omongst the locals

I'm not suprised
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 15:44
I remember a research done about this subject and there was a researcher who claimed there where more then 500 000 "hidden" armenians in Turkey, he made a intervieuw with an old (hidden) Armenian woman and she told they "converted" to Islam just because of the pression of being called "gavur", etc cant remember not much about it.

The officially known "hidden" armenians are the Hemsheni's (hamshen?).

Armeniansurvival, does your aunt also teach some nationalistic propaganda? Language and culture is fine but going further is dangerous and you'll know it...
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 15:52
what would be an example of nationalistic propaganda?
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 16:09
Originally posted by mamikon

what would be an example of nationalistic propaganda?
begins with ararat mountan and ends with greater armenia...
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 16:27
They exist also stories about hidden Christians (Probably Greeks) that they preferred  to stay in Turkey and they wasn't exchanged .Same stories exist about hidden Muslims (Probably Turks)(not those in W.T) that preferred to stay in Greece but no official researches , just stories.  

By antioxos at 2007-08-20
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 16:36
Antioxos is correct, this stuff mostly stems from nationalist propoganda, hidden muslims, jews, christians...classic tales. I even was told by this spanish guy once that there are secret muslims jews who speak secret arabic and are the reason for some problems in the country. The pseodu-Jew stories are probobly the most famous world-wide.

There probobly are some more private communities but most are generally exaggerated.

Edited by Bulldog - 04-May-2007 at 16:38
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 16:59
Originally posted by DayI

Armeniansurvival, does your aunt also teach some nationalistic propaganda? Language and culture is fine but going further is dangerous and you'll know it...

Actually it wasn't her that raised the kids, I misphrased it... she would get children from families like that (at the parents' permission of course), and she would give the children to Armenian families so they raise them in their houses in Istanbul and send them to Armenian schools. I don't know what you would consider nationalist propaganda, Turks and Armenians have different views on this and to varying degrees.... some Turks consider sober Armenian history as 'nationalist propaganda', so I don't know where you draw the line yourself. They don't make them into enemies of Turkey, if thats what you mean, most of them either go back home when they are adults or they settle down in Istanbul.

The main goal of these Armenian foster families is to teach the kids their real identity, and how to keep in touch with it, so it does not get lost. I think we need more people doing this work in Turkey, because most of these people who want to openly be Armenian don't know the language, traditions, and whoever is Christian cannot practice their religion. You saw the video, they are so oppressed that many times they don't dare tell their children they are really Armenian or Christian. It has to be pretty bad for it to reach that stage.

What frightened me most was that the attitude towards Armenians in east Anatolia is not much different than the accounts I've read from WWI. They tried to force that family off their land just for having an Armenian ancestor, imagine if they spoke Armenian and openly practiced Christianity. East Anatolia is the place where the Armenian people originated from and lived for millenia, built various states and civilizations there, and they cannot even claim to be Armenian there anymore, much less practice the culture. In fact, they pretended to be Muslim Turks and Kurds, and they were still oppressed.

But one really high note was that the Turkish court gave that family their land that was confiscated in 1915. Thats a good precedent.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 17:00
Hemsins were armenians, They are not armenians still..

I can say same for hidden armenians(?). They can immigrate to west(bigger cities) and noone will ever care their armenianship..But they prefer to stay "hidden"..

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 17:10
Originally posted by DayI

begins with ararat mountan and ends with greater armenia

Well, Ararat has been part of our culture since the beginning (at least 6th century B.C.), and Greater Armenia is the name of the various states which occupied the Armenian highland. Thats just sober history.

Originally posted by Mortaza

Hemsins were armenians, They are not armenians still..

I can say same for hidden armenians(?). They can immigrate to west(bigger cities) and noone will ever care their armenianship..But they prefer to stay "hidden"..

Hamshenis have been Muslims for generations, some of them even before WWI. Who says they aren't Armenians... thats what they call themselves. The fact that everyone knows Hamshenis as Muslim Armenians should already tell you something.

And what do you mean 'they prefer to stay hidden'? They are hidden because no one will accept them... People don't willingly isolate themselves from their country.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival - 04-May-2007 at 17:17

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 17:19
And they dont call themself as Armenians. Majority of them call themself as hemsin and Turk. Not armenians.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 17:32
     The Hamsheni language is an archaic form of Armenian. They do not call themselves Turks. Hamshens, even those who live in Russia, Georgia and Abkhazia and who are Apostolic Christians, still call themselves Hamsheni Armenians. Hamsheni is an ethnic identity, a subgroup of Armenians.

Plus, Hamsheni representatives have had meetings with the Armenian diaspora from many countries. If they considered themselves Turks they wouldn't be holding meetings with our diaspora....

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 17:43
My friend, I am talking from first hand contact..

Besure not even 1% people at Turkey aware that, there are 100.000 Muslim armenian in Turkey..(do These muslim armenians aware that they are armenians?)

dont you think, If these muslim armenians  call themself as armenian, All Turkey will know them.

By the way,
I have no idea about georgian or russian hemsins. I am talking about Turkey hemsins.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 17:46

dont you think, If these muslim armenians  call themself as armenian, All Turkey will know them

Thats exactly why they WOULDN'T call themselves Armenians, but rather, Hamshenis. They see how Armenians get treated.

I have no idea about georgian or russian hemsins. I am talking about Turkey hemsins.

Representatives of Turkey's Hamshenis were also present in the diaspora meetings.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 17:56
Thats exactly why they WOULDN'T call themselves Armenians, but rather, Hamshenis. They see how Armenians get treated.

I am sure my hemsin friends dont hide it. Ermm Infact, the ones I met actively resist their armenianship..

Representatives of Turkey's Hamshenis were also present in the diaspora meetings

sorry, who are these representatives? Of course you can find some minority who call themself as armenians. Will you say these are representatives of Turkey hemsins???

Also, They call themself as hemşinli(not hemşin.) because They are from hemşin.(It is name of a town also.) I call myself as Trabzonlu because I am from trabzon..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>