Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Indo-Australian connection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indo-Australian connection
    Posted: 02-May-2007 at 16:26
I have previously come across online materials alluding to a genetic connection between Indians and Australian aboriginals, a connection which did not seem very alien considering that some Indian faces do resemble that of Aboriginals in structure.  Anyway, what brings me to start this thread is that I saw the movie "The Proposition" last night, which incidentally was a very good film.  It is set in Australia in the latter half of the 19th century, it would seem; a time when the whites were pretty much disposing of the native population en masse in a typical Anglo-colonial style.  The movie had a number of insignificant aboriginal characters and, for the first time, I heard what I assume is the Aboriginals' language.  It rolled off the actor's tongue using strikingly similar accents to those I have heard on Hindi speakers.

Indian languages, although very diverse seem to be spoken with a similar accent, in my opinion;  the rolling of the tongue on certain consenants such as D, which I thought was unique to Indians, for example.  Well I noted this phenomenon in the Aborginal that I heard also.

I have never heard a Dravidian language spoken and I wonder how much closer it may sound to Aboriginal. 

Does anyone have any comments on this?  And have there been comparitive studies of Aboriginal and Dravidian languages been conducted?

Edited by Zagros - 02-May-2007 at 16:28
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 16:06
I've read that aboriginal languages are some of the most diverse in the world because of the extent of time for which they've been cut off from foreign influences and from one another.  It's an interesting theory and there are opponents of the AIT who claim that vedic-Sanskrit had a Dravidian phonology but personally I think Northern and Southern accents are totally different today.  In fact, the way people say certain English words (if they're educated in India) is one of the easiest ways of telling whether they're from the North or South of India. 
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 16:31
I see, thanks for the info.  I just find the similarity in "accents" remarkable.  I do notice a difference in Indian accents, but I always notice that there is an underlying phonology, so to speak. 

As regards the AIT, it kind of makes sense that the IE languages were taken up by a mostly native Dravidian speaking population if this accent similarity I speak of is not coincidental. 
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 20:39
Yeah, I do think native speakers could be unaware of certain accent similarities that would be apparent from a foreign perspective.  
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 01:53
Is the Dravidian language family native to the Indian sub-continent? Or did it come from some where else to the Indian sub-continent, just like the Indo-Aryan language family did later?
Perhaps If there is any connection between Aboriginal and Indian languages/peoples, it is with the languages that the indigenous people in the Indian sub-continent spoke before they adopted Dravidian and Aryan languages. Maybe this is why there is no study done regarding this connection, because there are no surviving pre-Dravidian or pre-Aryan Indian languages to be studied. Perhaps people in the Indian sub-continent adopted foreign languages but kept the accents from their very first languages.

Edited by omshanti - 10-May-2007 at 04:48
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2007 at 12:04
There is a distant South India - Australian Abirigonal ethnic connection so there may well be a distant  Australian - Indian language connection.  

Most Australian Abirigiones are Australoids.  This racial group is very rare today and pre colonial Australia was the only area where this group formed a magority.  Remnant Australoid populations also exist in South India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan.  In addition, a very, very small number of Somalians and Yemenites are Australoidas well.

The theory is that the Australoids migrated from Africa to Australia in very ancient times.   They were later overtaken by Caucasoids, Mongloids and Negoids which form the "big three" racial groups of modern humans.  
Re

Edited by Cryptic - 05-Jun-2007 at 12:06
 Post Reply Post Reply