Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rasicms Orgin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
John Kjeken View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote John Kjeken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rasicms Orgin?
    Posted: 18-May-2007 at 09:43
Originally posted by Maharbbal

[By colonial I meant the seconf wave of colonisation…Colonial racism is age-old, reaching extremes in all sorts of places, like the Teutons in Prussia or the Japanese in Korea. It basically arises from 'We beat you hollow so we're better than you'.
The 'right of the spear' is indeed age old. The novelty with 19th century colonialism is that the argument was reversed "we are better than you (ie civilised) hence we conquer you" (see the argument of the left-wingers in France around 1880: lets colonise them to save them from barbary).

I wouldn't label Alexander the Great as racist. There is nothing modern about "civilizing by swordpoint"

Racism in the modern sense couldn't exist without nationalism, in my opinion.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 10:30

Over all you may be right nazism is maybe not the most famous form of racism world-wide but in which case it is arguable that there is just no globally recognized most famous form of racism.

Agreed. The only thing you can say about 'most people' in this regard is that they are primarily concerned with the racism that hurt or is hurting them. Or their ancestors. Or, on the other hand, it is the racism that they themselves feel guilty about.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 21:39
The European powers didn't build their empires because they were racist, but because they were greedy. If someone steals from a Jew, it doesn't mean he is anti-semite, just that he is a thief.
It is of course possible for someone to try and justify his greed by providing a 'racist' argument, but that doesn't make him racist, any  more than fomenting a jihad or a crusade means you're particularly religious.
Egg and chicken

I've no idea where you get that from. It certainly wasn't true of 99% of the people I knew. Unless you have a very odd (and elastic) definition of racism.
Well logically as most West European countries had colonial empire and most of colonial power cover their greed with a racist ideology most of European ought to have been racist. Nothing hard core necessarily but racist nonetheless. Just see nowadays over 30% of European openly admit they are racists...

Then it wasn't a very good choice of word.
Granted

I suppose the Japanese colonisation in the far east wasn't 'colonial' either? What was it? Third wave?
Precisely not. Japanese expension was closely related to that second wave of colonisation. The third wave is neo-colonialism.

What you seem to be doing is to restrict your definition of 'racism' in some way to theories similar to Nazism, and then saying Nazism is the prime example.
I don't Lenine and Rosa Luxembourg clearly hinted this way. So did Hannah Arendt when she called colonisation a totalitarism.

(While of course also expanding the definition enough so that it includes 99% of Europeans in the 1930/40s. Put those two together and you're saying, in effect, that Nazism best represents the views of 99% of Europeans when I was a child. Which just isn't true.)
Of course I'm not saying that. Take the thesis of Zeev Sternel about the Frendh origin of Facism and Nazism (you may not agree with him but it shows that the general idea was well spread).

That's not particularly 19th century. It's the same view the Crusaders had, at least to begin with. And the same the Spanish had. 
Maybe but here we have the Parlementary Papers

There are some similarities. But for instance the Nazis, at least in the longer term, advocated replacing the population of conquered territories with 'Aryans' (like the extremist Israelis making their settlements in Palestine), while the colonial racists, mostly, were concerned to exploit the native populations, while leaving them in place.
I didn't say they were the same, I said they had distressing similarities.

Over all you may be right nazism is maybe not the most famous form of racism world-wide but in which case it is arguable that there is just no globally recognized most famous form of racism.
I am a free donkey!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 08:19

That's undeniable. So was the Japanese doctrine of Japanese superiority.
I don't know enough about Japanese racism, I think it was an awful mix of traditional suprematism and new scientitism

What 'branch of racism' would that be? Can't be Nazism, which is much younger. Can'r be 'social Darwinism', same reason. Can't be considering blacks as inferior to whites (in West Africa) or to Arabs (in East Africa) because that's older. Can't be considering Jews as inferior, because that goes way back.
You are considering the "target" of racism which may be interesting but not in this case. What I think is important is to discuss the racist side itself.
I'm not saying that scientific racism arrives out of the blue, the target and even the actions it induces are often very similar.
But I'm convince that there has been a very important qualitative transformation during the 18th century. Before the feeling of racism was a mix of nationalism and religious hatred. Truely enough these elements do not disappear and will have an active role both in the colonial and fascist experience.
In my opinion, the great philosopher Montesquieu is a very good example. He was strongly opposed to slavery and famously attacked those saying that a soul could not be found in a black body. But on the other hand he had problems  to explain the barbarism of Africa (his views not mine) and he tried a scientific method. He put a tong of sheep in a cold and in a warm environment. In the cold environment the tong became rigid while in the warm one it became spongy.
He concluded that the cold environment was better for the brain and thus that people living in environment cold (but not too cold either) had better cognitive capacities. Hence white people were by nature superior but black people
Pretty well every century has produced its rationales for justifying racism. I'm not disputing that the 18th century produced theories that could be and were so used. I'm only disputing that, as a century, it was especially important.
The way it works though is that racists use whatever arguments are current (religious, scientific, whatever) to 'justify' their feelings.
That scientific studies of racial difference (which can be very useful and important in, say, medicine) can be used to justify racist attitudes shouldn't be used to disqualify such research.

