Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Donau Swabians

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donau Swabians
    Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 15:13
has anyone ever heard of the donauschwabians?
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 15:15
of course...
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 15:24
have you really? i am donauschwabian.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 15:50
really? that's cool ebcause i'm original Swabian from Germany
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 16:11
Originally posted by Achilles

has anyone ever heard of the donauschwabians?

It was a large settlement programme by the Austrian empire starting in the late 17th century. Large numbers of mainly Southern-Germans, hence "Schwaben-Suebes" migrated into the areas, that the Austrians had conquered from the Turks, mainly in Rumania, Serbia and Hungary. In these areas "Schwaben" became the collective name for Germans. After the dissolution of the Austro-Hungarian empire and after WW2, a large percentage emigrated either back into Germany or Austria or indeed to North-America. But there is still a significant ethnic German minority living there.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 14:22
ya, i already knew that, i was lookign for other people who might have headr about them.

my grandparents (D.S.) moved from Yugoslavia to Austria after WWII. After they were put into labor camps by the Yugoslavians, becuase they were of German ethnicity.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 18:22
I spend some time in Yugoslavia before and during the wars, and my companions always pointed the "Schwaben"-villages out, when we drove trough the Voivodina, near the Hungarian border. You could tell the ethnic composition of the villages, by the way the houses and farms were laid out.I never met any "Schwaben", but there were apparently a few left.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply