Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greek Origin of the Romans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greek Origin of the Romans
    Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 15:50
Greek Origin of the Romans

Plutarch. Roman causes

Ianos ,an Ellin from Peraivia was the first colonist in Rome , α progenitor teacher & civilizer of the Romans. The Romans honored him as a God with many temples and also gave his name to the first month of the year ,January (Ianouarios in Hellenic).

Virgil .Aeniad tome 8 ,50-55

His oris arcades ,genus profectorum ,
Qui regem euandrum comites qui signa secuti
Delegere locum et posuere in montibus urbem
Pallantis poavi de nomine pallanteum .

On these shores Arcadians a line led by Pallantas and as they were followers of Evandros followed his banners chose an area and found the city of Pallantio from Evanders grandfather Pallanta.

Later at 138-161 ad the roman emperor Antoninos the respectful out of gratitude to the Pallantian colonizer gave honor to the pallantians with privileges making Pallantio (in Arcadia) from komi(large village) to poli(city). He also rid the inhabitants from any taxes and awarded them their freedom. (Pausanias. 4 XLIII, 1)

Julian hidalgos (emperor) in his work For the king helios to Soloustion 153 a. among his other praises to the Hellenes he writes besides the Romans not only belong in the genus (line) of the Hellenes but their sacred institutions (and those of justice) and their religious beliefs are from the beginning to the end Hellenic . Also in his work Symposium or lilies 324 a he writes although I know that you too Romans descent from the Hellenes.

Pausanias Arcadika 3,5

Oinotros a mythic heroe younger son of Arcados king Lycaonos .According to tradition he was the first Hellene organizer of a colony. With his brother Italon (from where the term Italians & Italy come from) and Peuketion lead Arcadians and colonized the shores of lower italy .The ancient name he gave the land was Oinotria and later took the name italy from his brother Italon .

Note that Lykaon was a contemporary of Kekrops that lived a generation before the Deukalion flood .Though the above part is an ancient myth even in antiquity it shows the depth of time that Italy was colonized by the Arcadian Hellenes.

Eusevios (fragm. Chronicles A CI CIH , tome 20 , pg 170)
The first Hellenes were the Arcadians and having filled the Ionian gulf colonized Italy led by Oinotros of Lycaon, fifth from Azeiou and Foroneus. After along time another Hellenic fleet led by Pallantios came to these villages in Italy from arcadia and Euandros led these colonies.

Justinian (Taktika leontos chapter 10)
The nation of Lycaon is most related to the Romans Lycaon came from Arcadia in hellas and when he came named this land Lycaonian\

Thus we can discover the names given to Italy had the following order = LYCAONIA OINOTRIA ITALIA .
Also not that the first Roman historians wrote in Greek and not in Latin
Namely:
Quintus fabius pictor
Lucius Cincius Alimentus
Gaius Acilius
Aulus Postumius Albinus

According to Cicero one of the first Romans who wrote in Latin prose was the Sabine Claudius, Appius Caecus who was consul in 307 and 296 BC. He delivered a speech in Latin to the Senate against making peace with Pyrrhus, the king of Epirus.

The first Roman historians who wrote in Latin were Porcius Cato (234-140 BC) and Lucius Cassius Hemina (circa 146 BC).

The name "Rome" in Greek means "power," "force," "fighting army" and "speed tactics."

The name "Rome" derives from two the Greek verbs: 1) roomai which means "to move with speed or violence, to dart, rush, rush on, esp. of warriors. "

The name "Rome" also derives from of the Greek passive verb: 2) ronnymi which means "to strengthen, make strong and mighty" and "to put forth strength, have strength or might.

The closest Latin equivalent verb is ruo, which is connected to the Greek verb reo meaning "to flow, run, to hasten."

Of all the uses of Latin verbs both active and passive there is none that even comes close to meaning "rome."

Romans, Latins and Sabines were agreed that the name quiris (sing.) quiretes (pl.) would be their common name which dictionaries translate as citizen. But the Romans had a name for citizens, like the Greek, polites, i.e. civitas. But the names quiris-quiretes derive from the Greek name kouros-kouretes which means young men of fighting age and therefore warriors, "young men, esp. young warriors," Iliad 19. 193, 248. So the Romans, Latins and Sabines called themselves first "warriors" and later "citizens."

Because all three groups of Romans, Latins and Sabines came to Italy by sea from Greece and Asia minor they were warrior sailors and sea faring peoples. It is obviously for this reason that at their weddings they shouted the Greek word Thalassios, sailor, at the groom and not the Latin name marinos.
Greeks and Romans in Greek & Latin texts

The rhetorician Quintilian (c. AD 35-95) regards the "Aeolic" Greek dialect as the closest to Latin

The Greek historian of "Roman Antiquities," Dionysius of Halicarnassus (c. 60 or 55 BC-c. 21 AD). He writes the following: "The language spoken by the Romans is neither utterly foreign (βάρβαρον) nor perfectly Greek, but a mixture, as it were, of both, the greater part of which is "Aeolic"; and the only disadvantage they have experienced from their intermingling with these various nations is that they do not pronounce all their sounds correctly. But all other indications of a Greek origin they preserve beyond any other colonists. "
Dionysius summarizes the reports of the Greek origin of the Romans by the Romans themselves as follows: But the most learned of the Roman historians, among whom is Porcius Cato (who compiled with the greatest care the origins of the Italian cities) Gaius Sempronius and a great many others, say that they are Greeks, part of those who once dwelt in Achaia, and that they migrated many generations before the Trojan war.

Edited by olvios - 20-Apr-2007 at 15:58
http://www.hoplites.net/
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 15:56

Is this your own work?  If not, please cite the source.  Also, I think your title is a bit too general.  I suggest "Greek Origin of the Romans."

olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 16:00
The source texts are all from  from mousaios tlg.I havent posted this in allempires before.Anyone with good knowledge of greek and latin can check the texts in mousaios.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 16:04
Originally posted by olvios

The source texts are all from  from mousaios tlg.I havent posted this in allempires before.Anyone with good knowledge of greek and latin can check the texts in mousaios.

Well, I for one, know both Latin and Greek.  But I have not heard of this "Mousaios tlg." of which you speak.  Anyways, I was not talking about citing the Latin and Greek references in edition, but the whole article you posted.

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 20-Apr-2007 at 16:05
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 16:09
Welcome olvios to All Empires .
Who is mousaios tlg?
Could you tell us your modern Greek source that refer to the original texts because i m not so good in latin and in ancient Greeks.

By antioxos at 2007-08-20
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 16:09
i composed it few years back.
http://www.musaios.com/ its a database of most soon to be all
ancient greek and latin texts.Its usefull check it out.
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 16:11
I got it from a friend but you can download it from the net  though not legally.
If you can find it shared somewhere.I thought it was widespread and that everyone had it.Cry
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 16:14

I got it from a friend but you can download it from the net  though not legally.
If you can find it shared somewhere.I thought it was widespread and that everyone had it.

Is this "Mousaios" a pirated version of something that the "Packard Institute" puts out?  I don't know, it seems a bit strange to me, for I have not heard of either.  I thought you might have accessed the reference on an academic website of some sort.  Personally, I cite references from academic books and stay away from questionable online material.  As for classical texts, the Loeb Classics Library (Harvard UP) has most of them in edition.

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 20-Apr-2007 at 16:21
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 16:28
i cross-refrence  with on hand  traslations  and any academic web site i can get.Its perfect .I use my library mostly the musaios is just a fast way to find text then get the proper book.
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 16:31
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/loeb/ loeb rulesSmile this reminds of book i have to get on plutarch.Thanks!

Edited by olvios - 20-Apr-2007 at 16:32
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 20:40

What are your thoughts on Dittmans handling of the language origins of Rome?

olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 03:34
What i write here is some myths and non myths on the relationship of greeks and romans through their testimonies on myths or their own personal and wider modern(at the time) perceptions.Intentional or not by them or unintentional i dont really mind but still they traced their lineage back to greece.

I dont have dittman?!
postam
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 12:27
Originally posted by New User

In order to keep the discussion moving, please briefly describe Dittman's thesis.

New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 14:41
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Originally posted by New User

In order to keep the discussion moving, please briefly describe Dittman's thesis.

"The oldest historians preferred writing in Greek both because

the Latin tongue was not yet sufficiently cultivated for historical

composition and because the Greek writings in the historical field

were manifestly superior to the official Latin records. The ordinary

view that the oldest historians wrote in Greek to keep knowledge

within the patrician circle is contradicted by the fact that one of

the oldest of them, Cincius Alimentus, was himself a plebeian.

The early Roman historian wrote in Greek as the oldest German

chroniclers wrote in Latin and as many German writers of the

seventeenth and eighteenth centuries wrote in French.

Up to the time of Sulla no libertinus wrote history, as is attested

by Suetonius: L. Voltacilius . . . primus omnium libertinorum . . .

scribere historiam exorsus, non nisi ab honestissimo quoque scribi

solitam ad id tempus.1 With this statement we may compare the

rose-colored picture of Tacitus: apud priores . . . celeberrimus

quisque ingenio ad prodendam virtutis memoriam sine gratia aut

ambitione bonae tantum conscientiae pretio ducebatur.ll

The task of the historian was early regarded as rhetorical;

hence there was indifference if not recklessness in regard to dates

and other matters of fact. Quintilian himself says: historiis quod

ipsum opus in parte oratoria merito ponimus.12 Because of their

predilection for rhetoric the Roman historians adopted the Greek

custom of interweaving speeches into their historical accounts.

Cato the elder and Antipater used speeches to an exaggerated

extent; the artistic historians, following the example of Thucydides,

used them to gain variety and characterization of the actors.

Of all this work it may be said that nothing powerful appeared

in Roman historical writing before the works of Sallust and Caesar.

Cicero's comments on the poor quality of historical composition

even up to his own day, together with the fragments that have

come down to us, reveal that with few exceptions the writers

followed the abrupt and unperiodic style of Cato. The Ciceronian

period witnessed the beginning of a new phase in Roman historiography.

Licinius Macer was the last real annalist, since L. Cornelius

Sisenna had in his contemporary history an arrangement

more according to subject matter than to chronology."

Dittman

The Development of Historiography among the Romans

When I have more time I will post somemore of hers and other theories. I apologise for not doing so in the first place (I have been studying this subject and just written essay on it) Living in the unreal land in which I seem to believe everyone has read the same obscure articles! lol

Edited by New User - 21-Apr-2007 at 14:42
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 15:00
Iwould also query your handling of what the name Rome means.There are some other thoughts on the matter I thought would be good to through into the discussion. Some say it is from Romulus others say it is from the Estrucan name for hard rhome. Other thoughts are that it is a proto Indo European word meaning river.

I like to think it is cos of Roma they were named Romans!
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 15:16
About the rome name i am not implying that i am right its just some of the explanations.Remos and Romulus  is  most likely as  genarches(line makers) i dotn know the proper word usually give the names to nations. Hellene was a mythical figure and  Romulus as well.
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 16:48

About the rome name i am not implying that i am right its just some of the explanations.Remos and Romulus  is  most likely as  genarches(line makers) i dotn know the proper word usually give the names to nations. Hellene was a mythical figure and  Romulus as well.

Yeah I just thought I would chuck some more ideas into your discussion. Apologies if I was treading on toes but I got all excited at your thread as I am into this research myself at the mo!

Thanks for kicking off the discussion.....
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 07:55
Whether the myths remembered by the romans indicate  a  populace migration from greece to italy  or simply a way to incorporate the romans in the mythic greek cosmology in a more profound manner is  a quiestion that they seem to have answered for themselves.  They believed it  so it must have had  some "real" basis and not just a "mythic" one.
zeno View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote zeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 15:57
for my first post i will be brief

having studied the myths of rome this year, the influence of greece on Rome's early stories is very clear.

however, this early period of Rome is longer than is often appreciated i think. Greece was very important obviously, but Rome developed in a unique way, with its own innovations
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 18:40
since this topic is "Greek Origin of the Romans" i think we should have another thread on Roman innovations before and after building the empire.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>