You shouldn't confuse the scientific classification of races (or attempts at it) by, e.g. Linnaeus, with 'racism'.
I'm not, I am just saying that by destroyiing the arguments of the previous racist theories the scientific revolution gave some new ideas to pseudo-scientists to build up a new form of racism.
I'd agree with that, on the basis that all new approaches to studying the universe have given ideas for founding new forms of racism. 'Science' especially if you restrict the word to the 17th century on (which I wouldn't do) is not more blameworthy in that way than any branch of philosophy (religion or whatever).

Fascism is/was not racist. Nor, for that matter, were Fascists Nazis.
I'm sorry but it is not because Mussolini supported the creation of Israel and only initiated the racial laws in 1938 that fascism was not racist: remember Ethiopia!
The European powers didn't build their empires because they were racist, but because they were greedy. If someone steals from a Jew, it doesn't mean he is anti-semite, just that he is a thief.
It is of course possible for someone to try and justify his greed by providing a 'racist' argument, but that doesn't make him racist, any  more than fomenting a jihad or a crusade means you're particularly religious.

If anything fascists were racists because 99% of European were racist at that time.
I've no idea where you get that from. It certainly wasn't true of 99% of the people I knew. Unless you have a very odd (and elastic) definition of racism.

The similarities between fascism and nazism is another debate, let just say I do not agree with you.

'Colonial racism', as, for instance, displayed at times by the Spanish in America had nothing at all to do with the scientific revolution.
By colonial I meant the seconf wave of colonisation
Then it wasn't a very good choice of word. I suppose the Japanese colonisation in the far east wasn't 'colonial' either? What was it? Third wave?
What you seem to be doing is to restrict your definition of 'racism' in some way to theories similar to Nazism, and then saying Nazism is the prime example. (While of course also expanding the definition enough so that it includes 99% of Europeans in the 1930/40s. Put those two together and you're saying, in effect, that Nazism best represents the views of 99% of Europeans when I was a child. Which just isn't true.)

Colonial racism is age-old, reaching extremes in all sorts of places, like the Teutons in Prussia or the Japanese in Korea. It basically arises from 'We beat you hollow so we're better than you'.
The 'right of the spear' is indeed age old. The novelty with 19th century colonialism is that the argument was reversed "we are better than you (ie civilised) hence we conquer you" (see the argument of the left-wingers in France around 1880: lets colonise them to save them from barbary).
That's not particularly 19th century. It's the same view the Crusaders had, at least to begin with. And the same the Spanish had. 

On the other hand I would certainly agree that colonial racism was much more prevalent and important than Nazism. In fact that's where I got many of my quoted examples from.
In my opinion they are very similar They are the two bastards of the same mother.
There are some similarities. But for instance the Nazis, at least in the longer term, advocated replacing the population of conquered territories with 'Aryans' (like the extremist Israelis making their settlements in Palestine), while the colonial racists, mostly, were concerned to exploit the native populations, while leaving them in place.
That's true even though in some places the European colonists did displace the native inhabitants (as even the ancient Greeks and the Turks did for that matter).
It depends really whether you're looking primarily for land or for money (and marketable produce).
In either case it is of course quite possible to lust for land or money or power without having a racist bone in your body.

