Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mankind evolution... advancing... or declining?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mankind evolution... advancing... or declining?
    Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 00:45
Ok. Assuming that evolution theory is true, how would human beings have changed in the future? When we talk about future, we commonly talk about how advance the civilization is... how robots would do much of our chores, and how people will be come supersmart and all... but is that really our future?

I just watched the movie Idiocracy. Understand, the movie is not impressive at all. I don't recommend it. But it contained some interesting ideas. The movie talks about how evolution began to favor the ability to reproduce rather than the intelligence because human beings no longer feared any natural predators and became dominant species over planet Earth.

Although I still disagree that we would become dumber in the future since there are intense competitions between human beings... I think it might be a possibility. Could it really be possible for human beings to become more stupid simply because we no longer need intelligence? Look at the majority of youth today. Most of them don't read or write. We watch televisions. The movies these days are slowly becoming more comical and action movies rather than complex plays like Shakespearean plays. Our language is becoming more simple. (Just look at MSN history. Write like that in English test... you would probably fail.

Your comments?

Join us.
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 05:33
Originally posted by pekau

Ok. Assuming that evolution theory is true, how would human beings have changed in the future? When we talk about future, we commonly talk about how advance the civilization is... how robots would do much of our chores, and how people will be come supersmart and all... but is that really our future?

I just watched the movie Idiocracy. Understand, the movie is not impressive at all. I don't recommend it. But it contained some interesting ideas. The movie talks about how evolution began to favor the ability to reproduce rather than the intelligence because human beings no longer feared any natural predators and became dominant species over planet Earth.

Although I still disagree that we would become dumber in the future since there are intense competitions between human beings... I think it might be a possibility. Could it really be possible for human beings to become more stupid simply because we no longer need intelligence? Look at the majority of youth today. Most of them don't read or write. We watch televisions. The movies these days are slowly becoming more comical and action movies rather than complex plays like Shakespearean plays. Our language is becoming more simple. (Just look at MSN history. Write like that in English test... you would probably fail.
Your comments? 

Pekau though I do not believe that the theory of evolution is true, I do not see how it would result in us becoming less intelligent as though (according to the theory) mutations occur at random only  traits which increase the organisms chances of survival so it can reproduce are likely to survive and spread (hence the ability to reproduce has always been essential for evolution). Stupidity does not help one survive. The examples you have given such as illiteracy, low brow entertainment and MSN are all irrelevant as they are cultural factors and not genetic (unless your an adherant of Lamarkian evolution). Furtheremore what you will find that for the majority of history the majority of people have been iliterate and indeed in the past hundred years or so literacy has increased dramatically. Different taste in entertainment is not neccisarily an indication of intelligence. Finaly maintaining these destroyers of intellect ie. the Television and the internet would require people of great technical ability and hence intelligence.

Regards, Praetor.

Edited by Praetor - 25-Apr-2007 at 05:34
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 09:35
Pekau though I do not believe that the theory of evolution is true,
A theory (as the pope reminded us) is never true, it is more or less supported and potentially disproved. Beside the theory of evolution has two legs: one is merely a model explaning the evolution of living creatures and the other is an actual "natural history" (the rat, then the apen, then the human, then the Pekaus Simplissimus)

Stupidity does not help one survive.
Depends. Take domesticated animals: they tend to be dubbest than the wild ones (eg more problems to remember where is the food or to find their way out).

The examples you have given such as illiteracy, low brow entertainment and MSN are all irrelevant as they are cultural factors and not genetic (unless your an adherant of Lamarkian evolution).

I fail to see the point with Lamark That said behaviours may be inherited. Recent studies have even tended to show that genetics didn't explain it all as epygenetics and intrauterin causes may have effects on generations.

Furtheremore what you will find that for the majority of history the majority of people have been iliterate and indeed in the past hundred years or so literacy has increased dramatically.

There are several hypotheses out there trying to explain that by biological means and specially evolution.
I am a free donkey!
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 10:40
Degeneracy and Eugenics! hehehe.

I have a friend working on this idea from the early 20th century. The fear of humankinds intelligence and civility was declining, so there was a need to 'breed' a new form of human, through organised reproduction and family planning. hehehe.

Its interesting how the development of 'humans' in this way has been a hot topic for 1000's of years. The 'New Man' is significant for most philosphies and religions, yet is ignored by most people.

Personally, I don't believe we will become 'less intelligent' and I'm less than convinced that Intelligence is based on genes and birth. I'm more inclined to believe that its about 'nurture'. I mean lets face it - there are plenty of exceptions to the rule of 'dumb parents, Dumb kid, intelligent parents, intelligent kid'.

I think the most important things is in the development of kids, all through life. People can easily 'increase' their intelligence as well, through training the mind.

