Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hay
    Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 16:34
The Turkish word hay what does it realy mean?

The Turks use it alot

examples:

Hay!! yes( I did it/it worked) or darn
Hay anasini(hay his mother) meaning: darn, sh*t(said when dissapointed by something)

You also have hay basmak wich can't be realy translated but is something like : making haste(mostly in a negative manner)

and ofcours

Hay hay wich means : ofcourse or right away.

(the Japanese also use hai hai/hay hay but I doubt it's relatedBig%20smile)

So I realy have no clue about the word hay and it's origin.

does any one know?

I know this should be in the linguistics section but couldn't find it LOLConfused
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 12:04
Originally posted by xi_tujue

I know this should be in the linguistics section but couldn't find it LOLConfused

Its in the Intellectual Discussions sectionTongue

and if I remember I'll ask about hay next time I talk to my Turkish friend for you.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 13:29
I doubt that a normal person ould know the awnser or he might I don't know
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 22:36
Hay/Hey is also an Urdu particle meaning is. Urdu hay and Turkish hay might be related since there is a lot shared between those languages.

I'll move this to lingustics for you too.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 12:59
I think it might be related to Turkish word "Hadi", since in some Anatolian dialects it changes to "haydi, hayde". I might be wrong, it's just a guess :)
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 14:27
in Altaic and Uralic languages, there exist some words which only describe moods, without a certain meaning, like 'qay' which is equal to Turkish 'hay':

'qay' = shows anger

'poy' = shows regret

'wo' = shows surprise

Edited by gok_toruk - 30-Apr-2007 at 14:28
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 10:40
I think this is one of those universal words. It comes quite natural when you just want to cry out some sudden feelings. In Sweden the word, albeit with a slightly different spelling, can be used for example like this:

'Hej' (pronounced 'hay'), "hello"
'Hej! I know'  "Oh, I know [what we can do/where to go etc]"
'Hej!'   "Hey, you there! [getting someone's attention]" 

Edited by Styrbiorn - 02-May-2007 at 10:41
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 11:33
Yeah but in turkish it has nothig to do with it not even close sorry
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 11:58
1) "Hay" in "Hay a.ina koyim!" or "Hay Allah!"-which is an expression of surprise and confusion.

and

2) "Hay" in "Hay hay, tabii ki olur." - which means "Sure", "Yes"

are totally different two things. "Hay hay" could have a meaning. But "Hay" is just an expression of an emotion, which is rather anger or confusion.

And I think "Hay" in english is something like this: "OHHH!! Holy sh*t!"
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 13:07
Haydiiiii, bak sen şu işe.. (positive supprise?)

Haydaa, bak sen şu işe... (Negative supprise)

I think, It is suprise word.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 13:22
But we can't say "Haydi Allah" or "Hayda Allah", just say "Hay Allah," or "Hay Aksi." So "Haydi" and "Hay" are not interchangeable. Hayda is very similar to "Hay" though. But "Haydi" can be used for totally different purposes.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 20:08

Hay is a word that describes an emotion, there are many of these emotion describing words in Turkic like the examples Gok_Toruk gave, they're difficult to translate as they don't really have an equivalent.

Gok_Toruk
'poy' = shows regret

Turks of Cyprus always say "peh" extended "peeh", when they express regret.

Edited by Bulldog - 02-May-2007 at 20:20
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 01:43
But you don't know Turkish, right dear Bulldog?
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 15:44
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Hay/Hey is also an Urdu particle meaning is. Urdu hay and Turkish hay might be related since there is a lot shared between those languages.

I'll move this to lingustics for you too.

I think that particular Hay is a Hindi borrowing as the third person singular version of Hoon/Ho/Hain. 

The other Hay seems to have multiple uses in Urdu like "Hai Allah" (interjection for surprise/shock or expressing extreme despondence), "Hai Hai" (expresses tone of admiration, often used by the lecherous bollywood villain when looking over the movie's heroineLOL), or sometimes 'Hai' is a noun meaning something like curse or scorn (doing something dishonourable can bring on the "Hai" of the society on one) and lots of demonstration chants denigrating a person or a party are simply "xperson/party/thing-hai hai"

Edited by jayeshks - 05-May-2007 at 15:46
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 14:42
Originally posted by xi_tujue

Yeah but in turkish it has nothig to do with it not even close sorry

You miss the point. Bulldog and Hidden Face also presented it; it's an expression of emotion, and has appeared as such in several different places, meaning that it's quite a 'natural' sound (ie, that's my guess from where it comes from).
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 14:51
But it should be noted that your examples have nothing to do with Turkish "Hay".
the_oz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote the_oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 12:52
there is also word "vay" which has same mission with "hay".

for example:

vay anasını!

vay canına! etc.but i think these words has no sense.
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 18:06
hey Hidden Face! dont tell strangers our secret words "hay a.ına koyayım" Tongue
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 18:08
hey Hidden Face! dont tell strangers our secret words "hay a.ına koyayım" Tongue
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 22:18
Originally posted by The Hidden Face

But it should be noted that your examples have nothing to do with Turkish "Hay".
True. They might have been appeared through the same mechanism though (kind of like how most of the world share the "papa" and "mama"s).
 Post Reply Post Reply