Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Endagered Amur Leopard killed...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Endagered Amur Leopard killed...
    Posted: 24-Apr-2007 at 01:52
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/04/23/leopard.extinction.reut/index.html

Absolutely terrible news. I fear this species is on its way to extinction. Cry
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2007 at 02:10
Tragic. They are such beautiful creatures, but are destined for extinction in the immediate future. I do not believe this subspecies of Leopard will ever make a come back, as the gene pool is so small now that not enough genetic diversity exists. Consequently, fatal implications like mutations and disorders will arise due to in-breeding.
The scarce Amur Leopard is featured in the Planet Earth series, with rare footage of a mother and cubs. Such graceful animals they are.
With less than 50 remaining in the wild, and 6 of which are females, the situation does not look bright at all.
As for the hunters, I will have nothing but contempt.

- Knights -
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2007 at 02:11
At least 100 are needed to guarantee the species' survival which depends upon female leopards breeding. There are more male leopards in the wild than female because cats tend to breed males when under stress

I found this a very interesting feature of the species. Perhaps a way of increasing the number of protectors during times when the species feels itself being threatened.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2007 at 02:32
Originally posted by Constantine XI

At least 100 are needed to guarantee the species' survival which depends upon female leopards breeding. There are more male leopards in the wild than female because cats tend to breed males when under stress

I found this a very interesting feature of the species. Perhaps a way of increasing the number of protectors during times when the species feels itself being threatened.

I guess you could increase protection during the breeding season, though it is a cost for the government, and in the countries where the Amur Leopard inhabits, that could be something unfavourable for the government.
In places like South East Asia and India, funds are having to be donated from organisations in order to cover expenses needed for conservation. Border Patrol, Poachers and Biologists are being donated and funded in various programs.
If China/Russia could develop something along these lines, or at least accept the initiative of an international conservation agency, for example, your suggestion could go to plan.
It would definitely ensure a much safer gestation, and less stressful. If numbers at least stabilise in a similar ratio, we have made a difference, and that in itself is worth it.
I believe if the recipient/inhabited nations are willing to take the initiative, then this idea of yours could go a long way. I know it has been very successful in other instances of conservation, such as with Bald Eagles in North America, and Little (Fairy) Penguins right here in Sydney.

- Knights -
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2007 at 00:32
I came across the official organization website dealing with extinction, I'm not afraid to admit it brought a tear to my eye.  I am in agreement with Knights in regards to my opinion of hunters/poachers especially when its an endangered spieces.Angry
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 00:41
Kill the hunters and not the animals!
elenos
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 07:37
welll say goodbye to one more species...I am sure we are next in line somewhere too, then maybe "eveyrone else" can say "good riddance"

Edited by mamikon - 07-Aug-2007 at 07:48
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 07:38
the CNN link does not work btw:

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/life/endangered-species/dn11708-amur-leopards-now-one-step-closer-to-extinction.html
 Post Reply Post Reply