I think the main reason that literacy is an issue, is more to do with the lifestyles of parents, the changing attitude towards childcare and a general downward spiral in culture.

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 20:01
Interesting... and the question should have been answered assuming that evolution theory is true. I personally believe in creationism, but that's off topic.

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 22:14

Evolution is standing still.

For evolution to happens one need SMALL POPULATIONS and a lot of selective pressure. Evolution was relatively fast when men lived in bands of 40 individuals and all mankind were not more than a few thousands. In those conditions, the genes that had advantages spread quickly to the whole specie.

Today, with 6 billion people, evolution (or involution that for this example is the same) goes MILLIONS OF TIMES slower than usual. So, looking it in from a practical point of view, the evolution already stopped.

Pinguin

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 23:42
Originally posted by pinguin

Evolution is standing still.

For evolution to happens one need SMALL POPULATIONS and a lot of selective pressure. Evolution was relatively fast when men lived in bands of 40 individuals and all mankind were not more than a few thousands. In those conditions, the genes that had advantages spread quickly to the whole specie.

Today, with 6 billion people, evolution (or involution that for this example is the same) goes MILLIONS OF TIMES slower than usual. So, looking it in from a practical point of view, the evolution already stopped.

Pinguin

Evolution cannot stop

Here is an example. Did you ever wandered why some animals have only one offspring every 3 years while others mate every 4 month. An female Orangutan as a baby ever 5-6 years but could have a new one after only 1-2 years, why?
Because behaviours can be inherited. Some have a tendency to keep their offspring as long as possible while other don't but one of the two strategies is more efficient and will finally prevale. The same goes for humans.
But the conditions have changed a lot and are very different from one place to the other. Having only 1 or 2 children may be optimal in places like Brazil or India where investing in your kid's education is a very sound investment. On the contrary in the West kids are cheap (in relative terms) so having as many kids as you can is an intelligent long term strategy (purely in reproductive terms). Paradoxically in Africa too as the infancy death rate is very high so you'd better have as many as possible if you want your genes to have a chance to live on

So not only evolution is going on but it reacts differently according to the environment

Besides the speed of evolution has nothing to do with the size of a population. Sharks are not very numerous but their evolution has been relatively slow these last 300 million years (for some species). While there is an enormous number of flowers for instance but none of them existed 80 million years ago
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 00:35
It may be, but I believe you didn't graps my argument.

The genetic pool "evolves" when genes are replaced by new, improved ones. In a population so large as the one of today, replacing those genes will take hundreds of millions of years. A taks than in smaller population takes just some few generations.

Besides, it does not make much sense to have dozens of kids to preserve genes these days. Pretty soon, with the development of the "design babies", people will select the genes from what the market has to offer. The ones that don't produce the desire effect will be discarted. Then evolution will start to move fast. But we are half a century too early for that.

Pinguin

Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 03:48
Originally posted by Maharbbal

A theory (as the pope reminded us) is never true, it is more or less supported and potentially disproved. Beside the theory of evolution has two legs: one is merely a model explaning the evolution of living creatures and the other is an actual "natural history" (the rat, then the apen, then the human, then the Pekaus Simplissimus)

Maharbal a theory is either correct or it is incorrect, a theory is merely an idea about how something works that is not proven within reasonable doubt. Furtheremore the theory does not have two legs as if the "model" is inaccurate the entire natural history based on its concepts falls apart. Whereas some aspects of the natural history can be shown to be inaccurate without any bearing on the "model". Besides if you do not believe in evolution how could you possibly believe in apes evolving into humans?

Depends. Take domesticated animals: they tend to be dubbest than the wild ones (eg more problems to remember where is the food or to find their way out).

Domestication has far more to do with environment then inheritance. If you are refering to the domesticated species I think you will find that the reason animals like Cows and Sheep are domesticated is because they are placid herd animals that produce milk and/or posses an abundent amount of tasty flesh. However we also domesticate dogs, cats and birds which are unlike cows and sheep fully domesticated and are some of the most intelligent animals on earth. Furtheremore in comparison to all animals cows and Sheep are not that dumb. Finaly I fail to see how stupidity is an advantage (or rather intelligence a disadvantage) give me an example.

I fail to see the point with Lamark That said behaviours may be inherited. Recent studies have even tended to show that genetics didn't explain it all as epygenetics and intrauterin causes may have effects on generations.

Lamark believed that changes taking place to an organism during its lifetime (such as stretching of limbs, neck or tongue) could be inherited by its offspring. These changes in the content of a persons brain and thier personality such as the constant watching of bad television or learning to read and wright bieng inherited would require a form of Larmarkian evolution (though I'm not sure if he ever dealt with this particular concept). Do you seriusly believe that we inherit knowledge of Shakespeare and so forth?

There are several hypotheses out there trying to explain that by biological means and specially evolution.

Is thier a point here?

Regards, Praetor.

Edited by Praetor - 26-Apr-2007 at 03:54
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 04:34
Besides if you do not believe in evolution how could you possibly believe in apes evolving into humans?
You could believe that apes have evolved into human by (for instance) a god's direct intervention The theory of evolution is not all theories of evolution.

Furtheremore in comparison to all animals cows and Sheep are not that dumb.
That's not the point. What I've tried to say was a domestic chicken is on average more stupid than a wild one.

Finaly I fail to see how stupidity is an advantage (or rather intelligence a disadvantage) give me an example.
The study (reported by the economist) says that "that domestication in general may select for animals that respond more to stress, presumably so that they and their offspring can better cope with unpredictable owners." Read the article it is quite fun otherwise and very short.

Do you seriusly believe that we inherit knowledge of Shakespeare and so forth?
Of course I'm born saying "And now are the clouds of our discountent" but then a member of the audience dressed in white obviously did not liked it so he slaped me and (I was very emotional) I started crying. If you paid attention I did not say "knowledge" but "behaviour". It has been widely observed that behavioural patterns are often inherited (agressivity for instance see the work of Edward O Wilson).

Is thier a point here?
Sorry my bad. You can refer to the following articles (also be very careful reading them they are only hypotheses not based on case studies but merely of logical deduction and macro scale shaky statistics.
Galor Oded and Omer Moav, "Natural Selection and the Origin of Economic Growth," Quarterly Journal of Economics, 117, 1133-1191, November 2002.
and
Survival of the Richest.  The Malthusian Mechanism in Pre-Industrial England. (with Gillian Hamilton) Journal of Economic History, 66(3) (September, 2006).

Edited by Maharbbal - 26-Apr-2007 at 04:40
I am a free donkey!
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 11:52

Hmmm, I think that one aspect that this discussion has neglected so far is whether intelligence is solely a factor of genetics. What about the environment? Surely, exterior stimuli play a critical role in the development of the brain. An adult who as a child was always challenged to learn is usually perceived as more intelligent as an adult who was not challenged as a child. It has a lot to do with the myelination of neurons, the creation of connections and the way the brain adapts to its environment. Genetics are the starting point, but even a potential genius child would be crippled by years spent in a sensory deprivation chamber, to take an extreme example. So the question here is not only whether humans evolve and if genetic predisposition for intelligence is encouraged at this present point in the evolution of the species; but also whether the human society in general and cultures in particular are evolving to favor optimal development of human children's intelligence.

At first sight, one might be tempted to say, like pekau, that society is encouraging rather plebeian forms of entertainment and stimulation for children, and thus conditions for the intellectual development are less than optimal. This should probably constitute a whole other discussion, but I believe that these cultural trends have a lot to do with the dominant class in the society (in the words of Blanche Dubois from A Streetcar Named Desire-"The brutes are winning"!). Anyway, this argument only has limited merit, because most people forget that the rates of literacy are much higher than in the past. True, most children nowadays don't get the best education and most popular culture is geared towards the average joe, that is to say towards quite basic forms of stimulation. But on the other hand, this is still quite a bit better for most children than the conditions from 100 years ago when most of them did not know how to read and write. High culture is still alive and the intellectual elite still provides what most would consider a good environment for their children to develop in. It's simply that it's more difficult to see it because the intellectual elite's culture has changed and rather than attempting to educate the masses and thus propagate high culture to them, we have a situation where the elite is generally more commercial, money-driven and thus uses culture to make money. So, nowadays we get brain-dead sitcoms rather than theatre plays that deal with existential problems, because one can make a lot more money from the former. Instead of the elite trying to make the average joe appreciate Beethoven or Bach, we get Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys: they are much more marketable. Unfortunately this also results in a situation where the average child faces an uphill battle in improving his/her brain due to the cultural environment not being conducive to optimal brain development. However, all this could change if the society's values will change. Right now, we have a situation where the Enlightenment project of educating humanity is seen as a failure, and knowledge is no longer prized for its ability to improve the human condition, but almost solely for its ability to help someone make money. This could change however in the long run. Students of history should be only too aware that cultural values always eventually change.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 22:52
Mankind has been declining ever since agriculture began about 10,000 years ago.
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 22:58
Decebal:

When you meet a genious you realize genetics is important for intelligence. You can educate a child as much as you like, but if the kid does not have the right genetics harly will become a Mozart or an Einstein.

Adalwolf:

If you mean it has accumulated certain genetical disseases, I believe the increase has been marginal in comparison with populations of people that still today live in the wild. Today population is too big for deseases to be a serious threat to our survival.

Pinguin

Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 03:24
This is what I mean about agriculture: http://www.insurgentdesire.org.uk/agriculture.htm

Agriculture created warfare, disease, loss of stature, reduced the senses, separated mankind from nature, and created the slow but ever increasing death of the planet.