In which case you can hardly expect the inhabitants of Johannesburg or Birmingham, Alabama, or Nanking, or the Burmese hinterland to associate racism primarily with Nazism.
If you consider nazism and colonial racism as two side of the same coin you'll realize that for a great deal of the world population it is indeed the most recent experience of racism.
Well, I don't consider them two sides of the same coin. I don't even consider colonial racism a single ideology. However I never disputed that Nazism is the most recent example of racism affecting many countries, just that it was not the most dominant or common. For most of Western Europe for instance the most recent instances of racism are not Nazi, not indeed colonial, but anti-immigrant. In the Far East they are the Japanese invasions (or the more recent complicated situations in the Philippines and Thailand). In the Middle East the memory of Nazism (never very strong outside Israel) has pretty well completely folded: 'racism' means Israeli or possibly US aggression.
Talk about racism even here in Luxembourg (which was occupied by the Nazis) and what springs to mind is not Nazism but things like the French riots last year (which were arguably not racist, but are in the popular mind).
So I doubt very much if Nazism is the most famous version of racism, which is what I started out challenging.

But as I said it is certainly not the last, as the unfortunate formula of "islamo-fascism" shows we are in a period of transiton from a focal point which was the period 1917-1945 to a new one that we could sum up by 11/9.

(Most people have no idea what Nazism consisted of anyway.)
That does not matter. What is important is the perception the people have. Were the leftist in the 1970s right when they were comparing the social democrats with the nazi? No, but it just shows that they were using this period as their main source of reference/representations. Nowadays calling somebody a fascist just proves you are outdated. It was very clear for instance in the recent French presidential campaign. Sarkozy ten years ago would have be called on a constant basis a fascist (he's been called a fascist but fairly rarely) on the other his supposed "religious fundamentalism" was constantly refered to. (I've even wrote something about it here in French).

Edited by gcle2003 - 07-May-2007 at 08:24
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 17:49
I don't know enough about Japanese racism, I think it was an awful mix of traditional suprematism and new scientitism

What 'branch of racism' would that be? Can't be Nazism, which is much younger. Can'r be 'social Darwinism', same reason. Can't be considering blacks as inferior to whites (in West Africa) or to Arabs (in East Africa) because that's older. Can't be considering Jews as inferior, because that goes way back.
You are considering the "target" of racism which may be interesting but not in this case. What I think is important is to discuss the racist side itself.
I'm not saying that scientific racism arrives out of the blue, the target and even the actions it induces are often very similar.
But I'm convince that there has been a very important qualitative transformation during the 18th century. Before the feeling of racism was a mix of nationalism and religious hatred. Truely enough these elements do not disappear and will have an active role both in the colonial and fascist experience.
In my opinion, the great philosopher Montesquieu is a very good example. He was strongly opposed to slavery and famously attacked those saying that a soul could not be found in a black body. But on the other hand he had problems  to explain the barbarism of Africa (his views not mine) and he tried a scientific method. He put a tong of sheep in a cold and in a warm environment. In the cold environment the tong became rigid while in the warm one it became spongy.
He concluded that the cold environment was better for the brain and thus that people living in environment cold (but not too cold either) had better cognitive capacities. Hence white people were by nature superior but black people

You shouldn't confuse the scientific classification of races (or attempts at it) by, e.g. Linnaeus, with 'racism'.
I'm not, I am just saying that by destroyiing the arguments of the previous racist theories the scientific revolution gave some new ideas to pseudo-scientists to build up a new form of racism.

I'm sorry but it is not because Mussolini supported the creation of Israel and only initiated the racial laws in 1938 that fascism was not racist: remember Ethiopia! If anything fascists were racists because 99% of European were racist at that time.
The similarities between fascism and nazism is another debate, let just say I do not agree with you.

'Colonial racism', as, for instance, displayed at times by the Spanish in America had nothing at all to do with the scientific revolution.
By colonial I meant the seconf wave of colonisation

Colonial racism is age-old, reaching extremes in all sorts of places, like the Teutons in Prussia or the Japanese in Korea. It basically arises from 'We beat you hollow so we're better than you'.

On the other hand I would certainly agree that colonial racism was much more prevalent and important than Nazism. In fact that's where I got many of my quoted examples from.
In my opinion they are very similar They are the two bastards of the same mother.

In which case you can hardly expect the inhabitants of Johannesburg or Birmingham, Alabama, or Nanking, or the Burmese hinterland to associate racism primarily with Nazism.
If you consider nazism and colonial racism as two side of the same coin you'll realize that for a great deal of the world population it is indeed the most recent experience of racism. But as I said it is certainly not the last, as the unfortunate formula of "islamo-fascism" shows we are in a period of transiton from a focal point which was the period 1917-1945 to a new one that we could sum up by 11/9.

That does not matter. What is important is the perception the people have. Were the leftist in the 1970s right when they were comparing the social democrats with the nazi? No, but it just shows that they were using this period as their main source of reference/representations. Nowadays calling somebody a fascist just proves you are outdated. It was very clear for instance in the recent French presidential campaign. Sarkozy ten years ago would have be called on a constant basis a fascist (he's been called a fascist but fairly rarely) on the other his supposed "religious fundamentalism" was constantly refered to. (I've even wrote something about it here in French).
I am a free donkey!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 16:43

Although I generally agree with glce I'd go for this time with the diplomat:

Nazism was indeed an extrem form of racism preaching the white superiority.
This branch of racism that originates in the 18th century with the scientific revolution

also includes the colonial racism of which a great part of the world population had to suffer so if you add colonial and fascist racism you get most of the world populatioon.

'Colonial racism', as, for instance, displayed at times by the Spanish in America had nothing at all to do with the scientific revolution. Colonial racism is age-old, reaching extremes in all sorts of places, like the Teutons in Prussia or the Japanese in Korea. It basically arises from 'We beat you hollow so we're better than you'.

The Normans felt that way about the Anglo-Saxons just as the English felt that way about the Irish. (At least for a long time.)

And as you can estimate that the most recent events are usually those that are the most important in a nation's conscience

Of course you may have other forms of "racism" nowadays in particular linked to religious hatred.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 15:23
Although I generally agree with glce I'd go for this time with the diplomat:

Nazism was indeed an extrem form of racism preaching the white superiority. This branch of racism that originates in the 18th century with the scientific revolution also includes the colonial racism of which a great part of the world population had to suffer so if you add colonial and fascist racism you get most of the world populatioon. And as you can estimate that the most recent events are usually those that are the most important in a nation's conscience

Of course you may have other forms of "racism" nowadays in particular linked to religious hatred.
I am a free donkey!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 14:10
Its because they're hotter, and get the best pick of sexual partners.
Arrrgh!!"
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 13:15

Originally posted by pinguin

In Latin America, particularly in South America, there is also Nazism and racism. In Nazism in some places of South America has usually being based (hard to believe, but true) in the idea of the supremacy of mestizo.

Actually there is at least some scientific evidence for that in other species. Mongrels are always fitter to survive.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 10:13
Originally posted by gcle2003

I don't know about Nicaragua, but try a small town in Bolivia. Or in the north of Burma. Or Palestine. Or the Sudan. Or even Korea still.

(I'd be interested in Pinguin's and Pekau's views on that.)

Limit yourself to European and North American high schools and you might be right.

In Latin America, particularly in South America, there is also Nazism and racism. In Nazism in some places of South America has usually being based (hard to believe, but true) in the idea of the supremacy of mestizo.

So, every people can build its own racist agenda if they wishes.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 09:25
Arguably, the the lame arguments used to justify the continuation of slavery during the abolitionism era is more significant than Nazism, seeing as it still coolours anti-black racism, and had has a longer history to boot.

And whats with the 'Anglo-German North European superoitity' stuff? Uber-Anglo-nationalists saw (and still see) themselves as above germans, who suffer from 'continentalism'. Likewise Germans saw themselves as top of their world and so on, thats why they developed nazism. Its also why its called ultra-nationalist racism.
Arrrgh!!"
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 08:30

Gclc, I wish I could try in these countries, since I am a travel-lover.

Ofcourse I know KKK, chosen people, ancient superiority theories.. For I am a lover of history. But everyone doesnt have a special interest in history.

common knowledge of racism  is the Aryan theory. Almost Everyone knows about the Nazis, since there is a great deal of works in the literature and cinema about them.

Let us bear in mind that Any destructive ideology is remembered by its most extreme form. Thats a psycho-socioogical fact  This means that ''the most'' famous theory of racist theories will be the Anglo- German North European Superiority.''
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 08:10

Originally posted by TheDiplomat

Racism is much more extreme form, and the most famous one is, as es_bih pointed out, the theory that the Anglo-Germanic north of Europe is superior to everyone else.
A famous one, certainly, but only the most famous one if you have a very limited cultural and historical horizon.

Equally famous have been the doctrines that the Han Chinese are superior to everyone else, that the Japanese are superior to anyone else, that the (ancient) Greeks were superior to anyone else, and that the Jews and the Aztecs are the chosen people of God (different gods of course).

And I doubt that is an exhaustive list.

