Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rumble in Tallinn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rumble in Tallinn
    Posted: 06-May-2007 at 13:21
"Do they know the names of those soldiers that were buried, or are they unknown?"

There were Soviet data on the names, but i don't know if they have confirmed the same amount of bodies with the same names there and how true the Soviet numbers and names are.

"It almost seems like society is segregated. There's no real standard for what is taught in schools?"

Yes, i would say that the educational policy has atleast failed and that is actually the most important factor when you want to form a nation out of two different ethnical communities. Different knowledge about history will make you look differently at another nationality and distance you from them. I'd say that the people themselves don't have prejudices towards eachother based on if you are Russian or Estonian living here, but that  the state could do a lot more to hasten the integration process.
But to an extent Estonian Russians are still very different from Russians in the Russian Federation as it is a much more quieter place to live and you won't get so much news about Russian foreign policy, and the news on Chechnya for example are much more intense in Russia and so forth. I think many Russians her have gotten used to the calmer way of life, and there is much less nationalism here than in Russia. Just looking at the list of rioters you'll see that a large part of them had previous records of breaking the law. Some rioters gave themselves up during the days after the riots because their parents took them to the police station. So the Russians here aren't aggressive, they just want to be left at peace with the respect towards their culture and language - the ydidn't enjoy the looting and vandalism any more than a common ethnic Estonian.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 18:04
So what happend to the beaten Russian official? Is it a kind of equal response to the hacking of Estonian sites? Wink
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 03:10
What beaten Official? I already posted i have no record of that.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 03:20
Googled it: http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=62226

Anatoly Sorokin - a Russian citizen was in Tallinn due to a youth organizations activities. Seems like police brutality at this point, the officers should be fired if the article above is true.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789