Congrats mankind! Job well done!

Angry
     Edward Abbey
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 03:56
Advance and decline are purely subjective here, but assuming our comtemprary standards are universal, if declining gives one an advantage, then those individuals will be more successfull and sire the next geenration.

Being stupid is no disadvantage to suriviving, our prehistoric ancestors of 40,000 years ago would probably seem pretty thick by our standards, but without them we wouldn't exist.
Anyways, as Pratchett said, Extelligence is probably at least, if not more important than intelligence towards present human achievements. Afterall, you can't go to the moon on your own, you need help from a rather large team of mates, and the accumulated knowledge of several generations.

Edited by Cywr - 27-Apr-2007 at 03:58
Arrrgh!!"
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 04:01
Look at the majority of youth today. Most of them don't read or write.

But yet they are more literate, more educated, and more likely to complete a university education than any generation of kids since, well, ever really.
Course, maybe Golf management isn't that usefull, and Art History maybe really is for thick rich people, but you still need to be able to read.
Arrrgh!!"
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 04:38
Originally posted by Cywr

Anyways, as Pratchett said, Extelligence is probably at least, if not more important than intelligence towards present human achievements. Afterall, you can't go to the moon on your own, you need help from a rather large team of mates, and the accumulated knowledge of several generations.

Present human *achievements*? What are they? Alienation from fellow man and nature? Destruction of the environment? Mass extinction of plants and animals? War? Genocide? Poverty? Inequality between men and women? Racism? Greed? Murder?

The more and more I look at the modern world, the more I come to despise it.

Besides, who wants to go to the moon? There's nothing there. The natural world is all mankind had ever needed. It is time people shake off the shackles of consumerism, technology, etc and realize this before there is no natural world left!

Again, mankind has been declining since the slavery of agriculture began.
     Edward Abbey
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 04:53
Originally posted by Adalwolf

Agriculture created warfare, disease, loss of stature, reduced the senses, separated mankind from nature, and created the slow but ever increasing death of the planet.

For your knowledge chimps fight wars and you hardly can accuse agriclture here. So do hunter gatherer tribes. Our ancester from the paleolithic and the present days unter gatherers have a manslaughter rate stupidly high (if I remember well 12% and 4% respectively of all death as compared to 20th century UK where it is closer from 0.001%). Peaceful people right?

It may have brought new deseases but may also have drastically reduced others and diminuished other forms of death (eg less risks to enconter wild beasts).

The loss of stature is very debatable as body mass varied greatly through the ages.

Our senses decreased but our intelligence increased (if anything statistically you have more chances to have pure geniuses in a large population than in a small one).

Urbanisation did separate humans from nature but interestingly in the late paleolithic in the Middle East you has "towns" (few tens of houses) of hunter-gatherers.

Concerning the death of the planet agriculture as later the Indutrial Revolution did allow us to escape the Malthusian trap. This of course create problems because our planet's system is based on the Malthusian trap.

So you shall have no fear and no anger towards agriculture. After all if it wasn't for it you most likely wouldn't be here. And that's the problem you cannot fight a system that made you, it would be a matricide.
I am a free donkey!
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 05:05
Why can't I fight a system that is morally wrong and bankrupt and that if continues will ensure the destruction of the the environment, and most likely itself? This system is worthless, nothing about it should be saved. The consumerist society of today is empty and meaningless and needs to go.

Hunter-gathering societies have been around for thousands of years. They are the most stable and peaceful (there were no wars where millions upon millions died, no genocide) society, and least damaging to the environment, that man has found. I'd say its time to go back.

What scientific evidence is there that brain capacity has increased in the last 10,000 years? I would argue that people thousands of years ago were more intelligent because they weren't on a path that leads to the destruction of the entire planet!
     Edward Abbey
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 05:16
Fighting consumerism on the most consumerist media sound more like a joke than anything.

I haven't said that our brain capacity had increased I said the population had and thus the odds of having innovation at a faster rate.

They did had genocide although there a genocide only included tens of people. If anything where did Nehanderthalis go?

I'd say people today are more intelligent because they can think thousands of years ahead.

Finally, what you tend to forget is that agriculture is becoming more planet-friendly by the day. Had we continued the 18th century techniques in France and Germany these two countries would be deserts as the shores of the Mediteranean or Northern China became desert because of deforestation and overexploitation of resources. Is it the case? Do you have to treck through dunes from Paris to Berlin? I'm quite confident that in a few hundreds of years you'll have a perfectly eco-friendly GMO agriculture. Even by our lifetime things are going to get better.

Ideally we will become urban hunter-gatherers picking up fresh food on our way to work.
I am a free donkey!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>