I said the most simply because when you talk about racism and its theory, what spring to the minds initially are  the Nazis and their theory. For many people around the world, the most well-known example of racist theory is the Anglo-Germanic north of Europe is superior to everyone else, and the best example for racism is Nazism.

That's what I mean by a very limited cultural and historical horizon. It's like saying the most famous Spanish artist is Picasso. Or the most famous European composer is John Lennon.

Let us not compare apples with oranges.

Ofcourse many people know KKK and think that the very establishment of Israel is racist. But you look from only your point of view, whereas I am trying to put things in a wider context. I am trying to think from the angle of someone living in a small city in Nicaragua, or someone living in a small place in a small country...
I don't know about Nicaragua, but try a small town in Bolivia. Or in the north of Burma. Or Palestine. Or the Sudan. Or even Korea still.

(I'd be interested in Pinguin's and Pekau's views on that.)

Limit yourself to European and North American high schools and you might be right.
 Maybe I should have used a different word otehr than the most famous. But generally in the mind of people racism is symbolized with the Nazis. Everyone knows Nazis..since they are the most extreme example of racism, they and their theory will always be remembered  with racism before all else..

You just can't change that.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 05:26

Racism is much more extreme form, and the most famous one is, as es_bih pointed out, the theory that the Anglo-Germanic north of Europe is superior to everyone else.
A famous one, certainly, but only the most famous one if you have a very limited cultural and historical horizon.

Equally famous have been the doctrines that the Han Chinese are superior to everyone else, that the Japanese are superior to anyone else, that the (ancient) Greeks were superior to anyone else, and that the Jews and the Aztecs are the chosen people of God (different gods of course).

I said the most simply because when you talk about racism and its theory, what spring to the minds initially are  the Nazis and their theory. For many people around the world, the most well-known example of racist theory is the Anglo-Germanic north of Europe is superior to everyone else, and the best example for racism is Nazism.

That's what I mean by a very limited cultural and historical horizon. It's like saying the most famous Spanish artist is Picasso. Or the most famous European composer is John Lennon.

Let us not compare apples with oranges.

Ofcourse many people know KKK and think that the very establishment of Israel is racist. But you look from only your point of view, whereas I am trying to put things in a wider context. I am trying to think from the angle of someone living in a small city in Nicaragua, or someone living in a small place in a small country... Maybe I should have used a different word otehr than the most famous. But generally in the mind of people racism is symbolized with the Nazis. Everyone knows Nazis..since they are the most extreme example of racism, they and their theory will always be remembered  with racism before all else..

You just can't change that.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 05:04
Originally posted by pinguin

I believe one should distinguish supremacist theories from plain "spontaneous" racism. Both exist.

Agreed, though I was thinking in terms of 'formal' and 'informal' racism. I think we mean the same thing.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 05:00

But even in terms of the 20th century I might challenge you, quoting the KKK instead of nazism, or the Japanese attitude to the Chinese and war prisoners, or even the existence of Israel. Rightly or wrongly, the foundation of Israel is seen as an example of racism by very many people indeed.

Edited by gcle2003 - 06-May-2007 at 05:02
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 04:34

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 18:30
I believe one should distinguish supremacist theories from plain "spontaneous" racism. Both exist.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 17:55
Creationism (the short term version) is much more supportive of racism than evolution, since it implies that the races were created separately. Since Biblical literalism also implies the subjugation of the children of Ham (associated with black Africans), fundamentalism in general goes hand-in-hand with racism (as indeed it especially did in South Africa).

Evolution necessitates that all humans (and not only humans) are related with common ancestors, which is a powerful argument against racism.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 16:48
Originally posted by Menumorut

There are opinions that Darwinism (evolutionism) contributed to the racism. See these movie and the other 4 parts (in the right part of the window):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCuPeZPl50w

There are two ways of reading your comment:

1) It is well know that Darwin's ideas were very successful very quickly after the publication of the Origin of Species. The so-called Social Darwinism was created considering some were inferior to others. Initially it was directed against the poors (necessarily inferior hence not worth pity or assistance) before being used abroad against whoever was not English ("niggers start in Calais"). Theoricians of racism loudly proclaimed Darwin their father in science.
The tiny detail anti-Darwinian always forget to tell is that a) Darwin never created a racist theories himself and never even mentioned human races in his books b) Darwin opposed directly racism and supported kindness and charity (remember social Darwinism was originally anti-poor).

2) Believing Darwin was racist because of the title of his book which just proves that you should not judge a book by its cover.

I am a free donkey!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>